A rule is to be judged invalid if it is inconsistent with a previous valid rule or itself; otherwise valid. If a valid rule restricts further posting too much too early in the round, it can be judged unfair and need not be followed. If no valid rules are posted for a whole day, the round ends.
The first round begins with the first rule posted.
EDIT: Meta-rules summary for clarity:
1. The game progresses in rounds. All rules are repealed between each round.
2. Anyone may post a rule in the current round.
3. A rule that is inconsistent with a previous valid rule in the same round, or with itself, is to be judged invalid. Otherwise it is to be judged valid.
4. If a rule restricts play too much too early in the round, it can be judged unfair despite being valid. Unfair rules need not be followed, although style points if you do.
5. If no valid rules are posted for 24 hours, the judge may end the round.
6. The player posting the last valid rule becomes the judge for the next round, if e wants to.
7. Valid rules are numbered [round]:[rule], e.g. 1:1 is the first rule of the first round.
8. The judge may set a theme for the new round when starting it.
10. In an Official round, the judge can give style points for rules. A valid rule may be given between -2 to 5 style points; an invalid or an unfair rule between -3 and 2 style points. These points should be awarded for clever ways of abiding restrictions, following the round's theme and general wit.
11. The judge of a round cannot receive style points in that round. If the new judge of a round is a player of Nomic 6.0, gamemastership of this sub-game should be transferred to em if e agrees.
12. At the end of a round, each poster's rules' style points are added together. Each poster that is also a participant of this sub-game has that amount of points transferred to em from this game's pool (negative points means points go to the pool, though no player's points may fall below zero due to this)