HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

patzer

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 5)

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:12 pm UTC

Pinging faubi and rosewinsall,
faubi wrote:

Rosewinsall wrote:
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
4 ATTACK right-down
rest MOVE down

faubi

Postby faubi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Grab Down-Right
2 Attack Up-Right
3 Attack Up
4 Attack Up
W Move Up_right

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:39 am UTC

Turn 6

Redundant
Spoiler:

Commentary-

faubi got her first kill, by a sneaky grab-attack combination catching heuristically_alone's 5 off-guard.
emlightened and faubi continue to carefully maneuver around each other, as do heuristically_alone and Soupspoon, but no kills there this turn.
Soupspoon's 2 is finding itself increasingly out of the way.

hexturn06.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

threetwoone

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 6)

Postby threetwoone » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 am UTC

Spoiler:
5 grab down-left
1 attack down-right
3 attack up-left
2 move down-left

:)
---Three Two One!---

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 am UTC

Confused, for a moment, about who killed who. Luckily, by the respective maps being on separate pages which nicely scrolled to near identical positions without me even trying, doing back/forward in the browser revealed the movements.

Not my move, just me blathering about game notation mechanics Anyone may read this, it's just quite verbose and not actually important, so Spoilering it to stop it interfering with things,
Spoiler:
By having a new piece atop the old one's point of demise, the clue as to where it had been was wiped. No obvious way to remedy this.

But it also made me think that Faubi 2's attack-lozenge perhaps would have been more clearly marked upon the post-grab-position perimeter, facing the actual Heury 5 death-spot, rather than from the pre-grab spot from where it was never used, even if it was the point at which the piece was when it was preordained to happen. But I only noticed that because I had no prior involvement in that area and had to work it out from checking both images carefully!.

Maybe that's the markup convention, I must check where it happened before. I know it only applies to Grabbed pieces, because only Grabs move things off-hex prior to any other action taking part that now happens elsewhere but not upon the original coronal 'shadow'. Plain moves have no other coincident actions spent on the departure spot than the move itself and Pushed movements happen after everything else has fired off (or tried to) so do not change the 'spark' indicator between request and actioning.

Naturally, it's likely far easier from the GM POV to mark everything where it is at turn-start, then process it all in strict order, but I'm wondering if a 'departure shadow' version of the original request could be left while the post-Grab position features the original intent in its actual implementation slot.

This second spoiler is a superfluous Move Mechanics pondering, probably already discussed elsewhere.Also viewable by all who care to.
Spoiler:
Also: considering the concept of a game-changing-mechanic by adding a "Rotate" effect. Not sure how far through the Move Order to place it but, when actioned, I'm thinking that any of (up to all six) adjacent slots with a piece in is given a sixth-of-a-turn rotation in a given direction.

(Technically the opposite of that which the Rotating piece does, but if it's an omnidirectional action them you might as well specify the neighbouring effects and assume the central cause is the opposite... Or imagine it as chain-linked, not geartooth-linked. I was going to suggest that neighbouring Rotate tiles would, cancel each other out, but if Rotate is omnidirectional¹ then a Rotated Rotator doesn't actually suffer any side-effects worth speaking of.)

Maybe additive, or at least cancellable. i.e. two (or four or six) Rotations applied to a 'victim' in an opposably-paired manner results in no change. Even if you wouldn't entertain the possibility of two commonly-directioned impulses (or three and one counter-rotating, or four and the remaining two counter-rotating) sending the common target into a ⅓-spin (two sixths'-worths), etc. Good for both a double-'attack' of such interference (if allowed) and also friend/foe attempts to outguess and counter/counter-counter/etc (alongside 'misaiming' a post-Rotate skill on the assumption that a Rotate will happen and present the action back upon the actually intended vector).

I'm thinking the visual markup would be a gradiated shade (appropriately oriented for the rotational direction) of grey upon the 'action' slots. If it's not omnidirectional, just applied to the chosen target vector. If it moves a subsequent move-type around then (re)draw that with the appropriate gradient from washed-out to full to indicate movement. (Eaay to do in GIMP/etc, not actually sure if the newest versions of Paint have gradient support.)

¹ The other option is the far less powerful option of requiring a linear direction and a rotary direction to be specified. It only acts in that (linear) direction (or, like Defend, that and the adjacent edges) in convering the desired (rotational) effect. Then clashes between adjacent pieces' intents would have to be dealt with like the two-stage Grab'n'Get, as well as formalising conflicts/reinforcements of spin upon any given target.

Those two things said (and needing no reply, especially if old-news), I now ought to think about my moves, and not stuff that won't change during this game. Next message, shortly, I imagine!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 am UTC

Ok, this is my actual move, so that it's official that you don't peek into this one when you shouldn't…
Spoiler:
1: Defend Down (two obvious incoming attack vectors that I can't ignore or otherwise counter)
2: Move Down (best bet is to move towards being hammer/anvil to Em's anvil/hammer)
3: Attack Left-Down (Protect/Attack/possible-Exchange-Of-Pawns, with varying degrees of likliehood)
4: Move Up (a Defend may have been expected, or it might end up being a sacrifice, but I'll take the result regardless)
5: Move Left-Down (next-turn hammer/anvil counterpart to 321¹, if necessary?)
W: Push Left-Down (should be interesting, whatever sacrifice I might have had to endure, so long as Heuri doesn't double-dodge!)

¹ If 321 hadn't already posted a move, whatever it is, I might have side-posted a suggestion that 321#5 grab Rose#4, 321#3 defend against possible attack originally intended upon My#5 and then we can, between us, hammer attacks down on the mutual enemy unless he was prescient enough to Defend L-D. But if I were 321 acting on my own (whether or not wanting to attack real!Me) I might have done some Pushing with W, wirh several strategic options for the other pieces.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W Grab Down-Right
1 Move Up-Right
2 Attack Down
3 Attack Up
4 Grab Up-Left
5 Grab Up-Right

Gotta love those grabs. It'd be interesting to tally up how much each player used which move at the end.
← approximately how gay I am.
"a nebulous cloud of different combinations of styling bodily features"
"on either side of a wrought iron fence made of tigers"

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:59 am UTC

announcement: emlightened is taking over from me as mod of this game

due to me having mental health problems
thanks.

emlightened

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

Postby emlightened » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:06 am UTC

*well-wishes patzer*

In my first action as God moderator,

*pings people*
Spoiler:
heuristically_alone wrote:

faubi wrote:

Rosewinsall wrote:

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 am UTC

patzer wrote:announcement: emlightened is taking over from me as mod of this game

thanks.

All the best. Do what's necessary to be well/better/happier/back to your old self/onto your new self, whatever it is that it is in your case. And thanks for starting this.

(I'll stop again with my own just started spoilered turn commentaries, @em, before there's anything like a danger I'm in contention with you as player. As you'll understand.)

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:24 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
patzer wrote:announcement: emlightened is taking over from me as mod of this game

thanks.

All the best. Do what's necessary to be well/better/happier/back to your old self/onto your new self, whatever it is that it is in your case. And thanks for starting this.

(I'll stop again with my own just started spoilered turn commentaries, @em, before there's anything like a danger I'm in contention with you as player. As you'll understand.)
Couldn’t you just post the commentary in a separate spoiler?
---Three Two One!---

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:51 pm UTC

Could do. Especially as I've similarly separately spoilered stuff recently. (I'm a bit worried I'm just doing it more for self-aggrandisement, but it may entertain everyone else, and you lot after it's all done.)

First though, gotta get feedback on those modprods!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:22 pm UTC

PMing players who have not yet acted for them to move. Deadline is 23:59 UTC on the 6th of August.

If these players submit moves after this, even if I haven't posted yet, there is no guarantee that the moves will be considered (but they may be, depending on whether I've started making the new board).

Starting the next turn, I will also be stricter with deadlines for moves being submitted.

Also, due to me being a player you no longer need to include either patzer or the moderator when PMing other players about the game.

I may post the next turn before the deadline if all players have submitted moves.

(wow much bold)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

What's the accepted way of handling drop-outs? Apart from waitlists¹, I can see them just vanishing from play or (say) the counters reallocated (dewizarded, if necessary) by a paused round of horse-trading or just random lot. Various problems with each method, but also some interesting results.

Though I really hope the current incumbents aren't quitting. And anybody who isn't currently in an alliance with me is welcome to suggest one to prevent my inevitable decline at the hands of everyone else who I hear plotting and conspiring against me! to receive my blind luck newbie infinite wisdom in return!!!

¹ Perhaps with an immunity incentive? "If you don't use an offensive skill, yourself, you're immune to that skill being used against you for your first turn." Or more creative than that!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm UTC

Both h_a and faubi thanked me for reminding them, but neither seem to have posted yet. Huh.

If I don't receive a move, the player takes no action. If this happens for three turns in a row, or a player asks to stop playing, then anyone not playing is free to take over, on a first-come-first-serve basis. If no one offers, I'll probably decide what to do then (or soon before) (in particular, different solutions may work better or worse depending on whether we're early-game or late-game).

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:01 am UTC

Here making my turn! Give me a minute....
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
W - Grab up-right
1 - attack up
2 - defend up
3 - grab up-left
4 - attack up
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

faubi

Postby faubi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Move-Up right
2 Attack Up-Right
3 Move Up-Right
4 Attack Up
W Move Down

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

Rosewinsall has decided to drop out of playing. Does anyone want to replace her?

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 pm UTC

i'll offer.
think i'll be up to it, as playing's less work than modding
hopefully.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

mweep rose left me in a sticky situation
uh
um
*thinks*
Spoiler:
2 grab down
1 attack down-left
4 grab downright
5 grab upright
3 move up

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 pm UTC

patzer has replaced Rosewinsall

If you can, try to get your move in by the deadline (90 minutes). If you can't, as you've just replaced a player, you've got 24 hours. Okay that was quick.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:56 pm UTC

Welcome (back) Patzer!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 pm UTC

Turn 7

Commentary:
emlightened's 2 and faubi's 4 continue their duel to the death, with no end in sight.
emlightened appears to be regrouping, killing a piece of patzer's in the process.
faubi scores her second kill aginst heury's wizard whilst it's distracted grabbing the 1.

Attachment:
Spoiler:
hexturn07.png

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

Deadline is 23:59 UTC, 9th August. I may post sooner if all players' moves have been submitted.

Restrictions on editing moves close to the deadline:
You may correct/overwrite your moves, but not in the last 12 hours before the deadline (unless you submitted your own move under an hour before editing it) and not over an hour after everyone has posted their moves. (This is to prevent last-minute move changes based on another player not moving hence not defending themself.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 pm UTC

Just to note that, though it hasn't obviously changed since last turn, me and Heury's minute huey offset (also saturation and luminosity not that far adrift) is starting to giving me eye-strain working out exactly what we're doing.

Moving later, when I'm not parked in a layby (might be easier indoors, rather than with bright blue early evening sky affecting my (relative) screen brightness and colour-contrast).

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Just to note that, though it hasn't obviously changed since last turn, me and Heury's minute huey offset (also saturation and luminosity not that far adrift) is starting to giving me eye-strain working out exactly what we're doing.

Congrats on discovering the minigame :P

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Just to note that, though it hasn't obviously changed since last turn, me and Heury's minute huey offset (also saturation and luminosity not that far adrift) is starting to giving me eye-strain working out exactly what we're doing.

would suggest to emlightened that maybe your hue should become more yellowy.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 pm UTC

my moves:

Spoiler:
3 grab downright
5 grab up
4 attack up
2 move upleft

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W Move Up-Right
1 Grab Down-Left
2 Attack Down
3 Move Down-Right
4 Move Down-Right
5 Grab Up-Right

(Oh, misread soup's post first time around as just being due to the complex movements, not the similar colours. That isn't a minigame.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 am UTC

And here I was thinking that we were each being personally supplied with boards in which our colour and our nearest rival was dynamically being reshaded to be the closest possible match, and perhaps the order of complaints dictates who wins and who loses!

Anyway, it looks better/slightly more distinctive under unnatural light (although identically backlit in both instances, apart from auto-adjusted brightness). Still close, but I knew that already. It just surprised me, earlier today.

Move for Em, eventually
Spoiler:
1: Grab Left-Down
2,4: Grab Down
3: Attack Left-Up
5: Move Left-Down
W: Move Right-Up

Intents and thoughts for anyone not(/no longer) involved.
Spoiler:
Off in the top-left Rose/Patzer used the only real defence I could see working against 321. It's likely that more such consolidation will go on, so (against the possibility of being atracked first) I'm moving in to pinch up against Patzer. I still have no quarrel with 321 (not that I have much I can do pre-emptively) and so I'm taking my option on repositioning for Patzer still. Though it may be awkward if those pieces are stranded in the Em/321 vice, later on. Another reason to perhaps not syay toomdeep, my original ideas no longer being relevent. (I had considered sending #4 up there, this turn, but still have other needs for it where it is.)

Down below, it's simpler but still not simple. First thoughts waw for 4 to Grab 1 as 1 grabs Heury#4, reposition and isolate Heury. Second thoughts were to leave Heury fighting Faubi (good for my eventual contact, good for Em's Faubi-battles). I decided to compromise and only grab Heury, not retreat myself (not #1, anyway!) I could boringly Defend against 2 (or ineffectually attack DL), but it gets nothing done. Trying to reposition the piece (if the defense still applies, as it could, there's nothing to do) assume that this is attackable and also presume the possibility of an original attack being re-aimed by my own hand.

It'll either work or it'll end up in failure (maybe loss) but shake things up regardless.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:57 am UTC

Moves, but after I corrected a typo:
Spoiler:
W Move Up-Right
1 Grab Down-Left 1 Grab Down-Right
2 Attack Down
3 Move Down-Right
4 Move Down-Right
5 Grab Up-Right

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 attack down
5 grab down-left
3 attack up-left
2 attack down-left
---Three Two One!---

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 am UTC

Well I am not doing too hot. Trying to decide my next moves....
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
2 - grab up-left
4 - defend down-left
1 - attack down-left
3 - attack up-left

Emlightened if you are able come help me I vow never to attack you unless we are the last 2 players alive.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Sure, heury, but it'll take about two turms. (Push happens last in the move order.)

faubi

Postby faubi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Attack Down-Right
2 Defend Up-Right
3 Grab Up-Left
4 Attack Up-Right
W Move Up

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

Turn 8

Commentary:
emlightened's 2 and faubi's 4 continued their duel to the death, with a grab-battle resulting in the death of faubi's 4.
heury's isolated 2 finally falls victim to Soupspoon.
threetwoone's pieces just. Stand still. Don't move, besides grabbing and attacking.
It seems that alliances really do pay off - the three players who haven't lost a piece also publically entered an alliance in the first turn.

Attachment:
Spoiler:
hexturn08.png

Deadline is 23:59 UTC on the 14th August.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
2 defend up
3 grab upright
4 grab downleft
5 attack down

Return to “Forum Games”