Mornington Crescent

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Mornington Crescent

Postby Vytron » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am UTC

Moving to Dawnton Crescent anyway, since ODF doesn't seem to be playing anymore. I just wasted my last turn :(

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

I perform a double drop cross, moving to the M25 and gaining one token.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 am UTC

patzer wrote:I perform a double drop cross, moving to the M25 and gaining one token.

That's a risky move in version 2.7a(b)... If anyone plays a fatality you'll be stuck in traffic for at least three turns due to the rain modifier!

I flip my token, move to Euston.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am UTC

Ow, patzer's back? Expected this to be a race against eviloatmeal, if more players are going to be playing, I'll consider this a revival and move to;

Twilightton Crescent

After all.

So my move of two moves ago wasn't a waste. My last turn was a waste.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

Heathrow Airport

Re-activating internationals because I can't believe you guys continued the same game after all this time.

Happy shunting.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:That's a risky move in version 2.7a(b)... If anyone plays a fatality you'll be stuck in traffic for at least three turns due to the rain modifier!

Ah, I thought it seemed too good to be true. I'm new to this game, so I think I'll stick with some safer moves from now on.
On the other hand, Heathrow Airport is just too much of an opportunity to not play a risky move...

I'll go to Charles de Gaulle Airport.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Re-activating internationals because I can't believe you guys continued the same game after all this time.

Technically we aren't.

With the Viva La Revolutione Morningtone Crescente Revampe of July 1 2014 that affected all MC ongoing games, we're basically starting from scratch. That is, nobody is closer to Mornington Crescent than at the start of the game. And our saved items and tokens won't help us much to get there faster, we need new ones.

I highly suspect this change in the rules happened because the Discrete Faithful Slave was about to lose a game and the only way to save it was to change the rules of all games.

And with Mishrak re-activating internationals both my last two turns were a waste :x

Nightton Crescent

Which I was in in August 2013, bah! This is worse than running in circles. I don't think this approach is working so I'll:

Reverse the Game

So I can leave this Crescent Labyrinth next turn because there's no morning that I can see around here.

But, get ready guys, next turn I'll be able to move to 4 different stations in the next turn so make up for these lost 11months :twisted:

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

Interesting tactic. I believe I could trap Vytron in the crescents for a few more turns, but doing so would compromise my position, so I'll play it safe with

Thestral Crescent.

This does give Vytron a bridge out of the crescents, but that was going to happen anyway.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Interesting tactic. I believe I could trap Vytron in the crescents for a few more turns

Well, I think you just won yourself a Bastard Token :evil:

I take my Four Turns:

Afternoonton Crescent.

Evenington Crescent.

Noonton Crescent.

Crescentton Crescent

And no, I wasn't going for the bridge, I just wanted to leave this damn maze!

Essah

Postby Essah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
patzer wrote:Interesting tactic. I believe I could trap Vytron in the crescents for a few more turns

Well, I think you just won yourself a Bastard Token :evil:

I take my Four Turns:

Afternoonton Crescent.

Evenington Crescent.

Noonton Crescent.

Crescentton Crescent

And no, I wasn't going for the bridge, I just wanted to leave this damn maze!

It would appear that you are following continental rules, the 1992 Rules tips and advice for mornington Crescent by Phillip Boatsman clearly states that any usage of continental rules must be stated before the turn and costs
a) 5 tokens and a sacrificed turn
b) 10 tokens
c) a waitover and a return to Stockwell

However as you seem to have missed this little detail, you will slidethrough to Morden by default.

My turn,
I'll pickup 3 litter symbols and make my turn to London Brigde
which gives me blackline bonus and I gain 3 speed boosters, as well as letting me pick up any of your dropped tokens.

your move gentlemen

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Essah wrote:I'll pickup 3 litter symbols and make my turn to London Brigde

:D :D :D :D :D

I claim advantage under rule 71.1(b) [more commonly known as the Typo Rule], moving to

London Bridge

And thus gaining four tokens.

I believe I am now only five turns away from Mornington Crescent. The race is on!

Although, admittedly I have not been playing for long, so this opportunity does seem too good to be true. I hope there is no counter-typo-rule blocking me (I only have the Abridged 1992 version of the rulebook)

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I claim advantage under rule 71.1(b) [more commonly known as the Typo Rule], moving to

London Bridge

And thus gaining four tokens.

I believe I am now only five turns away from Mornington Crescent. The race is on!

Although, admittedly I have not been playing for long, so this opportunity does seem too good to be true. I hope there is no counter-typo-rule blocking me (I only have the Abridged 1992 version of the rulebook)

The counter-typo-rule is only in Westminster-on-Eaves variants, which I believe we have determined are not applicable to the current match. Thus we have no choice but to grant you the move. However, you may not have chosen wisely, as this opens up a Ealings transfer maneuver on the second crossing. Given that one would have to be a fool to pass up such an opportunity, I hereby declare the Covenant and make the transfer to Lancaster Gate, and claim three of your four new tokens.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Ouch. There goes my plans for a quick victory.

Better return to Thestral Crescent and look for a northern circuit.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

I'm still confused how we transitioned from Bollocks MC to Traditional Shunts & Ladders MC without anyone seeing the move i'm about to make. I mean...I thought for sure my enabling of the internationals would be a dead give away but I guess not.

Reverse 2nd Orthogonal Shunt to Mornington Crescent.

Chapeau lads, chapeau. Longest game I've ever played but a win's a win.

Who wants to pick the next variation?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

Essah wrote:It would appear that you are following continental rules

Wow, I didn't know there were other rules other than continental! So no idea I had to specify.

But, can we pretend it was my plan all along to escape the crescents via:

Afternoonton Crescent-Evenington Crescent-Noonton Crescent-Crescentton Crescent-Morden

?

That's 5 Turns in a move! It'd look impressive in my game logs.

Anyway, I'm a bit late, I could have stopped Mishrak's win if I logged in before, but I was asleep.

I still blame patzer for the lose, we lost twenty dollars and my self respect because he wanted to keep Mornington Crescent within a Ten Turns range, which as we've seen, is very risky.

Anyway my proposal:

Let's play Flavorless Mornington Crescent.

Reasoning: Flavorless Mornington Crescent can only be started the third Friday of July of the year. It would be kind of a waste to not take this opportunity!

And, huh, congrats Mishrak, I like your simple and strong play. I tend to overcomplicate my moves...

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:16 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Let's play Flavorless Mornington Crescent.

Reasoning: Flavorless Mornington Crescent can only be started the third Friday of July of the year. It would be kind of a waste to not take this opportunity!

Agreed. But It's Saturday where I am. Someone in the Americas will have to start the game.

And nice win from Mishrak! I certainly didn't see that coming. Congrats.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:33 am UTC

Okay, since we're 5 hours and a half short from missing this game, I'm starting it already:

Mornington Crescent
Flavorless Variation
Standard Ruleset

Everyone starts at Mornington Crescent and the challenge is to go back to Mornington Crescent ASAP.

Good luck and have fun! This is my first Flavorless Mornington Crescent, usually people forget this exist and miss starting it on time...

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

Um... I don't think the standard ruleset even has any defined moves from Mornington Crescent, especially if you have zero tokens (which I have) and nothing has been triggered yet.

So I play Mornington Crescent, causing a minor explosion, closing Mornington Crescent for the forseeable future. I lose my zero tokens, and now have nonzero tokens.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

Hold on... did you

What just happened?!

I... I think you won? :shock:

Wait a minute...

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Did you come back to Mornington Crescent without leaving it? I think you managed to win in 0 moves.

Can someone explain? I think the minor explosion Elmach mentioned happened in my brain!

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

Well, I'd say that according to the Second Standard Mornington Cresent Dictionary, Rule Guide And Cooking Book, third edition the phrase "come back to" in relation to a station or other location implies that the location has been left. As Elmach did not leave Mornington Cresent, he can't have come back to it, and thus hasn't won yet. However, by obtaining non-zero tokens, he has managed to find a (potential) way to leave Mornington Cresent in the first place, while everybody else is still trapped there.

I officially reflect on Elmach previous action, which activates reflection and thus mirror rules. I will now mirror his next move, moving to the same spot that he moves.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:Well, I'd say that according to the Second Standard Mornington Cresent Dictionary, Rule Guide And Cooking Book, third edition the phrase "come back to" in relation to a station or other location implies that the location has been left.

Rats. I only have the fourth edition, where that definition is nowhere to be found. I regret switching to Nightly Updates which appear to be buggy and delete such content at will.

Thanks for explaining.

I guess I have no other option but to get stuck in a...

Mornington Crescent

Mornington Crescent

Mornington Crescent

Mornington Crescent

Loop

I should get a token every time I try to leave the station but come back to it! (come back as in the Second Standard Mornington Cresent Dictionary, Rule Guide And Cooking Book, fourth edition's non-existant definition.)

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:36 am UTC

Hmph. So we're all trapped in where we want to be until we find a way out because we have to get out to get in?

Then I stand on my head.

ʇuǝɔsǝɹƆ uoʇƃuᴉuɹoW

Technically, as my feet left Mornington Crescent, next turn I am able to return my feet to Mornington Crescent and win, correct? Although I doubt this is the spirit of the rules, I see nothing preventing this.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 am UTC

No, you have to physically leave the station (not just your feet).

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:32 am UTC

Well. If 3rd orthogonal space time shunts are allowed then we can travel to the past and the future simultaneously and leave Mornington Crescent in the present. However they're quite dangerous to use and they're generally banned. This is a nasty loop even worse than a Dolis Hill loop so maybe we can make an exception.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:38 am UTC

I like that idea:

Move to alternative dimension where Mornington Crescent isn't closed.

Dolis Hill

Dolis Hill

Dolis Hill

Loop

This is getting me far away from the goal (what with having to go back to the game dimension first) but at least I have Countably Infinite Tokens now, perhaps they'll come in handy. Perhaps not.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 am UTC

I trash my rights, capture a Borg queen, and move to plain, non-loop Dollis Hill. Since this is Flavorless, I claim Vytron as my token. Vytron's next move must be on an odd-numbered minute.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 am UTC

I'm not in your game anymore, I'm on a parallel game that happens on the same thread (and that I can't win unless I find my way back into your game.)

Thus, I can play in an even numbered minute.

Dolis Hill

My tokens are now Countably Infinite Plus One.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

Hmmm... while my move seemed clever at the time, it seems like I'm stuck until Elmach posts here. Oh well. I guess I can prepare for that time.

I switch allegiance to the Circle Route.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:08 am UTC

Dolis Hill

My tokens are now Countably Infinite Plus Two.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 am UTC

This is not good. We've ended up with parallell gamelines, and Vytron is benefitting by gaining a lot of tokens! I'll have to...

Oxford Circus Picadilly Circus

Oxford CircuPsicadilly Circus

Oxford CiPriccuasdilly Circus

OxPiocarddiClilyrcuisus

Pixcfaodridlly Circus

There. I fixed it. Well, close enough.

And Vytron's tokens are halved in the process, so (ℵ0+2)/2 tokens. And I place a sandwich on blue.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:45 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:And Vytron's tokens are halved in the process, so (ℵ0+2)/2 tokens.

Not really, I'm left with ℵ0+1 tokens.

Proof:

I had Countably Infinite Tokens. This means, that for every token that I had, you can write a digit on them.

So there's a Token 1, a Token 2, a Token 3...

For any positive number, I had a token.

When I gained two tokens, the extra tokens couldn't have been from a positive number, because I already had them all.

Thus, my extra tokens were Tokens 0 and -1.

And what did you do next?

eviloatmeal wrote:And Vytron's tokens are halved in the process, so (ℵ0+2)/2 tokens.

This is equivalent to killing all my positive even tokens (half my tokens). Plus my 0 token (half in the group with the -1 and 0 tokens).

So I lost Token 2, Token 4, Token 6...

In fact, by making me lose half my tokens, you made me lose Countably Infinite Tokens, because all my even numbered Tokens were infinite.

However, I still have all my odd Tokens.

I still have Token 1, Token 3, Token 5...

For any positive odd number that you can name, I have a token, so I still have Countably Infinite Tokens. Plus the negative one token.

In other words:

(ℵ0+2)/2=(ℵ0+1)

And now I'll play:

Mornington Crescent

Which wins me the parallel game nobody cares about :( - but at least it wins me back Token 0, so I go back to ℵ0+2 (one token for all positive odd numbers, 0 and -1.)

Now, I offer:

Countably Infinite Tokens to whoever can get me back to the game

Namely, I'll give whoever can get me back into the game all my tokens divisible by 3 (that's tokens 3, 9, 15, 21, 27...)

Please, guys, this parallel game feels like a ghost town, I want to be back :cry:

--------

On another note: We have tied the record of most Mornington Crescents played in a game (and/or parallel)! Set by Napoleon IV (note: some guy whose nick was Napoleon IV, don't get ideas.) He played as many as we did and won the game, so whoever wins this game will beat the record and go into the history books!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

I see we're having fun playing space time. I really enjoy stirring up crazy games, even if I'm no longer playing them.

Also Napoleon IV is me.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

Is it true that you traveled in time to see how Mornington Crescent of the future was like? And why did you retire? Your wins were awesome!

Also, I played in that game, I was Duke of Wellington II on there (I always kept that as a secret, but if Napoleon IV himself revealed his true identity, then I don't see why not me. Heh, and I remember all the forum threads full of speculation on who this Napoleon IV was, those guys would go insane to know it turned out to be Mishrak! Though I guess the announcement is a few years a bit late. Nobody ever speculated or cared about who Duke of Wellington II was, so keeping my secret was easy.)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

Yep yep!

Also while you were distracted:
3rd orthogonal space time shunt to Mornington Crescent in all possible dimensions and times and games. That's 12 victories for me (because only 12 games were being played).

Lets pick a less loopy and less harrowed and less marginalized game of MC next time.

P.S.

There's a reason why 3rd orthogonal shunts are banned. Now you should see why.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

Well, that move is only possible if you have 11 victories, so you wouldn't have won if you weren't Napoleon IV :P

Anyway, still enjoyed the Flavorless Variation thoroughly, I have never had so many tokens in a game before. Too bad Napoleon IV (Mishrak) has the record of most tokens too...

Congrats! I now think you also have the record of the guy that has broken their own records the most times? :mrgreen: It took you four years for this record, so I expect you'll play in another game with most played Mornington Crescents in another 6 (unless we've reached the theoretical limit of Mornington Crescents played?)

Proposing:

Vintage & Modern Rules MC
Game with Hazards in every station.
Anyone forced Inside The Bounds is required to take the nearest playable line, usually Waterloo & City. Lava hazards are a danger and will incur a dropped turn, so look out when you're passing lava.
Blocking the passages of an opponent doesn't allow you to Stymie them.
3rd orthogonal shunts not allowed to be played to win the game (out of play are fine)

But, I proposed the last one, I think it's time to go for one proposed by someone else.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

I would like to try the islandic variation of the arabic rules, as I have heard good things about that. But I've never been able to find a complete ruleset because Top Secrecy is enabled.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

We can play a partial rules version of that (most MC play with partial rules anyway, as, all the players combined can only know a fraction of them.)

However, I don't know the win condition of that, is the winner the first reaching Mornington Crescent? (I assume the arabic rules had arabic equivalents of London Underground.)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

The arabic ruleset is as elusive as it gets. Good luck finding a full composition. In fact, there's nothing even close to half of the rules released in the English speaking world. I've looked for a long time.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:07 am UTC

Well, I got my copy of Arabian Nights MC Ruleset, and it seems to be easily available (for users of the Multiversalis mod, just search for ANMC in the box and it should be the third one on the list, after Archbishop+kNight Mornington Chess and Alachran's Neo MC Ruleset.)

Though it doesn't have anything to do with the arabic ruleset, and each station seems to have a Jinn (but the rules never specify what the heck a Jinn is or does :? - apparently it's for people already used to Djinn Mornington Crescent but I can't find that one anywhere...)

Starting new games used to be easier :x

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm UTC

Camden Town

You can always just make a move and see what happens.

Return to “Forum Games”