Fantasy Rules Committee

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Raptortech97

Re: Fantasy Rules Committee

Postby Raptortech97 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

I think that it means that in the story, which is told in 1st person, the rule must come from someone else.
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Professor-Lieutenant Munroe slapped me roughly. "Bah! What the hell was that, all these ridiculous stories of faceless, nameless slobs! From this point onwards, all characters in narratives and rules -- besides you, of course -- must be named. Understood?"

A weak voice escaped my lips. "Yes, but why?"

(The last RULE ended with a p. And yes, the next one has to start with 'y'.)
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

kevmus

Postby kevmus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:46 am UTC

"Yikes! Dear god, someone seems to have impregnated me! Who could be the father? Two men slept with me in the right time range, but now there is no way of knowing the identity of the father! A great idea occured to my friend Nancy, an idea that will explain my dilemma to my future baby. Every rule must now state, in its narrative, 'It is my belief that your father is ' followed by one of my baby's two possible fathers, Falaunt and Toroq"

Brief analysis of my rule:
3:1 - The first letter of a rule must be the same as the last letter of the rule posted directly before it. (Yikes starts with Y)3:2 - All rules must be narrative and in the first person. (it is)
3:3 - The third vowel of the English language, a word for oneself. Do not speak it again, whether alone or in a contraction. (it isn't)
3:4 - No powers from before must be allowed to adhere to the now! (No re-using rules from previous rounds.) (I didn't)

She's new rule: Each future rule must use a different narrator. Each future rule must also introduce a mystery of some sort. (this is clearly different, a pregnant girl is not any of the previous. The mystery is who the father could be)

Raptortech97's new rule: No hyper links allowed! (I didn't use any)
Burningled's new rule:all characters in narratives and rules -- besides you, of course -- must be named. (They are)

Next rule must start with Q.

Good luck!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:51 am UTC

"Quickly! Aim for him, as it is my belief that your father is Falaunt!" Captain Longjohnson screamed. My PSG1 sniper rifle's scope swung towards the head, guided by my hand, and my finger squeezed the trigger. The bath of crimson blood showered the area, and the Captain Longjohnson smiled.

"You know, from now on every rule should have a spectacular murder such as this. Now if only we could figure out where you got that sniper rifle from..."

(If that was too badly worded, every rule from now on must have someone murdered.)
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

kevmus

Postby kevmus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:15 am UTC

"May you die a quick, quiet death, as it is my belief that your father is Toroq" whispered Evildoer Max, as he shot Peter, who was standing next to me, with a silenced handgun. If only anyone knew why he spared me and escaped. Soon, the policemen Jack, Tom, and Avory showed up and said: "This situation could be avoided if all rules from now on involve three police officers and a dog." Suddenly, their dog, Spot, bit me.

(In case it's unclear, 3 cops and a dog must be in each story. I think it fits every rule...)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Brief Rulesummary (Primarily because I'm getting confused too. Sorry if I'm minimodding.)

3:1 - The first letter of a rule must be the same as the last letter of the rule posted directly before it.
3:2 - All rules must be narrative and in the first person.
3:3 - The third vowel of the English language, a word for oneself. Do not speak it again, whether alone or in a contraction.
3:4 - No powers from before must be allowed to adhere to the now! (No re-using rules from previous rounds.)
3:5 - Must contain a mystery and must have the rule announced by someone other than you.
3:6 - No hyperlinks.
3:7 - All characters in rule narratives must be named
3:8 - Must contain the sentence "It is my belief that your father is Falaunt/Toroq."
3:9 - Someone must be murdered in every rule.
3:10 - All stories must contain 3 cops and a dog.

---Rule---

"Every night, the drive to kill consumes me," mused Aven of the NYPD. "as it is my belief that your father is Toroq."

The shock of this struck me like a large bowling ball, and against my will, my hand angrily stabbed him to death with a large, pointy stick. As backup officers Jim and John attacked, my dog Ravenwood barked fiercely, and his foaming mouth kept him at bay. As Aven slowly withered away from his wounds, his last words were, "Every rule from now on really should contain a hundred words, on the dot. No more, no less."
-----------

(Really is about time we got one of the harder rules in here.)

kevmus

Postby kevmus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:21 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:3:1 - The first letter of a rule must be the same as the last letter of the rule posted directly before it.
3:3 - The third vowel of the English language, a word for oneself. Do not speak it again, whether alone or in a contraction.
3:4 - No powers from before must be allowed to adhere to the now! (No re-using rules from previous rounds.)
3:5 - Must contain a mystery and must have the rule announced by someone other than you.
3:7 - All characters in rule narratives must be named
3:8 - Must contain the sentence "It is my belief that your father is Falaunt/Toroq."

Dramatist Personae:
Chris - cop
Peter - cop
Lois - cop
Me - Narrator
Woof - dog
Hamlet - a dude

Scene I - A Park
Enter all characters
Peter
It is my belief that your father is Falaunt!

Chris
Shot me! Peter shot me!

Chris dies very painfully.

Me
Why did you shoot him?!

Peter's head is shot by me.

Woof
BARK!

Peter dies.

Lois
Prose makes you crazy! From now on, all rules must be plays, with dramatist personae, characters entering and exeunting, and play-like speech. Also, end with a line from Hamlet, underlined.
Exeunt all but HAMLET

</rule>

Interesting combinations I used: I had all but Hamlet exeunt as my Hamlet line, so it's okay for play-form. Also, I like the Woof barking for extra words.
I think everything fits the rules, feel free to correct me otherwise.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Oh god I am the worst judge ever. I have been busier than I had expected. JE REGRETE.

She's new narrator/mystery rule: Valid.
RaptorTech97's anti-hyperlink rule: Valid.
BurningLed's character naming rule: Valid.
kevmus' paternity rule: Valid.
BurningLed's murder rule: Valid.
kevmus' 3 cops and a dog rule: Valid.
BurningLed's drabble rule: Does that introduce a mystery? Gonna say invalid for now, unless you convince me otherwise.
kevmus' script rule: Invalid by 3:1 (and possibly 3:2. Does a play script count as narrative?)

Rules in brief:
3:1 - The first letter of a rule must be the same as the last letter of the rule posted directly before it.
3:7 - All characters (other than the narrator) must be named.

Rules in full:
Spoiler:

3:2 - Turning my head from one to the other, I looked at the father and then at the son. That boy again. Last week it was breaking the fourth wall, this
time he had built a dam blocking the narrative flow. After several hours' montage of cleaning up sub-plots we had found the little rascal hiding over by
the foreword.
"What is your decision, Elder?" asked the father.
"My decision..." I started. "Yes. It must be that way. From now on, to ensure this never happens again, all rules must be narrative and in the first person."

3:3 - "Never do that again," he said. He faced away from me, but the tremors in his body betrayed his sudden anger.
"What do you mean?" The words fell startled from my mouth, as my mind raced to discover my error.
"You can never again say that word. It is a word for the selfish, the juvenile, the weak. Hardly fit for one who creates rules for all to follow."
"What word?"
He remained silent.
"Do you not respect an Elder? If you don't tell me what it is, how can -- "
"STOP," he bellowed. "Say no more, if you value your honor. It is the word that is right now on your lips. The third vowel of the English language, a
word for oneself. Do not speak it again, whether alone or in a contraction."
He turned to face me. My eyes were surprised to find warmth in his, even amidst this strange insubordination.
My voice once more found its footing. "There is reason in your words. We are in agreement; that word shall be forbidden, in this and all future rules."
He grunted and turned away once more.
"Although, technically, that word was never spoken in my last rule."
He whirled back around. "Though an Elder, sir, you are much less clever than you think. Do not believe that the spoken quote is the only content of a
rule that my ears can hear. The narration of your mind also enters mine."
He turned away again and huddled into the dark. His son put a new log on the fire.

3:4 - Evening slowly stole upon the hut where the Elder held court. Myself and three other disciples sat captivated by him.
"Time is a single entity. The ability to change it is not a simple task, but is achievable with great powers."
His words flowed over us.
"But use of those powers must be tempered, else Darkness will prevail and that cannot be repeated."
The Elder sat for a while, allowing the words to sink to us.
"Therefore, no powers from before must be allowed to adhere to the now!" he shouts.
We sit there and chant back "Powers make Rules. Rules are Power!"
The moon slowly rose over the hut.

3:5 - The next day one of the Elders came to the school to tell us about what had happened. Of course we'd already noticed. In other works, the removal of
that word wouldn't be that bad except for writing dialogue, but in a first person narration... What did they think of? Surely they must have realised
our village would be known as the Village of Forced Rephrasing for years to come. We should just change the name to New Gadsby and be done with it.
My thoughts wandered off, completely ignoring the babbling old man. My eyes fell down on my notebook in front of me. It said:
"Each future rule must use a different narrator. Each future rule must also introduce a mystery of some sort.
-Z"

3:6 - "Zzzz," the guard snored. Finally, the big moment. My hand reached down to grab the amendment as it stole the keys on the way. It opened the door,
and my feet carried me down the corridor, where my hand placed the amendment in front of a senator. When my eyes had initially read the instructions,
they were amazed. The amendment read, "Those pesky hyper links have kept us chained down for too long! We must break free! No hyper links allowed! -Miss P."

3:7 - Professor-Lieutenant Munroe slapped me roughly. "Bah! What the hell was that, all these ridiculous stories of faceless, nameless slobs! From this point
onwards, all characters in narratives and rules -- besides you, of course -- must be named. Understood?"
A weak voice escaped my lips. "Yes, but why?"

3:8 - "Yikes! Dear god, someone seems to have impregnated me! Who could be the father? Two men slept with me in the right time range, but now there is
no way of knowing the identity of the father! A great idea occured to my friend Nancy, an idea that will explain my dilemma to my future baby. Every
rule must now state, in its narrative, 'It is my belief that your father is ' followed by one of my baby's two possible fathers, Falaunt and Toroq"

3:9 - "Quickly! Aim for him, as it is my belief that your father is Falaunt!" Captain Longjohnson screamed. My PSG1 sniper rifle's scope swung towards the
head, guided by my hand, and my finger squeezed the trigger. The bath of crimson blood showered the area, and the Captain Longjohnson smiled.
"You know, from now on every rule should have a spectacular murder such as this. Now if only we could figure out where you got that sniper rifle from..."

3:10 - "May you die a quick, quiet death, as it is my belief that your father is Toroq" whispered Evildoer Max, as he shot Peter, who was standing next
to me, with a silenced handgun. If only anyone knew why he spared me and escaped. Soon, the policemen Jack, Tom, and Avory showed up and said: "This
situation could be avoided if all rules from now on involve three police officers and a dog." Suddenly, their dog, Spot, bit me.

Hopefully I'll be back in a few hours to get my head round the issue of style points. Busy busy busy.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

She

Postby She » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Regardless of the latest rules' validity, the round has ended since the play rule was posted more than 24 hours ago. If we are still twerking the meta-rules for this format, do you people think 24 hours is enough for a time limit, or should it be slightly longer?

TimelordSimone: you're doing fine. Sorry for not being able to make up my mind, but after some discussion in the nomic we agreed that having a sub-game with the main gameplay in another thread was not a good idea, so the style points are irrelevant. If anyone around here feels that something fun can be done with the style points thing, then you may keep it, but they're not needed due to nomic amore. Sorry again for trying to mix this game up with other stuff. I'll try to avoid it in the future.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Well I always thought "style points" was an ugly, hacky way of scoring this game myself.

Also, I'm not sure it's fair to end the game because no-one could come up with a rule following a rule declared invalid.

oagersnap

Doggone Mad

Postby oagersnap » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

She wrote:Regardless of the latest rules' validity, the round has ended since the play rule was posted more than 24 hours ago.

Not true. The meta-rules state that:

She wrote:5. If no valid rules are posted for 24 hours, the judge may end the round.

Since TimelordSimone is the judge, and he has not chosen to end the round, it's still running. And thus, here is my new rule suggestion:

”Eventually,” deputy chief Wilson had told me, ”We're going to have to retire Rufus. He is simply getting too old. He can't do the things that are required of police dogs anymore. It is my belief that your father is Toroq, so you must realize that this is necessary. After all, you've been Rufus' dog trainer all these years.”

He was right. Rufus had been acting strange for a while. However, at the time, nobody suspected the fatal events that would follow just a few days later. On a routine mission through a drug-ridden neighborhood, Rufus suddenly went mad and escaped my hold on his leash. He ran towards my partner Max and bit him in the leg. Max fell over; the ground around him turned red with blood. Rufus' jaws were firmly shut around his leg, and Max knew what he had to do. He took out his gun, held it towards Rufus' head, and pulled the trigger. Max' blood on the ground was soon mixed with the dog's.

No one could understand why Rufus' personality had changed so drastically. However, during my visit at the hospital a few days later, Max told me his opinion: ”You were too hard on him. In the future, try to be a little nicer to your dogs. And most importantly, all the future stories in the Fantasy Rules Committee thread must break the fourth wall. Also, they must have a title to their story in the subject line of their post.”

Of course he was right. If there's anyone in the police force who can be trusted, it's Max.

Validity:
3:1 - True with regards to 3:10, the last valid rule.
3:2 - True
3:3 - True
3:4 - True
3:5 - Both are true (mystery: Rufus' personality change)
3:6 - True
3:7 - True
3:8 - True
3:9 - True, the dog is killed
3:10 - True
Last edited by oagersnap on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BurningLed

Re: Fantasy Rules Committee - THE POINTY STICK

Postby BurningLed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Shot two at mine, following the rule i broke and the preceding rule.

---RULE----
"Why the hell do you have that stick? Did the reader give that to you?" said Aven.

"Did he? Well screw the reader, either way. Anyways, it is my belief that your father is Toroq."

Following my will, my hand angrily stabbed him to death with a large, pointy stick. As backup officers Jim and John attacked, my dog Ravenwood barked fiercely, and his foaming mouth kept him at bay. As Aven slowly withered away from his wounds, his last words were, "Every rule from now on really should contain a hundred words, on the dot. No more, no less."
----------------

(Now complete with fourth-wall breaking and a mystery -- Did he give me that pointy stick?)

oagersnap

Postby oagersnap » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

The above rule is invalid, since it doesn't begin with the final letter of the previous rule. (In this case, an x.)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Goddamnit.

Shot Three:

---RULE----
"Xylophonic Xeroxing! Where did that stick come from? Did the reader give that to you?" said Aven.

"Did he? Well screw the reader, either way. Anyways, it is my belief that your father is Toroq."

Following my will, my hand angrily stabbed him to death with a large, pointy stick. As backup officers Jim and John attacked, my dog Ravenwood barked fiercely, and his foaming mouth kept him at bay. As Aven slowly withered away from his wounds, his last words were, "Every rule from now on really should contain a hundred words, on the dot. No more, no less."
----------------

She

Postby She » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Hmm, this appears to be a bug in the meta-rules - not that a round can continue if the judge isn't around to end it in time, that's no big problem. However, I'm not sure if the recent rules count as valid before the judge has judged them to be - if not, e could just choose to not judge them but to end the round instead. Of course, e could just as well choose to declare them valid, and then the ending condition wouldn't be fulfilled anymore and the round would continue. Which is the more interesting way, because starting over is not as fun.

On the style points - it's almost the only way to score this game if you want to give credit for anything but just being the last to post a valid rule (well, maybe you could give points per valid rule and add something against the same player submitting more than one rule in a row), but the way it's played now, as just a forum game, it shouldn't be judged for points at all. As (I think) I've said, the concept is stolen from a mailing list where it's been playing for quite some time, where they have style points for no real reason - they don't affect anything.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 am UTC

BurningLed, you are gonna hate this, but is it still invalid!!

She's rule states:
all the future stories in the Fantasy Rules Committee thread must break the fourth wall. Also, they must have a title to their story in the subject line of their post

and while you managed the first part, there is no change in the Subject line of your post.
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

BigNose

See Spot Run - FRC

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 am UTC

Last rule letter was BurningLed’s ‘s’
Last valid rule letter was She’s ‘x’

Stark white lines showed where Colonel Mustard lay.
OR
X marked the spot where Colonel Mustard lay.

The gaping hole in his side, still slowly seeping blood. A red line snakes away to a drain.
"It is my belief that your father is Toroq and that you carried out this foul deed to cover the truth." stated Inspector Hedges.
Hedges and his second-in-command Detective Mason stood in the room with our suspect and dead body
“If you believe that, then why haven’t you asked for a DNA test?” responded the suspect, Miss Marples.
“Inpector . . ”, my interruption wasn’t liked, “ Spot needs to be taken out.”
The look from the Inspector was enough to place a second body on the ground, mine.
Exiting the room, my hearing catches Mason answering, “ Do you think this is a book? That we have readers asking the same question? You know we have to ask for blood and that you will refuse.”
“Probably.” stated Miss Marple, “but if this was a book, then all future rules must be relevant to the narration I think”.

PS What is the ruling? Last valid rule or last rule?

Rule 1: See above to conform
Rule 2: True
Rule 3: Almost didn't, but does now
Rule 4: True
Rule 5: Both true
Rule 6: True
Rule 7: True
Rule 8: True
Rule 9: True
Rule 10: I am a cop - True
Rule 11: Both True

What happened to the 'mystery' rule? Did it fail?
If so, good, if not : Who did kill Colonel Mustard?
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

coolguy5678

Investigation

Postby coolguy5678 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

My intention with 3:1 was "last valid rule", although the letter of the rule doesn't say this. I guess last rule, regardless of validity is better, as it prevents large chains of rules becoming invalid due to one invalid rule being posted without people realising it. TimelordSimone can decide.

"Killing Peter was the last thing on my mind," my mouth told Inspector Alan. "My dog, Spot, was being taken on a walk by myself, when he noticed something. He led me around the corner and Peter's body lay there -"
"Rubbish!", Alan interrupted. "It is my belief that your father is Falaunt, who we know was involved in - "
Suddenly two more cops, Fred and Bob, bursted through the door, interrupting Alan. It was never revealed what my supposed father was involved in, and it still haunts me to this day.
"You need to come with us," Fred started, "your life is in imminent danger."
"No it isn't, as the narration just said 'it still haunts me to this day', so obviously no-one will kill me now."
Bob dramatically revealed, "Are you sure about that?", and raised a gun at me.
Alan suddenly said "You'll blow our cover! Now he knows we are corrupt!"
Bob responded, "The rules say there has to be a dramatic plot twist in every story, so it must be done. It also says the story has to end on a cliffhanger." He fired his gun...

3:1 - The first letter of a rule must be the same as the last letter of the rule posted directly before it. - K, yep.
3:2 - All rules must be narrative and in the first person. - Yep.
3:3 - Don't use the pronoun "I", or contractions involving the pronoun "I". - Yep.
3:4 - No re-using rules from previous rounds. - Yep. (this and 3:12 are redundant, as no previous rounds had narrations in them)
3:5 - Must contain a mystery and must have the rule announced by someone other than you. - Yep. What was Falaunt involved in?
3:6 - No hyperlinks. - Yep.
3:7 - All characters (other than the narrator) must be named. - Yep.
3:8 - Must contain the sentence "It is my belief that your father is Falaunt/Toroq." - Yep.
3:9 - Someone must be murdered in every rule. - Does it matter if the murder happened earlier and is referred to in the story? BigNose did the same thing.
3:10 - All stories must contain 3 cops and a dog. - Yep.
3:11 - Stories must break the fourth wall and have a title in the subject. - Yep.
3:12 - Rules must have something to do with the narration. (not sure I understand this one) - Yep, I think.
3:13 - Stories must have a dramatic plot twist and end on a cliffhanger - Yep. Will I die?

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

My rule is to try to force people to not generate way-out rules, unles they can include the requirement in thier narration.
As an example, BurningLed's rule of exactly 100 words could not come about unless he included something along the line within his narration. (eg there were 100 steps in the tower. Written on each one was a word . . . etc).

You have ruled that each narration must contain a plot twist and have correctly included such in yours.

Hope this clarifies things.

She

Postby She » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Just clarifying a few things:
It was not me who wrote the rule ending in x, it was oagersnap.
Writing "every rule must" measn it applies to all previous rules too.
There's an I in one of Miss Marple's lines.

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Isn't that covered by the meta-rule saying each rule must follow itself? I think there's a slight subtlety I'm missing. :(

EDIT: ninja, I was responding to BigNose.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

She,

Yep, I have no idea why I identified you as the originator.
I don't think the 'every rules' comment applies to me as I stated 'all future rules'
And damn, Damn, DAMN, Damn, damn.
I word searched it and saw 1 use of I and amended it. I just didn't continue the search.
RATS!

Coolguys narration:
Yes, I used implication to determine a murder and that I was the 3rd cop.
Also, every rule following itself does not apply to this FRC stream.

CORRECTED RULESET:
3:7 - All characters (other than the narrator) must be named.
3:11 - all the future stories in the Fantasy Rules Committee thread must break the fourth wall. Also, they must have a title to their story in the subject line of their post

Previous 3:12 & 3:13 have been ruled invalid.
Next letter to use : N
Last edited by BigNose on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

She

Postby She » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

That thing about mentioning all rules was directed at coolguy5678 - "every story must include a plot twist". And every rule doesn't have to obey itself, but every rule has to be consistent with itself as per the meta-rules (I maybe changed that after the "break yourself" round 2). So saying "all rules must" includes itself, but a rule can say "all rules but this one" or "all future rules" and still be consistent with itself.

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

"Now killing Peter was the last thing on my mind," my mouth told Inspector Alan. "My dog, Spot, was being taken on a walk by myself, when he noticed something. He led me around the corner and Peter's body lay there -"
"Rubbish!", Alan interrupted. "It is my belief that your father is Falaunt, who we know was involved in - "
Suddenly two more cops, Fred and Bob, bursted through the door, interrupting Alan. It was never revealed what my supposed father was involved in, and it still haunts me to this day.
"You need to come with us," Fred started, "your life is in imminent danger."
"No it isn't, as the narration just said 'it still haunts me to this day', so obviously no-one will kill me now."
Bob dramatically revealed, "Are you sure about that?", and raised a gun at me.
Alan suddenly said "You'll blow our cover! Now he knows we are corrupt!"
Bob responded, "The rules say there has to be a dramatic plot twist in this story and future stories, so it must be done. It also says they have to end on a cliffhanger." He fired his gun...

She

Postby She » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

Not that it killed him. That was anticipated though. As you know, that pesky Poirot was notoriously hard to put down, like all main characters. This wasn't even his story, and still some lame deus ex machina came to his rescue. A piece of her internal monologue caught my ear; sounded like "good thing that kind officer offered me a kevlar vest". Right, of course he'd do some good foreshadowing before going to a crimescene.

At least the shot caught him off his feet. That dog of his, Spot, started barking.
"Damn, Bob!" said Alan. "Now they'll be here any minute!"
"And what an interesting scene they will find", said Poirot, getting to his feet.
"Capture him!" my voice rang out. Alan and Fred got to it. Spot stopped barking as they got the sack over the defenceless detective's head. He looked like he was going to run away. That couldn't be allowed. My gun was heard once more, and poor Spot was no more. My thoughts on this regrettable choice of mine were interrupted by Alan's hand on my shoulder.
"We're done, he's bound and gagged."
"Good."
"And... the boss is here." My head turned into the alley, where Fred stood with the tied-up Belgian. Behind them now stood another figure; masked and cloaked. Zero. We had asked ourselves who he truly was, but noone had ever seen the face behind that mask.
"Master." We kneeled before him. He ignored us and turned to our captive.
"So, Monsieur Poirot... My subordinates have no doubt told you that Toroq was often seen around here, and surely you have contemplated why your father would involve himself in matters like these. However, it is my belief that your father was Falaunt and not Toroq."
"But you told us..." began Fred.
"Well, it was a lie." We were shocked. Zero continued: "All in order to get you all here at this time. It seems you have even shot the dog as anticipated." It was clearly time for some plot exposition. He would hate to be interrupted now, so it would be best if future stories avoided introducing more than one new character. "Now, to the purpose of this masquerade..."

--- end rule ---

BigNose: one thing with that ruleset - the intention of my 3:5 was to have each rule be narrated from the perspective of a different character than the previous. Who announces the rule doesn't matter.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Coolguy5678: Invalid for the same reason that She's is also invalid.

She, you should be ashamed of yourself. It your own rule you broke!

She

!

Postby She » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

If you're talking about the ubject line thing, goddammit I hate that rule! :)
However, according to you I seem to be making all of the rules around here. It wasn't me who posted that one either.

BurningLed

Re: Fantasy Rules Committee - The Evil Stick

Postby BurningLed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

so, last rule posted ends with... E. And 3:12/3:13 are invalid as determined by judge, correct?

---RULE----
"Evocative Evildoers! Where did that stick come from? Did the reader give that to you?" said Aven.

----------------

BigNose

GODS RULE - FRC

Postby BigNose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am UTC

She,
I obviously think more of you than you are.

Oagersnap,
My apologies for not considering you are more than I think.

BurningLed,
Damn you. It was late for me last night, otherwise I had a rule to void you placing your 100 word rule (again and again and again).

Try this:

“So, why do we have 5 cops in a pet shop?” says the God of War.
“The reader’s rules state 3 cops and a dog.” as my thumb squashes one policeman, turning another into a dog with my stare.
“Unfair” shouts the God of Love.
“Do you question me? GOD that is who . . .”
GoL and GoW scream “STOP! You know that word is banned.”
“And what is this Flaunt?”
“It's Falant. The sentence is ‘It is my belief that your father is Falant, or Toroq’.”
“Damn Humans."
GoL reponds "If they want rules, – No future repeat attempts.”

Rule #1 - True
Rule #2 - True, I am GOD
Rule #3 - Almost said it
Rule #4 - True
Rule #5 - True, Why 5 cops?
Rule #6 - True
Rule #7 - True, cops and dog are objects, not characters
Rule #8 - True
Rule #9 - Being squashed by a thumb!
Rule # 10 - And more
Rule #11 - True
Rule #12 - On the dot (As per MS Word wordcount)

She

Postby She » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

Just a heads-up to TimelordSimone - the last valid rule has timed out again, so you can end the game if you want to. It would be most appreciated if you were to show up at all.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Why are we waiting?

Oh. Hang on. I've already done that!

She

Postby She » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

We're waiting for TimelordSimone, but maybe it would be best to just declare this one dead and start a new round. Since you posted the last rule, which I think was valid (can't be bothered to check), would you mind judging? Otherwise I'll do it.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

I would be happy to judge.

In this case I declare Rule 4:1 as follows:
4:1 Each future rule must use the same word at the start and the end of it.

She

Postby She » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Rule: no rule can use the same starting word as another rule.

Also I think it would be weird if the judge kept posting in eir own round, but it's not against the meta-rules.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Following this rule, rules must have less words than the rule which it is following.

(Limit 15, right now :P This should be a short round.

4:1 - Yes, ends and starts with 'following'
4:2 - Neither of you started with 'following')

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Also, She's rule doesn't count because "no" and "it" are not the same word.

Rule: Rules shall have ye olde speak, and in italics, for I feel like being [i]olde[i], and for they are rules.

4:1- Starts and ends with "rules"
4:2- Assuming this doesn't count, but if it does nobody has used "rules" yet.
4:3- Mine is 19 words.

In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

She

Postby She » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

Raptortech: I don't get what you mean. neither hy mine isn't valid, nor why your should be when having more words rather than fewer.

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

She wrote:Raptortech: I don't get what you mean. neither why mine isn't valid, nor why your's should be when having more words rather than fewer.

[Added missing letters in bold]

On the second, you're right, I read it as "the rule which is following it," as opposed to "the rule which it is following."

Rule: Rules shall have ye olde speak, and in italics, for they are rules.

4:1- Starts and ends with "rules"
4:2- Assuming this doesn't count, but if it does nobody has used "rules" yet.
4:3- Mine is 13 words, and 13<15.

On your first point, I present this:
BigNose wrote:4:1 Each future rule must use the same word at the start and the end of it.

She wrote:Rule: no rule can use the same starting word as another rule.

You used different words ("no" and "rule") to start and end you rule, which is in direct contradiction with a rule stating the first and last words must be the same. I don't know how else to put it.
Last edited by Raptortech97 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Know that ye future rules be redundant, ye know.

4:1 - know and know
4:2 - know hasn't been used
4:3 - 9 < 13
4:4 - It is in ye olde speak and italics.

She

Postby She » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 am UTC

Ah, I see. But the thing is, the initial "Rule:" was meant to be a part of the rule!

Okay, that was a bit of a gotcha. Sorry.

Return to “Forum Games”