HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:40 pm UTC

Moves
Spoiler:
1: Attack Left-Up
2: Move Right-Down
3: Move Left-Down
4: Attack Left-Down
5: Move Down
W: Push Left-Up

Thoughts
Spoiler:
Of course I'm going to attack Heu#4. Which could still (boringly) defend or be grabbed by 1 to take it out of reach, but that'd rather leave Heu#1 spent and vulnerable. So I say Heu#4 is going to Defend Right-… Down? And it'll just waste time. Unless Em is letting Heury off (collusion? NO COLLUSION!!!) whilst taking on Faubi#1 with a grab'n'kill, maybe (Faub#3 may be Defending Up, and alternately Em#2+4 pick on either Faub#1 or Faub#W… I think the wizard is tempting but risking Faub#3 attacking based on the same assumption, so that leaves the choice of hitting F#3 and H#1 or leaving H#1 alone). It's a melee, could go bad for Faubi or not totally bad for them.

I feel that #3 will be more useful down there. Less out on a limb than some pieces, it should be good for some future tactics (better than Move LU) but that'll depend on everyone else.

Up in the top half, 2 can't do anything positive right now that doesn't mess up a temporary safe-zone. If Em has talked to 321 about a revised deal then it might not even be that, but I can't work on that assumption, so I'm going to make myself (potentially) useful next turn. I am assuming Three#2 will Defend Right-Down, and will definitely do it the courtesy of not exploiting this (see below Super Secret, if you're not involved and yet for some reason reading this Spoiler. Your last chance to be honest!).

#5's move (could have been back to Left-Down, but I'm avoiding Right-Down/Left-Up for obvious reasons and (Right-)Up sends the wrong message without - yes, moving my #5 up for two turns would be a better combined-force position, but I don't think uniting my #5+2 in adjacent tiles would be trusted half as much, whatever my intentions) isn't running away, or even running towards a lower-half battle, but another reposition. Neither of its possible Grabs would have done anything but frustrate things.

If W's attempt to Push frustrates those same things, they probably deserve to be frustrated. As I'm blocking a full Patzer#2+5 flanking of Three#2 (for frivolities next turn) by trying to move to where the P#5 would go, I don't see a problem pushing the P#2 there if P#3 doesn't go there already.

Super-secret: Yes, I could chat with various people with intent to go bad faith on others, but I'm not doing. Not because I'm not thinking of it, and there is in fact a few possible things that could work well (if I could rely on the new cooperation from essentially doomed players) but I'm not stooping to that. And if I were, I'd be telling you passive/future observer this right here.

Though I appreciate that if I played a little less risk-averse (or maybe just the appearance of doing so? No, not just the appearance, but Shhhhhh, anyway) I might reap bigger rewards and not be just coasting into ultimately fatal apathy at this point.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 am UTC

patzer wrote:I'm away until September 3– if someone wants to take my place for a bit, would be appreciated.

Change of plans- not going away any more, which is handy
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am UTC

I'm maybe away this weekend (and if not then, then maybe the next, or maybe the next - it's complicated, and still cannot be entirely planned for yet!) but not for so long out of touch that it will affect play (just my concentration). Apologies in advance though if I need to be prodded at all. (Will try to avoid the need.)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W - Push Up
1 - Grab Down-Right
2 - Grab Up-Right
3 - Attack Down-Left
4 - Attack Down-Right
5 - Attack Down-Left
← approximately how gay I am.
"a nebulous cloud of different combinations of styling bodily features"
"on either side of a wrought iron fence made of tigers"

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
1 - grab up-right
4 - move down
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

faubi

Postby faubi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
3 Defend Up
W Push Up
1 Move Down

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 pm UTC

The two players who posted after the deadline were prodded only 9 hours before the deadline, and moved within 24 hours of the prod.

Making the board for the next turn - all players' moves will be included. Should be quicker than the last one.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:39 pm UTC

Turn 12

Commentary:
No deaths.
Lots of fancy pushes in the same area. All cells needed shading up to once, surprisingly.
emlightened twisted her ankle, so isn't feeling up to inspecting the board enough to come up with good commentary

Attachment:
Spoiler:
hexturn12.png

Deadline is 23:59 UTC on the 4th September.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:09 pm UTC

(I may take most of the time up to the deadline, well, maybe a full day less. That thing that could have been this weekend… is. And I need to get this dang thing charged while I can and get some Zzzzs right now.)

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:54 am UTC

Spoiler:
3 grab downright
2 attack down
5 attack up
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 am UTC

Ok, finally I'm back and moving.
Turn
Spoiler:
1: Move Down
2: Attack Diwn
3: Attack Left-Up
4: Move Left-Down
5: Move Up
W: Push Left-Down

Inside my head
Spoiler:
Considered tugging H4 (assuming H1 didn't anchor them) for #3 to attack 'round' the obvious (blocking-)attack, but a Defensive posture would have been as effective. Also considered projecting #4 into the upper fray, but that's an ally-rich environment so wouldn't work that well. Settled upon attempting to cause Heury an additional headache (though can be defended against). As a (pre-)backup, #3 will try the obvious attack anyway., while #4 moves in to further threaten. Ironically, it's where I would have moved #1, otherwise, making the new set of moves more troublesome to justify.

At the top, I nearly attacked ThreeTwoOne's #2, before realising I'd misread that whole cluster around my #2 entirely. Would have been embarrassing! Maybe P5 is defending Up/Left-Up (or just attacking Up, rather than joining in on the inevitable T2 attacking) but on the offchance that it isn't Ivm going on an actual attack.

If called upon by Emlightened, I could perhaps use #5 to grab E4 (or Et?) as an assist, but no such request has come to me. Moving further back to my main force might be useful, but there seems no need for it right now, so I'm moving back to where I dodged away from last turn, the most ally-friendly move I can make (apart from sitting still?).

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
2 block down
1, 5, 3, move down-left
---Three Two One!---

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W Push Up
1 Move Up-Right
2 Do Nothing (and look pretty in the meantime)
3 Move Up
4 Defend Up
5 Attack Down-Left

I seem to be rather bad at pinging people near the deadline. I think there are a couple of solutions:

1) Ask someone dependable to be the Dedicated Pinger, who pings everyone who hasn't yet posted 24-36 hours before the deadline.
2) I continue to ping people (sometimes late), and we either...
2.a) Move the deadline to 24 hours after the ping each time the ping is within 24 hours of the deadline.
2.b) Not move the deadline, and consider the ping a luxury (people already know there's a deadline).
3) Stop pinging people before the deadline at all.
4) Something else, possibly automated?

As with what I effectively did last turn, deadline is extended until 24 hours after this post, to account for pings. Hopefully we can get some sort of (even informal) rule for this?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 pm UTC

Ding ding ding! If I may be so bold (or maybe <strong></strong>?) 1h45m left, I think.
faubi wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:

(Not wishing to usurp anyone's authority, of course, but I was passing and wondering how it was going, and saw that it was going quite close to the bar.)

faubi

Postby faubi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:12 am UTC

Spoiler:
1 Grab Up
3 Attack Up-Right
W Move Up-Left

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 - grab down-left
4 - defend up-right
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

Accidental double post
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm UTC

Welp, two posts from beyond deadline.

I'm inclined to say they should be given leeway and included anyway, to avoid ruining the game, but it's up to emlightened of course.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

I'm definitely more interested in getting participation eventually rather than penalising for the sake of my impatience (I can survive delayed gratification, and sometimes I'm thankful of the thinking space too), but I'd also like to reduce the 'eventually' just to make it easier on other players and organiser (in this case also a player) alike.

Keep on keeping on, probably, but I knew I was going to be otherwise distracted for the first days of this new turn and said as such¹, so maybe some thing like that. Especially if you're expecting to coordinate behind the scenes, as may be happening. But if you're deliberately delaying to right near the deadline then still not getting there in time you're doing something wrong. It happens, of course.

¹ Then ended up back slightly earlier than planned, but then actually took longer than I meant to to prooerly dive back in at my leisure, so it wasn't so simple either.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:54 pm UTC

Are these turns being processed and drawn manually?
I feel like this could be solved with algorithms a couple regexes and 2D perl arrays. Maybe some sockets and html for I/O?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 am UTC

I was considering generating an animated game with my Perl skills (once I was allowed to view submitted moves, i.e. after the final move).I mocked up a text-only grid version that didn't actually show the activity-lozenges to each tile, but was then heading towards an SVG output (in a vectorised fork) or a PNG one (in a rasterised one) to either flip-book through or convert to something animated.

As has been proven, I don't quite have exact-enough procedural understanding of the move rules to correctly automate a Chriddesque backend, though I could probably parse a few different alternate move formats (and highlight any new versions/typos when necessary to add them in as processable).

Maybe HexAttack5.0, eh? ;)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 pm UTC

There was one game (can't remember which), which was actually run by faubi's faubibot. It didn't gain popularity, so I can't remember if it actually exited testing stage.

(I think my Python skills gained from messing about with

I'm kinda split. I don't wanna ruin the game by not including the moves, but the whole point of a deadline is that moves are submitted by that point. So it's not really a deadline, because I do want to include the moves.

I think the solution's just to make it a soft deadline. Make the deadline a bit shorter, but don't disqualify late moves. Instead, just mercilessly ping the players, unless they've said they're busy over that period of time.

Anyway, I'm really quite busy at the moment. It should all be fine after next... Wednesday? But I'd appreciate it if someone else could update the board for me this turn - it'll end up quite late otherwise.

Any takers?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

I've got (some of) the game-boards on a handy-to-image-edit box that I could work on for the new moves before the end of tomorrow but for various complex reasons¹ I'd be unlikely to get them back here until Tuesday, would you believe.

Without my particular esoteric self-firewalling practices, I imagine anybody else would do it quicker (and correct the inevitable errors quicker).

Quick hint, though, based upon the last time I idly did some exploratory board editing: Some of the pixels are missing between some of the lozenges around some of the hexes on some of the turn-boards, so sometimes a floodfill 'leaks' a bit. Easy to solve, when found.

¹ Version one of this reply explained them all. But you really don't want to know. Not in this game thread, at least.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 am UTC

I'll do the board tomorrow (unless something major crops up). :)

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:35 pm UTC

Turn 13

Spoiler:
Hexattack.png

too tired to do a commentary - but not much interesting happened anyway.

Edit: see post below for fixed board
Last edited by patzer on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm UTC

Turn 13

Commentary:
No deaths.
patzer made a small mistake with soupspoon's 5, so this is reposted. She's been generally awesome with helping to get this round up though, so thanks to patzer!
threetwoone and emlightened have lined up. They might be preparing for action

Attachment:
Spoiler:
hexturn13.png

(Soft) Deadline is 23:59 UTC on the 12th September.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 am UTC

Good job it's soft!
Move
Spoiler:
1: Move Down
2: Attack Down
3: Attack Left-Down
4: Grab Down
5: whistles
W: Move Left-Down

(I had a commentary also ready, but it got as twisted as a klein bottle full of mobius strips.)

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:08 am UTC

Spoiler:
2 attack down-right
1 attack up-left
---Three Two One!---

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
3 attack downright
5 defend upright
2 attack upright

faubi

Postby faubi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 am UTC

Spoiler:
3 Grab up-left
W attack up-right
1 attack up-right

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 am UTC

Waiting for emlightened and heuristically_alone still...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 am UTC

Apparently inactive since the 23rd/24th, both of them. Not worth a quote-nudge if they aren't around to receive it, but certainly I'd like to express my hope that they're both Ok.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm UTC

I have contact with both of them outside the forum - I've just sent them both messages.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:39 pm UTC

Thank you flicky.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

I'm ok. Please can someone DM me on Discord in about 20-23 hours telling me to submit my move asap? I'm going to bed so can't do it rn.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:16 am UTC

Spoiler:
W - Push Down-Right
1 - Grab Down
2 - Attack Down
3 - Grab Down-Left
4 - Defend Up
5 - Move Up

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm UTC

Going to DM-ping heuristically_alone.

If no reply, assuming there are no objections I'm inclined to submit moves for them, given that they're on the opposite side of the board to me so there should be no conflict of interest
(if anyone objects to this, please let me know)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 defend down-left
4 defend down-right

Thanks for the messages everyone. There's just been a lot going on. My apologies keeping you waiting!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm UTC

woo thanks all!

*goes to make the board, I guess*
edit: actually emlightened is doing the board

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 pm UTC

Attachment:
Spoiler:
hexturn14.png
Last edited by emlightened on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum Games”