Pointless questions with no answers.

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Postby MFHodge » Mon May 14, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:
Froodulous wrote:Why?


Why not?

Because.


One of the nice things about Spanish is that the question words tend to answer themselves. Why / because = porque

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Mon May 14, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

Actually, why = por qué... according to freetranslation.com, anyways.
But yeah, they're pronounced exactly the same.
Doesn't that get horribly confusing, though?
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Postby MFHodge » Mon May 14, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:Actually, why = por qué... according to freetranslation.com, anyways.
But yeah, they're pronounced exactly the same.
Doesn't that get horribly confusing, though?


Not confusing at all. I think it is simplifying. It works for most of the questions, but not always as clearly. (It happens in English a lot too.)

Cuando empezamos? Cuando digo.
When do we begin? When I say so.

Como heule? Como meirda.
How does it smell? Like shit.

questionallthings wrote:Egg came first because the question never stipulated a Chicken egg. :).

Even under the stipulation that it was a chicken egg, would a new species be defined by the first speciman that is unable to mate with the parent species. Then you get into an argument about what defines a type of egg: the animal that laid it or the animal that is born from it.

I suggest that a near-chicken species lays an egg and a baby chicken is born. I would call it a "chicken" was born from a "non-chicken" egg and therefore the chicken came first. (I did change my mind half-way through this post though.)


questionallthings wrote:If the opposite of cold is hot and vice versa what is the opposite of Luke Warm?

Is it Joe Cool?

Froodulous
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Postby Froodulous » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Because.


I am so glad that someone got this right.

Either you have a sharp wit about you (sharp like a fox), or have read Terry Pratchett books. (I cannae remember which one that question is from).

Anyways...

Why do humans seem intent on blowing each other up?

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Mon May 14, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

I suggest that a near-chicken species lays an egg and a baby chicken is born. I would call it a "chicken" was born from a "non-chicken" egg and therefore the chicken came first. (I did change my mind half-way through this post though.)


I disagree! An egg that contains a chicken is identical regardless of whether it was laid by a chicken, a near chicken, or a surrogate-mother duck. And since the laying cannot always be observed, a more functionally useful determination of what "kind" of egg it is is the animal contained inside, rather than the animal that did the laying. Therefore, it is a chicken egg regardless of what laid it.

Therefore, the egg came first.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Rey
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:04 pm UTC
Location: This Space for Rent

Postby Rey » Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Patashu wrote:...What's the opposite of a tree? ...


I forget all of the proof but, a dead fish.

User avatar
The LuigiManiac
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 am UTC
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 15, 2007 5:09 am UTC

What day will the world end on?
(Note: This is doubly difficult, as not only do we not know at all when the world will end, but even if we did, it's always another day somewhere else in the world).

Kirby Cheat? (GameFAQs fad, pay no attention to this one)

Does everyone REALLY love Raymond?

What is the velocity of a coconut carrying swallow? (I hope that is how it goes, I can't remember all of it)
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

User avatar
__Kit
Posts: 1576
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 5:12 am UTC
Location: 16/M/NZ
Contact:

Postby __Kit » Tue May 15, 2007 5:27 am UTC

pc stuff?
Last edited by __Kit on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
=]

Froodulous
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Postby Froodulous » Tue May 15, 2007 7:40 am UTC

What is the velocity of a coconut carrying swallow?


African or European?

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 am UTC

Froodulous wrote:
What is the velocity of a coconut carrying swallow?


African or European?


I suppose if there was two of them...
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 15, 2007 12:55 pm UTC

What is the question to 42? (Go on, tell me!)
Where's Waldo?
How come, whenever I take sth. apart and rebuild it, it either doesn't work or I have leftover parts and it does work?
If olive oil is made out of olives, or sun flower oil is made out of sunflowers, what is baby oil made out of?
Why do people care about the chicken's reasons to cross the road?
aww man, I'd know quite a few german ones, but you lose the joke if you translate them.


and most important:

WHY AM I SITTING HERE READING THIS junk (sorry) and also post to it when I have better stuff to do?!?!?
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Postby MFHodge » Tue May 15, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
I suggest that a near-chicken species lays an egg and a baby chicken is born. I would call it a "chicken" was born from a "non-chicken" egg and therefore the chicken came first. (I did change my mind half-way through this post though.)


I disagree! An egg that contains a chicken is identical regardless of whether it was laid by a chicken, a near chicken, or a surrogate-mother duck. And since the laying cannot always be observed, a more functionally useful determination of what "kind" of egg it is is the animal contained inside, rather than the animal that did the laying. Therefore, it is a chicken egg regardless of what laid it.

Therefore, the egg came first.


I won't disagree. The rationalization that I came up with is that when the egg is first laid, there isn't a "chicken" inside it. If it isn't fertilized, is it an undefined egg? No, it's still a chicken egg.

Spaz Funbag wrote:Where's Waldo?

Waldo? He's on the first page of the thread.

Spaz Funbag wrote:How come, whenever I take sth. apart and rebuild it, it either doesn't work or I have leftover parts and it does work?

You probably took it apart because it wasn't working in the first place. If you use all the parts, maybe you are just putting it back the way you found it. I propose that you have an uncanny ability to leave out only the broken parts.

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 15, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
Spaz Funbag wrote:Where's Waldo?

Waldo? He's on the first page of the thread.

Sorry. Missed him.


VTHodge wrote:
Spaz Funbag wrote:How come, whenever I take sth. apart and rebuild it, it either doesn't work or I have leftover parts and it does work?

You probably took it apart because it wasn't working in the first place. If you use all the parts, maybe you are just putting it back the way you found it. I propose that you have an uncanny ability to leave out only the broken parts.



Wow, I have never seen it like that! Cool *egoboost*

Give me all yer poor, broken, uneducated parts! ;)

yeah right.
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Postby Narsil » Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:
Patashu wrote:Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

I already asked that. Apparently it is because the God of English loves irony.


The land upon which a parkway is built is usually designated as a state park. And how do you get your car on to your driveway? If it's small, you can just call it a parking pad. That's what mine is.
Actually a parkway is called such because it is lined with trees. Like a park.
A driveway is a drive leading up to a house. The definition does not state weather or not it's meant for parking. And at any rate, you use a garage for that.

Haha, I could do this all day.
/prick
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Froodulous
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Postby Froodulous » Tue May 15, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

Why does ghoti=fish?

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Belial » Tue May 15, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

"gh" as in "enough"

"o" as in "women"

"ti" as in "motion"

ghoti.

Pronounced "fish"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Why don't Cracker Jacks stick together? They don't at all.

User avatar
Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 3:40 am UTC
Location: Out of my mind
Contact:

Re: Pointless questions with no answers.

Postby Thunderbird4! » Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Narsil wrote:Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
-It has more to do with Latin roots rather than logic.


Isn't it Ancient Greek?

Actually I believe that it is named after the first civilization to have a phonetic alphabet, the Phoenicians.

Men/Women: Why can't we live with them and why can't we live without them?

Why are there interstate highways (2 of them) in Hawaii?

User avatar
ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 am UTC
Location: Waikiki

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Because the US defines the highways as connecting two military bases, that's all.

Why can't we be friends?

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Tue May 15, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Why can't we be friends?

I can be your friend :oops:
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 16, 2007 12:03 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Why can't we be friends?


Not @ ArchangelShrike personally, but in general answer to the question:

Because we keep spoiling each others fun with annoying answers like this one?
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Pointless questions with no answers.

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 16, 2007 12:50 am UTC

Thunderbird4! wrote:Why are there interstate highways (2 of them) in Hawaii?

They would probably complain if they didn't get their share of the federal highway budget (rightly so).

User avatar
ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 am UTC
Location: Waikiki

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed May 16, 2007 2:48 am UTC

The real point of this thread is exactly like Yahoo! Answers, or Google Research? which is that while you think that there may be no answer to the question, most likely someone does have an answer. And it has turned more into a post a question that you don't know / stupid / funny and wait for someone else to answer it and then post another question.

As to the Highways, since I live in Hawaii I can tell you why we did it: For the lulz. Srsly. Why else would one half of the population make a hubub, the other half support it wholeheartedly, and the other half sit in chairs outside of Waikiki? That and our senator is #1 at bringing home the pork. It's why we get billions of dollars for a few miles of road when we could repair all the other roads better.

Why does no one understand my obscure references to rock songs?

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:The real point of this thread is exactly like Yahoo! Answers, or Google Research? which is that while you think that there may be no answer to the question, most likely someone does have an answer. And it has turned more into a post a question that you don't know / stupid / funny and wait for someone else to answer it and then post another question.


That's not the impression I got from __Kit :?

I got the feeling that this was more to be designed to become a collection of questions that, while they are answerable, just sound funny when you read them. They don't need answers, mostly they're funnier without them.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 am UTC
Location: Waikiki

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed May 16, 2007 9:13 am UTC

Well, it has been hijacked into having double meaning... by me!

Why can't I go to sleep?

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 am UTC

Why am I a spoil-sport who doesn't want to play anymore?
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
Patashu
Answerful Bignitude
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:54 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Patashu » Wed May 16, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

Why is pikachu yellow?

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 16, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:I got the feeling that this was more to be designed to become a collection of questions that, while they are answerable, just sound funny when you read them. They don't need answers, mostly they're funnier without them.

I don't see how anyone could spend any time here and not expect exactly what they got. You have a bunch of quick-witted nerds and semi-nerds and give them what you call "unanswerable questions". Half the responses are clever/sarcastic and the rest are well-thought-out explanations.

Patashu wrote:Why is pikachu yellow?

a penchant for golden showers?

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

Great! Now you have ruined pokemon for me forever, and I can toss all my golden *shudder* pikachus adorning my bed into the trash. And not lie when saying "I'm not into pokemon"


*runs off laughing hysterically*
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Pointless questions with no answers.

Postby no-genius » Wed May 16, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?


Why isn't phonetic pronounced the way it's spellt?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
The LuigiManiac
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 am UTC
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Wed May 16, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

Can you really do the Can-Can?

What is the difference between a Banana?

Who is Candlejack, and...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Postby bigglesworth » Wed May 16, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

what's the answer to the Irish question?

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 16, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:What is the difference between a Banana?


Both legs are equally long, especially the left one.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
The LuigiManiac
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 am UTC
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:What is the difference between a Banana?


Both legs are equally long, especially the left one.


No. You messed that one up. That is the answer to canaries.
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 16, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:
DonChubby wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:What is the difference between a Banana?


Both legs are equally long, especially the left one.


No. You messed that one up. That is the answer to canaries.


I've actually only heard it for a pelican.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Oh, really. Is that so. Well, then you, too, are


WRONG!!!

It is by law, and order, and CN, only meant for canaries!

I mean, how does
a joke wrote:What is the difference between a pelican?
sound to you?

A pelican!! Come on! *shakes his head*
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
DonChubby
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Tórshavn, Føroyar

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 16, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Have mercy on me! :cry:
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

User avatar
Spaz Funbag
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm UTC
Location: Ja-Ma-Nee
Contact:

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 16, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

Yeah, you better be sorry, or I'll club you until you do so! *aggressive voice*


sadly, e-sarcasm does not work as good as its real counterpart...
The harder you try, the dumber you look

User avatar
johnnyzhong
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Postby johnnyzhong » Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

Who stole cookie from the cookie jar?
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Chicken or egg question:
-Pro-life answer- The egg is a chicken.


Return to “Forum Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests