Reconstruction - Chapter 1 - The Boiling Hell

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Reconstruction - Chapter 1 - The Boiling Hell

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Friday, April 13th, 1866

Savannah, Georgia
Population ~ 30,000

The Boiling Hell had been landed for four days now. Four intolerable, unconscionable days. Commander 'Bolt' de Grasse stood, hunched over the main pilot's chair, fists resting on the unfamiliar bronze knobs and toggles, breathing like a horse that had just crossed the finish line. He loved Georgia, of course (what man couldn't?) but he'd never been able to tolerate the humidity, with the blasted Ocean right there. It was like living in a swamp, except in a swamp you knew it would be better at night!

Four days, and still nothing to make taking off worth their while. He had paying passengers, of course, but they were long-term, and although they paid reasonably well, three passengers was NOT covering the expenses. Bloody Sue had promised to have SOMETHING glorious and valuable before mid-week, and now on the fourth day he knew she'd been out since before dawn, lest she feel the lashing of his tongue again. Or worse.

He growled, spun, and stormed out of the cockpit. "LINK!" he bellowed. "FUEL STORES! What's our range, man?!"

Professor Cordon sighed in his quarters, hearing the Commander roaring again. "He's started early," he mumbled. Moreau chittered agreement from the bureau.

The two pilots were just waking up, and heading out of their respective quarters. Now that they were well and landed, they'd both gotten used to sleeping at night andbeing awake during the day, instead of constantly switching shifts to keep the Boiling Hell aloft all day and night.

<TAG - everyone!>

DeLinkDeSecond

Re: Reconstruction - Chapter 1 - The Boiling Hell

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

The notebook jumped from Derik’s hands, as if the captain had willed it to. “We are doing-” Derik fumbled, he had not expected an outburst from the captain at this time. He took a quick glance at the fuel economy and quickly replied ,“We are doing good!”

Derik then scribbled a personal note onto his pad: Note, expect an outburst from captain at ANY time. He then shoved the notepad into one his pockets. He then decided to actually take a good look at the fuel range. They were doing fine.

Derik took note of the ship’s stasis, laid his left hand on his head and sighed. He then noticed he was missing a crucial part of clothing! He took out the notebook and made yet another note:
Buy headwear at next stop.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Last edited by DeLinkDeSecond on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 am UTC

I'm just watching, and waiting...

Mu hu hu ha ha ha haaa

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Timothy awoke to the not-faint-enough voice of his captain. He sat up and was still for a minute, still getting used to the muggy Georgia air again. Sometimes it was a little odd to him, this moist air filling his lungs. He went over to his clothing, put on his shirt, vest, and pants over his undergarments, rolled up his sleeves, then went back over to his bed to retrieve his pocket-watch. The watch clinked when he picked it up, the chain hitting the brass casing. He tucked it into his vest pocket, the patted it twice as a sort of good luck ritual. He slid his goggles on over his head, then let them hang off of his neck. It was quite ridiculous, he thought, to wear them over his eyes all day. He then picked up his hat and stared at it for a moment as if waxing nostalgic. Letting out a sigh, he brushed what little dust there was on it off and pulled it onto his head. He went to the entrance to his quarters, pulled the hatch open, and climbed the ladder, popping out right as Bolt stormed past. He went the opposite direction to the cockpit to get away from the spontaneous frustration of his captain and to run through various flight procedures.

Sitting himself down in the chair, he pulled his goggles on over his eyes. He then went to work, being careful not to actually flip any switches or pull any levers.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Smiling, as always, Mr. Wilson hopped out of his room (if it was large enough to be called a room), just in time to see the captain storm by. "Whoo boy, what's wrong with him?" he said to himself, rather loudly but in a generally happy tone. He strolled down into the dining hall, humming the Scherzo to Beethoven's 9th Symphony as he walked. He sat down at a table, and pulled out a newly-bound school textbook, simply titled "Rhetoric", and began to read, waiting for someone to come keep him company.
yeah yeah yeah

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:46 am UTC

David Moore groaned as someone bellowed off in the ship. He peeled open an eyelid and glanced at his watch. Time to get up anyway.

He sat up, rubbing his hair, and yawning. He tapped a little rhythm on the bunk railing with the metal fingers of his right hand, enjoying the tinking sounds as he thought. Finally, he dressed in respectable street clothes and stalked out of the room, and headed for the dining room. He took care to lock his quarters behind him; there were a fair number of school supplies and other valuables in there.

'Mornin,'" he said to Mr. Wilson, as he entered the galley and poured himself some coffee.

OOC: I assume there are coffee makers in this story. ;)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 am UTC

Felicity had just finished her quiet ritual of dressing herself when she heard the faint thump across the hall that signaled her fellow pilot Timothy had rejoined the waking world. After a few fainter clinks and clanks, she heard the definitive open and shut of the hatch as he darted off to the cockpit for his morning check.

Slowly, she pulled on a light leather jacket that she'd traded a few weeks ago for one of her better hats, and ran a hand over her hair, trying not to envision its state of disarray. The humidity and her deplorable lack of supplies were not doing it any favors, and keeping it pulled back behind her goggles seemed the best course. She had been on the Boiling Hell for three days now. Though they'd yet to leave the ground in Savannah, she felt like she had entered another world already. It was noisy and dark and filled with people she did not know, but it also had the promise of soon allowing her to actually pilot a Firefly on her own merit. Timothy was more experienced than she, and it was worth her while to learn from him while she still could, before they began trading hours to keep the Firefly steady through all hours. The prospect of working all night, when decent people were tucked away in bed, made her more than a little uneasy. She tapped her secondhand goggles once, just for luck.

Silently she left her room and climbed through the same hatch at the end of the hall, hesitating as she heard the sound of boots stomping loudly overhead. Opening a hatch on the captain's toes was probably one of the many ways to make him even more irate than he already was. After the sound of feet (and shouting) had faded slightly, she clambered out into the hallway and followed Timothy's shadow towards the cockpit. Maybe she'd actually get to fly this mad contraption out of here today.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Check fuel gauge, increase thrust, hard left while engaging brake... He created situations in his head, from high-intesity combat to almost-imminent collision. He imagined them so vividly that he could almost see them play out on the scenery in front of him, like one of those moving picture machines he remembers playing with as a child.

Through the squeaking of the chair rotating this way and that as he danced his hands across the controls, Timothy sensed a new presence behind him. He took a quick mental note of where he was in his process and turned to see who it was. Noticing it was Felicity, he promptly rose out of his chair. It would be rude not to when a lady enters the room. He removed his hat, lowered his goggles, and stepped to the side, gesturing for her to take the chair.

"Oh, no, thank you," she said, waving her hand as if to ward off a small gnat. He noticed some uneasiness in her voice, almost as if she was intimidated to 'pilot' with him watching her every move.

He again gestured to the chair. "Please, I insist."
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

"No, I'm serious, I can't eat another bite. But thanks anyway Aunt Em".
Sue pushed back her plate. She was quite full, and that was good. Nearly 8 months on Boiling Hell taught her to appreciate a good old fashioned home cooked meal.
"What about your boyfriend hon? He looks like he could use another helping. Strapping young man like him". Aunt Em smiled and pushed another rack of bacon at Lukas. To his credit he took the offered food with a slight smile, and even offered up a curt "Thank you", followed by something muttered under his breath in German. He had already eaten four helpings, and winced only slightly at being called Sue's boyfriend.
Sue sighed, "I told you Aunt Em, he's just a colleague. My boss doesn't want me about unchaperoned".
"Sure he doesn't. Just what is it you do these days"?
Sue was a little taken back by that. "Uh, I... uh...." she looked at Lukas helplessly. He just shrugged and raised his eyebrows.
Sue thought fast, "I'm, uh, helping to stock a luxury liner for a long voyage."
"Oh, I see. Still up to your no good shenanigans. Well, I heard that old Red Hand Pete is trying to get rid of some contraband."
Sue perked up at this."Petey's in town? Where can I find him?"
Aunt Em smiled. "He's down at the Dirty Dog. At this time o' the mornin' if he aint passed out in the common room you'll find him in one of the whore's cribs upstairs."
Sue jumped up, kissed her aunt on the cheek and said "Thanks a lot for breakfast!"
"It was nothin' at least I got a chance to see you again. Send my regards to your Ma if ya see her!" Aunt Em called after her niece as Sue dragged Lukas away from the table.
"Thank you for everything madam" he said, his mouth half full.
"Sure thing sweety" she said and pressed a little sack in his hands.
He looked inside and saw a cured ham and two roast chickens. He looked up at her astonished.
"You just take care of her now. Y'hear?"
Lukas nodded and ran off after Sue who was already halfway down the lane and still picking up speed.
Last edited by Max2009 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

With his longer legs, Lukas was quickly able to catch up with Sue and stretch out his hand, gripping her shoulder and bringing her to a stop.
"You have some odd relatives," he said, as she caught her breath. "...but do you not think that it would be prudent to bring this sack of meats your aunt gave me back to the ship before running off again? I would prefer to have my hands free, and it does not strike me as a good idea to be carrying them around all day, anyways. Perhaps we should just sell them, and continue on?"

Lukas spoke in a German accent that was not so thick that it impeded understanding, but not so light that it was difficult to tell what his first language was. Like most people who learned English as a second language, he generally used almost impeccable grammar with few contractions while speaking, although he had a relatively small vocabulary.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Sue turned and stared at him.
"My Aunt Em gave you a sack of meats? What's in it? Lemme see!"
She snatched the sack and stuck her whole face in, inhaling the warm scent of roast chicken mingling with the cured ham.
"Ahhh, I love that woman. She knows how tough the rations can get onboard. We're not selling that, we need it. It's essential to our survival. But we also need to find Petey. If you want, you can take that back to the ship, or keep carrying it. But if you really want your hands free, and I don't know why you should, then go bring it back to the ship. And mind you, lock it up so nobody can steal it. Come meet me at the Dirty Dog, it's the slum across from the nice inn."
And with that Sue continued on towards Main Street.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Lukas felt uneasy disobeying the captain and leaving Sue alone while he went back to the ship, especially when she was about to enter what she had described as a 'slum'. However, he convinced himself that the ship wasn't a long distance away, and he would be able to get back soon enough. He set off at a light jog, hopeing that the captain wouldn't be angry with him when he got back.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Sue continued undaunted towards the Dirty Dog.
She walked up to it just as the slop boy was starting to sweep up. Judging by the amount of bottle shards outside, last night was rowdy.
She pushed open the doors, walked in and looked around.
The common room was largish, taking up most of the first floor of the building, with just the kitchen in the back. There were about a dozen tables and seven comatose barflies in the room. Sue began a circuitous path that led her around overturned tables and chairs, passing by each downed customer before making it to the bar and avoiding the occasional puddle of vomit.
As she came to each recumbent patron she would examine him closely. Her hands gently brushed their jackets and pants as if wiping dirt off them. She would also turn their faces or lift their hats to see if any of them happened to be Petey. None of them were.
"Well," Sue said to herself, "He's not so desperate that he can't afford to spend the night upstairs".
Sue walked up to the bar and rang the bell, hoping Lukas would dally just a little longer, she didn't want him hanging around while she talked to the barman.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Derik sat back in the engine room, reading a novel about a primitive world that did not have today’s technology until about a century and a half later, which caused downfall. As he finished the chapter he put the book down and checked the ship’s status.

Then, Derik felt someone….or something was watching…waiting. He ruled out this presence of being paranoia, and put a hand on his pistol. He quickly walked out of his room, and was greeted by Wilson. “Hello Link!” Fred said, and Derik gave back a friendly gesture, as he headed out the ship.

There was no-one outside. Derik scanned the horizon. No spies, rouges, or even a petty bandit trying to peel a chunk of metal off the ship. Derik sighed and sat down, realizing how hot Georgia was today. Well, he knew there wouldn’t be a day any time soon Savannah wouldn’t be hot.

He realized the reason he suspected someone was watching, was that he was bored. Though, he didn’t want to leave the Boiling Hell. He didn’t want to leave the ship and have to face another “talk” with the captain. He vaguely remembered the what happened the last time he messed up. It had been a rant that had something to do with the weather, fighting, “real men”, his job as an engineer, homosexuals, and dogs.

Derik then realized that he had never been outside the Boiling Hell for more than 6 hours total since he started this job, (Was it about, he didn’t know, a week since he started?“) and Sue and Lukas were gone, and they were just important as he was. Well, unless someone were to strap a bomb on the engine, the captain could handle himself. He proceeded back to his quarters, posted a note on the wall giving information about the ship’s status, and went outside.

Where was he to go? Well the city was big, and there had to be some metal somewhere. Then he could keep working on his “machine o’ war.” Toolbox in hand, he walked towards the bustling part of town.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

David knew Georgia. He had lived here for most of his life, even if a good chunk of that had been spent as a slave. Being here brought back many memories from the war, but this particular town reminded him of a scientist he had saved, the very one who had gifted him with his mechanical arm.

"It'll be good to get movin' again," he said, gazing out the window at the sultry landscape. He looked at Mr. Wilson, noticing the textbook he was reading. "So, you a teacher?" he asked.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

The barman walked up wiping something with an unspeakable cloth. He was muttering under his breath about "decent folks" and "ungodly time o' day". But when he saw Sue he smiled.
"Well, hello there little lady! And good mornin' to ya."
"Jeremiah, you know full well I am as far from a lady as can get without having a dingus. And as for little, was that a crack at my height?"
"No ma'am. I aint gonna make that mistake again. No siree Bob. C'mere." And he leaned across the bar and pecked Sue on the cheek. She pretended to blush and bat her eyelids at him.
Jeremiah was in his forties and spreading. He began adulthood as a strong young man, built like an ox. Over the years the muscle had shifted and spread out a little, softening as it went to his stomach. Now he wore a huge apron over it, proudly displaying a fine sample of every meal served at his establishment in the past 5 years.
"What can I do you for this fine mornin'?"
"Well, it's a little early for a drink, but you might be able to help me. I'm looking for an old friend of mine, I heard he was staying here".
"You have old friends? get outta here girl!" And he laughed uproariously. Sue just smiled but didn't laugh.
"You must mean Red Hand Pete. Yeah, I heard he was around, but I can't quite remember where he was staying." He didn't look at her as he said this.
"Aw, Jeremiah, you should be ashamed of yourself. Taking advantage of a lady like this!" She scolded him.
"Ah thought you weren't a lady." He said, now looking her in the eye.
She smiled at him. "Oh very well, since I'm in a good mood this morning." She reached into her pocket, pulled out a coin and pressed it into his hand.
He examined it. "This here is some mighty fine silver. Where'd you get it, may I ask?"
"I'm not sure, I must've picked it up somewhere." She said, waving her hand vaguely, and in the general direction of a certain slumped figure in the corner.
Jeremiah burst out laughing again, this time Sue joined him.
"I shoulda known" he said, holding his ample belly as it jiggled along with him. "Here, it's mighty hot out, be it early or no" and he drew her a cool glass of beer from the tap under the bar.
She thanked him and handed him another coin, this one bronze. She took a deep gulp and nodded approvingly. "Your beer's as good as ever. Now, I'm looking for Pete. I heard he might have something of interest for me..."
"Oh, that he does, missy. Why, just t'other day he was a'tellin me how he had this wonderful package, only nobody wanted to take delivery for it. 'You mark my words' I says to 'im 'You need to find good 'ol Sue, she'll take delivery' and sure fine if you don't show up right the next day. How 'about that?" and he chuckled some more.
Now Sue was very intrigued by this. Red Hand Pete was well know for selling cheap crap in a fancy wrapping. But Jeremiah was no fool, and if he knew what Pete had to offer, and thought Sue might be willing to take care of it... well! It might be something worthwhile.
"So, where is he?"
"He's up in Polly's room. I'm surprised he could afford her, but he's been doin' mighty well for hisself recently. Yup, that he is."
"Great. Thanks." Sue was eager to go, but had one last matter to deal with.
"A friend of mine will come in soon. Tall fellow, scary looking. Get him a drink and sit him down here by the bar. Don't let him come up unless the thumping gets really bad up there. Here." She passed him another coin, downed the rest of her beer and started for the stairs.
He pocketed the coin and called after her "Hey, that's alright then. Have a good time! Ya hear? Polly's is the third on the left! Come say goodbye afore you leave!" But Sue was already halfway up the stairs, now desperately curious to know just what Petey had to offer.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Spotting a tree on his way to the city, Derik decided to get a little exercise. He did a few laps around the tree, and decided to test his strength and then move on. He landed a blow on the tree, which left a mark on the wood. “Just a couple more shots” Derik murmured to himself. The tree fell within Derik’s next combination attack.

On his way back to the city, Derik spotted Lukas jogging in the opposite direction. Derik thought, Hmm, he isn't guarding Sue today. Well, that's none of my business!
Last edited by DeLinkDeSecond on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

As Lukas continued on his route towards the ship, he vaguely noticed Derek, who appeared to be in the act of punching a tree. He was in a hurry though, and had no time to stop for idle chatter, nor to reprimand Derek for leaving his post. It would be rather hypocritical of him at that point, anyways, considering he was supposed to be with Sue at that moment. Just then, however, a thought occurred to him. He stopped, and turned around, yelling "Hey! Link!" He ran up to the man, and without waiting for a response, continued, "I'm supposed to be with Sue right now. Her aunt gave us this bag of meats earlier, can you take it back to the ship?"
Lukas pressed the bag into Derek's hands, and started walking briskly back towards Main street.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Derik was surprised at the sudden situation. He decided to finish up his exercise by sprinting. He sped back to the ship, and placed the meat on the kitchen table, and ran back outside to his last position. Damn….I….just got to…..carry…all….this……junk…. He thought while panting.

Derik then decided to go into town, yet again. He realized he had forgotten his water bottle. He prayed to the gods that he would find a tavern or something of the like soon enough.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

To Lukas' surprise, Derek accepted the bag without an questions or objections, and just went sprinting off. He had expected at least to be asked to explain the situation a little more, but this suited him well. As he continued on towards the tavern where Sue had told him to go, he wondered whether she had found this "red-handed Peter" of hers yet, and just what exactly he planned on selling to them.
A short walk later, Lukas reached the Dirty Dog, and it immediately struck him as the kind of place that he would not want to be in. It was shabby and run down, and there was evidence of a fight outside the front door. Cautiously, he opened the door and stepped inside, his hand clasped tightly around the hilt of his knife. Once inside, he sized up the place. It didn't look much better on the inside than out.There were several table arranged haphazardly around the room, quite a few of which were overturned. Of those that weren't, most of them were occupied by bar patrons who were passed out cold, and indeed the only person other than Lukas in the room appeared to be the bartender. The whole place stank of stale beer, whiskey, tobacco smoke, and vomit. The source of the last of these was unpleasantly evident, lying in pools all around the floor, generally in close proximity to the unconscious bar patrons. The place was simplistically built; there were only two doors leading off of the main room, one of which lead to the kitchen, and the other presumable to the upper floor. There was no sign of Sue.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

"Oh... Thank you." After a small curtsy out of habit (one that she should probably curb), Felicity sat down carefully in the pilot's chair at Timothy's insistence, praying she wouldn't accidentally violate some unspoken code or another. He just seemed so knowledgeable that it was more than a little intimidating to be his partner and equally accountable for the running of the Boiling Hell. But she couldn't restrain a small smile from spotting him staring at the controls like a boy just given a toy on Christmas. Under his serious exterior lay something of a child in a candy store, it appeared.

Felicity knew the feeling, and it came back to her stronger than ever as she gently ran her fingers along the control panels in front of her. She longed to bring the engines to life and take the ship far, far away from this Savannah airstrip, which was far too close to where she'd left Vance and whatever passenger he was flirting with by now. She wondered if he had left Savannah yet, hoping fervently that their paths would not cross again.

She realized with a start that Timothy still stood beside her while she was lost in thought. She barely knew her fellow pilot. Turning to him, she asked "Timothy... How long have you been with the Boiling Hell, exactly?"
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

“Woo-ee!” exclaimed Derik as he was at the steps of the Dirty Dog. Hoping the tavern had at least half-descent alcohol, he was going to be happy. However, the stench that collided with his nostrils forced him to step outside. The place had a horrible odor. Hopefully, this isn’t the towns main water hole Derik thought to himself.

Derik decided to later buy bottled water from a vendor. He drank it quickly, and thought of the next thing to do. He wandered around, hoping to see a store for some engineering tools or metal. He didn’t feel like today was a day where he wanted to ask a townsperson where anything was.

Derik walked back to the Dirty Dog, and even though the place had a bad stench, talking with a bartender is good way to know about a town. As he stepped in, he was very surprised to see Lukas.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

At hearing the bar door open, Jeremiah looked up from glass that he was "washing" with a dirty rag, and saw a tall man with brown hair standing silently in the doorway, gazing around the room.
"Hey!" He called out, "are you that 'scary looking fellow' who works with Sue?"
"Well, I don't really think of myself as scary, but yes, I do work with Sue. Is she here at the moment?"
"Yeah, she's upstairs talking to Pete."
Lukas glanced uneasily up at the ceiling. "Uh, maybe I should go up and check on-"
"Nah, there's no need for that." Interjected Jeremiah. "She gave me specific instructions that you weren't to disturb her. Now just sit down here and have a beer."
"Very well" came the reluctant reply.
Lukas took a seat at the far end of the bar, with his back to the wall, and sipped at his beer. e almost immediately spat it out. Being from Germany, he was used to high quality beer, and as a result had very high standards, which this cheap stuff simply did not even come close to meeting. Instead of spitting, however, Lukas kept his manners and managed to swallow the stuff, resolving to not drink any more and wash out his mouth the next opportunity he got.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Sue stood outside the third door on the left. She pressed her ear against the stained wood of the door and could hear some very loud and nasal snoring, and another softer, but still not ladylike snoring. Sue grinned to herself. This was going to be fun!
She took off her cap and shook out her ponytail. Then she unbuttoned most of the buttons on her shirt displaying a smooth, flat belly and not much bust. She looked down at herself and sighed. There were times, albeit few and far between, but there were times when she wished she were a little more endowed in the chest department. But, there was nothing to do about it, it'll have to do.
Taking a deep breath she flung open the door so hard it slammed against the wall and she stomped in.
"PETER!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, "How could you do this to me? And with a common whore!" She spat out that last word as if it burned her tongue.
The two occupants of the room sat bolt upright simultaneously. It was almost comical and Sue had to struggle to keep a straight face. For the effect she strode up and slapped Peter across the face before he knew what was going on.
Polly, on the other hand, had been in this type of situation before. Quick as a weasel she was out of the bed and running out the door and down the hall so fast Sue hardly got a glimpse of her bare bum. Sue ignored her and focused her attention on Peter who was slowly waking up to the fact that there was a woman in the room, and it wasn't the woman he had gone to bed with. Furthermore, this woman was fully clothed and clearly enjoying the view offered now that Polly had thrown the sheet back.
Peter blushed and pulled the sheets around him.
"Su...Sue" He stammered, "What are you doing here?"
Sue smiled, sat down on the room's only chair and crossed her legs. "I hear you have a package looking for an address?"

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Derik noticed that Lukas was holding a conversation with the bartender. Derik noticed he had caught the attention of the bartender when his conversation with Lukas had come to a close. Sitting adjacent to Lukas, Derik asked the bartender for a beer, and the bartender then poured Derik a half-pint of the drink.

Before Lukas could say anything, Derik said, “Listen. I’m not here tailing you or Sue. I’m just trying to find out where I could go to get some resources."

Derik took a swig of the beer, and spat out onto the floor. “The taste is a bit….strong” Derik declared to the bartender, knowing his attempt at not being rude was futile. Though, the alcohol was not the reason Derik came here. He waited for the bartender to start a conversation with him. However, he was a bit concerned with the yelling coming from above.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Just after his ordeal with the beer, Lukas heard a door slam upstairs, followed by muffled yelling, which sounded somewhat like Sue. Just as he was about to leap to his feet, Derek sat down next to him. Cursing himself for not having seen or heard the approach of such a large man, Lukas politely waited for Derek to order his beer and strike up a conversation. But before he had said very much, Derek was forced to succumb to the urge that Lukas had resisted, and spat the beer onto the floor.
"I'm sorry, I do not know this town very well." Lukas replied to Derek's question. "I cannot help you with finding supplies, you may ant to ask one of the locals. Now if you will excuse me, I want to go see what is happening upstairs." He slipped off while Jeremiah was still arguing with Derek about the beer, and ascended the staircase. The upper floor of the establishment was slightly more classy than the bar below, or at least it tried to be, though not with much success. There was peeling, faded wallpaper adorning the walls, which were quite thin. Thin enough, indeed, to hear the light snoring of the patrons. All that was visible on this level was a long hallway in which Lukas was standing, with doors leading off to both sides. The only one of these doors which was open was the one which he could hear voices coming out of, one of which he recognized as Sue's. The yelling had subsided somewhat now, and Lukas knew that Sue would be angry if he walked in while she was in the middle of the business deal, so he simply stood sentry at the top of the stairs and listened.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

frogman

Postby frogman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Fred looked over at David. "No, I'm not a teacher. I never was so good at explainin' things. I sell them textbooks, that's why I'm on this trip! What about yerself? Looking for somethin'? Off to seek your fortune?"

He popped a piece of the flapjack he had been eating into his mouth.
yeah yeah yeah

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

"H.. How did you hear about that?" Peter stammered, he still wasn't tracking properly.
"Never mind that, you and I both know that if you're in some kind of trouble with a package, I can take care of it for you, no worries". Sue was enjoying this. Not only was Peter at a disadvantage, he was off balance and he didn't know it. If she played this right, she could end up very rich.
"Um, Ok, I'll tell you about it, but lemme get dressed first."
"By all means, go right ahead." Sue laced her hands behind her head and leaned back. When it became clear that she wasn't getting up Peter coughed nervously and said "Um, are you gonna leave?" Sue was happy to hear a rather pleading tone had entered his voice.
"Nope. I'm gonna sit right here." And for emphasis she uncrossed her legs and recrossed them.
Peter looked downcast. He stared down at his thin, hairy chest and to the sheets puddled in his lap. He sighed.
"C'mon Petey, it's not anything I haven't seen before. Unless you got something else down there..." She added hopefully.
"Don't call me that!" He snapped at her "We were finished a long time ago. I just... feel uncomfortable having a woman watch me get dressed."
"Oh," Sue retorted, "You'd rather it be t'other way around. A man watching a woman getting undressed." Peter winced, but then he caught the glint in Sue's eye and mentally kicked himself. He knew she was sharp, he was usually just as sharp but she'd caught him off guard. He resolved then to focus and try not to let her walk away shirtless from this deal. The thing was, he was shirtless going into this deal.
Sue saw him straighten up a little and started to talk business. "So, what did you steal from who?"
Peter's jaw dropped, despite his resolve. "How did you...? Who said I...?"
"Nobody, it was a lucky guess. Now, what from who?"
Peter took a deep breath and let it out, he saw that he was going to lose miserably here, but better to lose some money than his life.
"A crate of medicines from the LDS."

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

The argument between Derik and the bartender did not exactly go well. You see, during the conflict , Derik had noticed that he had left his toolbox back on the ship during his meat-trip, and did not have his wrench on hand. When the bartender had threatened him, Derik chose to not pull out his pistol, but instead lifted a vacant table over his head. The bartender had a surprised look on his face, but not a scared one, as if he had experienced these types of situations before. Derik then caught his senses.
“Look, I’m sorry about the drink. And I shouldn‘t have spat it out. Maybe we started this on the wrong foot.” Derik said to the bartender. “I’m Derik.”
“Well, I’m Jeremiah” replied the bartender.
After placing the table in it’s original spot, Derik figured out that the only reason that Lukas was in this bar was that Sue was somewhere. Though, he wanted to get down to business. “So, you know where I can find some engineering devices around here?” Jeremiah responded, “Well, there is a good store for those kind’a of things, but it ain’t open today.” Derik let out a sigh. He then said goodbye to the bartender, and gave him some money that was worth around four drinks. (To hope that it would let the bar forget about their little fight. ) Though, Derik still wondered why the bartender hadn’t questioned him about picking up the table as he headed back to the Boiling Hell.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

Sue shot forward in her chair and nearly fell out. "You stole a crate of medicine form the LDS?! What were you thinking?! They'll be all over you like flies on a cow plop".
"Well, not exactly. See, the crate was my cut." Peter started twisting the sheets around in his fingers as he talked. He was in a real mess this time, but with any luck Sue could get him out of it, and with a lot of luck it won't cost him too much.
"See, Dirty Harry approached me back in January. He had some shipping information that belonged to the LDS. He said we could "waylay" one of the trucks and take off with what was inside. I'm not the brains of this one, just hired muscle. The crate was my cut, five percent. That's why I don't think they're gonna come after me, it's just one crate outta twenty. They'll go after Dirty Harry, he got fifteen crates!"
Sue relaxed, a little. Selling LDS medicine was tricky. You can't sell it to anybody in the League, they know it's contraband and will wait for you at the drop-off point with some tin men. You can't sell it to anybody not in the League because, well, there isn't anybody like that. Only a doctor would pay for that much medicine, and any doctor not in the League couldn't afford it. And would also be dead soon. Sure private people needed medicine, and not all of them could afford to go to a League doctor, but you couldn't get rid of an entire crate fast enough. Word would get out and you'd have the league, and local authorities all over you. But Sue just might be able to offload a crate of LDS medicine, it was just a matter of knowing the right people, and getting it off Pete for as little as possible.
"Weeelllll, I think I might be able to find a buyer for that" Sue opened negotiations.
"Great. I'll let you have it for seventy five percent of the proceeds, cash up front. That's $60,000." Pete folded his arms over his chest.
Sue laughed. "You think somebody will pay me $80,000 for a crate of medicine? And you think I'll front you the cash. Sweety, I think I should be leaving." Sue got up as if to leave.
"No! That was just my opening offer. Fifty-fifty?"
Sue didn't like the idea of Pete running the haggling, so she decided to make an offer of her own. "I'm not gonna front you that much cash, no matter how long it's been. Anyway, all I got on me is...." Sue rummaged through her pockets, reached into her bra and said "$42.17 Sorry, that's all I'm prepared to offer now."
Pete looked disappointed, he knew she wasn't bluffing about that, Sue never carried any cash with her. Whatever she just pulled out must have "fallen in there" quite recently. But he didn't feel disappointed, he knew Sue would have a good counter-offer.
"Wait!" Sue said, as if remembering, "I have this very nice ruby ring..." and she produced it with a flourish. It was in fact a very ugly ring. The ruby was a brutish square-cut, set in a grimy gold ring. The setting was a little loose but the ruby was genuine, at least, it looked genuine. And there was a little crest etched into the stone. "It's probably worth $20,000".
Peter squinted at the ring, he couldn't see it well but it looked a little familiar. He started to get up, then remembered his nakedness. "Could you... thanks." Sue brought the ring over, showing it to him, keeping a firm grip on it the whole time.
Peter leaned in to scrutinize the etching then pulled back sharply. "That's Hank Morrison's ring! He's the mayor's nephew! He's got the sheriff in his back pocket! Why, if he finds you with that ring he'll flay you alive!"
"Well, he must have lost it. It's a good thing I found it for him, he must be missing it dearly." Sue walked over to where Peter's clothes were piled on the floor. She bent down and rummaged through them. Peter wasn't worried, "There's nothing of value there" he said.
"Yet." she said, "There's nothing here of value yet. I think I know this Hank, saw him sleeping down at the bar. He'd be glad to hear I found this here ring." She looked up at him, a triumphant smile on her face.
"You wouldn't dare" he said, but he knew full well that she would. He'd been screwed, but if he played the wuss he might get those forty two bucks at least.
Sue just smiled and stood up.
"Fine." He grumbled. "Cheat a man out of his hard-earned money. That's all your are, a lying cheat, and a blackmailer too." He folded his arms and turned away.
"Aww, Petey, don't be such a sore loser." She bounded over to him and took his arm, he shook her off. "You know I'm a lying cheat, that's why you deal with me. I'll tell you what. Here's $40. Because we're old friends." She pressed the money into his hands. "Now, where's the crate?"
He looked at the money, there was actually closer to $60 there, he knew she'd been lying. Anyway, he didn't do too much work. Just a carefully applied wrench to some guy's head and that was it. That was surely worth $60. Plus, now he didn't have to worry about it.
"Sure. It's in the storeroom of the general store around the corner. He's closed today but I know where to hit the door to get it open. Now get out and let me get dressed in peace." And with that he stood up, letting the sheet fall to the floor.
Sue looked at him, her eyes widened a little, then she shrugged and said "Ok, don't take too long. I'll be out in the hallway. Oh, you might want to wash up a bit, there's some kind of crap stuck between your legs."
He shook his fist at her and muttered but she was already leaving. Once the door was closed he looked down "Some kind of crap. Yeah right. She misses me" he chuckled and began to get dressed.
Sue walked out and saw Lukas. She bounded up to him and gave him a big hug.
"Great news! We have a job!" Then she pulled his head down to her level and whispered "Listen, when Petey comes out I'll introduce you, then we'll go get the goods and head back to the ship. But whatever you do, don't stare at his hand. His right hand is all red. It's a birth mark, not a disease or injury. He's sensitive about it. If he offers just shake his hand but don't say anything about it you got that?"
She looked at him, then started to button her shirt. "And stop staring, it's rude."
Last edited by Max2009 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Lukas waited at the top of the stairs for a little while, half focusing on the sounds of conversation coming from the room Sue was in, and half focusing on the sound of Derek, on the floor below him. Despite the fact that Sue was significantly closer to him, The ruckus caused by Derek was far more distinct, due in part to the slightly raised voices, and in part simply to the fact that Derek was just plain huge. At one point, Lukas thought he heard Derek lifting something and forcefully putting it back down a moment later. At this point, Lukas ran down to the landing to see what was going on, not because he was worried for Derek's safety, but because he wanted to make sure that the man didn't screw anything up. However, the scene he observed contained no visible blood or wreckage that hadn't been there when he came in, and there weren't any discernible cries of pain apart from those issuing from the men who were suffering from hangovers, so he ascended the stairs again. He had only just taken his position at the top of them again when Sue came out of the room and ran up and hugged him, stating that they now had a job. She then went on to explain that this friend of hers, Peter, had a birthmark on his hand that should ultimately be ignored. However, Lukas on really registered about half of this information, being somewhat preoccupied by the fact that Sue's shirt was partially unbuttoned.
Shortly, Pete emerged from the room, fully clothed and looking slightly abashed. Lukas briefly wondered where Sue had met this man, but before he could ask her, Pete interrupted his thought process.
"Hey, who's this guy?"
"Hello, Herr Peter," Said Lukas, extending his hand in greeting, "Sue has told me that you may be able to provide work for us."
Pete ignored Lukas' proffered hand, and addressed himself to Sue. "What, so is this the latest guy you've managed to ensnare in your female tentacles? You've got him wrapped around your little finger by now, I bet." His voice sounded accusatory, and maybe even slightly hurt.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Derik was just about to head back to the boiling hell, when he heard a loud yell from the Dirty Dog. He knew that Lukas and Sue were up their, and decided that the most reasonable thing that could of happened, is that Sue attempted to steal from a poor fellow’s room while he was sleeping.
Derik rushed back to the Dirty Dog and ran up the steps. Before Jeremiah could ask him what he was doing, Derik yelled “I’m with Sue!” He then found Sue, Lukas, and a semi-strange looking man. They were all staring at Derik. Derik froze in his tracks, and also noticed he had taken out his pistol by reflex. He quickly shoved in one of his pockets. “Hello fellows” was all he could think of to say.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Sue rolled her eyes. "Men..." she muttered.
"Lukas, Derrik, meet Red Hand Peter. He has been gracious enough to provide us with some work. Peter, meet some of my crewmates."
And with the that Sue went downstairs to the bar.
"Jeremiah, could I trouble you for another beer? Swindling is thirsty work."
Jeremiah drew another glass from the tap and handed it to her. She gulped it down, sighed contentedly and was just wiping off the suds when the men came downstairs. The gawped at her.
"What? Aint you never seen a girl enjoy a good beer before? C'mon, lets go!"
Last edited by Max2009 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Derik said in a voice that he wasn’t sure either Sue or Jeremiah could hear, but he was positive the two men surrounding him could, “I have in fact seen a lady enjoy beer, but I ain’t never seen a lady drink down some garbage in a gulp!” As they came down the stairs, Derik spoke again.

“Damnit! Er, guys? Do you have any spare weapons or tools on hand? Since Sue is either carrying money, drugs, or weapons, we’re going to protect her, and I have a….thing with hand-held weapons.”

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:05 am UTC

"I have never heard of a weapon that you do not hold in your hand, be it a rifle or a knife." Responded Lukas. "What exactly do yo mean?"
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Derik knew that he would have to explain hand-held weapons to Lukas in a simplified fashion. “Guns are not handheld, because they kill with bullets, not strength. If you stab, smash, or choke your enemy with a weapon that uses strength, then it is hand-held. So do you have a stabbing or smashing weapon?”

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:14 am UTC

"I think you are confusing the term 'hand-held' with 'melee', but no matter. I am carrying three knives at the moment. I could lend on of them to you."
Lukas bent down and opened the compartment in his aluminum leg, withdrawing a knife that was about eleven inches from end to end.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Sue belched.
"Right boys. Is everybody satisfactorily armed? It's just a stroll around the corner to pick up a single crate. No big deal."
And with that she walked out. On her way out the door she stopped at the coat tree and examined a leather vest hanging there. "Say, this is kinda nice." She put it on. "Fits well too. I could use the extra pockets. Seeya around Jeremiah!" And she pushed open the doors and walked out.

DeLinkDeSecond

Postby DeLinkDeSecond » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Derik took a knife, and replied, “Well, it may be melee, but don’t be surprised if the term ‘hand-held’ comes around in this area.” He observed the knife in his hand and said, “Listen Lukas. We all have special reason to be on the Boiling Hell. You’re a great bodyguard and Sue…..well, you know about Sue. I know I am not the smartest or best engineer, and of course not the fastest, but maybe today I will show you why I am the Engineer to the Boiling Hell.”
Derik was not sure if Lukas understood him, but he would see soon enough. Derik just needed to get that out of his system. As Derik stepped outside, he heard gun blasts from far away. He shouted to Sue (and he also assumed the Peter and Lukas heard) , “That’s either practice shooting, gang violence, or our followers, so it would be best to keep your guard up know.”

Return to “Forum Games”