The History of xkcd Village: A Newbie Mafia Game

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vox Imperatoris

The History of xkcd Village: A Newbie Mafia Game

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:10 am UTC

Hello everyone!
Mafia, also known as Werewolf (to infidels, we shall not speak of them), is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small village of innocent people, but hidden among them is a group of nasty mafiosos, whose sole goal is to have at least 50% of the population belong to their organization so that they can control the lynch-votes. Since they cannot recruit people, the only way to achieve this is bloody murder, but not more than one per night. The rest of the town uses their deductive abilities, along with some special roles, to find these infiltrators and lynch them.

Lynch Voting:
xkcd Village is a lawless place, and the only form of justice is the old-fashioned lynch mob. Every "day" (this will be explained shortly), the town chooses a member to hang with a simple majority vote. For the more peaceful towns :? , "no lynch" is also a valid vote. After the mob has strung up the citizen, his house will be investigated overnight (it would seem reasonable to do that before the hanging, no?) and it will be announced if the town hanged a member of the mafia or an innocent townie. There are no "takebacks", once a majority vote has been reached, even for one minute, the "day" is over and the night begins.

You must bold your vote and place it on a separate line for it to my fault if I miss it and therefore do not count it in the official tally.
Example: I think Vox Imperatoris is dirty mafia scum because he said he was the cop, then later said he was the doctor. NB: That would be really stupid, don't do something like that.

Vote: Vox Imperatoris

I changed my mind now, it's definitely RandomGuy.

Unvote: Vox Imperatoris
Vote: RandomGuy

Night—when everything else happens:
People who are not just regular townies (that will be just over half of you), have special powers that are used at night. The most important of these is that of the mafia, but there are also other roles, which in this particular game will be a doctor, a cop, and a pair of masons (the secret society kind). I guarantee that no one person will have two roles.

The mafia confer through PMs at night only (this part requires the honor code, so please don't ruin the game) about whom they plan to kill; when they reach a unanimous decision, they will PM it to me and I will record it secretly. If you receive the role of a mafia member, you must try especially hard to blend in with the others and subtly place the blame elsewhere. Too little, and the lynch mob will eventually find you; try to take control of it on the first day, and the mob will start to wonder why the mafia hasn't killed you.

The cop is the most important town role because only he can definitively tell who is good and who is bad. At night, he investigates by PMing me with a name, which I return to him marked as either town-aligned or mafia-aligned. Protip: Do not tell everyone that you are the cop unless you really like to swim in concrete shoes. If you are reading closely or have played this before, you will notice that this means that the cop can't just say, "Lynch this guy because I'm the cop and I know." He has to be a bit more subtle if he wants to live.

The doctor is responsible for protecting the town from the mafia's attacks. He PMs me a name at night, and that person is safe from any attacks. However, the doctor himself is not protected, and he cannot treat himself. NB: If the cop and the doctor find each other secretly through subtle signs in their posts, teaming up can be a huge advantage as it gives the cop immunity enabling him to accuse mafiosos directly.

The pair of masons are a specially linked group. They have the ability to communicate with each other through PMs at night only, and they each know who the other is, but they have no other powers. Although the masons aren't as vital, it can be very helpful to have someone whom you can trust absolutely and talk to outside the thread, so they can form a powerful team in lynch debates.

Roles:
Those who have played this before are going to want a list of exactly what roles and how many will be in the game, so here it is:
12 people in all
5 Townies (Plain, no powers but that of their minds and mouths)
2 Masons
1 Cop
1 Doctor
3 Mafia members (There is no godfather or other such roles in this game).

Rules:
1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.
3. Please stay on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, I'll keep a running tab of players who want to be replacements.
5. Conversely, don't spam the thread with low content posts; it's very annoying, especially for the lurkers, and it makes it hard to actually analyze you.
6. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis.
7. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the thread AT ALL.
8. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
9. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
10. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.

Signing Up:
I'll just be picking you on a first-come first-served basis, and once I get twelve people, I'll put the next five on a list of possible replacements.

I'd also appreciate it if you mention your status as a newbie to mafia or a veteran. Veterans are welcome, but I don't want more than 2 in this game, so I'll skip you after the first two. Please don't lie about it; if you do, I'll replace you.

The roles will be assigned randomly, with one exception, veterans will not receive "power roles". They will be guaranteed to be townies in order to prevent them from running the game themselves unintentionally. The game will also start in the day phase to give everyone at least a day of playtime. There are no time limits yet, but I may decide to implement them if the game starts dragging on forever.

Additional Resources (Sorry about the no links under 5 posts rule, mods, but these aren't mine and they are very helpful):
1. Excellent Tutorial: http://www.sitesled.com/members/mikeburnfire/mafiascum04.swf
2. A whole wiki about this: http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Good luck, new citizens of xkcd Village!

ETA: :oops: Veteran players will now be grouped randomly with everyone else for distribution of power roles. I should not have mentioned that for the mafia to hear, but it's too late now.

Replacement Waiting List (Feel free to sign up in the thread):
1. michaelandjimi
Replacements will be used if a player requests to drop out or disappears off the face of the internet. Remember, please do not post your thoughts on the game while signing up, but feel free to create a discussion thread, if there is interest.
Last edited by Vox Imperatoris on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

SPsnow02

Re: The History of xkcd Village: A Newbie Mafia Game

Postby SPsnow02 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 am UTC

I'd love to play mafia :D
Experience: Semi experienced? I've played mafia a few times in person, but only once online.
Rawr!

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:39 am UTC

I'm in.
I'm also semi-experienced, I've played a few times, but not with non-mafia special roles.

Surely if we all know veterans are townies they will be a bit pointless. They still get to vote, but they wont get lynched and the mafia wont take them down as they'll have better targets.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

Maybe he was just bluffing, and will actually assign a veteran a power role...

Anyway, I'm up for it, and have never played the game before.

Double Blackbird

Postby Double Blackbird » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Macbi wrote:Surely if we all know veterans are townies they will be a bit pointless. They still get to vote, but they wont get lynched and the mafia wont take them down as they'll have better targets.

Or maybe the mafia will take them down, because if they're townies, they're known innocents.

I'll take a crack at this. While I have played a sort of mafia-game before, it's not MafiaScum-style (it has a time-limit, for one), so call me inexperienced.

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Double Blackbird wrote:
Macbi wrote:Surely if we all know veterans are townies they will be a bit pointless. They still get to vote, but they wont get lynched and the mafia wont take them down as they'll have better targets.

Or maybe the mafia will take them down, because if they're townies, they're known innocents.

The Mafia know who each other are, hence anyone not Mafia is known to be innocent. The Mafia will concentrate on the others, to take down the cop, doctor and Masons.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

Double Blackbird

Postby Double Blackbird » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Macbi wrote:
Double Blackbird wrote:

The Mafia know who each other are, hence anyone not Mafia is known to be innocent. The Mafia will concentrate on the others, to take down the cop, doctor and Masons.

But the other innocents don't know that. For example:

In a normal game, there'd be 12 people, 3 of whom are mafia. Apart from the mafia and masons, no-one in the thread has any idea of the identity of anyone else in the thread, so if you're an innocent and you're voting for someone (at random), there's a 3/11 chance you're voting for a mafioso. Also, you can't trust anyone in the thread - a person who is providing a neat argument for another's innocence might be a mafia trying to trick you.

But if two people have been confirmed innocent before the game starts, if you're innocent and voting for someone there's a 3/8 chance you're voting for a mafia. Of course, you wouldn't just be voting at random like that, but it could also apply to questioning - there's a 3/8 chance that the person you're grilling is a mafioso. Also, there would now be two people in the game whose word could be trusted without question.

Thinking about it, though: you're probably right, at the beginning of the game at least, that attempting to take out the cop etc. is better. But it might well become more significant towards the end of the game, when the two confirmed innocents make up a larger percentage of the total voting populace. There'd be a smaller field of possible mafia candidates. Am I making sense or just waffling? :(

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

I'm in. :D

Never played before but read the links you gave.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

Macbi wrote:I'm in.
I'm also semi-experienced, I've played a few times, but not with non-mafia special roles.

Surely if we all know veterans are townies they will be a bit pointless. They still get to vote, but they wont get lynched and the mafia wont take them down as they'll have better targets.

That was really stupid of me, but thanks for pointing it out before it became a problem. The first post is now changed.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

MartinW wrote:I'm in. :D

Never played before but read the links you gave.

I thought I know all there had to do with mafia, But I hadn't even heard of any of the additional characters like masons.. >.<
Rawr!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Hm, I'd be interested in playing.

Experience: Played a few times IRL, but never with Masons before (interesting idea). Never played online.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Double Blackbird

Postby Double Blackbird » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

(Actually, I won't have enough time to play in this, sorry. Exams &c. &c.)

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Looks like we have so far;

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
Rawr!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 am UTC

I'm in.

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I'll play. Played online 3 or 4 times.

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 am UTC

I remember you two from last time :D
*Yarr*!
Rawr!

Ubersmush

Postby Ubersmush » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 am UTC

I'm in this sounds awesome!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Oooh, Mafia. Nothing like playing that with an improv group.

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
12. Jahoclave

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

aaand Ubersmush

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
8. Ubersmush
12. Jahoclave
Rawr!

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

I'm entirely new to this, but it sounds like fun. I'm in.

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
8. Ubersmush
9. AvalonXQ
12. Jahoclave

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Thanks for all your responses; immigration to xkcd Village should be complete soon. I'm just posting to let everyone know I haven't run off. :)

1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
8. Ubersmush
9. AvalonXQ
10. Jahoclave

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Am I correct in thinking that our Doctor can't protect himself?
Rawr!

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:15 am UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:Am I correct in thinking that our Doctor can't protect himself?

Yes, that's right.

Also, I've added a new rule that's standard for forum mafia games: you may not post the role PM I give you verbatim or quote from it. Paraphrasing is, of course, fine.

The reason for this rule is that everyone can post his, and the ones that don't have the same format as the others are guaranteed to be scum. I've personally seen a game ruined this way because the bad guy's role-claim had a typo in it, so he was lynched.
Last edited by Vox Imperatoris on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:42 am UTC

Sounds like fun, I'll join
1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
8. Ubersmush
9. AvalonXQ
10. Jahoclave
11.AKAnotu
/me is a newbie
Last edited by AKAnotu on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:46 am UTC

One more :D
Looks like It'll start just after I'm done with finals :D
Rawr!

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 am UTC

May I join, or is it too late? I've never played online, but I've played many times IRL.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:May I join, or is it too late? I've never played online, but I've played many times IRL.

No, you're just in time!

Registration for an opening spot is now closed.
You can still sign up, but you will be on the replacement list. Since this is a newbie game, it is likely that you will still get to play because someone usually drops out.

Here is the final list of players (thanks for making that for me :wink: ):
1. Spsnow02
2. Macbi
3. Nebuduck
4. Kellsbells
5. Martin W
6. Rodan
7. Colonel M.
8. Ubersmush
9. AvalonXQ
10. Jahoclave
11. AKAnotu
12. Megatriorchis

I'll be making your role PMs and sending them out in a little while; discussion will officially start at 8:00 AM Wednesday, by which time I'll definitely be done.

Let's get started!
Last edited by Vox Imperatoris on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Alright, I'm done sending PMs, so I've decided to go ahead and open the thread up.

A new day had broken on the peaceful frontier community of xkcd Village; however, this day was not like any other. In the middle of the town, the bodies of the mayor and magistrate were found dead, killed in cold blood and placed next to a sign proclaiming it to be the work of the Sicilian mafia. Now lacking a proper and civilized form of justice, the people began to assemble in the square to get to the bottom of things and obtain revenge, by the noose if necessary.

It is now Day 1.

PS: Does anyone know if I can send a message, say, to all the townies, without each of them getting some kind of indication of who else received it? I didn't want to chance it with the PMs. (By the way, I used random.org to assign your roles.)

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Our mayor and magistrate deal! Who could do such a terrible thing? Our only evidence is that sign. My first suspicion falls on raptors, but they'd be far to stupid to try and frame the mafia, so that means it must be one of us!

Right. Speaking first is normally a bad plan, but somebody has to do it.
Please don't lynch me.Even though I use tiny text.

There are three Mafia, so we have to get one in the first three days. Otherwise, they'll have half of the remaining people and can't get lynched. We've got quite good chances, especially with the cop, but we've got to tread carefully.
    Indigo is a lie.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:43 am UTC

Speaking first is normally a bad plan, but somebody has to do it.

Speaking second probably isn't too good then either.

Anyway, It's good to see that there is at least some activity when I'm awake. :D

Now the question is what will happen to us icebreakers :?:

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:53 am UTC

MartinW wrote:
Speaking first is normally a bad plan, but somebody has to do it.

Speaking second probably isn't too good then either.

Anyway, It's good to see that there is at least some activity when I'm awake. :D

Now the question is what will happen to us icebreakers :?:

There's nothing wrong with speaking first; people tend to trust the first few people they see more than the last.

But the main reason I popped in was to say that if you have a question about anything that won't give away your role, please post it in the thread, preferably bolded so that everyone else can have it clarified, too.

I'll try to stay out of the thread from now on, except for occasional Offical Vote Counts and replies to any questions I see.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:04 am UTC

I have no idea who it could have been, did anyone see anything happen last night?
Rawr!

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:16 am UTC

I saw as much as anyone else. The two men dead, the sign accusing the mafia. I was out walking a got to the scene early, and I can assure you that that was all there was, unless someone had hidden something before I got there.

Vox Imperatoris wrote:
I'll try to stay out of the thread from now on, except for occasional Offical Vote Counts and replies to any questions I see.

If the cop asks for the identity of someone who has just been killed by the mafia that night, will you tell him, give him another chance, or what?
    Indigo is a lie.

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Macbi wrote:There are three Mafia, so we have to get one in the first three days. Otherwise, they'll have half of the remaining people and can't get lynched.

Not necessarily. The three-day time limit assumes we're lynching people every day. We have SIX days to figure it out if we lynch no one before that.
Additionally, I feel like right now we really have no information, and that lynching someone more-or-less randomly isn't going to give us any more. Which is why I recommend we don't quite yet.

Vote: No lynching.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

If noone saw anything, then I agree, we have more of a chance of lynching one of us than one of the mafia now.

Vote: no lynching
Rawr!

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

AvalonXQ wrote:
Additionally, I feel like right now we really have no information, and that lynching someone more-or-less randomly isn't going to give us any more.

No lynching won't really get us any information.

How I figure it is:

Voting for (not necessarily lynching) someone and watching the reactions (the Mafia [being only 3] would lose a lot more from losing a player and would subtly try to defend their members) will give us a lot of info. The mafia have more info than us, so we should try to get more (even at the cost of a villager).

But I'm a newbie with only one day's reading up behind me. Could someone experienced please check me on this?

Ubersmush

Postby Ubersmush » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

We have a better chance of lynching a towns person or a member of the mafia if it was random. But we're supposed to be using our detective skills aren't we?
But everyones acting pretty friendly so far hmmm. Someone do something very suspicious.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I guess they're right, If someone else gets killed by the mafia tonight, it won't tell us anything, just that another person was killed. I guess we need to start some conflict, and find out who's behind this.

No Lynch vote taken back.
Rawr!

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Well, being the first person to point out a piece of information probably doesn't bode well, but again, someone has to:

What the mafia really want is for us to go on not lynching anyone - we'll gain no information, and they'll go on each night killing people until 6 nights have passed. We're much better lynching someone at random than lynching no-one. So since it's in the mafia member's interests to not lynch people, maybe we should think about those who were so quick to vote for this option. Then again, maybe they're just kind hearted, left-wing folks who abhor capital punishment...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Yes, but what if the mafia are truely kind-hearted, left wing folk who just don't want to kill anybody ever. Can you really go around lynching people when nobody's getting killed? Which, shouldn't somebody have been killed first before we form a lynch mob? It just seems like that would be a prerequisite to lynching, unless preemptive lynching is ok. In which case, I vote to lynch, Vox Imperatoris, simply because he is in charge.

Edit: I guess it would actually help to read and realize our mayor and magistrate are dead, but I can't really say I'm sad about that. Good riddance. All they did was tax, tax, tax while the rest of us hard working folk suffered! We should probably thank the mafia for offing them! It's not like we all didn't want to anyways. And what had they done for our schools? Nothing, that's what!

Edit, edit: With both the mayor and magistrate dead I would also like to announce my candidacy in the upcoming special election fort both Magistrate and Mayor.

Return to “Mafia”