Nomic 15.0

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

kerfuffleninja

Nomic 15.0

Postby kerfuffleninja » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

I assure you, 15 is the correct number. Or 80. Take your pick.
This is a game of Nomic, and the starting rules are as follows:

§001:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.

§002:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule §002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

§003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammer Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

§004:
Once a motion has recieved five votes, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

Well, we'll see how this goes. The rules may not be perfect, but I tried to make them as simple as possible to keep the game moving along.

turret

Re: Nomic 15.0

Postby turret » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

I make a motion to, instead of summarizing rules, numbering them. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.
Last edited by turret on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

skellious

Postby skellious » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

you need that in bold and italics

(hi Lord K, long time no see! :D *waves franticly* good to see you starting a new nomic :))
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

I make a motion to declare e^iπ+1=0 the winner of this nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

I cast my vote in favor of e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic has received five votes: 5 for, 0 against. The motion passes, so e^iπ+1=0 is the winner.

...sorry
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

skellious

Postby skellious » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I make a motion to declare e^iπ+1=0 the winner of this nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic has received five votes: 5 for, 0 against. The motion passes, so e^iπ+1=0 is the winner.

...sorry

'one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote' - I would argue this means you can only cast one vote.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Maybe. However, the only way to resolve the issue currently is through motion. And that doesn't solve the problem, because I could start a motion to say I'm right, vote on it 5 times, declare I'm right, and again you'd say that didn't count. I don't see a solution.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

turret

Postby turret » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

I make a motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.. For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as turret's motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

I cast my vote in favor of turret's motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

I cast my vote in favor of turret's motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic.

Last edited by turret on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

turret

Postby turret » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

I make a motion to declare voting on your own motions more than once is illegal. For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred turret's self-vote motion

I cast my vote in favor of turret's self-vote motion

bam! issue resolved!

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

No. It's not defined whether or not voting on a motion more than once is allowed. I'm perfectly within my rights to change my position on which I think is right as much as I want. And so, I claim that your voting on that motion was illegal. Again, no way to resolve it, issue is not resolved.

(Avatar by Sungura)

turret

Postby turret » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

True, but if you believe voting more than once on your own motion is unacceptable, your motion to win now has one vote, which makes you not the winner.
If you believe it is OK to vote on your own motion several times, your motion is disregarded, which makes you not the winner.

My point stands: issue resolved.

skellious

Postby skellious » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

not quite, you didnt repost rules... however...

I make a motion to ammend rule §004 to read "Once a motion has recieved five votes from five different players, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more unique votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails." For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as skellious's motion to fix the nomic.

I cast my vote in favor of skellious's motion to fix the nomic.

The ammended rules are as follows:

§001:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.

§002:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule §002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

§003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammer Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."

§004:
Once a motion has recieved five votes from five different players, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more unique votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

turret

Postby turret » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Alright, since the game is just a little less broken now
I cast my vote in favor of turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.

kerfuffleninja

Postby kerfuffleninja » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

I cast my vote against turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.

I make a motion to create a rule, numbered §005, to read as follows:
Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. The chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, though this decision may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision."

For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay.

I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay.

Indeed, Skellious, it is good to see you too. I hoped to get around to making this Nomic sooner, but it turns out I have more of a life than I thought...

skellious

Postby skellious » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

kerfuffleninja wrote:Indeed, Skellious, it is good to see you too. I hoped to get around to making this Nomic sooner, but it turns out I have more of a life than I thought...

It's amazing, isn't it? When you stop playing a nomic you seem to start getting invited out again... :P

turret

Postby turret » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

As this sounds like a reasonable way to keep order
I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay

skellious

Postby skellious » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

(Avatar by Sungura)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:22 am UTC

Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

kerfuffleninja

Postby kerfuffleninja » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

The ruleset is as follows:

§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:
Once a motion has recieved five votes from five different players, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more unique votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

§005:
Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. The chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, though this decision may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision."

turret

Postby turret » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

I make a motion to amend rule §005 by putting a "be" between "may" and "settled". For the purposes of voting this motion shall be referred to as turret's motion to fix a grammatical error.

Quate

Postby Quate » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of turret's motion to fix a grammatical error.

I make a motion to require that the revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching.

I cast my vote in favor of Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

I make a motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic, turret's motion to disregard e^iπ+1=0's motion to win the nomic, turret's self-vote motion, and skellious's motion to fix the nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as e^iπ+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions.

I cast my vote in favor of e^iπ+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions.

I make a motion to, in the event that e^iπ+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions passes, amend rule §004 to read "Once a motion has recieved five votes from five different players, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more unique votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails." For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as e^iπ+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it.

I cast my vote in favor of e^iπ+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it.

Essentially, pretend all the self-voting stuff never happened. The reason I'm copying Skellious' motion is that even though it's probably what most people want, I think it should be passed without self-voting. So my first motion eliminates his amendment (along with disregarding other motions) and my second one adds it back.

(Avatar by Sungura)

skellious

Postby skellious » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of e^iπ+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it.

copypasta FTW!

turret

Postby turret » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

Woah, forgot to vote on my own motion

Affinity

Postby Affinity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:49 am UTC

I cast my vote against turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.

turret's motion to fix a grammatical error now has 5 votes, 5 of which are in favor, and it passes.
Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching now has 5 votes, 5 of which are in favor, and it passes.

I'm just going to ignore all the self-voting shenanigans in the revised ruleset and stuff, since if we weren't all just ignoring them anyway, the game would've been over by post 4. For the purposes of me ignoring stuff, e^iπ+1=0's two most recent motions do not count as shenanigans.

Also, at the bottom of this post I'm going to try to maintain a list of all motions, active, passed, or failed, as well as the current ruleset.

Revised ruleset:
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:
Once a motion has recieved five votes, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

§005:
Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may be settled by the chairman. The chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, though this decision may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision."

Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching:
The revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching.

Essentially, this motion makes it so that once a motion has three votes one way or the other, we don't have to wait for the remaining votes to be cast on it, since they really don't matter.

I make a motion to replace the first three sentences of rule §004 with "If at any point there are three votes in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes against a motion, the motion fails." If this motion passes, and subsequently "e^iπ+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it" is passed, this proposal will immediately take effect upon rule §004 as though it had passed after said motion by e^iπ+1=0. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting.

I cast my vote in favor a Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting.

As of December 21 2010, at 10:22 PM PST...

Current ruleset:
Spoiler:
§001:
(In original ruleset)

§002:
(In original ruleset)

§003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/in favour of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammer Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."
(In original ruleset)

§004:
If at any point there are three votes in favor of a motion, the motion is immediately approved. If at any point there are three votes against a motion, the motion is immediately denied. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker or any other with official powers to do so must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. Although already approved, A rule and/or amendment shall not be considered as in effect until the revised ruleset is posted. (Dates from original ruleset; amended)
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to reduce confusion over rule §004"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§005:
HarvesteR is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions. (Dates from kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay)
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's first motion; to make the Chairman someone active"; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§006:
The revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching.
(Proposed by Quate as "Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching"; approved by Quate, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§007:
No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion.
(Proposed by snowyowl as "Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions"; approved by snowyowl, skellious, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by snowyowl)

§008:
All players have a property called "number of internets". All players receive one internet upon making their first post in this thread; all players who have made at least one post before the passing of this rule also gain one internet when this rule comes into effect. Whenever a player's number of internets is changed, a list of all players' internet-counts is posted in a spoiler tag, in decreasing order of internet-counts.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to create currency"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§009:
Those who have their motions approved shall be rewarded with 1 (one) internet per vote in favor received, less 1 (one) internet per vote against received. In this fashion, one who has a motion approved will receive an amount of internets proportional to the general acceptance of his proposed motion. (e.g. If one has a motion passed with 3 votes in favor and 2 votes against, said one shall receive 1 internet). Internets shall only be granted once the motion has been effectively approved, and correctly followed through with appropriate insertion on, and/or revision of the ruleset. Motions passed before the approval of this rule shall not be affected retroactively. Motions currently under vote at the time of this rule's approval shall observe this rule. In the event that a motion is denied, no internets shall be given nor taken.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to reward meritous contributions"; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§010:
All motions to create rules approved henceforth shall be/must be automatically appended to the existing ruleset under its corresponding number.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to maintain a coherent ruleset"; approved by HarvesteR, Boreeas, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§011:
All rules appended to the original ruleset are required to be reworded so as to remove unnecessary sentences regarding obsolete voting, such as 'for the purposes of voting...'. This rule also requires that in any case in which a rule refers to itself as a 'motion', it must be reworded so as to emphasize and maintain the semantic difference between a motion and a rule. The extent of this rule is limited to such rewording and editing, and prohibits the altering of rules in any way that might distort, omit or otherwise modify the implied or explicitly stated content of its previous form as a motion. It extends as far as modifying the wording of a rule to append information about its creator and originating motion in order to preserve its history.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance and further improve the coherence of the ruleset"; approved by alexriehl, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§012:
People are not forced to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.
(Proposed by turret as "turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for"; approved by turret, snowyowl, JonR; opposed by kerfuffleninja, Affinity; edited by HarvesteR)

§013:
All terminated motions, regardless of the outcome of the vote, are required to be announced in the following form:
For approved motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes in favor, and it passes.
This motion has been approved with # votes in favor, # against. [username] shall receive {see rule §009} internets for his(her) meritous contribution."

For denied motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes against, and is hereby denied."
It is required that, upon posting of the revised ruleset, the ruleset-revisor precede his new submission with the above announcement, so that it is clear for all participants that a new revision of the ruleset has been submitted. Observance of other rules regarding ruleset presentation shall still apply.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance motion termination verbosity"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§014:
Along with the revised ruleset, a list of motions still open to voting is to be placed in any post casting a deciding vote in a motion.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to keep a list of active motions"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)

§015:
Players may give any positive amount of their resources any other player for whatever reason they wish. (Originally "coolguy5678's motion to promote the Christmas spirit")
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to expand the Christmas spirit"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§016:
The Motion-maker is granted official power to cancel a motion of his own making that is currently under vote. This shall be done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby terminate [name of motion]. As of this moment, this motion is no longer under vote and shall be removed and forgotten." This shall completely terminate the open motion. Being granted power to remove a motion does not imply that the power-holder is compelled to follow through. The Chairman does not have authority to grant this power unto himself, being also required to rely on the group consensus.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to remove and forget obsolete motions (Rev. 1)"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§017:
The Chairman is permitted to grant internets to persons who have been of exemplary value in the community, at the discretion of the Chairman. The chairman is unable to award himself/herself internets, but internets can be given to the Chairman, free of cost to players, if a motion to do so passes. The chairman is only permitted to award 5 internets per week. Any internets beyond that will be charged to the chairman as per Rule §015. Internets granted under this rule may be revoked, as per the procedure outlined in §005.
(Proposed by alexriehl as "alexriehl's revised motion to grant currency-based rewards"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, _infina_; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)

§018:
No player is allowed to have more than 3 open motions at any time. Any motion proposed after the 3rd shall be ignored.
(Proposed by JonR as "JonR's 2nd motion; to curb excessive motion proposals"; approved by HarvesteR, _infina_, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§019:
The Nomic estate now holds land. This land is subdivided into 2560 roods. These areas can be held by a player as a way to generate resources, provided that said player has enough internets to his credit to make the purchase. As of this rule's approval, the value of the land rood is not yet established, and no method of generating resources from the land has been devised. For the aforementioned reasons, buying and selling of land roods is not, as of yet, in effect.
(Proposed by _infina_ as "infina's motion to create land"; approved by _infina_, alexriehl, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§020:
Each player to join the game will begin with ten roods of land in addition to his/her starting internet. Players present at the passing of this motion shall receive ten roods of land for each internet they have. Roods awarded by this motion shall be deducted from the Nomic estate's rood supply.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to award initial roods"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§021:
At any point, a player may declare, "I buy [n] roods from the Nomic estate", where n is a multiple of ten less than or equal to the number of roods remaining in the Nomic estate. The player immediate gains n roods and loses n/10 internets, which are added to the Nomic estate's internet supply. Roods transferred between players are not restricted by this motion's exchange rate.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to set an exchange rate"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§022:
All land in existance shall be mapped on a 64 by 40 tile grid, each tile of which represents a land rood. Land-buyers, as they purchase more land, must update this map so that it reflects the change in territory ownership. The map shall be posted at each new map update, contained in a spoiler tag. Each land-owner must represent his estate with a unique color, so that his territory is well defined.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to map out the land"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§023:
Each prospective land buyer, prior to purchasing any land, be it from the Nomic Estate or from another land-owner, must declare his intent to do so in the following manner, in bold and italics: 'I hereby claim the land located at [location of roods]'. The purpose of this rule is to prevent conflicts over land ownership in the event that another players claim the same rood, before the map of ownership could be updated.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to prevent land ownership conflicts"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§024:
Whenever a someone makes a motion, he automatically and implicitly casts a vote in favour of it. This can be cancelled by explicitly stating, in bold and italics, "I do not cast my vote in (favour|favor) of [motion name]", or by casting a vote against the motion.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's second motion; to reduce obvious, redundant votes"; approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§025:
The term "resources" (currently) means internets and roods. Furthermore, no action may be performed that causes any of a player's resources to become negative.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to simplify resource transactions"; approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§026:
Players may announce the foundation of a settlement in their own land. The first settlement is free of charge, but subsequent settlements have a cost of 3 internets. Players shall announce the foundation of a settlement in the following form, in bold and italics: "I announce the foundation of [name of settlement] in [player domain's name], located at [map coordinates]" A player may declare any settlement in his land a city, but doing so will cost 3 more internets. To declare a settlement a city, the announcement must be in bold and italics and read: "I declare [name of settlement] a city." The capital city of a player's domain is the first settlement promoted to a city. A player may transfer the capital of his domain to another city (not settlement) at the cost of another 3 internets. Transferring a capital shall be done by announcing in bold and italics: "I transfer the capital of [name of domain] to the city of [name of city]".
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to colonize the land"; approved by HarvesteR, coolguy5678, ostrichguy; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

Active motions:
Spoiler:
coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion to create a system of Nomic Time, with one year of Nomic Time corresponding to one day of Real Time. The official Nomic New Year is set at midnight UTC. The first New Year before this motion passes is the beginning of "Year 1", and the year following this is "Year 2", and so on. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "coolguy5678's motion to create time".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to create official positions for Master Map Maker, Deputy Map Maker and allow players to take on Map Maker duties. A Player may take on his duty as Map Maker by declaring, in bold and italics: "I hereby take on the solemn duty of Map Maker, and pledge to devote my map-making efforts to the World Charting Endeavour. For as long as I am commited to this effort, I pledge never to use my map-making powers for evil." The role of the Master Map Maker is to reconcile eventual map-making conflicts, and direct the World Charting Endeavour. The Deputy Map Maker shall take on the role of Master Map Maker, in the event that the Master Map Maker is not available at any given time to solve any map-related issue. The Deputy Map Maker may override a map-making decision by a Map Maker. The Master Map Maker may override any map-making decision, including but not limited to, decisions made by the Deputy Map Maker. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "HarvesteR's motion to commence the World-Charting Endeavour".

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to, In the event of "HarvesteR's motion to commence the World-Charting Endeavour"'s approval, HarvesteR is named Master Map Maker, and Affinity is made Deputy Map-Maker. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as: "HarvesteR's motion to appoint HarvesteR as Master Map Maker"

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion that anyone who uses either Comic Sans or Papyrus in the Nomic Empire Map will be fined 5 internets (or all their internets, if they have less than 5). These internets will go to the Nomic Estate. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "coolguy5678's motion to prevent the use of terrible fonts".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by Affinity)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion that any resources generated by a player's capital city are doubled. If "HarvesteR's motion to colonize the land" does not pass, this motion is made invalid. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "coolguy5678's motion to make the capital city awesome".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

_infina_ wrote:I make a motion that the player list be separated into active players and inactive players. All players at the time of the passage of this motion are placed in the active players category. If a player fails to post for a week, they are moved to the inactive players category. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as infina's motion to define activity.

(Proposed by _infina_; approved by _infina_; opposed by HarvesteR)

_infina_ wrote:I hereby make a motion that after a player has been on the inactive list for three weeks, their land is returned to the Nomic Estate.This motion is dependent on infina's motion to define activity, and if that does not pass, this motion is no longer valid. For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as infina's motion to penalize inactivity.

(Proposed by _infina_; approved by _infina_, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to change the first two sentences of §004 to the following: "If at any point more than half of the active players have voted in favor of a motion, it is immediately approved. If at any point more than half of the active players against a motion, the motion is immediately denied." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to make passage requirements elastic.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by Affinity; opposed by nobody)

Passed motions:
Spoiler:
kerfuffleninja wrote:I make a motion to create a rule, numbered §005, to read as follows:

For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay.

(Proposed by kerfuffleninja; approved by kerfuffleninja, turret, skellious, e^ipi+1=0, _infina_; opposed by nobody)

turret wrote:I make a motion to amend rule §005 by putting a "be" between "may" and "settled". For the purposes of voting this motion shall be referred to as turret's motion to fix a grammatical error.

(Proposed by turret; approved by Quate, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

Quate wrote:I make a motion to require that the revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching.

(Proposed by Quate; approved by Quate, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to replace the first three sentences of rule §004 with "If at any point there are three votes in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes against a motion, the motion fails." If this motion passes, and subsequently "e^ipi+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it" is passed, this proposal will immediately take effect upon rule §004 as though it had passed after said motion by e^ipi+1=0. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by Affinity, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, snowyowl; opposed by nobody)

e^ipi+1=0 wrote:I make a motion to disregard e^ipi+1=0's motion to win the nomic, turret's motion to disregard e^ipi+1=0's motion to win the nomic, turret's self-vote motion, and skellious's motion to fix the nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as e^ipi+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions.

(Proposed by e^ipi+1=0; approved by e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

e^ipi+1=0 wrote:I make a motion to, in the event that e^ipi+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions passes, amend rule §004 to read "Once a motion has recieved five votes from five different players, they are tallied. If a motion recieves three or more unique votes in the affirmative, it passes and is acted upon. Otherwise, it fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails." For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as e^ipi+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it.

(Proposed by e^ipi+1=0; approved by e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

snowyowl wrote:I make a motion to amend rule §005 to read: "Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snowyowl's motion to make sure Kerfuffleninja doesn't get any nasty ideas.

(Proposed by snowyowl; approved by snowyowl, skellious, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

snowyowl wrote:I make a motion to add a new rule with the following text: "No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions.

(Proposed by snowyowl; approved by snowyowl, skellious, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion that all players have a property called "number of internets". All players receive one internet upon making their first post in this thread; all players who have made at least one post before the passing of this motion (if it passes) also gain one internet when the motion passes. Whenever a player's number of internets is changed, a list of all players' internet-counts is posted in a spoiler tag, in decreasing order of internet-counts. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as coolguy5678's motion to create currency.

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to reward those who have their motions approved with 1 (one) internet per vote in favor received, less 1 (one) internet per vote against received. In this fashion, one who has a motion approved will receive an amount of internets proportional to the general acceptance of his proposed motion. (e.g. If one has a motion passed with 3 votes in favor and 2 votes against, said one shall receive 1 internet). Internets shall only be granted once the motion has been effectively approved, and correctly followed through with appropriate insertion on, and/or revision of the ruleset. This motion shall not be applied retroactively, but shall be observed by motions currently under vote at the time of this motion's approval. In the event that a motion is denied, no internets shall be given nor taken. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as: HarvesteR's motion to reward meritous contributions

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to include Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching and Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions into the numbered list of rules, given the fact that both motions have been accepted, and are therefore no longer motions, but actual rules. If accepted, the aforementioned motions shall be referred to as rules §006 and §007, respectively. In addition, all motions to create rules approved henceforth shall be/must be automatically appended to the existing ruleset under it's corresponding number. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as: "HarvesteR's motion to maintain a coherent ruleset".

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR, Boreeas, alexriehl; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion to change the text "[in favor of/against]" in §003 to "[in favor of/in favour of/against]". For the purposes of voting, this motion will be referred to as coolguy5678's motion to acknowledge that there are, in fact, countries other than America.

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, snowyowl, NecklaceOfShadow; opposed by Boreeas)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to have all rules heretofore appended to the original ruleset reworded so as to remove unnecessary senteces regarding obsolete voting, such as 'for the purposes of voting...'. All entries in the ruleset have already been approved, and by definition are no longer motions, but rules. This motion also shall address any case in which a rule refers to itself as a 'motion', rewording it accordingly so as to emphasize and maintain the semantic difference between a motion and a rule. The extent of this motion shall be limited to such rewording and editing, and shall not alter rules in any way that might distort, omit or otherwise modify the implied or explicitly stated content of said rule. But shall extend as far as modifying the wording of a rule to append information about it's creator and originating motion in order to preserve it's history. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as: 'HarvesteR's motion to enhance and further improve the coherence of the ruleset'

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by alexriehl, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

turret wrote:I make a motion to, instead of summarizing rules, numbering them. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.

(Proposed by turret; approved by turret, snowyowl, JonR; opposed by kerfuffleninja, Affinity)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to revise rule §004, so that it shall henceforth read: "If at any point there are three votes in favor of a motion, the motion is immediately approved. If at any point there are three votes against a motion, the motion is immediately denied. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker or any other with official powers to do so must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. Although already approved, A rule and/or amendment shall not be considered as in effect until the revised ruleset is posted."
For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as: "HarvesteR's motion to reduce confusion over rule §004"

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to require that all terminated motions, regardless of the outcome of the vote, be announced in the following form:
For approved motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes in favor, and it passes.
This motion has been approved with # votes in favor, # against.
[username] shall receive {see rule §009} internets for his(her) meritous contribution."
For denied motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes against, and is hereby denied."
In the event of this motion's approval, it shall be required that, upon posting of the revised ruleset, the ruleset-revisor precede his new submission with the above announcement, so that it is clear for all participants that a new revision of the ruleset has been submitted. Observance of other rules regarding ruleset presentation shall still apply. If approved, this motion shall be inserted into the ruleset with appended examples of announcement use.
For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as: "HarvesteR's motion to enhance motion termination verbosity"

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to require that along with the revised ruleset, a list of motions still open to voting be placed in any post casting a deciding vote in a motion. For purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to keep a list of active motions.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion to allow players to give some of their internets any other player for whatever reason they wish. They may only give a positive number of internets which is less or equal to their current internet count*. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "coolguy5678's motion to promote Christmas spirit".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to grant the Motion-maker official power to cancel a motion of his own making that is currently under vote. This shall be done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby terminate [name of motion]. As of this moment, this motion is no longer under vote and shall be removed and forgotten." This shall completely terminate the open motion. Anyone may be granted this power if agreed upon by a group consensus. Being granted power to remove a motion does not imply that the power-holder is compelled to follow through. The Chairman does not have authority to grant this power unto himself, being also required to rely on the group consensus. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "HarvesteR's motion to remove and forget obsolete motions (Rev. 1)"

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

alexriehl wrote:I make a motion to permit the Chairman to grant internets to persons who have been of exemplary value in the community, at the discretion of the Chairman. The Chairman is unable to award himself/herself internets, but internets can be given to the chairman, if a motion to do so passes. The Chairman is only permitted to award 5 internets per week. Internets granted as rewards may be revoked, ONLY by means of a passed motion to revoke them. For purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "alexriehl's revised motion to grant currency-based rewards.

(Proposed by alexriehl; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, _infina_; opposed by nobody)

JonR wrote:I make a motion that players are only allowed to have a maximum of three open motions in progress at any one time. This should help reduce the confusion caused when one player has lots of proposed but unverified motions. For purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "JonR's 2nd motion; to curb excessive motion proposals.

(Proposed by JonR; approved by HarvesteR, _infina_, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody)

_infina_ wrote:I make a motion that we create an area of land to serve as the basis of this Nomic, the smallest devision a rood, with a total area of 2560 roods. these areas can be held by a player as a way to generate resources, which will be decided on at a later date by another motion. This shall be known as infina's motion to create land.

(Proposed by _infina_; approved by _infina_, alexriehl, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion to make HarvesteR the Chairman. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "coolguy5678's first motion; to make the Chairman someone active".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to award ten roods of land to each existing player for each internet owned by that player. Each player to subsequently join the game will begin with ten roods of land in addition to his/her starting internet. Roods awarded by this motion shall be deducted from the Nomic estate's rood supply. For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to award initial roods.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to set an official price on roods of one internet per ten roods. At any point, a player may declare, "I buy [n] roods from the Nomic estate", where n is a multiple of ten less than or equal to the number of roods remaining in the Nomic estate. The player immediate gains n roods and loses n/10 internets, which are added to the Nomic estate's internet supply. Roods transferred between players are not restricted by this motion's exchange rate. For the purposes of voting, this shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to set an exchange rate.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to create a chart of the land, consisting of a 64 by 40 tile grid, each of which representing a land rood. Land-buyers, as they purchase more land, must update this map so that it reflects the change in territory ownership. The map shall be posted at each new map update, contained in a spoiler tag. Each land-owner must represent his estate with a unique color, so that his territory is well defined.
For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as 'HarvesteR's motion to map out the land'.

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to require that each prospective land buyer, prior to purchasing any land, be it from the Nomic Estate or from another land-owner, declare his intent to do so in the following manner, in bold and italics: 'I hereby claim the land located at [location of roods]'. The purpose of this motion is to prevent conflicts over land ownership in the event that another players claims the same rood, before the map of ownership could be updated. This motion is only valid in the event that HarvesteR's motion to map out the land passes. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as 'HarvesteR's motion to prevent land ownership conflicts'

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion that, whenever a someone makes a motion, he automatically and implicitly casts a vote in favour of it. This can be cancelled by explicitly stating, in bold and italics, "I do not cast my vote in (favour|favor) of [motion name]", or by casting a vote against the motion. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "coolguy5678's second motion; to reduce obvious, redundant votes".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

coolguy5678 wrote:I make a motion that the term "resources" (currently) means internets and roods. Furthermore, no action may be performed that causes any of a player's resources to become negative. The text "which is less than or equal to their current internet count" is removed from §015 since it is no longer necessary. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as "coolguy5678's motion to simplify resource transactions".

(Proposed by coolguy5678; approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody)

Affinity wrote:I make a motion to change the text of §015 to "Players may give some of their resources any other player for whatever reason they wish. They may only give a positive number of resources which is less than or equal to their current amount of that resource." If this motion passes and "coolguy5678's motion to simplify resource transactions" subsequently passes, §015 shall instead read "Players may give any positive amount of their resources any other player for whatever reason they wish." For the purposes of voting, this shall be known as Affinity's motion to expand the Christmas spirit.

(Proposed by Affinity; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody)

HarvesteR wrote:I make a motion to allow players to announce the foundation of a settlement in their own land. The first settlement is free of charge, but subsequent settlements have a cost of 3 internets. Players shall announce the foundation of a settlement in the following form, in bold and italics: "I announce the foundation of [name of settlement] in [player domain's name], located at [map coordinates]". A player may declare any settlement in his land a city, but doing so will cost 3 more internets. To declare a settlement a city, the announcement must be in bold and italics and read: "I declare [name of settlement] a city." The capital city of a player's domain is the first settlement promoted to a city. A player may transfer the capital of his domain to another city (not settlement) at the cost of another 3 internets. Transferring a capital shall be done by announcing in bold and italics: "I transfer the capital of [name of domain] to the city of [name of city]". For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be known as "HarvesteR's motion to colonize the land".

(Proposed by HarvesteR; approved by HarvesteR, coolguy5678, ostrichguy; opposed by nobody)

Failed motions:
Spoiler:
JonR wrote:I make a motion that the state of the weather not being today like it used to be when I was a lad should be discussed in each subsequent post, with examples. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be refered to as 'JonR's 1st motion to discuss the weather'

(Proposed by JonR; approved by nobody; opposed by alexriehl, coolguy5678, HarvesteR)

_infina_ wrote:I make a motion that we change the way motions are presented to using the quote tags as per this example:
infina's motion to create land wrote:I make a motion that we create an area of land to serve as the basis of this Nomic, the smallest devision a rood, with a total area of 2560 roods. these areas can be held by a player as a way to generate resources, which will be decided on at a later date by another motion.
This motion shall be known as infina's motion to simplify motions.

(Proposed by _infina_; approved by _infina_; opposed by alexriehl, coolguy5678, HarvesteR)

Players:
Spoiler:
The Nomic estate: 0 internets, 0 roods on credit, 2256 roods claimed
HarvesteR: 25 internets, 50 roods on credit, 110 roods claimed
coolguy5678: 15 internets, 0 roods on credit, 90 roods claimed
Affinity: 13 internets, 2 roods on credit, 68 roods claimed
_infina_: 4 internets, 4 roods on credit, 36 roods claimed
alexriehl: 4 internets, 40 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
JonR: 4 internets, 40 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
turret: 2 internets, 20 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
kerfuffleninja: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
skellious: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
e^ipi+1=0: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Quate: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
snowyowl: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
neoliminal: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Boreeas: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
NecklaceOfShadow: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
ostrichguy: 1 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Last edited by Affinity on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:25 am UTC, edited 33 times in total.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:22 am UTC

(Avatar by Sungura)

skellious

Postby skellious » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC

We also need a rule to allow anyone to post the revised ruleset, perhaps?

Affinity

Postby Affinity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

I... I forgot to put in the part about the votes being from different players. Sorry. Ugh.

Alternatively, now that we have a chairman, we can just drop the issue.

I make a motion to, in the event that "Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting" passes, replace the first three sentences of rule §004 with "If at any point there are three votes from three different players in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes from three different players against a motion, the motion fails." This motion supersedes "Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Affinity's motion to fix Affinity's other motion.

I cast my vote in favor of Affinity's motion to fix Affinity's other motion.

turret

Postby turret » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

*accidental double vote*
Last edited by e^iπ+1=0 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by Sungura)

turret

Postby turret » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

Pretty sure you just voted twice there, e

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Oops, yep. I'll edit it out.

(Avatar by Sungura)

skellious

Postby skellious » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

sup?

I think nothing got passed cause the rules were not ammended...

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for.

I cast my vote in favor of Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting.
Affinity's motion to eliminate unnecessary voting passes.

Consequently e^iπ+1=0's motion to prevent self-voting without self-voting on it and e^iπ+1=0's motion to tidy up self-vote motions also pass.

I make a motion to add a new rule with the following text: "No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions.

I make a motion to amend rule §005 to read: "Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snowyowl's motion to make sure Kerfuffleninja doesn't get any nasty ideas.

I cast my vote in favor of Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions.
I cast my vote in favor of Snowyowl's motion to make sure Kerfuffleninja doesn't get any nasty ideas.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

skellious

Postby skellious » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 am UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Snowyowl's motion to make sure Kerfuffleninja doesn't get any nasty ideas.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:42 am UTC

I cast my vote in favor of neoliminal's motion to retroactively make a motion approved.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 am UTC

I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

I make a motion that all players have a property called "number of internets". All players receive one internet upon making their first post in this thread; all players who have made at least one post before the passing of this motion (if it passes) also gain one internet when the motion passes. Whenever a player's number of internets is changed, a list of all players' internet-counts is posted in a spoiler tag, in decreasing order of internet-counts. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as coolguy5678's motion to create currency.

Affinity

Postby Affinity » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 am UTC

Snowyowl's motion to make sure Kerfuffleninja doesn't get any nasty ideas passes.

Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions passes.

I cast my vote in favor of coolguy5678's motion to create currency.

(Also updated the list of motions in my first post, in case people pay attention to that.)

Did I miss something with Neoliminal's posts? I don't see any motion to retroactively make a motion approved, and also nothing about an executive decision.

...Is somebody being clever?

Edit: err, revised ruleset.
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:
If at any point there are three votes in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes against a motion, the motion fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

§005:
Kerfuffleninja is the chairman. Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions.

Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching:

Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions:
No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion." For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions.

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am UTC

I make a motion to change the text "[in favor of/against]" in §003 to "[in favor of/in favour of/against]". For the purposes of voting, this motion will be referred to as coolguy5678's motion to acknowledge that there are, in fact, countries other than America.

I cast my vote in favor of coolguy5678's motion to create currency.
I cast my vote in favor of coolguy5678's motion to acknowledge that there are, in fact, countries other than America.
(forgot I can vote for my own...)

Return to “Forum Games”