Musical Chain Game

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Musical Chain Game

Postby somitomi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 am UTC

First a disclaimer: this isn't my idea, a similar thread exists on the forums of Vinylengine (a site dedicated to guess what), although the guy starting it there says he got the idea from yet another forum.
Anyway, moving on, the game consist of someone suggesting a song, that has some connection to the previous song. The first to find this connection then gets to suggest a new song in the same matter. So the task at any time is to find the connection between the last two songs, and then suggest a new song that has some connection to the very last song. The connection can be anything you feel like, as long as it isn't too obvious or too obscure. The idea is that someone else should be able to find it within a reasonable amount of time, and proceed with the game. Perhaps there should be a time limit, after which the poster of the last song has to reveal the connection.

Anyway, I'm going to leave one song here, and hope someone helps me get this thing off the ground.
Paul McCartney - Off the Ground
write something... that says something... about something
❖❖❖
✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!
❖❖❖
hey/them/theirs = he/him/his > others
If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite (or for any other reason), I won't mind.

Rhombic

Re: Musical Chain Game

Postby Rhombic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am UTC

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:55 pm UTC

I think it's safe to say noone has guessed the connection, so I think it's about time to reveal it.
❖❖❖
❖❖❖
If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite (or for any other reason), I won't mind.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:58 am UTC

I had a go, and have no idea either. In the interest of keeping the game going (1), can I do one? Going back to the first song, Paul McCartney's Off The Ground.

The Space Lady - Major Tom

I hope:
1. This is not too obvious
2. I remember to check this thread periodically

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I had a go, and have no idea either. In the interest of keeping the game going (1), can I do one? Going back to the first song, Paul McCartney's Off The Ground.

The Space Lady - Major Tom

I hope:
1. This is not too obvious
2. I remember to check this thread periodically

Whoa, I thought this was dead for good. In hindsight maybe I should've started it in the Games section so I might ask a mod to move it there sometime.
Anyway, I guess the connection is that both songs are about leaving the ground/Earth. Assuming that's right, I'll try to keep moving with a song that has two links I could think of, one slightly on the obvious side and an obscure one (i.e. one requiring at least googling the artists):
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home

I will now listen to more Space Lady...
❖❖❖
❖❖❖

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:37 am UTC

On the internet, nothing is ever really dead, is it? I'm sure there's geocities sites still out there with 'Under Construction' banners.

Great song! I know I've heard it before, but can't remember where or when. Wikipedia tells me it's on a bunch of TV shows, possibly I saw it on Community? Maybe it's been on an advertisement? Or perhaps I heard it on the radio.

And yes, that is the connection. Like I said - reasonably obvious, but I guess after the first cryptic response I wanted to make sure this would have a chance of continuing. I suspect the new connection to 'Home' is that it's somewhere you come back to after leaving the ground / Earth? And perhaps the less obvious connection (thankyou Google) is that the band did a cover / tribute to Bowie. Yes?

If so, then onwards! There is definitely a link between this song and the last.

Pantha du Prince & The Bell Laboratory - Spectral Split

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I suspect the new connection to 'Home' is that it's somewhere you come back to after leaving the ground / Earth?

That's the general idea.
dubsola wrote:And perhaps the less obvious connection (thankyou Google) is that the band did a cover / tribute to Bowie. Yes?

That's actually something I didn't even know. The obscure connection I had in mind hinged on both artists using some sort of a stage name, but yours is actually better.
dubsola wrote: Like I said - reasonably obvious, but I guess after the first cryptic response I wanted to make sure this would have a chance of continuing.

I appreciate the effort, thanks.
dubsola wrote:There is definitely a link between this song and the last.

Then hopefully me (or someone else) will find it.
❖❖❖
❖❖❖

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:52 pm UTC

Gotcha'!
I think it's that both artists worked with Rough Trade Records. Now to think about a new link...

Maybe this will do:The Chills-Pink Frost
❖❖❖
❖❖❖

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:42 am UTC

Indeed! In fact both records were released on Rough Trade.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Indeed! In fact both records were released on Rough Trade.

Neat. And kind of surprising, considering the label is British and the artists are American and German respectively.
By the way (in case the only active participant missed it): the thread has moved to Forum Games, thanks SecondTalon!
❖❖❖
❖❖❖

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri May 26, 2017 5:21 am UTC

I'm back! I had hoped that someone else would get involved. Alas, it's quieter than a sound isolation room in here.

somitomi wrote:Now to think about a new link...

So, I thought I'd try again. And I must confess, I cannot see, or hear the connection.

Return to “Forum Games”