Super Dungeon Rumble.

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Chrismclegless

Super Dungeon Rumble.

Postby Chrismclegless » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

OK, due to the vast numbers of Super Hero Rumble games around, and the advent and popularity of BOSS BATTLE!, I've decided to try out this idea.

The game will be a D&D style roleplaying game, using Super Hero Rumble rules for the combat system. There will be both roleplaying and combat involved.

I've been working on a method to make this viable, and I think I've got something that will work. Each player will choose a race and a class, and they will gain the bonuses of that combination. I will also then provide the party with magical items, which simulate powers.

I've only made up a few races and classes so far, but if anyone wants to submit any more ideas, please do so. Try and keep the power level about the same as the ones I've suggested though. Without more classes and races, the character choice is a little limited.

Races
Spoiler:
Human
Generic: May use any items normally only usable by other races.
((Note, I'm not sure how useful this is. I'm trying to think of something else for humans, but the point is that they don't have any defining characteristics.))

Elf
Fragile: Lose 5 energy
Graceful: Add 10 energy onto all attacks.

Dwarf
Sturdy: Gain 10 energy
Slow: All attacks against you are at +5.

Halfling
Small: Lose 10 energy.
Nimble: Subtract 5 from any damage you take.

Half-Orc
Strong: Add 15 onto one attack per round
Ferocious: You may not allocate more than 25% of your energy to defence each round.

Other races:
Changeling
Warforged
Lupin

See SRD for details

Classes
Spoiler:
Fighter
The fighter gains the following powers:
Defend: Target an ally. Any attacks on that ally are redirected to you. You can only defend one ally at a time.
Power Attack: Subtract 10 from one attack. If it damages the enemy, they take +20 damage.

Mage
A mage may purchase up to 3 of the following spells with his initial energy.

Shield: Spend 5 – target player's defence this round is increased by 20. Cost 10.
Magic Missile: Spend 5 – Target enemy takes 10 unblockable damage. Cost 10.
Light: Spend 5 – Target enemy’s attacks are reduced by 10 for the remainder of the battle. Cost 10.

Strength: Spend 10 – Target player's attacks gain +20 for the remainder of the battle. Cost 20.
Detect thoughts: Spend 10 – Target enemy must post his actions publicly before each round. Cost 20.

Each spell can only be cast once per encounter.

Cleric
The cleric gains the following power:
Cure light wounds: Spend 10 – Target ally regains 5 energy. Useable once per round maximum. At the end of each encounter, all party members are fully healed.

A cleric may also purchase up to 2 of the following spells

Cause fear: Spend 5 – Next round, target enemy’s attacks are at -20. Cost 10
Bless: Spend 5 – All allies gain +5 to all their attacks for the remainder of the battle. Cost 10.

Cure moderate wounds: Spend 10 – Target ally regains 10 energy. Cost 20.

Each spell can only be cast once per encounter.

Thief
The thief gains the following powers:
Backstab: If you and an ally are attacking the same monster, you gain +10 on your attacks against that monster.
Sneaky: If you do not take offensive action in a round, you may not be attacked in the next round.

Druid
The druid gains the following power:
Animal Companion: You have an animal companion who starts the game with 20 energy. If it dies, you may permanently burn 10 to resurrect it at the end of a battle. This damage cannot be healed.

A druid may also purchase 1 of the following spells

Entangle: Spend 5 - Target enemy has his defence lowered by 15 for the next 2 rounds. Cost 10.
Magic fang: Spend 5 – Your animal companion gains +15 to all its attacks next round. Cost 10.

Other classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Paladin
Monk

See SRD for details

Items available:
Spoiler:
Ring of the Magi:Once per encounter - Spend x to use a spell or prayer with activation cost x without it counting towards your max uses per battle. Cost 15.

Ring of minor healing: all healing spells heal an additional 2 energy. does not stack with other item effects. Cost 10. TAKEN

Faint Shield: add +5 to defense. The first time your energy goes below 10 do to a round of combat it instead goes to 10. Cost 10.

Robes of power: grants a +5 boost to energy which can only be used to activate spells and prayers. does not stack with other item effects. Cost 2. TAKEN

Rings of telepathy (Pair): Cost 5 each. These rings allow the wearers to PM each other. Normally all communication must be in character. Cost 5 each. BOTH TAKEN

Sword of Choppery: Cost 10. Only useable by Barbarians. Gain +10 to all your attacks. Cost 10.

Dwarven Maul: Useable only by Dwarves. Adds +5 to all attacks, +10 vs. Giants and Goblins. (One-Handed) Cost 7.

Elven Longbow: Useable only by Elves. At the start of each combat, you may choose a single enemy. That enemy takes 5 damage. (Two-Handed) Cost 5.

Giantic Battleaxe: Useable only by Half-Orcs and Orcs. If you attack at least 2 enemies, all your attacks in the round deal +10 damage if they deal damage. (Two-Handed) Cost 7.

Magical Holy Symbol: Useable by Druids, Clerics and Paladins. By spending X (X<=5) when you use a once per encounter power, you may increase or decrease any one number in that power's description (other than its cost) by X. (Neck) Cost 10. TAKEN

Magical Wand: Useable by Mages only. When you buy this item, choose a power you could otherwise select. You may use that power once per level (in addition to any use you might already have). (One-Handed) Cost 5.

Healing Draught: Useable only once. Heal 5. (N/A) Cost 2. UNLIMITED

Shield of Resistance: Reduce all damage you would take by 2. (One-Handed) Cost 5.

Blessed Longsword: Attacks against evil enemies get +7 (One-Handed) Cost 4. TAKEN

Minor Vampiric Blade: Whenever you do damage with an attack, regain (damage dealt/4) energy. (One-Handed) Cost 10.

Mirror Shield: Spend 10: All powers that target you this round instead target their owner. Useable once per encounter (One-Handed) Cost 11.

B.F.S. (big f-ing sword): Useable only by Fighters and Barbarians. When you do damage with an attack, you do +15 damage. You may only increase the damage of one attack per round. (two handed) Cost 10 UNLIMITED

Rapier: Useable by Thieves and Elves. Adds +5 to attacks against enemies engaged by at least one other character. (one handed) Cost 2 UNLIMITED

Clawed Gauntlet: Useable only by Lupins. Adds +5 to all attacks and defense. Ignore this effect if any other weapons are equipped. (technically no handed) Cost 5 UNLIMITED

Anyone who would be interested in playing in a game like this, or who has any suggestions to make, please post here.

EDIT: Singnups:
1. Tigion - Human Mage, The Prophet
2. AKAnotu - Elf Druid, Talell Azaneth
3. Ansain - Dwarven Cleric, Barkin Morine
4. Bulvox - Half-orc Barbarian, Ugnot
5. mbrownmx - Elven Paladin, Aranel Taless
6. TheAmazingTD - Human Thief, Drensan

I want to cap it at 6. I will start with 5 however, and a sixth player can join by asking me even once the game has started (PM preferably).
Attachments
Super Dungeon Rumble SRD +Spellbook.doc
Complete SRD, including Spell book.
(393 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Super Dungeon Rumble Spells.xls
Spell list up to level 6
(39 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by Chrismclegless on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:09 am UTC, edited 21 times in total.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Re: Super Dungeon Rumble - System in design, ideas appreciated

Postby Tigerlion » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

I'm in, and I got an idea!
How much does cure moderate wounds cost? I assume 20.

New Class:

Bard:

Spoiler:
The bard gains the following power:
Charisma: Has a passive and permanent +2 to attacks and +2 to defense

May purchase up to 2 of these powers:

Inspire fear: Enemies have a passive -5 to attacks. Cost 10. Usable twice per encounter
Inspire courage: Allies (including yourself) have a +5 to attacks. Cost 10. Usable twice per encounter.

Masterful Music: Gives allies (including yourself) a +5 to attacks and a passive +5 to defense. Cost 10. Usable once per encounter.

We could tone some stuff down, if you think we should.
Also, will it just be us fighting monsters, or will we be storyline driven?

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

I'll play, as an elf druid, backstory coming soon.
Also, I have an idea for leveling:

Spoiler:
After you kill X amount of monsters/people/enemies, you level up. Level cap is 20, and "assists" give half a kill (assist=the monster is killed by combined attacks)
Every level:
Fighter-gains permanent, stackable bonus of 1 onto each attack made, and a PSB of 1 onto defence
Mage: spells gain various benefits (Ex: magic missile damage increases by 1?2?)
Cleric:See mage
Thief: +1 to dodge (if an attack does less than your dodge, you don't take it. Can only dodge once per fight)
Druid: Animal companion's max Hp increases by 2
Every other level:
Fighter- Gains PSB of 1 onto Max HP
Mage, Cleric: Cost to cast spells decreases by 1
Thief: Backstab damage increases
Druid: ?
Level 10, 20:
Mage/Cleric/Druid may gain a new spell
Fighter/Thief:?
?: Something goes here, I just don't know what it is

Feel free to criticize or change some numbers around
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Yeah, I think that's a pretty solid idea. Leveling up is cool. I'll add stuff for Bard.

Every Level: May add one point into either attack (Inspire Courage or Masterful Music) or Defense (Masterful Music) or subtract one point from Inspire Fear

Every other level: May add one point to either attack or defense in Charisma:

Level 10: Gets 5 points to spend.
Level 20: Gets 10 points to spend.

Also, I'm playing as a human, unless a new race that I like is introduced, I just dunno what class yet. Either Thief or Cleric, maybe Bard if Chris likes it.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Also, I think at level 10 and 20 the magical classes should be able to cast each spell one more time per round.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 am UTC

I'll play, and I might be able to help with races and classes, but I only have 5 minutes at the time so more on that later.
Why put off till today what you could just as easily get done tomorrow?

I can mathematically prove that 1 equals 0!.

Parts a-x in my plan weren't that important anyways.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 am UTC

here's a class that you forgot:

Barbarian

Spoiler:
The Barbarian gains the following powers:

Rage: Add +10 to all attacks made. Defense is at a -10.

The Barbarian may also purchase one of these skills:

Cleave:If you kill an enemy with an attack made this round then you may immediately make a free attack on another enemy for half of the value of the original attack.
Power Attack: Subtract 10 from one attack. If it damages the enemy, they take +20 damage.

i've also got some ideas for races, but i'll need some time to work them out.
Last edited by Bulvox on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am UTC

I *might* be interested; at this point I'd like to see more rules get defined by the GM before getting into it.

As for more races/classes, it seems to me that a better idea might be to let players define their own races/classes, trying to use the ones you've already created as a guide (seems to be somewhat what's happening, but to make it more clear). For instance, if I wanted to play a paladin, I'd try to make powers that mix fighter/cleric, probably, and feel about balanced (as opposed to someone creating a paladin and no one using it).

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:32 am UTC

here's a few races that i worked out.

Spoiler:
Changeling
Minor Change Shape: Once per round, may choose one power from any target. You then gain that power for the next round.
Vulnerable: Takes an additional 5 damage from attacks.

Orc
Greater Strength: Add 20 onto one attack per round
Bloodthirst: You may not allocate more than 15% of your energy to defense each round.

Cyclops
Future Sight: The next round you post your energy allocation for attack and defense after everyone else. Only useable 3 times.
Vision Impaired: Attacks made are at a -5.

Warforged
Construct Traits: Powers that deal damage only do half of that damage to a Warforged.
Slow: All attacks against you are at +5.

Lupin
Animal Reflexes: All attacks against you are at -5.
Scent: Powers that deal damage deal an additional 5 damage to you.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 am UTC

Bulvox wrote:New Class:
Barbarian

Spoiler:
The Barbarian gains the following powers:

Rage: Add +10 to all attacks made. Defense is at a -10.

The Barbarian may also choose one of these skills:

Cleave:If you kill an enemy with an attack made this round then you may immediately make a free attack on another enemy for half of the value of the original attack.

i've also got some ideas for races, but i'll need some time to work them out.

Tigion wrote:New Class:

Bard:

Spoiler:
The bard gains the following power:
Charisma: Has a passive and permanent +2 to attacks and +2 to defense

May purchase up to 2 of these powers:

Inspire fear: Enemies have a passive -5 to attacks. Cost 10. Usable twice per encounter
Inspire courage: Allies (including yourself) have a +5 to attacks. Cost 10. Usable twice per encounter.

Masterful Music: Gives allies (including yourself) a +5 to attacks and a passive +5 to defense. Cost 10. Usable once per encounter.

These two classes are fine, they seem balanced.

mbrownmx wrote:I *might* be interested; at this point I'd like to see more rules get defined by the GM before getting into it.

I will be putting more rules in place shortly, I wanted to gauge interest before investing too much of my time however. If you have any specific rules you'd like defined, say so, and I'll get on it.
mbrownmx wrote:As for more races/classes, it seems to me that a better idea might be to let players define their own races/classes, trying to use the ones you've already created as a guide (seems to be somewhat what's happening, but to make it more clear). For instance, if I wanted to play a paladin, I'd try to make powers that mix fighter/cleric, probably, and feel about balanced (as opposed to someone creating a paladin and no one using it).

This was part of the initial idea. Not only would it be a lot of work for one person to create all the possible races/classes, it's more fun for people to create their own. As long as people aren't silly about it and make unbalanced classes or races, this is a good thing.
AKAnotu wrote:Also, I have an idea for leveling:
Spoiler:
After you kill X amount of monsters/people/enemies, you level up. Level cap is 20, and "assists" give half a kill (assist=the monster is killed by combined attacks)
Every level:
Fighter-gains permanent, stackable bonus of 1 onto each attack made, and a PSB of 1 onto defence
Mage: spells gain various benefits (Ex: magic missile damage increases by 1?2?)
Cleric:See mage
Thief: +1 to dodge (if an attack does less than your dodge, you don't take it. Can only dodge once per fight)
Druid: Animal companion's max Hp increases by 2
Every other level:
Fighter- Gains PSB of 1 onto Max HP
Mage, Cleric: Cost to cast spells decreases by 1
Thief: Backstab damage increases
Druid: ?
Level 10, 20:
Mage/Cleric/Druid may gain a new spell
Fighter/Thief:?
?: Something goes here, I just don't know what it is

Feel free to criticize or change some numbers around

This looks promising, I'll look at it in more detail later, and possibly shift some numbers. I was thinking casters would gain more spells/extra casts when they leveled.

Tigion wrote:Also, will it just be us fighting monsters, or will we be storyline driven?

It will be storyline driven. The Rumble combat system just gives us a quick and easy way of doing fights.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:50 am UTC

what about my races? are they balanced or do they need to be twerked a bit?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:51 am UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
mbrownmx wrote:I *might* be interested; at this point I'd like to see more rules get defined by the GM before getting into it.

I will be putting more rules in place shortly, I wanted to gauge interest before investing too much of my time however. If you have any specific rules you'd like defined, say so, and I'll get on it.

There's nothing specific I think I need to see. I'd like to see leveling rules, if they're gonna exist. Also, some idea of setting (even if that's just "Generic Dungeon in Generic Fantasy World"), would be cool.

Mainly, I also need to consider if I'll have time. I probably will, 'cause rumble doesn't generally take up that much time, but we'll see.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:what about my races? are they balanced or do they need to be twerked a bit?

I think changeling needs to be twerked to
Minor Change Shape: Once per encounter, may choose any one racial power. He gains that power for the next round.
Vulnerable: Takes an additional 5 damage from attacks.

Otherwise the change shape is too strong for a racial power.

Also, I don't like Orc. Orc should not be a player race.

mbrownmx wrote:There's nothing specific I think I need to see. I'd like to see leveling rules, if they're gonna exist. Also, some idea of setting (even if that's just "Generic Dungeon in Generic Fantasy World"), would be cool.

Setting is easy. It'll be running in a fantasy world where actual magic casters are rare, but magical items left over from a previous civilisation are fairly common.

Leveling rules I'm working on as I write this, will probably be updated soon-ish.

Starting magical items for the party - Given that it's not a Rumble game without powers, I will be giving out items, but the system will work slightly differently. Players may submit items they would like - I'm not obliged to allow them. I will price them at what I think they're worth, and the party as a whole can purchase them with energy. I will be giving players some additional energy to be spent on items, I haven't decided how much yet.

Given that these are items, they can be swapped between party members. They can also be found as treasure. Common sense applies in all cases (You can't wield 3 magical swords at once).

mbrownmx wrote:Mainly, I also need to consider if I'll have time. I probably will, 'cause rumble doesn't generally take up that much time, but we'll see.

Everything comes down to this. It will take up more time than a standard rumble game however, given that there will be some roleplaying as well.

*Gets back to work on leveling*

EDIT:
OK, I've worked out a rough system for leveling. I haven't done all the classes yet, but as an example, here's the fighter:
Spoiler:
Levelling example.jpg
Levelling example.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 5005 times

It gives a noticeable change upon leveling, but doesn't overpower the characters.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 am UTC

I wish I could join, but in a week I'm going to Arizona and Nevada for a couple of weeks, so I can't.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Look down at my second post after this'n.
Last edited by Tigerlion on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Half-Orc Barbarian.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:02 am UTC

And I promise not to make my character communist-themed or anything.

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 am UTC

OK, I think I'm in. At the moment, I'm thinking Elf Thief; I may also post a Paladin class, at which case, if that seems balanced, I'd do Elf Paladin.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Oh, actually, I'd like to see the level up tree for both mage and cleric before I decide.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:19 am UTC

if i'm going to go tanking, then i'm going to tank the correct way, which is as a barbarian...i mean really, who chooses the vanilla Fighter for a tank?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Here's my proposal for the Paladin. If anyone has an opinion, let me know.

Spoiler:
Each Paladin gains the following:
Lay on Hands: Burn X, X <= 10. Target gains X energy. Useable once per round

In addition, a paladin my choose of the the two following powers.
Holy Wrath: Spend 5, and choose an enemy whose has damaged you. For the rest of the encounter, increase the damage you do to that enemy by 5. Useable once per encounter.
Holy Shield: Spend 5, and choose an ally. Ally gains +5 defense for the rest of the encounter. Useable once per Encounter.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:11 am UTC

I'm not sure about a level up system based on kills. some classes are based around killing and others assisting. As a player who usually chooses the cleric, I would rather the experience be spread equal and everyone levels at the same time.

My character.

Name: Barkin Morine
Level: 2
Race: Dwarven
Class: Cleric
Spells: Cure light wounds, Cure minor wounds, Bless, Bane, guidance.
Energy: 62
Items: Ring of minor healing: each healing spell heals for an additional 2.
Magical holy symbol: spend x (x<=5) to increase or decrease any number in a prayer by x.
Shaman's Staff: Spend 5 to cast sanctuary during combat.

Abilities:
Slow: attacks against you get a bonus +5.
Magical holy symbol: spend x (x<=5) to increase or decrease any number in a prayer by x.
Cure minor wounds: spend 10 target ally regains 5 (+2) energy. once per round.
Guidance: spend 10 target ally gains +5 to attacks next round.
Cure light wounds: spend 5 target ally regains 10 (+2) energy. once per combat.
Bless: Spend 5 all allies get +5 to attacks for remainder of battle. once per combat.
Bane: Spend 5 all enemies have a -5 penalty to attacks for the remainder of battle. once per combat.

Back story: Long ago Barkin lived in the Morino mines with his clan. They lived a peaceful and prosperous life Mining the hills and forging weapons armor and artifacts. Barkin spent the first 12 years of his life in training as a blacksmith before a great tragedy struck. The mines were invaded by countless hoards of orcs and he could do nothing but sit and watch hoping that he would not be found. When the last of the orcs had left and Barkin walked back into the mines he was struck by a horrible sight. Bodies littered the floor, some still twitching with their last ounce of life, but most stone cold. Everyone and everything he had known was taken away that day and swore not to get revenge, but to bring the back.

The next chapter of Barkin's life was spent training at a monastery to become a cleric. He had heard that the great power of life energy could bring back the dead and he strove to achieve such power. To see his family and friends again, that thought kept him going through his struggle. After 11 years of training Barkin had achieved his goal, the power to use life force energy, but he had also discovered the futility of his efforts. His family, he realised, was in a far better place now and dragging them back for his sake would be selfish. Besides his training thus far had only finally given him the power to start manipulating life energy. It would be a long time before he could use it to bring back the dead.

When the moment of realization hit him, Barkin's left the monastery and traveled around, lost and without a purpose. he wandered aimless from town to town for quite some time, meeting new faces as he went and forgetting them as he left. After some time he realized that there would good people out there, who needed his abilities to protect them. He began accepting quests and living his life as an adventurer with a new sense of purpose. His latest quest has led him to team up with a group of adventurers.
Last edited by Ansain on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:23 am UTC, edited 13 times in total.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 am UTC

Tigion wrote:Oh, actually, I'd like to see the level up tree for both mage and cleric before I decide.

Working on a full SRD. Should be done in a couple of hours.

mbrownmx wrote:Here's my proposal for the Paladin. If anyone has an opinion, let me know.

Spoiler:

Holy Wrath: Spend 5, and choose an enemy whose has damaged you. For the rest of the encounter, increase the damage you do to that enemy by 5. Useable once per encounter.
Holy Shield: Spend 5, and choose an ally. Ally gains +5 defense for the rest of the encounter. Useable once per Encounter.

Lay on hands should have X <= Level * 10. Should also only be healing, so regains energy.
Otherwise good.

Ansain wrote:Name: Barkin Morine
Race: Dwarven
Class: Cleric
Spells: Cure light wounds, Cure moderate wounds, Bless
Energy: 80 (I assumed we start with 100)

Back story:
Spoiler:
Long ago Barkin lived in the Morino mines with his clan. They lived a peaceful and prosperous life Mining the hills and forging weapons armor and artifacts. Barkin spent the first 12 years of his life in training as a blacksmith before a great tragedy struck. The mines were invaded by countless hoards of orcs and he could do nothing but sit and watch hoping that he would not be found. When the last of the orcs had left and Barkin walked back into the mines he was struck by a horrible sight. Bodies littered the floor, some still twitching with their last ounce of life, but most stone cold. Everyone and everything he had known was taken away that day and swore not to get revenge, but to bring the back.

The next chapter of Barkin's life was spent training at a monastery to become a cleric. He had heard that the great power of life energy could bring back the dead and he strove to achieve such power. To see his family and friends again, that thought kept him going through his struggle. After 11 years of training Barkin had achieved his goal, the power to use life force energy, but he had also discovered the futility of his efforts. His family, he realised, was in a far better place now and dragging them back for his sake would be selfish. Besides his training thus far had only finally given him the power to start manipulating life energy. It would be a long time before he could use it to bring back the dead.

When the moment of realization hit him, Barkin's left the monastery and traveled around, lost and without a purpose. he wandered aimless from town to town for quite some time, meeting new faces as he went and forgetting them as he left. After some time he realized that there would good people out there, who needed his abilities to protect them. He began accepting quests and living his life as an adventurer with a new sense of purpose. His latest quest has led him to team up with a group of adventurers.

As he meets them today for the first time he greets them with a hearty " 'ello mates. The name's Barkin"

I'm going to start you all with 80 energy, as you're only first level characters, but you will gain the first couple of levels fairly quickly.

Okay, I've finished the first draft of the SRD. It doesn't currently include the Bard, Barbarian or Paladin though. If the makers of those classes would like to submit the level tree in the same style as the current classes, I'll add them to the document.
Attachments
Super Dungeon Rumble SRD.doc
(113.5 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

How tasty is YOUR brain?

TheAmazingTD

Postby TheAmazingTD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

I'm in, I'll play a human thief.
Belial wrote:I judge the worth of many human beings on a 5 axis scale.

2 of the axes are how much they like firefly.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Impressive, Chrismclegless.

Alright, Human Mage it is, then. Gonna do my character in a sec.

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
mbrownmx wrote:Here's my proposal for the Paladin. If anyone has an opinion, let me know.

Spoiler:

Lay on hands should have X <= Level * 10. Should also only be healing, so regains energy.
Otherwise good.

Ok, sounds good. I meant it to be healing anyway, I just forgot about the terminology thing. Thus, final paladin:
Spoiler:
Lay on Hands: Burn X, X <= Level * 10. Target regains X energy. Useable once per round

As a rules question, (a) Are we allowed to defend other heroes and (b) if so, do the defense bonuses gained while levelling apply to all defenses, or just those by character X for character X?

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

You are allowed to defend other heroes, but the defence bonus only adds to yourself.
I'll work out a level tree for the paladin. Luckily I posted that SRD before my laptop died a couple of hours ago.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:You are allowed to defend other heroes, but the defence bonus only adds to yourself.
I'll work out a level tree for the paladin. Luckily I posted that SRD before my laptop died a couple of hours ago.

I'm actually partway through one myself, but if you want to do it, I welcome you to do so. Obviously what you'll create I assume you think is balanced :)

EDIT: And, for the record, I will be Elf Paladin, 'cause we already have a thief. Probably a HolyWrath-adin, but we'll see.
Last edited by mbrownmx on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

some Items I would like to see
Spoiler:
you may have allready come up with similar items yourself, but here goes.

Ring of the Magi: Spend x to use a spell or prayer with activation cost x without it counting towards your max uses per battle.

Ring of minor healing: all healing spells heal an additional 2 energy. does not stack with other item effects.
(ring of healing, greater healing, and major healing for later on are worth 4, 6, 8 respectively. I'm not sure whether to make it a flat out addition or a percent bonus, but this seems resonable)

Faint Shield: add +5 to defense. The first time your energy goes below 10 do to a round of combat it instead goes to 10.

Robes of power: grants a +5 boost to energy which can only be used to activate spells and prayers. does not stack with other item effects.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Ansain wrote:some Items I would like to see
Spoiler:
you may have already come up with similar items yourself, but here goes.

Ring of the Magi: Spend x to use a spell or prayer with activation cost x without it counting towards your max uses per battle.

Ring of minor healing: all healing spells heal an additional 2 energy. does not stack with other item effects.
(ring of healing, greater healing, and major healing for later on are worth 4, 6, 8 respectively. I'm not sure whether to make it a flat out addition or a percent bonus, but this seems reasonable)

Faint Shield: add +5 to defense. The first time your energy goes below 10 due to a round of combat it instead goes to 10.

Robes of power: grants a +5 boost to energy which can only be used to activate spells and prayers. does not stack with other item effects.

Ring of the Magi should be use once per encounter, otherwise it gives infinite use of spells.

Ring of the Magi: Cost 15 (Reasoning - It effectively is granting an extra spell per encounter. Spells cost 10 to 20 to buy, and this gives versatility in which spell you use it with.)

Ring of minor healing: Cost 10 (Reasoning - For the basic healing spell it is providing an addtional 40% effectiveness. I expect this spell to be used almost every round, so this is quite valuable.)

Faint shield: Cost 10 (Reasoning - +5 defense is worth at least 5, the ability will probably save you 5 energy, and may save your life.)

Robes of Power: Cost 2 (Reasoning - Well, it can't cost more than5 now can it? 2 seems about right.)

Items I'll be putting in:
Rings of telepathy (Pair): Cost 5 each. These rings allow the wearers to PM each other. Normally all communication must be in character.
Sword of Choppery: Cost 10. Only useable by Barbarians. Gain +10 to all your attacks.

There may be more if other people don't submit ideas.

Only two rings may be worn, one per hand. Otherwise the magic interferes, and neither of them work.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

thanks, I had meant to put in that the ring of magi only counts once per battle, but it dissapeared somewhere in my attempts to reword it the right way

Also I have fixed my the first post of my character adding in his item and correcting his energy.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Hey, I have a question. Do we start with 80, regardless of what we buy spell-wise, or do we only get 80 energy to spend? I would imagine it would be the second one, but the former would kick some arse.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

80 minus the cost of all the spells you pick up.

Edit: Also I was wondering. Will this game mainly be us playing the battles and you telling us how the plot moves between battles, or will we have to role play situations like friendly encounters and traps and movement through the dungeon?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

...hey chris, mind putting that list into a program that i can actually open?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Alright, here goes. I've used this character a couple times, but he never really got anywhere.
This was probably covered, but because of a 'horrible injury', I can't scroll up. If we get defeated in a round, we're not out of the game, are we?

Name: The Prophet
Race: Human (probably)
Class: "Mage" (Has all the powers of a mage, is functionally no different than a mage, just is not a mage according to his background and history. In short, The Prophet has not practiced any arcane arts. I don't suppose this is a problem?)

Spells:

Magic Missile: Spend 5 – Target enemy takes 10 unblockable damage. Cost 10.
Shield: Spend 5 – target player's defense this round is increased by 20. Cost 10.
Detect thoughts: Spend 10 – Target enemy must post his actions publicly before each round. Cost 20.

Items: (energy left to spend on items: 1)

Ring of telepathy: These rings allow the wearers to PM each other. Normally all communication must be in character.
Healing Draught: Usable only once. Heal 5

Energy: 40

Background: This young-looking man wandered into town one day, with nothing but a staff and his robes. He was apparently some sort of preacher, but none like the town had ever seen. He didn't preach the words of any god, but instead told the town about all the Gods. It appeared that this Prophet was tasked by all of the Gods, as a group, to spread a philosophy called 'Omnimodism'. It was some sort of twisted atheism. The Omnimodists refused to worship a God, but instead resolved to merely believe in them. This was to destroy the previous bond that clung mortals to their gods and vice versa. By having the same amount of believers, it gave the gods all equal footing so they could stop fighting over mortals and govern them, like they're supposed to.

The Prophet himself is ageless, having immortality thrust upon him to preach an endless word. He is physically blind, but uses his divine powers (which are sanctioned by the Gods, of course) to see, among other things.

Since the Prophet is fairly new at the whole Propheterring business, the Gods haven't unlocked the full capacity of his powers quite yet, as The Prophet has to prove himself.

Hey, where is our initial setting? I suggest a tavern! And our tutorial/introduction to combat could be a bar fight!
Last edited by Tigerlion on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Tigion wrote:Hey, I have a question. Do we start with 80, regardless of what we buy spell-wise, or do we only get 80 energy to spend? I would imagine it would be the second one, but the former would kick some arse.

80 minus the cost of all the spells and items you pick up.

Ansain wrote:Also I was wondering. Will this game mainly be us playing the battles and you telling us how the plot moves between battles, or will we have to role play situations like friendly encounters and traps and movement through the dungeon?

I was intending to have you roleplay it. That's what I assumed you'd prefer. If not, I could storytell, I don't mind.

Bulvox wrote:...hey chris, mind putting that list into a program that i can actually open?

Will do. Posting revised SRD in .doc and .rtf . Now includes level trees for Barbarian, Paladin, Bard and Monk. (P.S. Tigion, I've reworked Bard quite a bit. I like your ideas, but I've jiggled them around to fit in with the level system. Hope you don't mind, given that you're not actually playing one.)

Tigion wrote:This was probably covered, but because of a 'horrible injury', I can't scroll up. If we get defeated in a round, we're not out of the game, are we?

No. You're out of that battle, but will be fully healed at the end of the encounter.
Attachments
Super Dungeon Rumble SRD.rtf
(220.62 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Super Dungeon Rumble SRD.doc
(163.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Noooo worries.

Afterthought: What if we all lose?

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
Bulvox wrote:...hey chris, mind putting that list into a program that i can actually open?

Will do. Posting revised SRD in .doc and .rtf . Now includes level trees for Barbarian, Paladin, Bard and Monk. (P.S. Tigion, I've reworked Bard quite a bit. I like your ideas, but I've jiggled them around to fit in with the level system. Hope you don't mind, given that you're not actually playing one.)

Wow, your paladin tree looks very little like mine (all we agreed on was that the Paladin gets +2 attack/+2 defence per level). Anyway, I was gonna propose the below; I'm willing to go with either version, though, so if you'd rather do yours, that's fine. I think the differences largely came 'cause I was working with the idea that Paladin = Divine Warrior (not necessarily Lawful Good in a D&D sense), as opposed to LG warrior (basically, D&D 3rd vs. D&D 4th)

Spoiler:
Paladin
Like the cleric, your devotion to your god aids you in the fight. You have a more martial bend than the cleric, however, going forth with sword and shield into the fray, protecting your allies and calling down terrible vengeance on your foes.

Each level, the paladin gains a permanent bonus to all attacks and his defence. Every 2 levels, his powers improve. Every five levels he gains a new power.

The paladin gains the following powers:

Lay on Hands: Burn X, X <= Level * 10. Target regains X energy. Useable once per round
For each level that Lay on Hands improves, the paladin may choose an additional target, and divide the healing between all targets as he chooses.

Holy Power: Choose one of the two powers below:
Holy Shield: Spend 5, and choose an ally. Ally gains +5 defence for the rest of the encounter. Useable once per Encounter.
For each level that Holy Power improves, increase the extra damage dealt or extra defence provided by 5.

Code: Select all

Level   Attack/Defence Bonus   Powers
1           2                  Starting Powers
2           4                  Holy Power improves
3           6                                  
4           8                  Lay on Hands improves
5           10                 Gain Improved Holy Power
6           12                 Holy improves
7           14   
8           16                 Lay on Hands improves
9           18   
10          20                 Gain Advanced Holy Power

Improved Holy Power: Choose one of the two powers below:
Healing Blow: Spend 15, and choose an enemy you are attacking and an ally. That ally heals one third of the damage you deal that enemy this turn. Useable once per encounter.
Vengeful Shield: Spend 15, and choose an ally. Anyone who damages that ally this turn takes 5 damage. Useable once per Encounter.

Vengeful Burst: Spend 30. You may not attack this round. Anyone who deals damage to you or an ally takes 10 damage. Useable once per encounter.
Divine Intercession: Burn 15, and choose an ally. You take all damage that would be dealt to that ally this turn.. Useable once per Encounter.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Tigion wrote:Afterthought: What if we all lose?

Uh, then you're screwed. End of campaign. Either that or I figure something out to save all your asses. Hopefully it won't come to this.

mbrownmx wrote:Wow, your paladin tree looks very little like mine (all we agreed on was that the Paladin gets +2 attack/+2 defence per level). Anyway, I was gonna propose the below; I'm willing to go with either version, though, so if you'd rather do yours, that's fine. I think the differences largely came 'cause I was working with the idea that Paladin = Divine Warrior (not necessarily Lawful Good in a D&D sense), as opposed to LG warrior (basically, D&D 3rd vs. D&D 4th)

Spoiler:
Paladin
Like the cleric, your devotion to your god aids you in the fight. You have a more martial bend than the cleric, however, going forth with sword and shield into the fray, protecting your allies and calling down terrible vengeance on your foes.

Each level, the paladin gains a permanent bonus to all attacks and his defence. Every 2 levels, his powers improve. Every five levels he gains a new power.

For each level that Lay on Hands improves, the paladin may choose an additional target, and divide the healing between all targets as he chooses.

Holy Shield: Spend 5, and choose an ally. Ally gains +5 defence for the rest of the encounter. Useable once per Encounter.
For each level that Holy Power improves, increase the extra damage dealt or extra defence provided by 5.

3           6                                  
7           14   
9           18   

Healing Blow: Spend 15, and choose an enemy you are attacking and an ally. That ally heals one third of the damage you deal that enemy this turn. Useable once per encounter.
Vengeful Shield: Spend 15, and choose an ally. Anyone who damages that ally this turn takes 5 damage. Useable once per Encounter.

Vengeful Burst: Spend 30. You may not attack this round. Anyone who deals damage to you or an ally takes 10 damage. Useable once per encounter.
Divine Intercession: Burn 15, and choose an ally. You take all damage that would be dealt to that ally this turn.. Useable once per Encounter.

I don't mind. Given that you're the one who wants to play a paladin, we'll use your skill tree.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

mbrownmx

Postby mbrownmx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
mbrownmx wrote:Wow, your paladin tree looks very little like mine (all we agreed on was that the Paladin gets +2 attack/+2 defence per level). Anyway, I was gonna propose the below; I'm willing to go with either version, though, so if you'd rather do yours, that's fine. I think the differences largely came 'cause I was working with the idea that Paladin = Divine Warrior (not necessarily Lawful Good in a D&D sense), as opposed to LG warrior (basically, D&D 3rd vs. D&D 4th)

Spoiler:
Paladin

3           6                                  
7           14   
9           18   

I don't mind. Given that you're the one who wants to play a paladin, we'll use your skill tree.

Alright, cool. Obviously, for the record, the last set there was supposed to be "Advanced Holy Power."

ANyway, I'll post a character sometime after I get home from work today.

Return to “Forum Games”