Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

The main thread can be found here, use that for in-character posts.

This thread is for everything OOC; discussions of current plotlines, plans for the future, resolution of conflicts, praise, feedback and all manner of such things.

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 pm UTC

... right. Time for Conflict Resolution.
Please refrain from writing on the contested storylines until the conflict is resolved; that way we can avoid escalation that ends with everybody dead.


In general, try to keep in mind that we are trying to collaborative story here. As far as I have seen, everybody seems to be invested in it; so assume that the others are working with you, not against you. Misunderstandings are a far more likely root cause of problems than malicious intent.


echo and Djehutynakht, if you two could please tell me what you consider the issue(s) to be, I would appreciate it.
Anybody else who has problems, please do the same.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:46 am UTC

Well, to be frank, I'm pretty confused. I didn't knowingly seek the escalation, and actively tried to address it OOC when I noticed it... which was ignored...

From what I can tell this has roots back in the Nolair issue. Echo raised concerns that my actions were going to impede her own ability to create a meaningful storyline. It was discussed among all members, my take was that it had been a misunderstanding, and, as discussion had stopped, I assumed that the issue had been settled. Apparently, it wasn't.

The current issue appears to be that Echo doesn't think I should be involved in the Conspiracy storyline. I involved myself with it, though have in no way attempted to impede her own actions in the matter, only introducing my own actions with relation to the issue, with a fair chance to respond.

She apparently was dissatisfied with my involvement, because at that time she started to mess with my characters (having one imprisoned). However, I continued in my involvement in the storyline. Around this point, Jack, the storyline's progenitor, decided to draw me into it deeper, by naming one of my characters as the Conspiracy's leader.

Taking the hint, I, naturally, developed the role that he had given to me and continued my involvement. Echo, apparently increasingly annoyed that I continue to take part, has decided to start killing my characters and threatening to kill more unless I do as she says.


To be frank, I was very willing to discuss any issues she may have had with me stepping on her toes and ways we could work around the issue, as we did with Nolair. My posts and OOCs should validate this. However, I now have very little patience for such a course of action. The attitude I have been presented with is one of a bully. She has essentially threatened that unless I play the game how she likes, she reserves the right to 'god mod' my characters out of existence as she pleases until I comply ("And if any taste is offered [of retaliation for killing your characters], the Harro Clothbolt death goes up").

I find this behavior deeply insulting and extremely hostile.

With regards to the halting the present storyline, I will comply as so far as this arbitration goes, but if her last actions are allowed to stand I have no choice but to retaliate, as idly standing by as such actions are allowed is not an option for me.


My apologies for your need to deal with these matters. Frankly, Echo is a terrific writer who I think has made some amazing story and crafted a very intricate and fascinating organization in the Graces, but these recent notions of pretentious thuggery deeply annoy me.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Echo244 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 pm UTC

Broader story:

Right, so let's start with Nolair. I've been reasonably open in offering a solution that gives space for everyone to be involved, rather than just one society, in the process offering a fair amount of forward-looking stuff that allows people to interact, work towards things, take up elements, add in things, whatever they choose. Rather than just having to create a Castle Nolair and the Duke, people have already picked that up and started throwing bits in, including at least one character I hadn't planned on. This is *great*.

I'm not sure how the Scuole solo power-grab fits into that; I kind of assume that's going to be toned down. I have no visibility of change, and little trust, but the thread in general seems to have picked up on the general everyone-involved-on-whichever-side plan. I'm happy to go with that, when I have attention to spare, making sure that everyone has space to work with.

Specific interactions:

So, I'm looking to steer away from the Scuole. Opening up Nolair to everyone felt like a long, tedious slog. I don't really want more.

Then we have the plot with Cuodr (...is that name Welsh?). Jack brings in the Graces by requesting support; I offer that. This is interesting, Jack and I have tossed around ideas between us and run with them in the past, I am looking forward to this.

Centus of the Scuole comes looking. The Graces aren't minded to give him access. This is me hitting the Nope button.

Heck, everything from Jack was somewhat vague about the threat; Cuodr gets protected from everyone, access only to trusted groups (Graces and Confluence, preferably named or bearing credentials). I express that by borrowing Centus, showing how he tries several different methods, and doesn't get anywhere, with an escalating series of consequences (hey, foreshadowing!). He gets thrown in jail to be released as soon as the Scuole get to him, mostly as a means of expressing that that avenue is closed. Heck, the Grace of Shadows even gets an awkward bit of dialogue - well monologue really - expressing that Cuodr is beyond "getting to". There are no paths to Cuodr. He gets protected, and to talk about the Conspiracy (which I left to Jack to determine more about the external threat he was creating to his own organisation). That moves things on.

...and suddenly we're back pursuing Cuodr. What? Thought I flagged that up crudely enough. I have to hit the Nope button again? Is this thing working?

Not asking, just finding. He's with the Graces; that's known. They're not disposed to allow access; that's pretty much what they've been asked to do. I throw in a letter expressing Cuodr's safety to Sato Rik, and a scene with Shadows messing with Reyan. Cuodr is protected - hell, I've even suggested a path to his future employment and prosperity and the option of having his name crop up as a notable historical figure after a timeskip; nobody gets in; Scuole meddling is explicitly discouraged; anyone wanting to contact him is offered an avenue. Write, c/o the Graces or the Confluence, or borrow him to write out and throw in a minor attachment to someone in or known to your organisation, making sure not to write too much in that Jack might want to define. There's space for involvement but it doesn't involve the Graces.

...and now we're back to someone "apple-proof" back bothering the Graces again. The Nope button is not working.

This is intensely frustrating. With the background of the Nolair situation, I have little trust. This is the third time we're headed down this same path. I've killed it stone-dead, twice already. That's a no, and a no means no. There is an avenue for involvement - write politely and ask, I can pass it on to Jack. But I feel like this is just endless conflict, it's not fun, it's not interesting. I've flagged up my frustration repeatedly, and the response - so the Nope button was at least noticed - was more or less that we keep on doing whatever we want, and that someone more unpleasant replaces the loan from the Guild of Knives.

I had just warned that that would involve dropping bodies. So, fair enough. That's the chosen path. Bodies drop.

...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand suddenly Nope buttons are a thing and totally work. How surprising. Literally everything else I've tried has failed. Maybe it's been too subtle or not understood. It takes that extreme level of action to get the Nope button to work.

I'd been planning to avoid interaction with the Scuole but suddenly I find myself as part of its focus, and the Nope button is nonfunctional. How do I stop it, other than a bunch of complete blocks, hitting the Nope button every time, and escalating warnings?

I kind of think the only way this thing works is with a functional Nope button, otherwise it just ends up with bodies all over the place, or whoever's got most time on their hands turning the whole thing into their own pet project. I'm happy with rolling back the assassinations (stick them in an out-of-universe spoiler or something? A couple of bits are crude but they're not that bad; deleting is also fine) but there's not much path forward without a functional Nope button, or recognition of its use.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 am UTC

And this is my problem. For all your talk about being concerned about my actions, your problem seems to be that you want to control how all of the plotlines work out.

First of all, I think we need to do a little defining. There are two elements in this game. 1) Ourselves as players, and 2) Our characters as story elements. These elements are... related... we decide what our characters do. But they are separate.

In this game we all interact in one big plotline. We each carry out independent actions through our characters and others react and modify according to these actions. We do not force each other into doing things but, rather, we leave wiggle room for them to respond to our actions.
_________________

With Nolair, this explanation of how gameplay works explains how our conflict as players is going to be resolved. The Scuole intention, as characters, is to exert solo administrative power over Nolair (with deference to the Confluence). However, that does not mean that I, as a player, am saying "Okay! Everybody else go home! Nolair's mine now! You can operate here if I let you, but I'm in charge!" The Scuole, as characters, intend to gain power in the city. We were all asked to respond to the Nolair crisis and that is how I decided the Scuole was going to respond. Take control over city=bring peace to city=good for Scuole. That's how I have them see it, and how I have them operate.

As a player, I realize that these goals will conflict with the intentions that other players have given their characters. And so in the Nolair plotline we will set society against society, with conflicting goals, and evolving plot as they attempt to reconcile and overcome one another. Just like real life.

I don't see what your problem is with that.

Your proposal, to me, honestly sounds more along the lines of wanting everybody to play along in the plotline you've mapped out for Nolair, adding in their own minor edits.
_____________________________

With the Conspiracy plotline, we now return to the difference between Player, and Character.

As a player, I wanted to join the Conspiracy plotline when it opened up. That is what this whole game is about. It is, to quote ODF, a "collaborative story". A part of the story opened up, I decided I wanted to be part of it. And so I made a rational to make myself involved. Not forcing my way. Not dominating the plotline. Getting involved.

The problem here is that we miscommunicated. When you send these 'warnings' through your characters, I can't be sure what you're trying to say. For instance, I know that the Graces, as characters, are trying to keep the Scuole from accessing Cuodr. But that doesn't mean, explicitly, that you, Echo, as a player wanted me to remove my characters from the plot. That didn't come across. I tried to address it to you directly when it became more clear, but you ignored that, apparently.

And once again, like in Nolair, I haven't stepped on any toes when appropriate. I don't just bust in and claim to have talked to Cuodr. I know you're watching him. I give you a chance to respond to the fact that I'm going to see him (if I hadn't, it would've been much easier for me). I involve myself with the plot, but I do not dictate it. That is how these games work. You are perfectly free to dictate your own responses and actions, as I am. Once again, there is a difference between the Graces not wanting the Scuole to get access and you as a player not wanting me as a player involved in the plot. You as a player could very well welcome the Scuole trying to get as Cuodr as a good writing opportunity in having the Graces try to stop them. I don't know what the connection is between your game-actions and your real thought when you write.

But once again, the whole point of this game is Collaborative Storytelling. I involved myself in the plot, as I had every right to. You saying that I have no right to be involved is equivalent to me telling you that, since the original Nolair post only gave the Graces the Disgraced issue, that you should only deal with that issue and butt out of my plotline dealing with getting the city under control. But you made up a reason to get involved, just like I made up a reason to get involved with the Conspiracy. To be involved meant to talk to Cuodr. Since you were barring access to him, that means coming into conflict with you. Who says I have to listen to your rule about sending letters? Would the real Scuole trust that? Or would they feel it their unalienable right to talk to the boy?

As I got deeper into the plot, I was co-opted into the plot by Jack, who decided to name one of my Scuole members as head of the Conspiracy. If I didn't have a reason to be involved before, I certainly had one now. And with that reason came a new evolution of the the Scuole's involvement. They believe they are involved out of a simple case of charity, yes, but in reality they are being manipulated by the Conspiracy, which has infiltrated them and is using them in order to further their plans, including obtaining Cuodr and smearing the Graces (you did join this plotline to interact with the Conspiracy, didn't you?).

And once again, was very careful with that. Didn't want to impact the Graces negatively for something Jack, not you, made them do (re: Window) unless you were okay with that. Very blatantly asked you if you had a problem with the way things were going. But you did not engage in any dialogue.
_________________________________________________________

What infuriates me is not that you don't want me in the plotline; I get that. It is the utter arrogance that you think you get to dictate terms here. You do not get a "Nope Button". Nobody gets a "Nope Button".

You are as free to voice your concerns or to retaliate or to engage yourself as much as you want, but you do not have Veto power over other peoples' involvements in issues that are not exclusively Grace-related. You can choose whether or not to engage, but you cannot force somebody else to not attempt interacting with you, especially when you are preventing them from doing something they want to do. That is not how stories work. That's not how collaboration works.

I am not going to stop because you kill my characters and threaten to kill more unless I do what you say. In fact, it only makes me want to get involved. More. And more. And more. Because you do not get to threaten me unless I run my story how you want it to be run.

For someone who complains about sending people "immune to apple-throwing" (and where did I ever do that?) your own characters seem to be haughtily invincible. Oh yes, I may have a character who is perhaps my best adept at combat, standing on his own home turf surrounded by hot, metal weaponry, loud clangy things, and tons of reflective surfaces in which he might catch somebody sneaking up behind him, but oh! Oh! The Grace of Shadows. Well, I guess the jig is up! Nobody could possibly defend from an attack from Echo's wonder society!

[On this note, ODF and friends, I think we should establish some sort of protocol for killing other peoples' characters. Such killings are probably going to be part of any storyline with inter-society conflict. But I think allowing for anyone to be able to kill anyone's characters is going to cause a lot of grief, a lot of retaliation, and a lot of fighting].


Your very original post stated that the Graces regularly infiltrate the Scuole. I did not raise any sort of heckle at this most base intrusion. I let it be. Because its how stories work. I reject the arrogance that I can't simply try accessing a boy (and once again, don't give me that letter excuse), can't try simply attempting to be involved, leaving you plenty of room to block, whereas you have absolute liberty to kill other peoples' characters whenever you feel like things aren't going just the way you wanted them to.

If you want to communicate, communicate. And if you don't want people involved in your stories, don't write in a thread created for precisely that purpose.

I reject the idea of a Nope Button and if one exists, I reserve the right to push it myself. Because so much as you find my conduct unpleasant as of late, I'm feeling very Nope! towards yours myself.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 am UTC

ODF and others should probably weigh in at some point, because otherwise this is going to turn into a bickering match and the other thread will die on the vine.


(I could accept the option of my characters' deaths and use it to make a major continuation of the storyline, but such a course would by necessity involve retribution toward the Graces, both for plot purposes and also because I refuse to play a game where somebody can mess with you like that and demand that they suffer no consequences because they felt justified doing it).

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:13 am UTC

A couple of things:

1. I'm really not OK with wanton murder of other people's characters, especially with no repercussions (unless you discuss it with that person first). Murdering your own is fine (re: Guildmaster Farrell), or removing assets (burning down the Inn at Drymouth), but I draw the line at murder. Not to mention, given how I'm trying to shape the Knives into a quasi-police force, they'd be very motivated in stopping that.

2. I'm honestly not sure what Echo's issue with either Nolair or Cuodr is. Everyone takes part writing the story, and has to react to what the others are doing - that's part of the fun, coming up with responses to things you weren't expecting. I thought that Djehutynakht's response to the Cuodr situation was appropriate, given what Jack had written regarding the boy. While I can understand Echo's frustration on the Charter of Nolair issue, it seems a reasonable and responsible thing for the Threefold Confluence to have done (it brings to mind the request for self-governance of the Kurds in Iraq, to bring a real-world example into it). Additionally, who says the Duke would even pay any mind to the Charter, or give up his own power? Given our own world, I'd find that highly unlikely, which gives the rest of us room to maneuver around the Scuole.

3. I responded to the deaths of Ax and Santo as quickly as I did because fire is such a huge danger to any city, especially a pre-industrial one (see: London Fire of 1666, Great Fire of Rome, even the Chicago fire of 1871, etc.) There would be massive and immediate retribution if someone deliberately set a fire like that, indeed, the Great Fire of Rome led to the persecution of Christians in the Empire.

4. I think that all this could have been avoided if instead of using subtle hints, just say something openly. Our factions may be in conflict, but we're supposed to be having fun, not fighting. The idea of a Nope Button... is not something I'm behind. If you think that someone has written something you disagree with or would like changed, talk to that person, either here or in PMs. For example, I'm not sure Reyan would be foolish enough to draw her sword on the Grace of Shadows, but I let it be because it was well-written and sortof made sense with the character. I don't like that the sword was taken away from her, but it gives her some motivation to get it back, which gives me a good writing prompt for her.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

I basically agree with eran_rathan's points.

Echo, I don't feel I really understand your position.

Echo244 wrote:I'm not sure how the Scuole solo power-grab fits into that; I kind of assume that's going to be toned down. I have no visibility of change, and little trust, but the thread in general seems to have picked up on the general everyone-involved-on-whichever-side plan. I'm happy to go with that, when I have attention to spare, making sure that everyone has space to work with.

I feel the power grab by the scuole is very much in character both for the scuole and the confluence. Why do you feel this move is limiting the rest of us? To me it does not even feel in conflict with your own plan.
It's also far from a fait accompli. Rebellions are messy and volatile affairs often with many factions and subfactions vying for power. Harro, with his confluence-issued charter might not be as popular as he expects.

Echo244 wrote:So, I'm looking to steer away from the Scuole. Opening up Nolair to everyone felt like a long, tedious slog. I don't really want more.

Why exacty are you looking to steer away from the scuole? Do you mean you want to spend your time and attention developing the other storylines?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Queen Arasene
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 am UTC
Location: Here.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Queen Arasene » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

Believe me, I am nowhere near active enough even in reading through everything to know most of the ic politics, much less get a clue about anything that might be working behind the scenes. Then again, my faction has neither taken a significant interest thus far nor got a specific problem to deal with in this time period, so I'm very okay with that.

So, seen from this side: I see kind of a mess. Mostly, I understand that there are some creative differences in what is going on and what is planned- which in general seems pretty normal. People always have different ideas of what is going on and what should happen next. What I understand less is the escalation that's come from this.

On the other hand, the result of escalation is pretty clear, and that's why we're all here: I can at the very least agree that such a thing as 'dropping bodies' is a point we should never allow ourselves to cross. Within your own faction I honestly don't care what you do, but no player- with maybe, maybe the exception of the GM- should have the power to run in and assassinate important NPCs or PCs from another faction without their consent. Believe me I'm all for planned assassinations and stuff, but the emphasis here is on planned. As was mentioned, we're writing together, not against each other. Especially when it comes to violent interactions, this is important and honestly if two people can't figure out how to resolve an IC fight, let an impartial third party decide.

In conclusion, we are still writing a collaborative story. This means that we allow our plans and ideas to be influenced and molded by those of others to create a greater whole: at least where other players are involved. If I said the Ground Wizard of Nolair decided to take over the place, everyone would probably hate me ic, but saying something doesn't give me power. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Until things have been arranged ic to something that is clearly agreed upon, my word counts little enough: all it does is provoke others to rally against me ic. And ooc, most of what I would have done would be to throw a wrench into people's plans about governing the city themselves, and to create a major writing opportunity.
It's Magic. I ain't gonna explain shit.

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:45 pm UTC

I like the idea of a Nope Button. This game is supposed to be fun for everybody, and it important that people have the opportunity to tell others when they are not okay with what is happening. Otherwise we end up with bottled anger and irritation, which will seep into the writing and then we're back to escalation.

As has been noted by Echo, her attempts at pushing the Nope button didn't work; it doesn't really work in-game. Here the player/character distinction is very important. It is difficult to tell what the players are feeling from their characters' actions. You can easily write an angry and hateful character while you as the player and gleefully grinning because you are helping to write an amazing story. So in-game attempts to stop something you don't agree with will instead look like obstacles to overcome, not as a reason to stop. In fact, since there are new and interesting challenges, it is like an invitation to become more involved. Since it doesn't work, you'll try again with more and more drastic measures, which may make the other player annoyed and can quickly lead to escalation.

So, the working Nope Button: Post in this thread, start your post with a big NOPE. Explain what the problem is. I will freeze the relevant plotlines while people talk it out, and we will find a solution. If you think there are problems that can't be solved then you are underestimating human creativity.

This is a useful button to have when somebody assumes things about the world and specifically your group that go contrary to everything you've been trying to establish. Or when you don't really feel like you can currently handle playing with one other player because of prior issues. That is understandable, and we can accommodate it. It's a big world, and while I am always happy when you all play together, there is certainly enough room to separate two players for a while. It just needs to be planned well. Or you might want to push the button when somebody kills your character out of nowhere. Or just takes your character or society and uses it for something they would never do.

However, do not take this as encouragement to push the Nope button every time. Often, you can see things coming, and talk it out while nothing really bad has happened yet. Again, use this thread for the talking things out.

Basically, follow this guideline: Resolve any issues your characters have in-game, resolve any issues you as the player have here in this thread. Resolve your player issues early, and before you deal with in-game issues.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:48 pm UTC

The Nolair situation doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, so feel free to continue writing on that.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

You realize that Echo's definition of 'the Nope Button' is the ability to do whatever she wants in game in order to send a message?

I do see your point with your version of the conflict resolution. Its not a bad idea. And Im willing to look into it.

But with regards to the current case, Im concerned. If we're barred from interacting with certain societies, that greatly restricts our ability to create realistic storylines. And Im concerned that being forced not to interact with Echo pushes me out of a storyline she has no right to push me out of (the clear example here being that she has Cuodr. He is the progression of the Conspiracy storyline, and if I can no longer interact with him because Echo has him (interacting with him through Grace-approved channels is a plot element I have no obligation to follow) then I can no longer participate). In that same sense, Im not completely opposed to killing of each other's characters, because it may make sense story-wise. But I oppose Echo's method and motivation of doing it.

I do agree that people should have much more control over their own personal their-characters-only segments. If I was to break into the Graces Teahouse with the Grace of Blades, where I have no reason to be right now... I accept being stopped. But not in a collaborative storyline in which Echo happens to be a participant.


But yes. I see the point you're making.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:As has been noted by Echo, her attempts at pushing the Nope button didn't work; it doesn't really work in-game. Here the player/character distinction is very important. It is difficult to tell what the players are feeling from their characters' actions. You can easily write an angry and hateful character while you as the player and gleefully grinning because you are helping to write an amazing story.


My main issue with this is that, as I noted, if you have an issue, don't go for subtle and circumspect. Just say something, directly to the person or the GM. Don't try to do via hints or IC or whatever - if I get pushback on something, I'm more likely to think that means 'I want to engage your faction with mine!' not "Back off this thread" (and as I said I'm not a fan of the Nope Button, but I will respect everyone's wishes in regards to it).



orangedragonfire wrote:So in-game attempts to stop something you don't agree with will instead look like obstacles to overcome, not as a reason to stop. In fact, since there are new and interesting challenges, it is like an invitation to become more involved. Since it doesn't work, you'll try again with more and more drastic measures, which may make the other player annoyed and can quickly lead to escalation.


Yes! This!
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

So... what's the deal?

User avatar
Queen Arasene
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 am UTC
Location: Here.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Queen Arasene » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

We write. I believe odf owes us a general ruling on what is canon and what is not; or you and echo talk that particular issue (what with the murdering) out.
It's Magic. I ain't gonna explain shit.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

I feel like we're waiting for Echo to come back? I was expecting her to continue the discussion here to get things resolved and moving again.

Echo, you've been gone for about a week. Are you still reading this/ planning to contribute?

I'm hesitant to continue writing the current storyline without Echo/the graces.

Wild suggestion: we could maybe timeskip now, keeping the resolution of the current period fuzzy. When we've got things resolved we can finish the current storylines/Nolair (or keep it a fuzzy 'noodle incident')?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah, I had hoped to hear from Echo again on this issue. Since she is deeply involved in two of the major plotlines, her absence makes continuing difficult.

I do like the idea of putting in a timeskip now. So... let's give it a week.

There will be a timeskip in one week. Use that time to wrap up any plotthreads that you feel need wrapping up. But don't be afraid to leave some things unresolved, this will just add mystery and depth to the story.

Important: If you wish to play after the timeskip, post an updated version of the sign-up form in this thread by then. You don't have to have played the first part. Any group that isn't signed up for the second part will be handled as inactive; so they will mostly be involved with themselves and not the plots that everybody else scrambles to solve (similar to the Scouts right now)
You can still join after the week is up, but I'd prefer having an idea of who's still with us. Also, I will prepare the next event for then, so if you join late then you'll not be included in that event.

Oh, and feel free to tell me how long you think this timeskip should be. I'm thinking at least 20 years, maybe as much as 100.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

If Echo does not return, Im going to obviously assume without opposition that she in fact failed to kill my characters.

Unless...

My-post murders storyline includes, ultimately, a huge culmination in The Conspiracy plotline. If people are interested in seeing this happen, I can go forward with it. If not, then Ill just have the Man in Black Cloak continue his normal routine.


Also, we should figure out the 20 vs 100 year skip soon so we can plan for plotlines. If its 20 years, we're seeing many of the same characters, only aged. If 100 years, we need to prepare for all of them to die and plan accordingly.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby eran_rathan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:36 pm UTC

I am definitely still in, and would like to put in votes for A. scrubbing the timeline of the murders and B. Only 20 years - some of my characters have some unresolved issues that will be interesting.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:50 am UTC

I'm in favor of scrubbing the murders, but I'm not involved in that plot so feel free to ignore my opinion here.

I like the idea of a short (20 year) timeskip now, deepening the current era and characters. The country would still look very familiar. The following skip could then be longer, into a new era, with bigger changes in technology and (geo)politics.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

I would put up a new sign up form but the magnitude of the timeskip will influence the content.

So this + timeskip changes.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
orangedragonfire
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am UTC
Location: It exists. Probably.

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm UTC

Okay. Twenty years timeskip, the murders didn't happen.

Please repost your Sign-up sheet; just copy it from your first post and update it. Make special notes of any changes.

Group Name: (the name of your group; The Black Shadows; The Underground Conspiracy; Lonely Farmers; Mighty Hunters; The Chosen; ...)
Aspects: (short words to describe which aspects of society your group deals with. Suggestions include Military, Religious, Trade, Leadership, Food Production, Internal Affair, Espionage, other Production, Craftsmanship, Indoctrination, Rebellion, ...)
Mark with green any aspect that is new or grew, and with red any that shrunk or vanish. So, for instance:
Religious++ Craftsmanship++ Indoctrination+
Here religious influence grew, craftmaship shrunk, and indoctrination was added as a new aspect
Description: (a longer description of how your group fulfils your aspects, as well as how it acts in general)
Leadership: (how your group is run, if applicable)
Relations: (only relations to other active groups are required; though you may post relations for the rest if you want)(relations to the groups of the other players. What your group thinks of them, knows of them, how it acts towards them etc.)

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:59 am UTC

Player name: Plytho

Group Name: Harvesters of the sea

Aspects: Food production+++, Exploration+, Craftsmanship++, Transport+

Description:
Before wrote:The harvesters of the sea control all fishing and other sea-related harvesting activities, up to and including the busy fishmarket. Fishing includes mostly coastal plus some whaling. Other activities are related to nearby rocky islands and atolls where harvesters collect swallow's nests, bat guano and some pearl oysters. Access to the sea is granted to harvesters only. Poacher's boats are confiscated or destroyed. The focus of exploration is expanding profits by finding valuable fishing grounds. The harvesters are not a religious group, but they do have a number of superstitions and rituals. Many harvesters are members of the main religions. The harvesters craft their own boats, nets and other tools of their trade and will sell some of their work at the fishmarket.


This has largely remained the same. The main changes for the Harvesters are an increase of transport of goods and people as well as more influence regarding land-based craftsmanship. The harbors in the country have expanded, allowing for more warehouses and workshops for the craftsmen. A significant amount of Harvesters now have careers that don't involve ships.

Leadership: A council of elder harvesters, representing the different activities, lead the group. They oversee acceptance of new members and set prices for the daily catch.

Relations:

I'd prefer to wait for the changes in the other factions before updating relations.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1840
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Create Your Own Society Discussion Thread

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

Player name: eran

Group name: The Guild of Knives

Aspects: Military+++, Internal Affairs +, Law +, Religion +, Espionage +

Description: The Guild of Knives is a quasi-religious military order. From steely-eyed veterans and fresh-faced farm boys, everyone is welcomed into the Guild, provided that they survive the rigourous testing. Once solely mercenaries, the leadership of Guildmaster Marcus Coil has led to the removal of many contracts, replaced with a town-by-town contract for peacekeeping, as well as watchmen. The Hall of Knives is located in the capitol, with smaller guildhalls along most of the trade routes and in most cities. Guild-members wear weapons openly, even during religious services.

Leadership: Guildmaster Marcus Coil is the supreme commander of the Guild, followed by eight Sevenths (each who command a cohort of several hundred men), with lesser guildposts being run by Sixths or Fifths.

Relationships:

also holding updating to see other factions updates.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ


Return to “Forum Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests