Superhero Rumble - for old times sake

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Chrismclegless

Superhero Rumble - for old times sake

Postby Chrismclegless » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Rules, courtesy of AvalonXQ

rules
Sign up for a new game of this, GM'd by me. I'll take up to 7 sign ups, but will start the game a reasonable amount of time after 5. I would encourage people who haven't played a round of this yet to give it a try.
When you sign up, also PM me two powers you're offering up for bidding. Feel free to choose powers from the basic list; every power we bid on doesn't necessarily have to be completely off-the-wall. I'll also add a couple of powers to the list myself (but you won't know which they are).
The one house rule is Power Veto. When I post the list of powers you'll be bidding on, any player may bring up a power that they think will make the game "not fun" (NOTE: this is NOT for getting rid of powers you don't like; it's for trying to eliminate powers that will make the game generally less fun). If a reasonable number of the players agree that the power is not fun, I'll kick it and PM the person who made it to quickly make another.
Feel free to ask questions, or to just sign up.

Notes from the last two rounds:
1) You can attack any number of people each round.
2) When you submit powers, please distinguish between Attacks (which are Defended against), and Damage which is not. Most powers should be Attacks rather than Damage, and any flat-out Damage should usually be a much smaller amount. I don't believe the terms "unavoidable" or "unblockable" have ANY inherent meaning; if you want damage or attacks to avoid something, say so explicitly.
3) Similarly, always use the terms Spend or Burn to refer to using Energy as part of powers. Spending Energy means you have it again next round; Burning means your Energy is permanently reduced.
4) Feel free to link your submitted powers to their power strength in some way. This means that the more people bid on the power, the more powerful it is. This is fun.

1. Bulvox
2. Camoninja
3. Ansain
4. Matthias
5. Luthen
Last edited by Chrismclegless on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:44 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Bulvox

Re: Superhero Rumble - for old times sake

Postby Bulvox » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

/in
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:41 am UTC

I'm playing
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent- Isaac Asimov

...Space, with nothing on top, nothing on the bottom, and a lot of empty nothings between... falling in the middle of nothing, on the way to no particular night and no particular morning.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

I'm game
Why put off till today what you could just as easily get done tomorrow?

I can mathematically prove that 1 equals 0!.

Parts a-x in my plan weren't that important anyways.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Can I sign up? I know I pulled a Tom Bombadil in the Wraith fight, so I would understand if the answer is no.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

I'll play, hope I don't make a fool of myself.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

We have 5 sign ups. Game will commence when I have everyone's powers in. If I haven't posted the powers yet, you're still OK to join.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Schweet. I'll send in a coupla powers in a few minutes, just as soon as I think of some cool ones. (detailed planning was my dump stat; curse thee, o wasted youth.)

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

I've sent my powers

...Space, with nothing on top, nothing on the bottom, and a lot of empty nothings between... falling in the middle of nothing, on the way to no particular night and no particular morning.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Invisibility sphere
Spend 10 energy to activate or deactivate the invisibility sphere. While active any player may spend 5 energy to enter or leave the sphere. attacks made by players outside the sphere have a 50% chance of missing their target if that target is inside the sphere. attacks made by players inside the sphere hit a random target that is not themselves.

Duct tape
At the end of each round either gain 5 energy or add 5 to the power strength of one of your powers.

Defence Breaker
Allocate two separate energy values- X and Y. The value of X will be subtracted from the target player's allocated defence, and the value of Y will be the damage dealt to the target player after X has been subtracted from their defence. If the value of X is greater than the target player's defense for the round, the difference will be added to the value of Y. ( so if player one assigns X to be 20, and Y to be 20, and his target had 10 allocated defence, the extra 10 left over from X will be added to Y, making it 30 instead of 20) This power can only be used once per round.

Explosion
Allocate X energy to deal X damage to all players. After using this power, the user's energy is depleted to 20, regardless of what he assigned the value of X to be. If the user's energy minus the value of X equals a number lower than 20, the user dies.

Power Projection: Protection Ejection Rejection
Burn 5 energy to use this power for one round. Any time a negative effect, such as damage, would be dealt to you as a result of attacking another player, that effect is negated.

Whirling Dervish
If you put all of your energy into attack in any given round, avoid the single largest source of damage that would be otherwise dealt to you in that round.

Watch the Crossfire
Every time you Defend against an Attack (even partially), redirect the damage that you would have taken so that it hits anyone but the original Attacker. This redirected damage is unblockable as it takes the Defender by surprise.

Dodge This
Spend 5 Energy and do not Attack as you move into close range against a single target. Your Attacks against that target are unblockable for the rest of the Rumble. Spend 5 Energy and do not Attack for a round to switch the target at any time.

Shoop Da Woop
Spend 4x: Target player takes X unavoidable damage.

Powerthirst
Activates automatically the first time your energy drops to 10 or below. You gain 60 energy.

Mystery Box
This box contains an unknown power. Bid on it as normal.

To answer some questions on powers:
1. The random miss chance and random target caused by Invisibility sphere are negative effects. Therefore Protection Ejection Rejection does defend against them.
2. Yes, defence breaker does allow you to deal 1:1 direct damage to one target per turn.
3. Powerthirst does not activate if you die on the turn it would activate.
4. Whirling Dervish can defend against unblockable damage.

Questions? If none, let the bidding commence.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

"Dodge This" seems kind of unfair. Spending only five energy to be able to ignore someone's defense for the entire game? It could probably be made better if instead of the entire game, it was just the next round. Or maybe if it was an energy value higher than just five.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

That just means that whoever takes it either pays a lot for the power, or gets mobbed and dies on the first turn. These things happen. Plus, using it makes you a target, as everyone knows that you'll be attacking a certain person.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

By the by, the incidental questions:

Is this a free-for-all or Team Deathmatch?
and
We got any back story for this shebang? (Wow, shebang is a real word.)

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Waiting for bids from Bulvox

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:07 am UTC

Invisibility sphere Ansain 5

Duct tape Luthen 20

Defence Breaker Ansain 11

Explosion Bulvox 12

Power Projection: Protection Ejection Rejection Ansain 7

Whirling Dervish Matthias 30

Watch the Crossfire Luthen 25

Dodge This Luthen 10

Shoop Da Woop Bulvox 15

Powerthirst Bulvox 13

Mystery Box Matthias 25

And inside the mystery box is a random power chosen from the games I've played in...
Friend to small animals
Spend 10 Energy: Create a 10-Energy Hero under your control. This hero doesn't have any powers and cannot Attack this round. As long as there are still animals in play, you are not considered defeated.

Camoninja - 100 energy

Ansain - 77 energy
Invisibility sphere
Defence Breaker

Bulvox - 60 energy
Explosion
Shoop Da Woop
Powerthirst

Luthen - 45 energy
Duct Tape
Watch the Crossfire
Dodge This

Matthias - 45 energy
Whirling Dervish
Friend to Small Animals

Post your heroes and we'll get this party started!

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Damnit, I'm not very good at this bidding thing. What would be a good name for a hero with no powers?

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:25 am UTC

Batman?

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Oops, bid more than I expected, to the bat naming cave!

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:57 am UTC

I am Voltorb.

Explosion: Allocate X energy to deal X damage to all players. After using this power, the user's energy is depleted to 20, regardless of what he assigned the value of X to be. If the user's energy minus the value of X equals a number lower than 20, the user dies. (12)

Shoop Da Woop: Spend 4x: Target player takes X unavoidable damage.(15)

Powerthirst: Activates automatically the first time your energy drops to 10 or below. You gain 60 energy.(13)

Energy: 60

quick question, If I use Explosion to bring me to less than 10, does Powerthirst activate before I die from the side effect of Explosion?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I am Rick Astley

So, uh... team deathmatch or free-for-all?

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

FFA.

Explosion actually states that you die, so that takes precedence over Powerthirst.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

The Invisible man

Energy: 77

Invisibility sphere:
Spend 10 energy to activate or deactivate the invisibility sphere. While active any player may spend 5 energy to enter or leave the sphere. attacks made by players outside the sphere have a 50% chance of missing their target if that target is inside the sphere. attacks made by players inside the sphere hit a random target that is not themselves.

Attack from the shadows:
Allocate two separate energy values- X and Y. The value of X will be subtracted from the target player's allocated defence, and the value of Y will be the damage dealt to the target player after X has been subtracted from their defence. If the value of X is greater than the target player's defense for the round, the difference will be added to the value of Y. ( so if player one assigns X to be 20, and Y to be 20, and his target had 10 allocated defence, the extra 10 left over from X will be added to Y, making it 30 instead of 20) This power can only be used once per round.

Burn 5 energy to use this power for one round. Any time a negative effect, such as damage, would be dealt to you as a result of attacking another player, that effect is negated.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

I'm trying to follow this game so that I can join the next one. I don't understand the attack from the shadows. Why would you put any energy into attacking when you can just put all that energy into Y (directly to the player)?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

because it costs more, and you can only use it once per round.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

It doesn't cost any more, Bulvox. The only limitation is that it can only be used once per turn. I did point out that it was 1:1 direct damage in my powers post. I'm surprised it went for as little as it did. I also don't see a point in allocating energy to X, when you can just put it in Y and ensure it does damage. Am I missing something?

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:55 am UTC

well if multiple people attack the same person that you're using it on, this could potentially allow more damage through if you put energy into X.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:55 am UTC

It really is quite unbalanced. possible ways to balance it for future games
- y may not be larger than x
- y and x may not be larger than this power's strength
- y deals half damage unless the players defense is reduced to 0.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

I guess I misunderstood the power as described. I was under the impression that Y was normal, non-direct damage, so I figured the power would be kinda useless.

Oh, well; 45 energy means I'm dyin' pretty quick anyway. To arms, lads (and lasses)!

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:well if multiple people attack the same person that you're using it on, this could potentially allow more damage through if you put energy into X.

No. Your maths is wrong. People don't have to individually overcome someone's defence - their attacks are summed, the defence is subtracted, and the remainder is applied as damage.

I made a point of mentioning this power specifically to draw attention to how powerful it was, but nobody seemed to take any notice. Your loss.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

meh, it just means that he's the first to die.
2839.png
2839.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
Bulvox wrote:well if multiple people attack the same person that you're using it on, this could potentially allow more damage through if you put energy into X.

No. Your maths is wrong. People don't have to individually overcome someone's defence - their attacks are summed, the defence is subtracted, and the remainder is applied as damage.

I made a point of mentioning this power specifically to draw attention to how powerful it was, but nobody seemed to take any notice. Your loss.

specific powers actually can make the defense lowering part be more effective. For instance if another player applied poison when they did damage player A could lower player B's defense allowing player C to poison player B. Another way that it could be useful is if a player got to deal direct damage to any other player whenever they defended against an attack.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

Rick Astley looked out the tinted window of his limousine, the storefronts and streetlights rolling by, painting the scene in technicolor. After a few minutes, the scene slowed, and finally came to a standstill as the limo found itself in the midst of a traffic jam.

"Sorry, Mr. Astley, look's like there's been some kind of accident up ahead; we could be here a while," his driver said.
"Relax, it's a private jet," Rick answered. "I doubt they'll leave early."

As the words were leaving his mouth, the familiar voice of Soterios Johnson cut across the music on the radio: "This is an emergency announcement from the Rumble City Police Department. Any citizens in the vicinity of Main Street are advised--nay, urged--to evacuate the area immediately. There has been an outbreak of superpowered violence in this section, and any meta-humans of power level five or less are in serious danger. I repeat, this is an emergency announcement..."

He cut off the radio and flipped open a secret compartment on the armrest of his seat. His driver saw him punching in a code, and sighed. "I don't suppose I could convince you to just go to the airport like a sane person?"

Rick smiled at his driver as the sunroof slid back. "Come on, John, I didn't spend those forty-five years in a time-loop studying raccoon-style ninjutsu for nothing."

"Right, because that would have just been silly," his driver John answered. "Just try not to be too late for the flight this time, okay?"

"What, you expect me to let you down?" Rick asked as he slid his sunglasses on. "I'd never do that."

The tie-downs holding his seat in place released, and the back seat of the limo shot into air. A moment later, the vestigial cushioning fell away, and the secondary boosters kicked in; whistling the Indiana Jones theme song, Rick Astley piloted his jet-pack towards the superhero showdown.

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Alright, I'll just go with the name Andrew, since I'm really just a normal person. I don't see any reason for me to have a superhero style pseudonym.

Andrew sat in the backseat of the car, bored out of his mind. Edging down the road at snail pace on the way to a family vacation to Canada was not his idea of a good time. He had no idea why they were even leaving Rumble City. There was so much to do and see there, what with the heroes, the fights, the storefronts. Hell, just going down the main street was like traveling around the world twice, there was so much stuff. Andrew just couldn't see how any place in Canada could be as exciting or interesting as Rumble City. But he couldn't simply tell his parents that he didn't want to go with them. He had come all the way from his home in Connecticut to see them, with full knowledge that they were all going to boring old Canada. If he had known what Rumble city was going to be like, though, he would have been more than happy to simply stay there and explore the city. As he mulled all of this over in his mind, Andrew was broken out of his reverie by a loud announcement on the radio. Something about the police department and evacuations. It didn't really catch his attention until he heard the word superpowered. The announcement went on, mentioning meta-humans and power levels, but Andrew had no idea what this meant. All he cared about right now was the superpowered fighting. There was no way he was going to pass up an opportunity like this. He unbuckled his seatbelt and opened the door. The traffic they were stuck in wasn't moving at all, and a lot of other people had done this as well.
"Good idea, Andrew," said Andrew's father. "Let's get out of here on foot. This traffic isn't going anywhere, especially with fighting going on."
"Get out of here?" replied Andrew, incredulously. "No way! I'm going to see the fight!"
"Didn't you hear?" said his father. "We have to evacuate, it's too dangerous!"
"Relax, dad!" Andrew grinned "these guys are superheroes! They wouldn't let a civilian be injured!"
With that, Andrew rushed off towards the commotion.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

Can people please send in their first round moves. A couple of you have done so already, that's great.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

Okay, decided on a hero:

Rock Lee
Spoiler:

Duct tape
At the end of each round either gain 5 energy or add 5 to the power strength of one of your powers.

Watch the Crossfire
Every time you Defend against an Attack (even partially), redirect the damage that you would have taken so that it hits anyone but the original Attacker. This redirected damage is unblockable as it takes the Defender by surprise.

Dodge This
Spend 5 Energy and do not Attack as you move into close range against a single target. Your Attacks against that target are unblockable for the rest of the Rumble. Spend 5 Energy and do not Attack for a round to switch the target at any time.

Does a round work something like this?:
1. We PM Chrismclegless our Attack/Defence/Power choices for the round.
2. Chrismclegless PMs us who's attacked us
3. We PM Chrismclegless how we're distributing our defence and powers (like my Watch the Crossfire)
4. Chrismclegless posts final results for round
5. We roleplay
6. repeat

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

I come in here, for nostalgia's sake, and LOOK WHAT YOU DO, LUTHEN

For the confused: There was a forum game around that was dedicated to my annoyance. That picture was featured mightily.
Sorry for derailing.

Side-note: If I had know 'bout this game, I would have joined.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Wow, Tigion. That was a pretty dynamic entry there.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Dynamic Entry!!!
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I sniff at you in disapproval.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 am UTC

Tigerlion wrote:I come in here, for nostalgia's sake, and LOOK WHAT YOU DO, LUTHEN

For the confused: There was a forum game around that was dedicated to my annoyance. That picture was featured mightily.
Sorry for derailing.

Side-note: If I had know 'bout this game, I would have joined.
It was spoilered, you brought it upon yourself.

Return to “Forum Games”