TL DR game (A reply to RTFT)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Nexus_1101

Re: TL DR game (A reply to RTFT)

Postby Nexus_1101 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

EH?
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Or decadentual. Quixotic? Yorntrap!
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Sarcio

Postby Sarcio » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 am UTC

It's not the fall that hurts; it's the sudden stop at the end. Given air resistance and no gravity, I guess a falling body would decelerate safely enough.

Anyway, we have balconies and railings all over Earth without mishap. Think of ships, bridges, hi-rise apartments.

BTW, the top image #1 shows partially-constructed/utilized area as transparent; it would look more like framework and randomly completed sections though.

EDIT: Another sketch. Inkscape rocks.
Photovoltaic cells as well as fiber-optic light collection is a necessity. With an impermanent shell, that makes anchoring them somewhat problematic.

Nah, the bundle just passes through the shell, it's also anchored elsewhere (minimally, or you could say a bubble anchors to it). Kinda like ice fishing and the hole freezes around your line:

I would feed the stuff through a rigid conduit. Thread the conduit on the outside, you can turn it with a (big) wrench to extend or retract. Conduit length somewhat more than maximum shell thickness.

Solar collectors and radiators deploy from a rolled-up state, so they require only narrow passage. I think these could also be dragged back in when they fail.

These installations would probably follow the arrangement of cactus thorns very closely. E.g. evenly distributed nodes, each sprouting thorns and hairs shooting out in all directions.

EDIT#2: Improved replication cartoon.

To keep the line taut, a module must be rotating "away" from it. So, in this illustration, the grey helix would be clockwise to the line, or "right handed". The off-spring (har har :D ... marked in purple) rotates counterclockwise relative to it's own line, so is "left handed". The newly completed purple helix would go on to build right-hand modules; they in turn would produce only left-hand modules, and so forth. A familiar pattern? It's inevitable when you make mirror copies.

What's up with those tethers? A tether is built of redundant strands, exactly as "laid" AKA "twisted" (not braided) rope is built. You can see the strands spreading apart in the illustrations. A tether rope anchors a living module to the edge of the nucleus bubble, at a number of redundant bearings (ring tracks). Its strands unlay in the same manner at both ends. What causes the strands to wind up as a single rope, is the torque of turning relative to the stationary colony. I would include some rigid ring spacers, so the rope actually forms a tube. This is a passageway.

So the rope acts to store up/delay torque and absorb any mechanical vibrations from whatever power we use to drive this. It's a sort of short-term power backup.

The driving mechanism works against water resistance. It's basically a paddle wheel, under water. It turns at the same rate as the living module, but has a much smaller diameter of course. Nevertheless, it puts as much energy into moving water around as it does to spin the living module. Not much, but that's a nice eddy right beside the nucleus, and a handy way to cool motors and disperse the heat. A route to airlock may pass through the axis of this wheel.

I think this pivotal facility must be stabilized with guy-wires branching out to here and there... and I'm not too pleased with the whole thing. Wheels and bearings are bad. Powerhouse-type facilities depending on strong foundations and keener grease monkeys are bad.

At the module replication end, all is well. Notice a second tether is added when a new module fills out and is ready to divide. This would connect up to the opposite end of the nucleus bubble. By this time, work is already underway expanding the nucleus and preparing for mitosis.

Mitosis just means introducing a water cleavage (not much trouble in zero gravity), and encouraging more water into the divide. Then we get two healthy nuclei sharing a single colony. By this time the colony would have gained bulk to support the "double" population, as these new people didn't just all appear at once. The obvious next step is to split the entire colony by introducing a vacuum cleavage, and encouraging the halves to go their jolly ways. Note that in this kind of replication, seeding a fresh ecosystem is unnecessary.

The vacuum (space) cleavage could be safely managed by throwing down a lot of fiber & aggregate as the cut grows. It could be accelerated by combination of portable chiller (to freeze water) and heater (to melt away old ice).
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.

Oxymoronic

Postby Oxymoronic » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 am UTC

So I says to her, I says, I got a problem you can fix...
RIGHT HERE.
ROYAL RAINBOW!!

Metty

Postby Metty » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

Think back to the first time you ever heard of xkcd. At first glance xkcd may seem unenchanting, however its study is a necessity for any one wishing to intellectually advance beyond their childhood. Given that its influence pervades our society, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. Since it was first compared to antidisestablishmentarianism much has been said concerning xkcd by the easily lead, obviously. At the heart of the subject are a number of key factors. I plan to examine each of these factors in detail and and asses their importance.

Social Factors

While some scholars have claimed that there is no such thing as society, this is rubbish. When Lance Bandaner said 'twelve times I've traversed the ocean of youthful ambition but society still collects my foot prints' [1] he globalised an issue which had remained buried in the hearts of our ancestors for centuries. A child’s approach to xkcd is crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle.

Of paramount importance to any study of xkcd within its context, is understanding the ideals of society. It breaks the mould, shattering man's misunderstanding of man.

Economic Factors

The preceding section may have shed some light on society but to really understand man you must know how he spends his money. We will primarily be focusing on the Greek-Roman model. Taking special care to highlight the role of xkcd within the vast framework which this provides.

nationaldebtxkcd.jpg
nationaldebtxkcd.jpg (3.72 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

There is no longer a need to argue the importance of xkcd, it is clear to see that the results speak for themselves. The question which surfaces now is, how? Well the national debt has always depended upon xkcd to a certain extent, but now more that ever. Supply Side Economic Tax Cuts Tax deductions could turn out to be a risky tactic.

Political Factors

Politics has in some areas been seen to embrace an increasing ananiathesis of intergovernmentalism leading to neo-functionalism. Comparing the general view of politics held by the poor of the west with those of the east can be like comparing the two, equally popular approaches to xkcd. If the reader is unaware of these, they need only to turn on the television, or pick up a newspaper or popular magazine.

Let us consider the words of that silver tongued orator, one of the great political analysts Kuuipo Tuigamala 'Man's greatest enemy is complacency with regards to personal and political hygiene.' [2] He was first introduced to xkcd by his mother. If xkcd be the food of politics, play on.
One thing's certain. The Human species liberally desires xkcd, and what's more human than politics?

Conclusion

In my opinion xkcd deserves all of the attention it gets. It sings a new song, ensures financial stability and statistically it's great.

I shall give the final word to star Shania De Niro: 'My Daddy loved xkcd and his Daddy loved xkcd.' [3]

[1] Lance Bandaner - Adventurous Spirit - 1993 See-Saw Publishing

[2] Tuigamala - Captain Sir - 1844 Inevitable Publishing

[3] Go mad for xkcd - Issue 132 - Kendeal Books

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

haha mods
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

creatures, creatures, everywhere
creature, creature, shave your hair!
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 am UTC

posted by post bot 1.4

(hehehe)
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

lanzai123

Postby lanzai123 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:40 am UTC

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Fuck you, I'm a groundling!

Froodulous

Postby Froodulous » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

If eleven elves were to arrange a boat race on the same day that thirteen dwarves organised their annual lake diving contest, what will become of the eagle bathing party at loch Ness?

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Lies and slander! I don't even know her!

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 am UTC

This is NOT how I pictured my holiday!

I do not want to be surrounded by a vat of seal oil whilst being forced to drink melted blubber through a straw.

Though this gimp suit is rather flattering...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Return to “Forum Games”