Nomic 15.0

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

John Citizen

Re: Nomic 15.0

Postby John Citizen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:30 am UTC

Why, of course we'll accept you.

I think that the land claim rule takes precedence, as it is older (I think). Just watch that you don't take claimed land not already updated.

Now we just need Ostrichguy to post, and we can begin.

(Happy new year, but I don't think that it counts)
"Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation"
yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Great!
I guess I can claim the land until the game officially resumes though, right?
I'm sorry if I end up being too much of a newbie. Am still not finished reading through the whole 9 pages, which I do intend on doing since this is my first nomic game ever (after a long search of a nice place to join).

ostrichguy

Postby ostrichguy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Here I am.

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

I'll remove the motion from the ruleset now, and make a new motion.

I make a motion to define an occupation. After a nomic year passes, the person who updated the map (including space maps) the most times is given the title "Controller of the Map", and is immediately awarded 10 internets. This occupation is renewed every year. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's motion to encourage map updates.

Ruleset:
Spoiler:
§0: The Chairman and other Official Titles

§0.1: Official Titles:
An official title is defined as a group of responsibilities and rewards associated with a name. Official titles are redistributed on a yearly basis, unless explicitly stated otherwise. Official titles may be awarded for any singular reason, including but not limited to: obtaining the most votes, having the most internets, updating the map most frequently or proposing the most motions. Official titles are associated with one and only one player at any one time, and each player may only have one official title. Current official titles are the Chairman and the Manager of the NCD.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to define occupations; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§0.2: Duties of the chairman:
Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions.
(Dates from kerfuffleninja's motion to ensure stable gameplay)
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as coolguy5678's first motion; to make the Chairman someone active; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to get a new Chairman; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, thorgold, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

§0.3: Election of the chairman:
The Chairman of the nomic is an elected position. The election process will run in the year in which this motion is passed ("the Year"). A player may declare themselves a candidate by placing in bolded italics "I declare myself a candidate for the position of the Chairman of the Nomic." In likewise manner they can withdraw from the race by stating "I withdraw my candidacy." Candadicy may be declared until the end of the Year. Voting shall be done in the form "I vote <playername> for Chairman of the Nomic." Voting begins at the beginning of, and ends at the end of, the year after the Year. The Chairman shall be the candidate with the greatest number of votes.
(Proposed by Turiski as Turiski's motion to get a new Chairman; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, thorgold, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

§0.4: The Manager of the NCD:
The position of Manager of the Nomic Capital District has the duty of keeping the Nomic Estate with a positive cash flow. The manager may establish a trading relationship with any foreign Nomic Entities for 1 Nomic year, after which a vote of active players must pass as a motion to allow further trade. This position is an elective position, with a term of 4 Nomic Years. The election process will run in the year prior to the start of the Manager's term. A player may declare themselves a candidate by placing in bolded italics "I declare myself a candidate for the position of Manger of the Nomic Capital District." In likewise manner they can withdraw from the race by stating "I withdraw my candidacy." Candadicy may be declared until the half-point (20th post) of the year prior to the next term. Voting shall be done in the form "I vote <playername> for Manager of the Nomic Capital District." The Chairman may choose to either appoint a votecounter, or count the votes himself. The position Assistant to the Manager of the Nomic Capital District will be the Candidate that places second in the voting and will fill in for the manager when on vacation or if the Manager becomes inactive. The Manager shall be the candidate with the greatest number of votes.
(Proposed by infina as "infina's Manager Motion"; Approved by infina, John Citizen, Krawl, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§1: Currency

§1.1: Definitions:

§1.1.1: The Internet:
All players have a property called "number of internets". All players receive one internet upon making their first post in this thread. Whenever a player's number of internets is changed, a list of all players' internet-counts is posted in a spoiler tag, in decreasing order of internet-counts. To represent fractional amounts, the sub-internet is the official unit, with a value of 1/10 of an internet. Internets are represented by the ¤ (Alt+0164) symbol, and sub-internets as decimals of the number of internets (e.g. ¤10.5).
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to create currency"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)
(Amended by OstrichGuy's motion to subdivide currency)
(Amended by HarvesteR's motion to notate currency)

§1.1.2: Compoundability Terms:A "bonus" is any internets given to or taken from a player as a percentage of the "principal," a specific gain or loss of internets. A bonus (to be called “A” through this rule) may be “compoundable” with another bonus (“B”). This term means that B’s bonus is calculated on both the principal and A, or vice versa. Compoundability is non-transitive. A may also be “non-compoundable” with B, in which case the bonuses are not calculated on each other; this is also non-transitive. If not explicitly stated, bonuses are assumed to be non-compoundable with each other.

A is called “non-compoundable” if it is non-compoundable with any other bonus. It is called “fully compoundable” if it is compoundable with every other bonus acting on the same principal. For both of these definitions, “other bonuses” include bonuses implemented after A’s creation. If a motion intends to make a bonus compoundable with a non-compoundable bonus, or non-compoundable with a fully compoundable bonus, it will be required to change the definition of the original bonus to reflect this. Otherwise, even if the exception is explicitly stated on the motion or in a rule it creates, the existing description will hold.
(Proposed by Turiski as "Turiski's motion to define compoundability"; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, MatteoTom, thorgold; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

§1.2: Definition of Resources:
The term "resources" (currently) means internets and roods (see section §4). Furthermore, no action may be performed that causes any of a player's resources to become negative.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to simplify resource transactions"; Approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§1.3: Transfer of Resources between players:
Players may give any positive amount of their resources to any other player for whatever reason they wish.
(Originally "coolguy5678's motion to promote the Christmas spirit")
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to promote Christmas spirit"; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§1.4: Chairman's reward:
The Chairman is permitted to grant internets to persons who have been of exemplary value in the community, at the discretion of the Chairman. The Chairman is unable to award himself/herself internets, but internets can still be given to the Chairman by Rule §1.3. The Chairman is only permitted to award 5 internets per week. Any internets beyond that will be charged to the Chairman as per Rule §1.3. Internets granted under this rule may be revoked, as per the procedure outlined in Rule §0.1.
(Proposed by alexriehl as "alexriehl's revised motion to grant currency-based rewards"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, _infina_; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)

§2: Nomic Time

§2.1: Definition of Nomic Time:
A page on this thread represents the passage of one year in Nomic Time.
(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "OstrichGuy's motion to make years pretty long"; Approved by OstrichGuy, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

§2.2: Inactive players list:
Players who haven't posted in a week shall be moved to the inactive player list.
(Proposed by infina as infina's motion to define activity, Approved by Affinity, infina, JonR; opposed by HarvesteR; edited by HarvesteR, coolguy5678

§2.3: Double-post prevention:
Anyone who double-posts three or more times in the same thread page is fined one internet for each double-post after the first two, which go to the Nomic Estate. A double-post is defined as two consecutive posts by the same user; three consecutive posts are considered two double posts, four consecutive posts as three double-posts, and so on.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to stop people from single-handedly accelerating time"; Approved by coolguy5678, ostrichguy, bkwinner; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

§2.4: Vacations:
If a player declares in bold an italics, "I am taking the next [one or two] weeks off, then that amount of time is not counted towards the amount of time required to be considered inactive. Players are given 2 weeks off per real-world year, which may be used as either two one-week vacations or one two-week vacation.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to allow vacations"; Approved by ostrichguy, Krawl, sina wile toki moku, MartinW, HarvesteR; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to facilitate the removal of grammatical errors; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, bkwinner, Krawl; Opposed by no one)

§2.5: Real Time:
Any in-game event may be described using real time. Real time is always taken to be GMT.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to create real time, approved by John Citizen, opposed by no one)

§3: Motions and Rule-making

§3.1: Motions:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.
(In original ruleset)

§3.2: Creating Motions:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule §002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."
(In original ruleset)

§3.3: Voting:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/in favour of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammer Nazis from developing a nervous twitch." People are not forced to type down the entire motion summary.
(In original ruleset)
(Amended by turret through "turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for"; approved by turret, snowyowl, JonR; opposed by kerfuffleninja, Affinity; edited by HarvesteR)

§3.3.1: Conditional Voting:
Players are allowed to make conditional votes: votes that only take effect if a set of conditions is met.
Conditional votes are to be cast in the following manner:
I cast my vote [in favor|favour of/against] [motion] if [condition]
If (condition) is true, then the vote counts. Otherwise (If the condition is false/undetermined), it doesn't.
(Proposed by bkwinner as "bkwinner's motion to allow conditional votes"; Approved by bkwinner, Krawl, sina wile toki moku, MartinW; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

3.3.2: Abstaining:
Any player may abstain from a vote by stating "I wish to abstain from voting on [motion's name]." Abstaining counts as voting, so if every player votes for, against, or abstains from a motion, the motion can be immediately resolved. Since abstaining is voting, abstainers will be rewarded Internets as stated in §3.6, as long §3.6 gives Internets for voting.
Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to allow abstaining"; Approved by MatteoTom, Turiski, John Citizen, _infina_, thorgold; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

§3.4: Prevention of obvious, redundant votes:
Whenever a someone makes a motion, he automatically and implicitly casts a vote in favour of it. This can be cancelled by explicitly stating, in bold and italics, "I do not cast my vote in (favour|favor) of [motion name]", or by casting a vote against the motion.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's second motion; to reduce obvious, redundant votes"; Approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§3.5: Editing of Motions:
A motion-maker may edit the text of a motion by stating, and bold and italics,
"I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby edit [name of motion] to:
(new motion text)
"
All votes for the old motion are kept, unless the meaning is significantly changed, as determined by the chairman (this decision can be overruled as per §0.1), in which case the votes are repealed. Motions may not be edited if they already have the number of votes necessary for approval/rejection. In addition to editing motions, a player may also split and combine motions. A split motion becomes two motions, each containing a portion of the original motion. Players may only split motions if this would not put them over the limit of active motions. If two motions are combined, they fuse to become a single motion. The votes on the original motion(s) count for half value on any new motions created by splitting or combining motions.
(Amended by bkwinner as bkwinner's motion to increase our abilities with motions; Approved by bkwinner, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by Krawl)
(Proposed by bkwinner as "bkwinner's motion to edit motions"; Approved by bkwinner, HarvesteR, Krawl, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by coolguy5678, MartinW, TheFudge; Edited by coolguy5678)
(Amended by bkwinner as bkwinner's motion to increase our abilities with motions; Approved by bkwinner, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by Krawl)

§3.6: Termination (approval or denial) of Motions:
All motions run for 96 hours. Any active motions made before this shall be put on a 96 hour limit starting when this vote passes. Once that many hours are done, the motion's votes are tallied. If more or an equal amount oppose the motion than approve, it fails. Otherwise, it passes. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, any with official powers to do so must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. Although already approved, A rule and/or amendment shall not be considered as in effect until the revised ruleset is posted. All voters shall receive 1 internet each. Any motion must have at least two votes in favour to pass.
(Dates from original ruleset; amended)
(In original ruleset; Amended by HarvesteR through "HarvesteR's motion to reduce confusion over rule §004" (approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by Affinity through Affinity's motion to make passage requirements elastic)
(Amended by MartinW through "MartinW's motion to reduce vote apathy"; approved by MartinW, TheFudge, Ostrichguy, John Citizen; opposed by bkwinner)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to disallow the passing of single-vote motions"; approved by John Citizen; opposed by nobody)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to reward minorities"; approved by John Citizen, Thorgold, Turiski; opposed by nobody; edited by John Citizen)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to chronologically extend motions"; approved by John Citizen, Thorgold, Turiski; opposed by nobody)

§3.7: Repetition of Failed Motions:
If a motion for whatever reason does not pass, that motion or any equivalent motion (determined by the chairman) cannot be re-proposed for 96 hours real time. Reasons for a motion not passing include but are not limited to: the motion being terminated by the proposer (§3.15), the motion not receiving enough votes (§3.6), or the motion being voted as ridiculous (§3.18). If a motion fails four times, it cannot be re-submitted without consent from the chairman (which can possibly be received by stating the reason you want to re-submit and asking nicely), unless other changes significantly change the effect of the motion.
(Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to prevent spam"; Approved by MatteoTom, Turiski, John Citizen, _infina_, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

§3.8: Reward for Motion approval:
Those who have their motions approved shall be rewarded with 1 (one) internet per vote in favor received, less 1 (one) internet per vote against received. In this fashion, one who has a motion approved will receive an amount of internets proportional to the general acceptance of his proposed motion. (e.g. If one has a motion passed with 3 votes in favor and 2 votes against, said one shall receive 1 internet). Internets shall only be granted once the motion has been effectively approved, and correctly followed through with appropriate insertion on, and/or revision of the ruleset. In the event that a motion is denied, internets shall neither be given nor taken.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to reward meritous contributions"; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to facilitate the removal of grammatical errors; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, bkwinner, Krawl; Opposed by no one)

§3.9: Maintaining the ruleset:
All motions to create rules approved shall be/must be automatically added to the existing ruleset under an appropriate chapter and number.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to maintain a coherent ruleset"; approved by HarvesteR, Boreeas, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§3.10: Keeping the ruleset coherent:
All rules appended to the original ruleset are required to be reworded so as to remove unnecessary sentences regarding obsolete voting, such as 'for the purposes of voting...'. This rule also requires that in any case in which a rule refers to itself as a 'motion', it must be reworded so as to emphasize and maintain the semantic difference between a motion and a rule. The extent of this rule is limited to such rewording and editing, and prohibits the altering of rules in any way that might distort, omit or otherwise modify the implied or explicitly stated content of its previous form as a motion. It extends as far as modifying the wording of a rule to append information about its creator and originating motion in order to preserve its history.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance and further improve the coherence of the ruleset"; approved by alexriehl, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§3.11: Prevention of page-stretching:
The revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching.
(Proposed by Quate as "Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching"; approved by Quate, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§3.12: Statement of Motion termination:
All terminated motions, regardless of the outcome of the vote, are required to be announced in the following form:
For approved motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes in favor, and it passes.
This motion has been approved with # votes in favor, # against. [username] shall receive {see rule §3.8} internets for his(her) meritous contribution."

For denied motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes against, and is hereby denied."
It is required that, upon posting of the revised ruleset, the ruleset-reviser precede his new submission with the above announcement, so that it is clear for all participants that a new revision of the ruleset has been submitted. Observance of other rules regarding ruleset presentation shall still apply.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance motion termination verbosity"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§3.13: Prevention of contradictions:
No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion.
(Proposed by snowyowl as "Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions"; approved by snowyowl, skellious, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by snowyowl)

§3.14: Active Motions list:
Along with the revised ruleset, a list of motions still open to voting is to be placed in any post that updates the ruleset.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to keep a list of active motions"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to rearrange responsibility for active motions"; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

§3.15: Self-cancellation of Motions:
The Motion-maker is granted official power to cancel a motion of his own making that is currently under vote. This shall be done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby terminate [name of motion]. As of this moment, this motion is no longer under vote and shall be removed and forgotten." This shall completely terminate the open motion. Being granted power to remove a motion does not imply that the power-holder is compelled to follow through. The Chairman does not have authority to grant this power unto himself, being also required to rely on the group consensus.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to remove and forget obsolete motions"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§3.16: Active Motions limit:
No player is allowed to have more than 3 open motions at any time. Any motion proposed after the 3rd shall be ignored.
(Proposed by JonR as "JonR's 2nd motion; to curb excessive motion proposals"; approved by HarvesteR, _infina_, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§3.17: Immediate Resolution of Motions:
If at any time a motion has been voted upon by every active player, and if the motion has not at that point obtained the necessary amount of votes to be either passed or denied, then the motion will immediately be resolved. In the case of a tie in votes, the motion will be denied.
(Proposed by thorgold as thorgold's motion to immediately resolve motions; Approved by thorgold, Turiski, MatteoTom; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

§3.18: Ridiculous Motions:
In addition to voting in favor/in favour/against a motion, a poster may declare a motion "Ridiculous". This is done by, in bold and italic, stating "I declare (motion x) to be ridiculous". If a majority of active players votes a motion to be ridiculous, the motion is immediately removed. In addition, the poster of the motion is fined in internets the number of "Ridiculous" votes, minus the number of votes in favor/in favour of a motion, to a maximum of their total number of internets.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to penalise particularly bad motions; Approved by John Citizen, bkwinner, Turiski, Krawl; Opposed by coolguy5678)

§4: The Nomic Estate and Land

§4.1: Definitions:

§4.1.1: Land and Roods:
The Nomic Estate, represented by a dummy player, holds land. This land is subdivided into 2560 roods.
(Proposed by _infina_ as "infina's motion to create land"; approved by _infina_, alexriehl, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§4.1.2: Adjacency Terms
A rood is called “connected to” another rood if the former is immediately north, south, east, or west of the latter, or there are roads, railroads, or shipping routes directly connecting the two.
A rood is called “nearby” another rood if the former is immediately northeast, southeast, northwest, southwest, north, south, east, or west of the latter.
A rood is called “local to” another rood if it is both connected to and nearby the latter.
Any development of a rood (e.g. a city, factory, etc.) takes on the above properties of the rood it is built on. If a single development exists over multiple roods (e.g. a farm, etc.), it takes the properties of every rood it exists over.
A collection C of objects is called “connected” if, for any two objects (a,b) in C, there is a subcollection D containing the two objects, so that every object in D is connected to exactly two other objects in D, except for the two objects (a,b), which are each connected to exactly one.
C is called “near” if the above holds replacing “connected to” with “nearby,” or “local” if it holds replacing “connected to” with “local to.”
(Proposed by Turiski as "Turiski's motion to define compoundability"; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, John Citizen, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

§4.2: Purchase of Land from the Nomic Estate:
At any point, a player may declare, "I buy [n] roods from the Nomic Estate", where n is less than or equal to the number of roods remaining in the Nomic estate. The player immediate gains n roods and loses n sub-internets, which are added to the Nomic estate's internet supply. Roods transferred between players are not restricted by this motion's exchange rate.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to set an exchange rate"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)
(Amended by ostrichguy's motion to allow roods to be purchased individually)

§4.3: Mapping of the Land:
All land in existence shall be mapped on a 64 by 40 tile grid, each tile of which represents a land rood. Land-buyers, as they purchase more land, must update this map so that it reflects the change in territory ownership. The map shall be posted at each new map update, contained in a spoiler tag. Each land-owner must represent his estate with a unique color, so that his territory is well defined.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to map out the land"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§4.4: Claiming Land (Prevention of ownership conflicts):
Each prospective land buyer, prior to purchasing any land, be it from the Nomic Estate or from another land-owner, must declare his intent to do so in the following manner, in bold and italics: 'I hereby claim the land located at [location of roods]'. The purpose of this rule is to prevent conflicts over land ownership in the event that another players claim the same rood, before the map of ownership could be updated.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to prevent land ownership conflicts"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§4.5: Update Requirement for Land Claims:
No player may claim, purchase, or modify any land, owned or unowned, if the map has not been updated for a week or more. Any action that modifies the map in any way, visibly or invisibly, shall be ignored until the map is updated.
(Proposed by John Citizen as "John Citizen's motion to force regular map updates"; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by thorgold through Thorgold's Motion to prevent map update overload; Approved by thorgold, John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

§4.6: Connection of territory, Roads and Railroads:
All of an individual's territory must be connected. Players may build a train track for 5 Internets, regardless of its length. Players may build a road for 1 internet per 10 grid squares it crosses. If the railroad is made through another individual's territory, the money paid will go to that individual. Players build a road/railroad by stating: "I build a [road/railroad] at [locations]. If it passes through multiple other individuals' territories, the people who's territory it goes through will split the Internets proportionally to how much is in each of their territories. Each player may only receive a whole number of sub-internets; the remainder shall go to the active players with the lowest number of internets, such that no players receiving a nonzero number of internets in this transaction receive more than ¤0.1 more than any other such players. The individuals' whose territory is passed through all must consent to the building of the railroad or road for it to be built, by stating "I consent to [name]'s building of a [road/railroad] at [location's]".

A distinction shall be made between "not consenting" and "disapproving" to a proposal: an individual with the authority to consent may also disapprove, by replacing in the above statement the words "I consent to" with "I disapprove of". A player disapproves by default if they do not respond appropriately within two Nomic years (If a player is or goes on vacation, their vacation time is not counted toward this restriction). In the event that such an individual disapproves, the builder may state (with a similar allowance for vacation) within one Nomic year “In light of recent disapproval, I amend my proposal to build at [old locations], and build instead at [new locations].” Then, the consenting individuals will remain consenting to only the same player building the railroads at only the same locations. Specifically:
a) The new locations may not be the same, in their entirety, as the old locations.
b) If the new locations cover different parts consenter’s land than the old locations, the consenter has the opportunity to not consent to the difference (and it shall be assumed that they give neither consent nor disapproval until either they make a further statement of the form outlined above, or they disapprove by default).
c) If the new locations demand the approval of additional individuals, all of them must consent as well before the building will finish.
d) The consenter does not consent to additional proposals made, either by others or the same individual.
(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "Ostrichguy's motion to connect territory"; Approved by ostrichguy, JonR, bkwinner; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by MartinW's motion to extend on the rules of building roads and railroads)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to remove ambiguity in multi-individual road purchasing; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, Krawl; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to enable negotiation of road purchases; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, Krawl; Opposed by no one)

§4.7: Requirements of Land ownership:
Players who own land are required to have at least 1 (one) rood of open land on their domains at all times. A domain with less than 2 (two) open roods cannot have cities or other buildings built onto it.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to prevent map clutter and technical problems no one wants to fix"; Approved by HarvesteR, Infina, coolguy5678, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by TheFudge)

§4.8: Penalty for inactivity:
After a player has been on the inactive list for three weeks, their land is returned to the Nomic Estate. This action happens automatically, and the next player to update the map must remove their claim.
(Proposed by infina as infina's motion to penalize inactivity; Approved by Affinity, infina, JonR; opposed by HarvesteR; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to create space on the map;" Approved by John Citizen, Turiski, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

§4.9: Settlements:
Players may announce the foundation of a settlement in their own land. The first settlement is free of charge, but subsequent settlements have a cost of 3 internets. Players shall announce the foundation of a settlement in the following form, in bold and italics: "I announce the foundation of [name of settlement] in [player domain's name], located at [map coordinates]".
(Proposed by HarvesteR as HarvesteR's motion to colonize the land; Approved by HarvesteR, Affinity, ostrichguy; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§4.10: Cities and the Capital City:
A player may declare any settlement in his land a city, but doing so will cost 3 more internets. To declare a settlement a city, the announcement must be in bold and italics and read: "I declare [name of settlement] a city." The capital city of a player's domain is the first settlement promoted to a city. The capital city generates twice the resources of a regular city. A player may transfer the capital of his domain to another city (not settlement) at the cost of another 3 internets. Transferring a capital shall be done by announcing in bold and italics: "I transfer the capital of [name of domain] to the city of [name of city]".
(Proposed by HarvesteR as HarvesteR's motion to colonize the land; Approved by HarvesteR, Affinity, ostrichguy; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by coolguy5678 as coolguy5678's motion to make the capital city awesome; Approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, JonR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

§4.11: Farmlands and Factories:
Players may convert tiles in their territory into farmland or factories for the cost of 1 Internet per 3 tiles of land converted. At the end of each Nomic Year, not including the one during which the tiles were converted, players receive 1 Internet per 3 tiles of farmland and 1 Internet per 2 tiles of factories.A “farm” is a local collection of farmland, and a “manufacturing area” is a local collection of factories. Each manufacturing area or farm must be connected to a city.
(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "OstrichGuy's motion to make territory actually have a purpose"; Approved by ostrichguy, bkwinner, HarvesteR; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR; Amended by executive decision from The Chairman)

§4.12: Water and Buildings
Several tiles, both in the Nomic Empire and Nomic Sea, are half land, half water. Mandatory precautions must be taken on these, in the form of increasing the cost of all buildings built on shorlines by 50%, save shipyards.
(Proposed by Thorgold as "Thorgold's "Building's dont Float" Motion"; Approved by Thorgold, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

§4.13: Mining Towns:
Any settlement that isn't a city may be converted into a Mining Town for 3 internets. If a manufacturing area is connected to a mining town, its yearly income is increased by 15%. A single manufacturing area can only earn this bonus once.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to create mining towns."; Approved by coolguy5678, bkwinner, MartinW, TheFudge; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

§4.14: Farms Supply to Factories:
If a farm is connected to a manufacturing area, then the income of the manufacturing area is increased by 0.5% for each rood in the farm, up to a maximum of 15%. This is non-compoundable with the bonus given by a mining town.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to make farms supply to factories."; Approved by coolguy5678, bkwinner, MartinW, Ostrichguy; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

§4.15: The Nomic Capital District:
The rectangle with corners (O,14) and (Z,24) is the Nomic Capital District. NCD is the proper abbreviation for Nomic Capital District. At (U,19) will be Nomic City, the capital of the Nomic Empire. Players may propose to build settlements, farmland, factories, or other structures allowed by law in the NCD. In addition, a new type of building, a bank, may be built. A bank costs 10 Internets. 2 Internets are spent building it, while the other 8 go to the banks funds. Players may borrow money from the bank, but must pay it back, plus 20% interest each Nomic Year, including the one during which the money was borrowed. Players may deposit Internets in the bank, and will receive 10% interest per Nomic Year, not including the one during which the money was deposited. Both of these interests are non-compoundable. If a bank runs out of money, players must vote on whether or not to give enough of the Nomic Estate's money to the bank in order to keep it going. If not, the bank fails, and the players who have money in the bank will not be paid back. When players wish to propose the production of something in the NCD, they may do so by stating, in italics and bold, "I propose we turn [area in Nomic Capital District] into [type of land or structure]. This will cost us [number of Internets this would cost] Internets." It will be voted on in the same manner as motions are, but the contributor will not recive Internets for his/her contribution. Anything built in the NCD will be paid for using money from the Nomic Estate's fund.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to give our empire a capital."; Approved by ostrichguy, Krawl, TheFudge, coolguy5678; Opposed by MartinW; Edited by HarvesteR)

§4.16: Trading Cities:
Players may upgrade cities to Trading Cities for ¤3. If one player's trading city is connected to a different player's trading city, both players earn ¤3 in each year after the year in which the trading cities are first connected (or ¤6, if a Trading City is additionally the Capital City). Each Trading City may only be connected to one other Trading City. Each player may only be in a trading relationship with each other player once, but there is no limit on the number of players a player may trade with.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "Coolguy5678's motion to promote co-operation through Trading Cities"; Approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, bkwinner, TheFudge; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

§4.17: The Nomic Sea:
The Nomic Estate extends to row 80. South of row 40 is the Nomic Sea. Scattered throughout the sea are islands. Players may not claim, or build settlements or other structure on tiles of the sea, other than ones that contain islands. Boats are an exception, and may be built on the water. On any land bordering the Nomic Sea, players may build shipyards for the cost of ¤1.5. If a player has a shipyard, he/she may build a boat on any water adjacent to the shipyard for ¤0.5. Ships are not stationary, and may move 20 tiles per Nomic year. This movement may be performed any time in the year, not just at the end. Any water over which a boat has passed becomes a shipping route. When a boat moves over an already existing shipping route, this does not count towards its yearly movement count. Players currently have three weeks to create and propose ideas for where the islands should be located, and vote on the submissions. At the end of those three weeks (on 13 February), whichever map received the most votes shall be added to the official one, and the ruleset will be updated to express that the Nomic Sea exists officially.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to explore the sea"; Approved by Ostrichguy, _infina_, John Citizen, coolguy5678, Turiski; Opposed by no one; Edited by coolguy5678)

§4.18: Special Division of the Shoreline:
No player may own more than 5 roods on the sea border between the Nomic Estate and the Nomic Sea.
The border between the Estate and Sea is defined as any rood that is directly connected to the Estate by land and borders water on the Sea (either on the top or bottom of the Nomic Estate, as in §4.23).
Any player who owns more than 5 roods on the border will have 1 Nomic year from when this motion is passed to sell the roods to the Nomic Estate, at rate of ¤0.1 per rood (the normal rate), or another player. The player has the option of selling as many roods bordering the waterfront as they would like. If a player does not comply, they will be fined ¤2 per every rood bordering the Sea greater than five per Nomic Year. A player is fined all their Internets if they do not have enough Internets to pay the fine.
(Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to reduce monopolies at sea"; Approved by MatteoTom, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one, edited by Turiski)

§4.19: Definition of Produce:
Produce is produced by farms at a rate of 100 produce/rood of farm per year. To sell the produce, it must be connected to a settlement, city, or Capital City with a market, which can be upgrade from a settlement, city or Capital City at the cost of ¤2. For each farm, the internets earned from selling produce shall be defined by the formula ¤=6*sqrt(x), where x is the number of roods in the farm (rounded to the nearest sub-internet). This shall be multiplied by 2 for capital cities, and by 2/3 for settlements. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's second motion to prevent game-breaking incomes.
(Proposed by _infina_ as _infina_'s motion to create markets; Approved by _infina_, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by coolguy5678, Krawl)
(Amended by John Citizen through John Citizen's second motion to prevent game-breaking incomes; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§4.20: Corporations:
A player may own one and only one corporation. A corporation has associated cities for which its effects occur. A corporation must always have at least one associated city. No two corporations may have the same name.
A player may found a corporation by declaring, in bold and italics: "I declare the founding of [name] corporation in [city]." This action costs 3 internets. A player can also spread a corporation to any city (not just their own) within a radius of 25 grid units (measured by Pythagoreas' theorem, rounded down). This is done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I spread [corporation] from [city] to [city]". This does not remove the corporation from the original city. A player spreading a corporation must own the city that the corporation is spreading from, though not necessarily the corporation itself. Spreading a corporation costs 2 internets.
A player can remove a corporation from one of their cities by paying 2.5 internets to the player owning the corporation. If the player owning the city also owns the corporation, they must still pay 1 internet (not to themselves). This is done by declaring, in bold and italics, "I remove [corporation] from [city]." If at any time this action causes a corporation to have no associated cities, the corporation ceases to exist.
A corporation increases the profit of the city it is in and every nearby tile by 20%, rounded to the nearest sub-internet. This is applied after all other bonuses. If the owner of the city does not own the corporation, 50% (rounded to the nearest sub-internet) of the bonus resulting from the corporation goes to the owner of the corporation, with the rest going to the owner of the city.
A city may contain more than one corporation, but the bonus from each is not cumulative; that is to say, the bonus is calculated from the value without any corporations for each corporation present.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to create corporations; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§4.21: Fishing:
When the sea has been added to the Empire, once a player has built a shipyard, they may build fishing boats, for 5 sub-internets each. A fishing boat will catch 50 fish every nomic year, which may be sold at the markets or traded to other players, as seen fit.
(Proposed by Krawl as Krawl's motion to introduce fishing; Approved by Krawl, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

§4.22: Toroidiality:
Edge squares can be considered to be nearby the three squares, and local to the one square, on the opposite edge, in the manner of a toroid.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to circumnavigate the globe; Approved by John Citizen; opposed by no one)

§5: New Players

§5.1: Initial roods:
Each player to join the game will begin with ten roods of land in addition to his/her starting internet. Roods awarded in this manner shall be deducted from the Nomic estate's rood supply.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to award initial roods"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§5.2: Immigration Form:
An immigration form, of sorts, is given to formalize the entry of new players and ensure proper integration into the Empire. Three sets of data will be provided in the first post of every new player:
1. Player introduction, to provide any personal details of oneself and reasons for joining the Nomic Empire;
2. Oath that they, the new player, acknowledge and agree to obey the Ruleset;
3. Location of land claim, written to comply with rules §5.1 and §4.3.
(Proposed by Thorgold as Thorgold's Player Introduction Motion; Approved by Thorgold, John Citizen; opposed by Turiski; edited by Turiski)

§6: Space

§6.1: Worlds: (pre-establishment):
The nomic map is just one of many maps available for land purchases. Any player may submit a map design of any size and geometry, along with a name, and votes shall be cast for these in the same manner as for motion voting. This will continue until 3 weeks after a minimum of 5 maps have been submitted. The five maps with the highest number of votes shall become the planets in the Nomic star system, and will be established simultaneously with §6.2.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to initiate a space race; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by MatteoTom through MatteoTom's motion to make a long rule readable; Proposed by MatteoTom; Approved by MatteoTom, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§6.2: Orbital Map: (pre-establishment):
Simultaneously to the process described in §6.1, players may submit an orbital map. An orbital map is a device to define distances (measured in nAU), and may be of any explicitly defined form, as long as distances between each world are defined (10 distances total). Distances may be variable, but must be periodic over either real time or nomic time. Voting for an orbital map shall take place in the same manner as in §6.1, with the exception that only one map is required. The orbital map shall be established once maps described in both §6.1 and §6.2 are decided upon.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to initiate a space race; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by MatteoTom through MatteoTom's motion to make a long rule readable; Proposed by MatteoTom; Approved by MatteoTom, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

§6.3: Planetary Index:
A concept known as planetary index exists. A planetary index indicates key statistics of each world, and is divided into two numbers known as habitability and productivity. These are used to calculate costs and incomes respectively, and are evaluated from the base values as such: total cost = (base cost / habitability) and total income = (base income * productivity). Habitability and productivity are both equal to one for the Nomic World. Planetary index for other worlds is chosen by the maker of the map. Both habitability and productivity must be positive rational numbers.

§6.4: Travel:
Any player may build a launch site for a cost of 100 internets. Launch sites may launch one spacecraft per year, for (50 * the current distance of the destination in nAU) internets each. Spacecraft can make a one-time trip to another world, allowing a claim of 1 rood of land there after a delay of (the distance in nAU / 2) nomic years, rounded up. After this trip is complete, the spacecraft ceases to exist. The destination of a spacecraft must be announced on launch, and cannot be changed after this.

§6.5: Land Claims:
A player may only claim roods on a world if they either send a spacecraft there or already own roods on that world (observing other rules). Roods on different worlds are not considered connected - this supersedes rule §4.6. A new player may claim roods on only one world from their initial roods.

§7: Miscellaneous

§7.1: Actions:
An action is an announcement by a player of a change in gamestate. Actions include, but are not limited to: buying land, moving boats, voting, terminating motions and donating internets. All actions must be announced in bold and italics.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to make actions more visible; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom; Opposed by Turiski)

Active Motions:
Spoiler:
John Citizen wrote:I make a motion to define an occupation. After a nomic year passes, the person who updated the map (including space maps) the most times is given the title "Controller of the Map", and is immediately awarded 10 internets. This occupation is renewed every year. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's motion to encourage map updates.

(Proposed by John Citizen; Approved by John Citizen; Opposed by no one)
Voting closes 3 May, 23:12p

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am UTC

I cast my vote in favour of John Citizens' motion to encourage map updates
We certainly need to encourage map updates. Is there an excel file or something for the map? or just the .png?

I hereby claim the land located at U35-V39 (10 roods) as allowed to me for being a new player

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Sun May 01, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

@ Citizen: I'm doing a map revision right now but I'm running into compatibility problems. It's a flash document right now and I know how to import it properly into GIMP (since I understand we all can't have flash at our disposal), but to keep the image unflattened would require a lot of extra work. I've experimented a bit with trying to manipulate it in GIMP, and frankly this block-based approach which works really well in Flash is unnecessarily difficult in GIMP, at least from my limited testing.

@ Lorenz: All we have is a psd right now, it's here. An ecxel-based approach would be pretty sweet, though. If you came up with a concept and a little example (like if you just did your's and thorgold's territory) I'd be willing to do the gruntwork on that.

If anyone else has other ideas which would be easy, I'm open to them.
Approximately 100% of my forum contribution is in Nomic threads! In fact, if you're reading this signature, you probably knew that because you're reading a Nomic thread! But did you know that I've participated in both Nomic 16.0 AND Nomic 15.0? Woah!

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun May 01, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Why, hello again, nomic. Hmmm, I am unsure if I will be able to keep up with this again.
Who, besides me, has had prior access to the game's spreadsheet? I may add someone to it if they can keep track of all the changes that need to be made, and we need it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Mon May 02, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of John Citizen's motion to define an occupation.

I hereby claim the 40 roods of land I have on credit. I'll update the map when I get home; I have no dropbox access at school. If 40 roods aren't availaible, I'll take what I can and leave the rest on credit.

Do I already have a designated color?
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

ostrichguy

Postby ostrichguy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of John Citizen's motion to define an occupation.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Mon May 02, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

axel, if you want to brute force update the map, be my guest, but my revision is getting pretty close; it'll be out tomorrow if not today. You have no designated color that I remember, but I've been using orange for Lorenz, so if you could not use orange that would be much appreciated :)

Unfortunately, you can't just claim roods without saying which ones they are; so we're going to need that information too. I'm pretty sure there are more than 40 continuous roods on the map.

I make a motion to reorganize time. Years 9 and 10 will be combined in the following way: For historical reference, the time on the 9th and 10th page will be called year 9/10. The 361st post did not mark the beginning of a new year. Any development areas or farms made before the 361th post will recieve bonuses after the 400th post; those made after it will recieve bonuses as usual. Year 9/10 acts as one year for the purposes of produce. Voting on the Chairman of the Nomic begins instantly after this motion passes, and ends at the mid-point of year 11; their first duty is to announce the results for the Manager of the NCD. For the purposes of voting, this will be called Turiski's motion to create year 9/10.
Approximately 100% of my forum contribution is in Nomic threads! In fact, if you're reading this signature, you probably knew that because you're reading a Nomic thread! But did you know that I've participated in both Nomic 16.0 AND Nomic 15.0? Woah!

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Turiski wrote:axel, if you want to brute force update the map, be my guest, but my revision is getting pretty close; it'll be out tomorrow if not today. You have no designated color that I remember, but I've been using orange for Lorenz, so if you could not use orange that would be much appreciated :)

Unfortunately, you can't just claim roods without saying which ones they are; so we're going to need that information too. I'm pretty sure there are more than 40 continuous roods on the map.

I cast my vote in favor of Turiski's motion to create year 9/10. Also, you're right. To make things easy on myself, The roods which I claimed previously (2 posts ago) lie between A1 and J4. No, I won't brute-force the map right now. I like blue, but any available color will work. Hopefully we'll eventually have a flash-based map that we can mark down lines on easily... Of course, that would take a LOT of work. And I'm terrible at coding.. Anyway...

(Edited for continuity.)
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Wed May 04, 2011 3:43 am UTC

Alright, map done. Whew.
EDIT: Almost. The map doesn't say that the pink territory is mine. However, from history this is well-implied (by color, locations, and city names) so this should not cause map changes to violate §4.6.

@ alex: I didn't include your update because I bought most of that land already, and also you can't own that much land on row 1 because of §4.18. Your stuff is in the network, though, and it will be really easy to add you in.

@ all: So what I haven't done is converted it into an updatable format yet. If anyone would like it, I can convert it, but I can't promise that will be fast. The current map is attached, and if you own Flash you can find the file here. Frame 1 is the image I took and frame 10 shows all of the toys I created along with some basic instructions.

If you like this, I can keep doing it, but it would basically demand that every space map has 17x17 tiles. Not a big restriction, but one which you would need to be aware of.

I, as motion-maker, hereby edit Turiski's motion to create year 9/10 to:
I make a motion to reorganize time. Years 9 and 10 will be combined in the following way: For historical reference, the time on the 9th and 10th page will be called year 9/10. The 361st post did not mark the beginning of a new year. Any development areas or farms made before the 361th post will receive incomes after the 400th post; those made after it will receive incomes as usual. Year 9/10 acts as one year for the purposes of produce as well as income from farms and factories, and any bonuses on them. Voting on the Chairman of the Nomic begins instantly after this motion passes, and ends at the mid-point of year 11; their first duty is to announce the results for the Manager of the NCD. At the moment this motion passes, all players with land claims at the moment Infinia's suspension motion was passed are treated as if they just changed the gamestate, for the purposes of inactivity. For the purposes of voting, this will be called Turiski's motion to create year 9/10.

I did some clarification on active players, fixed a technical point about income, and fixed spelling.
Attachments
map[5-3].png

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:59 am UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Turiski's motion to create year 9/10

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favour of Turiski's motion to create year 9/10.

Since my new farms aren't on the map, I'll just redo the purchase (it fixes a few problems). Without my purchase, my number of internets is 95.

I convert all of my owned roods in the upper half of the map to farmland except for AE1.

Number of roods: 252 (note: I should also own A16 and A17 because all of my land roods are connected)
Cost: 84 internets
Internets remaining: 11
Total roods of farm: 270
Total roods of factory: 6
Income from produce: 6*sqrt(270)*2*1.2*1.1 = 260.3
Income from farms: 2*18/3*1.2*1.1 = 15.8
Income from factories: 2*6/2*1.15*1.2*1.1 = 9.1
Total income=285.2
Royalty payments:
To Turiski=25.9 (not subtracted from total)
From Turiski=Turiski's income/11

Corporation status:
The FruitSalad Corporation (John Citizen) is in Paradox, Tet and Euphony.
The Rethink Corporation (Turiski) is in Tet, Euphony and Paradox.

I suggest that everyone keeps track of their own accounts.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 am UTC

@ Citizen: Ah yes, the farms. I'll make that update today or tomorrow since it's pretty substantial.

Tradition has been to add the *active players* spoiler at the end of every post that changes the ruleset, which keeps tabs on current internets and roods. Certainly everyone is responsible for keeping track of their income, but maybe we should have a corporations spoiler tag also.

You never purchased A16 or A17, but I'll purchase them for you.

Um... John Citizen's motion to encourage map updates has 1 vote in favor, and it fails.
I'm not... really sure what to say to that.

Ruleset:
Spoiler:

An official title is defined as a group of responsibilities and rewards associated with a name. Official titles are redistributed on a yearly basis, unless explicitly stated otherwise. Official titles may be awarded for any singular reason, including but not limited to: obtaining the most votes, having the most internets, updating the map most frequently or proposing the most motions. Official titles are associated with one and only one player at any one time, and each player may only have one official title. Current official titles are the Chairman and the Manager of the NCD.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to define occupations; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

Any disputes and disagreements about gameplay may settled by the chairman. If there is a dispute, the chairman may take any action necessary to restore stable gameplay, except the actions specifically forbidden by these rules. The chairman's decisions may be overturned by five votes from different players reading "I cast my vote to repeal the chairman's executive decision." The chairman may not take any action which results in players being unable to repeal his decisions.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as coolguy5678's first motion; to make the Chairman someone active; approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to get a new Chairman; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, thorgold, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

The Chairman of the nomic is an elected position. The election process will run in the year in which this motion is passed ("the Year"). A player may declare themselves a candidate by placing in bolded italics "I declare myself a candidate for the position of the Chairman of the Nomic." In likewise manner they can withdraw from the race by stating "I withdraw my candidacy." Candadicy may be declared until the end of the Year. Voting shall be done in the form "I vote <playername> for Chairman of the Nomic." Voting begins at the beginning of, and ends at the end of, the year after the Year. The Chairman shall be the candidate with the greatest number of votes.
(Proposed by Turiski as Turiski's motion to get a new Chairman; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, thorgold, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

The position of Manager of the Nomic Capital District has the duty of keeping the Nomic Estate with a positive cash flow. The manager may establish a trading relationship with any foreign Nomic Entities for 1 Nomic year, after which a vote of active players must pass as a motion to allow further trade. This position is an elective position, with a term of 4 Nomic Years. The election process will run in the year prior to the start of the Manager's term. A player may declare themselves a candidate by placing in bolded italics "I declare myself a candidate for the position of Manger of the Nomic Capital District." In likewise manner they can withdraw from the race by stating "I withdraw my candidacy." Candadicy may be declared until the half-point (20th post) of the year prior to the next term. Voting shall be done in the form "I vote <playername> for Manager of the Nomic Capital District." The Chairman may choose to either appoint a votecounter, or count the votes himself. The position Assistant to the Manager of the Nomic Capital District will be the Candidate that places second in the voting and will fill in for the manager when on vacation or if the Manager becomes inactive. The Manager shall be the candidate with the greatest number of votes.
(Proposed by infina as "infina's Manager Motion"; Approved by infina, John Citizen, Krawl, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

All players have a property called "number of internets". All players receive one internet upon making their first post in this thread. Whenever a player's number of internets is changed, a list of all players' internet-counts is posted in a spoiler tag, in decreasing order of internet-counts. To represent fractional amounts, the sub-internet is the official unit, with a value of 1/10 of an internet. Internets are represented by the ¤ (Alt+0164) symbol, and sub-internets as decimals of the number of internets (e.g. ¤10.5).
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to create currency"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

§1.1.2: Compoundability Terms:A "bonus" is any internets given to or taken from a player as a percentage of the "principal," a specific gain or loss of internets. A bonus (to be called “A” through this rule) may be “compoundable” with another bonus (“B”). This term means that B’s bonus is calculated on both the principal and A, or vice versa. Compoundability is non-transitive. A may also be “non-compoundable” with B, in which case the bonuses are not calculated on each other; this is also non-transitive. If not explicitly stated, bonuses are assumed to be non-compoundable with each other.

A is called “non-compoundable” if it is non-compoundable with any other bonus. It is called “fully compoundable” if it is compoundable with every other bonus acting on the same principal. For both of these definitions, “other bonuses” include bonuses implemented after A’s creation. If a motion intends to make a bonus compoundable with a non-compoundable bonus, or non-compoundable with a fully compoundable bonus, it will be required to change the definition of the original bonus to reflect this. Otherwise, even if the exception is explicitly stated on the motion or in a rule it creates, the existing description will hold.
(Proposed by Turiski as "Turiski's motion to define compoundability"; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, MatteoTom, thorgold; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

The term "resources" (currently) means internets and roods (see section §4). Furthermore, no action may be performed that causes any of a player's resources to become negative.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to simplify resource transactions"; Approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

Players may give any positive amount of their resources to any other player for whatever reason they wish.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to promote Christmas spirit"; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

The Chairman is permitted to grant internets to persons who have been of exemplary value in the community, at the discretion of the Chairman. The Chairman is unable to award himself/herself internets, but internets can still be given to the Chairman by Rule §1.3. The Chairman is only permitted to award 5 internets per week. Any internets beyond that will be charged to the Chairman as per Rule §1.3. Internets granted under this rule may be revoked, as per the procedure outlined in Rule §0.1.
(Proposed by alexriehl as "alexriehl's revised motion to grant currency-based rewards"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, _infina_; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)

(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "OstrichGuy's motion to make years pretty long"; Approved by OstrichGuy, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

Players who haven't posted in a week shall be moved to the inactive player list.
(Proposed by infina as infina's motion to define activity, Approved by Affinity, infina, JonR; opposed by HarvesteR; edited by HarvesteR, coolguy5678

Anyone who double-posts three or more times in the same thread page is fined one internet for each double-post after the first two, which go to the Nomic Estate. A double-post is defined as two consecutive posts by the same user; three consecutive posts are considered two double posts, four consecutive posts as three double-posts, and so on.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to stop people from single-handedly accelerating time"; Approved by coolguy5678, ostrichguy, bkwinner; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

If a player declares in bold an italics, "I am taking the next [one or two] weeks off, then that amount of time is not counted towards the amount of time required to be considered inactive. Players are given 2 weeks off per real-world year, which may be used as either two one-week vacations or one two-week vacation.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to allow vacations"; Approved by ostrichguy, Krawl, sina wile toki moku, MartinW, HarvesteR; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

Any in-game event may be described using real time. Real time is always taken to be GMT.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to create real time, approved by John Citizen, opposed by no one)

Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.
(In original ruleset)

All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to put the comma that is directly outside the quotes in rule §002 inside the preceeding quotes, after the ellipses. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammar Nazis from developing a nervous twitch."
(In original ruleset)

To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/in favour of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of kerfuffleninja's motion to save grammer Nazis from developing a nervous twitch." People are not forced to type down the entire motion summary.
(In original ruleset)
(Amended by turret through "turret's motion to simplify and ease voting through not forcing people to type down the entire summary of any vote they wish to endorse and vote for"; approved by turret, snowyowl, JonR; opposed by kerfuffleninja, Affinity; edited by HarvesteR)

Players are allowed to make conditional votes: votes that only take effect if a set of conditions is met.
If (condition) is true, then the vote counts. Otherwise (If the condition is false/undetermined), it doesn't.
(Proposed by bkwinner as "bkwinner's motion to allow conditional votes"; Approved by bkwinner, Krawl, sina wile toki moku, MartinW; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

Any player may abstain from a vote by stating "I wish to abstain from voting on [motion's name]." Abstaining counts as voting, so if every player votes for, against, or abstains from a motion, the motion can be immediately resolved. Since abstaining is voting, abstainers will be rewarded Internets as stated in §3.6, as long §3.6 gives Internets for voting.
Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to allow abstaining"; Approved by MatteoTom, Turiski, John Citizen, _infina_, thorgold; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

Whenever a someone makes a motion, he automatically and implicitly casts a vote in favour of it. This can be cancelled by explicitly stating, in bold and italics, "I do not cast my vote in (favour|favor) of [motion name]", or by casting a vote against the motion.
(Proposed by coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's second motion; to reduce obvious, redundant votes"; Approved by coolguy5678, Affinity, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

"I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby edit [name of motion] to:
(new motion text)
"
All votes for the old motion are kept, unless the meaning is significantly changed, as determined by the chairman (this decision can be overruled as per §0.1), in which case the votes are repealed. Motions may not be edited if they already have the number of votes necessary for approval/rejection. In addition to editing motions, a player may also split and combine motions. A split motion becomes two motions, each containing a portion of the original motion. Players may only split motions if this would not put them over the limit of active motions. If two motions are combined, they fuse to become a single motion. The votes on the original motion(s) count for half value on any new motions created by splitting or combining motions.
(Proposed by bkwinner as "bkwinner's motion to edit motions"; Approved by bkwinner, HarvesteR, Krawl, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by coolguy5678, MartinW, TheFudge; Edited by coolguy5678)

All motions run for 96 hours. Any active motions made before this shall be put on a 96 hour limit starting when this vote passes. Once that many hours are done, the motion's votes are tallied. If more or an equal amount oppose the motion than approve, it fails. Otherwise, it passes. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, any with official powers to do so must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. Although already approved, A rule and/or amendment shall not be considered as in effect until the revised ruleset is posted. All voters shall receive 1 internet each. Any motion must have at least two votes in favour to pass.
(In original ruleset; Amended by HarvesteR through "HarvesteR's motion to reduce confusion over rule §004" (approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by Affinity through Affinity's motion to make passage requirements elastic)
(Amended by MartinW through "MartinW's motion to reduce vote apathy"; approved by MartinW, TheFudge, Ostrichguy, John Citizen; opposed by bkwinner)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to disallow the passing of single-vote motions"; approved by John Citizen; opposed by nobody)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to reward minorities"; approved by John Citizen, Thorgold, Turiski; opposed by nobody; edited by John Citizen)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to chronologically extend motions"; approved by John Citizen, Thorgold, Turiski; opposed by nobody)

If a motion for whatever reason does not pass, that motion or any equivalent motion (determined by the chairman) cannot be re-proposed for 96 hours real time. Reasons for a motion not passing include but are not limited to: the motion being terminated by the proposer (§3.15), the motion not receiving enough votes (§3.6), or the motion being voted as ridiculous (§3.18). If a motion fails four times, it cannot be re-submitted without consent from the chairman (which can possibly be received by stating the reason you want to re-submit and asking nicely), unless other changes significantly change the effect of the motion.
(Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to prevent spam"; Approved by MatteoTom, Turiski, John Citizen, _infina_, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

Those who have their motions approved shall be rewarded with 1 (one) internet per vote in favor received, less 1 (one) internet per vote against received. In this fashion, one who has a motion approved will receive an amount of internets proportional to the general acceptance of his proposed motion. (e.g. If one has a motion passed with 3 votes in favor and 2 votes against, said one shall receive 1 internet). Internets shall only be granted once the motion has been effectively approved, and correctly followed through with appropriate insertion on, and/or revision of the ruleset. In the event that a motion is denied, internets shall neither be given nor taken.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to reward meritous contributions"; approved by coolguy5678, alexriehl, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

All motions to create rules approved shall be/must be automatically added to the existing ruleset under an appropriate chapter and number.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to maintain a coherent ruleset"; approved by HarvesteR, Boreeas, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

All rules appended to the original ruleset are required to be reworded so as to remove unnecessary sentences regarding obsolete voting, such as 'for the purposes of voting...'. This rule also requires that in any case in which a rule refers to itself as a 'motion', it must be reworded so as to emphasize and maintain the semantic difference between a motion and a rule. The extent of this rule is limited to such rewording and editing, and prohibits the altering of rules in any way that might distort, omit or otherwise modify the implied or explicitly stated content of its previous form as a motion. It extends as far as modifying the wording of a rule to append information about its creator and originating motion in order to preserve its history.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance and further improve the coherence of the ruleset"; approved by alexriehl, HarvesteR, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

The revised ruleset must be placed inside of spoiler tags in order to prevent page-stretching.
(Proposed by Quate as "Quate's motion to prevent page-stretching"; approved by Quate, e^ipi+1=0, skellious, turret, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

All terminated motions, regardless of the outcome of the vote, are required to be announced in the following form:
For approved motions, the announcement must be in bold and follow this template:
"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes in favor, and it passes.
This motion has been approved with # votes in favor, # against. [username] shall receive {see rule §3.8} internets for his(her) meritous contribution."

"[username]'s [name of motion for the purposes of voting] has # votes against, and is hereby denied."
It is required that, upon posting of the revised ruleset, the ruleset-reviser precede his new submission with the above announcement, so that it is clear for all participants that a new revision of the ruleset has been submitted. Observance of other rules regarding ruleset presentation shall still apply.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to enhance motion termination verbosity"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

No motion may have retroactive effects before the moment at which it passed. No motion may specify that it cannot be altered or repealed. No motion may contradict a motion which has already passed or which is in voting unless it specifically supersedes, repeals, or reverses the existing motion.
(Proposed by snowyowl as "Snowyowl's motion to prevent contradictions"; approved by snowyowl, skellious, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by snowyowl)

Along with the revised ruleset, a list of motions still open to voting is to be placed in any post that updates the ruleset.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to keep a list of active motions"; approved by HarvesteR, JonR, alexriehl; opposed by nobody; edited by alexriehl)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to rearrange responsibility for active motions"; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

The Motion-maker is granted official power to cancel a motion of his own making that is currently under vote. This shall be done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I, ['as motion-maker' or 'having been lawfully granted official power'], hereby terminate [name of motion]. As of this moment, this motion is no longer under vote and shall be removed and forgotten." This shall completely terminate the open motion. Being granted power to remove a motion does not imply that the power-holder is compelled to follow through. The Chairman does not have authority to grant this power unto himself, being also required to rely on the group consensus.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to remove and forget obsolete motions"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

No player is allowed to have more than 3 open motions at any time. Any motion proposed after the 3rd shall be ignored.
(Proposed by JonR as "JonR's 2nd motion; to curb excessive motion proposals"; approved by HarvesteR, _infina_, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

If at any time a motion has been voted upon by every active player, and if the motion has not at that point obtained the necessary amount of votes to be either passed or denied, then the motion will immediately be resolved. In the case of a tie in votes, the motion will be denied.
(Proposed by thorgold as thorgold's motion to immediately resolve motions; Approved by thorgold, Turiski, MatteoTom; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

In addition to voting in favor/in favour/against a motion, a poster may declare a motion "Ridiculous". This is done by, in bold and italic, stating "I declare (motion x) to be ridiculous". If a majority of active players votes a motion to be ridiculous, the motion is immediately removed. In addition, the poster of the motion is fined in internets the number of "Ridiculous" votes, minus the number of votes in favor/in favour of a motion, to a maximum of their total number of internets.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to penalise particularly bad motions; Approved by John Citizen, bkwinner, Turiski, Krawl; Opposed by coolguy5678)

The Nomic Estate, represented by a dummy player, holds land. This land is subdivided into 2560 roods.
(Proposed by _infina_ as "infina's motion to create land"; approved by _infina_, alexriehl, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

A rood is called “connected to” another rood if the former is immediately north, south, east, or west of the latter, or there are roads, railroads, or shipping routes directly connecting the two.
A rood is called “nearby” another rood if the former is immediately northeast, southeast, northwest, southwest, north, south, east, or west of the latter.
A rood is called “local to” another rood if it is both connected to and nearby the latter.
Any development of a rood (e.g. a city, factory, etc.) takes on the above properties of the rood it is built on. If a single development exists over multiple roods (e.g. a farm, etc.), it takes the properties of every rood it exists over.
A collection C of objects is called “connected” if, for any two objects (a,b) in C, there is a subcollection D containing the two objects, so that every object in D is connected to exactly two other objects in D, except for the two objects (a,b), which are each connected to exactly one.
C is called “near” if the above holds replacing “connected to” with “nearby,” or “local” if it holds replacing “connected to” with “local to.”
(Proposed by Turiski as "Turiski's motion to define compoundability"; Approved by Turiski, MatteoTom, John Citizen, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

At any point, a player may declare, "I buy [n] roods from the Nomic Estate", where n is less than or equal to the number of roods remaining in the Nomic estate. The player immediate gains n roods and loses n sub-internets, which are added to the Nomic estate's internet supply. Roods transferred between players are not restricted by this motion's exchange rate.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to set an exchange rate"; approved by Affinity, HarvesteR, coolguy5678; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

All land in existence shall be mapped on a 64 by 40 tile grid, each tile of which represents a land rood. Land-buyers, as they purchase more land, must update this map so that it reflects the change in territory ownership. The map shall be posted at each new map update, contained in a spoiler tag. Each land-owner must represent his estate with a unique color, so that his territory is well defined.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to map out the land"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

Each prospective land buyer, prior to purchasing any land, be it from the Nomic Estate or from another land-owner, must declare his intent to do so in the following manner, in bold and italics: 'I hereby claim the land located at [location of roods]'. The purpose of this rule is to prevent conflicts over land ownership in the event that another players claim the same rood, before the map of ownership could be updated.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to prevent land ownership conflicts"; approved by alexriehl, coolguy5678, Affinity; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

No player may claim, purchase, or modify any land, owned or unowned, if the map has not been updated for a week or more. Any action that modifies the map in any way, visibly or invisibly, shall be ignored until the map is updated.
(Proposed by John Citizen as "John Citizen's motion to force regular map updates"; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by thorgold through Thorgold's Motion to prevent map update overload; Approved by thorgold, John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

All of an individual's territory must be connected. Players may build a train track for 5 Internets, regardless of its length. Players may build a road for 1 internet per 10 grid squares it crosses. If the railroad is made through another individual's territory, the money paid will go to that individual. Players build a road/railroad by stating: "I build a [road/railroad] at [locations]. If it passes through multiple other individuals' territories, the people who's territory it goes through will split the Internets proportionally to how much is in each of their territories. Each player may only receive a whole number of sub-internets; the remainder shall go to the active players with the lowest number of internets, such that no players receiving a nonzero number of internets in this transaction receive more than ¤0.1 more than any other such players. The individuals' whose territory is passed through all must consent to the building of the railroad or road for it to be built, by stating "I consent to [name]'s building of a [road/railroad] at [location's]".

A distinction shall be made between "not consenting" and "disapproving" to a proposal: an individual with the authority to consent may also disapprove, by replacing in the above statement the words "I consent to" with "I disapprove of". A player disapproves by default if they do not respond appropriately within two Nomic years (If a player is or goes on vacation, their vacation time is not counted toward this restriction). In the event that such an individual disapproves, the builder may state (with a similar allowance for vacation) within one Nomic year “In light of recent disapproval, I amend my proposal to build at [old locations], and build instead at [new locations].” Then, the consenting individuals will remain consenting to only the same player building the railroads at only the same locations. Specifically:
a) The new locations may not be the same, in their entirety, as the old locations.
b) If the new locations cover different parts consenter’s land than the old locations, the consenter has the opportunity to not consent to the difference (and it shall be assumed that they give neither consent nor disapproval until either they make a further statement of the form outlined above, or they disapprove by default).
c) If the new locations demand the approval of additional individuals, all of them must consent as well before the building will finish.
d) The consenter does not consent to additional proposals made, either by others or the same individual.
(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "Ostrichguy's motion to connect territory"; Approved by ostrichguy, JonR, bkwinner; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by MartinW's motion to extend on the rules of building roads and railroads)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to remove ambiguity in multi-individual road purchasing; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, Krawl; Opposed by no one)
(Amended by Turiski through Turiski's motion to enable negotiation of road purchases; Approved by Turiski, John Citizen, Krawl; Opposed by no one)

Players who own land are required to have at least 1 (one) rood of open land on their domains at all times. A domain with less than 2 (two) open roods cannot have cities or other buildings built onto it.
(Proposed by HarvesteR as "HarvesteR's motion to prevent map clutter and technical problems no one wants to fix"; Approved by HarvesteR, Infina, coolguy5678, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by TheFudge)

After a player has been on the inactive list for three weeks, their land is returned to the Nomic Estate. This action happens automatically, and the next player to update the map must remove their claim.
(Proposed by infina as infina's motion to penalize inactivity; Approved by Affinity, infina, JonR; opposed by HarvesteR; edited by HarvesteR)
(Amended by John Citizen through "John Citizen's motion to create space on the map;" Approved by John Citizen, Turiski, thorgold; Opposed by no one)

Players may announce the foundation of a settlement in their own land. The first settlement is free of charge, but subsequent settlements have a cost of 3 internets. Players shall announce the foundation of a settlement in the following form, in bold and italics: "I announce the foundation of [name of settlement] in [player domain's name], located at [map coordinates]".

A player may declare any settlement in his land a city, but doing so will cost 3 more internets. To declare a settlement a city, the announcement must be in bold and italics and read: "I declare [name of settlement] a city." The capital city of a player's domain is the first settlement promoted to a city. The capital city generates twice the resources of a regular city. A player may transfer the capital of his domain to another city (not settlement) at the cost of another 3 internets. Transferring a capital shall be done by announcing in bold and italics: "I transfer the capital of [name of domain] to the city of [name of city]".
(Amended by coolguy5678 as coolguy5678's motion to make the capital city awesome; Approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, JonR; opposed by nobody; edited by HarvesteR)

Players may convert tiles in their territory into farmland or factories for the cost of 1 Internet per 3 tiles of land converted. At the end of each Nomic Year, not including the one during which the tiles were converted, players receive 1 Internet per 3 tiles of farmland and 1 Internet per 2 tiles of factories.A “farm” is a local collection of farmland, and a “manufacturing area” is a local collection of factories. Each manufacturing area or farm must be connected to a city.
(Proposed by OstrichGuy as "OstrichGuy's motion to make territory actually have a purpose"; Approved by ostrichguy, bkwinner, HarvesteR; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR; Amended by executive decision from The Chairman)

Several tiles, both in the Nomic Empire and Nomic Sea, are half land, half water. Mandatory precautions must be taken on these, in the form of increasing the cost of all buildings built on shorlines by 50%, save shipyards.
(Proposed by Thorgold as "Thorgold's "Building's dont Float" Motion"; Approved by Thorgold, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one; edited by Turiski)

Any settlement that isn't a city may be converted into a Mining Town for 3 internets. If a manufacturing area is connected to a mining town, its yearly income is increased by 15%. A single manufacturing area can only earn this bonus once.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to create mining towns."; Approved by coolguy5678, bkwinner, MartinW, TheFudge; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

If a farm is connected to a manufacturing area, then the income of the manufacturing area is increased by 0.5% for each rood in the farm, up to a maximum of 15%. This is non-compoundable with the bonus given by a mining town.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "coolguy5678's motion to make farms supply to factories."; Approved by coolguy5678, bkwinner, MartinW, Ostrichguy; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

The rectangle with corners (O,14) and (Z,24) is the Nomic Capital District. NCD is the proper abbreviation for Nomic Capital District. At (U,19) will be Nomic City, the capital of the Nomic Empire. Players may propose to build settlements, farmland, factories, or other structures allowed by law in the NCD. In addition, a new type of building, a bank, may be built. A bank costs 10 Internets. 2 Internets are spent building it, while the other 8 go to the banks funds. Players may borrow money from the bank, but must pay it back, plus 20% interest each Nomic Year, including the one during which the money was borrowed. Players may deposit Internets in the bank, and will receive 10% interest per Nomic Year, not including the one during which the money was deposited. Both of these interests are non-compoundable. If a bank runs out of money, players must vote on whether or not to give enough of the Nomic Estate's money to the bank in order to keep it going. If not, the bank fails, and the players who have money in the bank will not be paid back. When players wish to propose the production of something in the NCD, they may do so by stating, in italics and bold, "I propose we turn [area in Nomic Capital District] into [type of land or structure]. This will cost us [number of Internets this would cost] Internets." It will be voted on in the same manner as motions are, but the contributor will not recive Internets for his/her contribution. Anything built in the NCD will be paid for using money from the Nomic Estate's fund.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to give our empire a capital."; Approved by ostrichguy, Krawl, TheFudge, coolguy5678; Opposed by MartinW; Edited by HarvesteR)

Players may upgrade cities to Trading Cities for ¤3. If one player's trading city is connected to a different player's trading city, both players earn ¤3 in each year after the year in which the trading cities are first connected (or ¤6, if a Trading City is additionally the Capital City). Each Trading City may only be connected to one other Trading City. Each player may only be in a trading relationship with each other player once, but there is no limit on the number of players a player may trade with.
(Proposed by Coolguy5678 as "Coolguy5678's motion to promote co-operation through Trading Cities"; Approved by coolguy5678, HarvesteR, bkwinner, TheFudge; Opposed by no one; Edited by HarvesteR)

The Nomic Estate extends to row 80. South of row 40 is the Nomic Sea. Scattered throughout the sea are islands. Players may not claim, or build settlements or other structure on tiles of the sea, other than ones that contain islands. Boats are an exception, and may be built on the water. On any land bordering the Nomic Sea, players may build shipyards for the cost of ¤1.5. If a player has a shipyard, he/she may build a boat on any water adjacent to the shipyard for ¤0.5. Ships are not stationary, and may move 20 tiles per Nomic year. This movement may be performed any time in the year, not just at the end. Any water over which a boat has passed becomes a shipping route. When a boat moves over an already existing shipping route, this does not count towards its yearly movement count. Players currently have three weeks to create and propose ideas for where the islands should be located, and vote on the submissions. At the end of those three weeks (on 13 February), whichever map received the most votes shall be added to the official one, and the ruleset will be updated to express that the Nomic Sea exists officially.
(Proposed by Ostrichguy as "Ostrichguy's motion to explore the sea"; Approved by Ostrichguy, _infina_, John Citizen, coolguy5678, Turiski; Opposed by no one; Edited by coolguy5678)

No player may own more than 5 roods on the sea border between the Nomic Estate and the Nomic Sea.
The border between the Estate and Sea is defined as any rood that is directly connected to the Estate by land and borders water on the Sea (either on the top or bottom of the Nomic Estate, as in §4.23).
Any player who owns more than 5 roods on the border will have 1 Nomic year from when this motion is passed to sell the roods to the Nomic Estate, at rate of ¤0.1 per rood (the normal rate), or another player. The player has the option of selling as many roods bordering the waterfront as they would like. If a player does not comply, they will be fined ¤2 per every rood bordering the Sea greater than five per Nomic Year. A player is fined all their Internets if they do not have enough Internets to pay the fine.
(Proposed by MatteoTom as "MatteoTom's motion to reduce monopolies at sea"; Approved by MatteoTom, John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one, edited by Turiski)

Produce is produced by farms at a rate of 100 produce/rood of farm per year. To sell the produce, it must be connected to a settlement, city, or Capital City with a market, which can be upgrade from a settlement, city or Capital City at the cost of ¤2. For each farm, the internets earned from selling produce shall be defined by the formula ¤=6*sqrt(x), where x is the number of roods in the farm (rounded to the nearest sub-internet). This shall be multiplied by 2 for capital cities, and by 2/3 for settlements.
(Proposed by _infina_ as _infina_'s motion to create markets; Approved by _infina_, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by coolguy5678, Krawl)
(Amended by John Citizen through John Citizen's second motion to prevent game-breaking incomes; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

A player may own one and only one corporation. A corporation has associated cities for which its effects occur. A corporation must always have at least one associated city. No two corporations may have the same name.
A player may found a corporation by declaring, in bold and italics: "I declare the founding of [name] corporation in [city]." This action costs 3 internets. A player can also spread a corporation to any city (not just their own) within a radius of 25 grid units (measured by Pythagoreas' theorem, rounded down). This is done by declaring, in bold and italics: "I spread [corporation] from [city] to [city]". This does not remove the corporation from the original city. A player spreading a corporation must own the city that the corporation is spreading from, though not necessarily the corporation itself. Spreading a corporation costs 2 internets.
A player can remove a corporation from one of their cities by paying 2.5 internets to the player owning the corporation. If the player owning the city also owns the corporation, they must still pay 1 internet (not to themselves). This is done by declaring, in bold and italics, "I remove [corporation] from [city]." If at any time this action causes a corporation to have no associated cities, the corporation ceases to exist.
A corporation increases the profit of the city it is in and every nearby tile by 20%, rounded to the nearest sub-internet. This is applied after all other bonuses. If the owner of the city does not own the corporation, 50% (rounded to the nearest sub-internet) of the bonus resulting from the corporation goes to the owner of the corporation, with the rest going to the owner of the city.
A city may contain more than one corporation, but the bonus from each is noncompoundable.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to create corporations; Approved by John Citizen, Turiski; Opposed by no one)

When the sea has been added to the Empire, once a player has built a shipyard, they may build fishing boats, for 5 sub-internets each. A fishing boat will catch 50 fish every nomic year, which may be sold at the markets or traded to other players, as seen fit.
(Proposed by Krawl as Krawl's motion to introduce fishing; Approved by Krawl, Turiski, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)

Edge squares can be considered to be nearby the three squares, and local to the one square, on the opposite edge, in the manner of a toroid.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to circumnavigate the globe; Approved by John Citizen; opposed by no one)

Each player to join the game will begin with ten roods of land in addition to his/her starting internet. Roods awarded in this manner shall be deducted from the Nomic estate's rood supply.
(Proposed by Affinity as "Affinity's motion to award initial roods"; approved by Affinity, coolguy5678, HarvesteR; opposed by nobody; edited by Affinity)

An immigration form, of sorts, is given to formalize the entry of new players and ensure proper integration into the Empire. Three sets of data will be provided in the first post of every new player:
1. Player introduction, to provide any personal details of oneself and reasons for joining the Nomic Empire;
(Proposed by Thorgold as Thorgold's Player Introduction Motion; Approved by Thorgold, John Citizen; opposed by Turiski; edited by Turiski)

The nomic map is just one of many maps available for land purchases. Any player may submit a map design of any size and geometry, along with a name, and votes shall be cast for these in the same manner as for motion voting. This will continue until 3 weeks after a minimum of 5 maps have been submitted. The five maps with the highest number of votes shall become the planets in the Nomic star system, and will be established simultaneously with §6.2.

Simultaneously to the process described in §6.1, players may submit an orbital map. An orbital map is a device to define distances (measured in nAU), and may be of any explicitly defined form, as long as distances between each world are defined (10 distances total). Distances may be variable, but must be periodic over either real time or nomic time. Voting for an orbital map shall take place in the same manner as in §6.1, with the exception that only one map is required. The orbital map shall be established once maps described in both §6.1 and §6.2 are decided upon.

A concept known as planetary index exists. A planetary index indicates key statistics of each world, and is divided into two numbers known as habitability and productivity. These are used to calculate costs and incomes respectively, and are evaluated from the base values as such: total cost = (base cost / habitability) and total income = (base income * productivity). Habitability and productivity are both equal to one for the Nomic World. Planetary index for other worlds is chosen by the maker of the map. Both habitability and productivity must be positive rational numbers.

Any player may build a launch site for a cost of 100 internets. Launch sites may launch one spacecraft per year, for (50 * the current distance of the destination in nAU) internets each. Spacecraft can make a one-time trip to another world, allowing a claim of 1 rood of land there after a delay of (the distance in nAU / 2) nomic years, rounded up. After this trip is complete, the spacecraft ceases to exist. The destination of a spacecraft must be announced on launch, and cannot be changed after this.

A player may only claim roods on a world if they either send a spacecraft there or already own roods on that world (observing other rules). Roods on different worlds are not considered connected - this supersedes rule §4.6. A new player may claim roods on only one world from their initial roods.

An action is an announcement by a player of a change in gamestate. Actions include, but are not limited to: buying land, moving boats, voting, terminating motions and donating internets. All actions must be announced in bold and italics.
(Proposed by John Citizen as John Citizen's motion to make actions more visible; Approved by John Citizen, MatteoTom; Opposed by Turiski)
Active Motions
Spoiler:
Turiski wrote:I make a motion to reorganize time. Years 9 and 10 will be combined in the following way: For historical reference, the time on the 9th and 10th page will be called year 9/10. The 361st post did not mark the beginning of a new year. Any development areas or farms made before the 361th post will receive incomes after the 400th post; those made after it will receive incomes as usual. Year 9/10 acts as one year for the purposes of produce as well as income from farms and factories, and any bonuses on them. Voting on the Chairman of the Nomic begins instantly after this motion passes, and ends at the mid-point of year 11; their first duty is to announce the results for the Manager of the NCD. At the moment this motion passes, all players with land claims at the moment Infinia's suspension motion was passed are treated as if they just changed the gamestate, for the purposes of inactivity. For the purposes of voting, this will be called Turiski's motion to create year 9/10.

(Proposed by Turiski; Approved by Turiski, Lorenz, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)
Voting closes 6 May, 9:19p
Players:
Spoiler:
The Nomic Estate: 192.8 internets, 0 roods on credit, 3740 roods claimed
Turiski: 111.1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 411 roods claimed
_infina_: 48 internets, 0 roods on credit, 41 roods claimed
ostrichguy: 12 internets, 1 rood on credit, 331 roods claimed
John Citizen: 10.8 internets, 0 roods on credit, 403 roods claimed
alexriehl: 7 internets, 40 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Lorenz: 1 internet, 0 roods on credit, 10 roods claimed
HarvesteR: 30 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
coolguy5678: 26 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
MatteoTom: 24 internets, 0 roods on credit, 10 roods claimed
Thorgold: 15 internets, 0 roods on credit, 42 roods claimed
Krawl: 12 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
theFudge: 10 internets, 9 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
JonR: 7 internets, 15 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
MartinW: 5 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
turret: 5 internets, 20 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Boreeas: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
e^ipi+1=0: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
kerfuffleninja: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Moach: 4 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
NecklaceOfShadow: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
neoliminal: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Quate: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
skellious: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
snowyowl: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Affinity: 3 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
sina wile toki moku: 1 internets, 1 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Left Justified: 1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
bkwinner: 0.1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed

Active Players: 5/26
Map Changes Needed:
Spoiler:
John Citizen wrote:I convert all of my owned roods in the upper half of the map to farmland except for AE1 [...]
I should also own A16 and A17 because all of my land roods are connected
Last edited by Turiski on Fri May 06, 2011 12:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Do we have a chairman right now?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Do we have a chairman right now?

I think that a vote was instituted to decide whether to nominate one. Kerfuffleninja used to be chairman, but I don't know if s/he is or is not anymore.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am UTC

alexriehl wrote:
_infina_ wrote:Do we have a chairman right now?

I think that a vote was instituted to decide whether to nominate one. Kerfuffleninja used to be chairman, but I don't know if s/he is or is not anymore.

Then it was HarvesteR, who has also disappeared. I don't think we do right now.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 am UTC

@Turiski: I don't think that you should fail that motion, especially considering that it had 3 votes in favour (I like to think that we are fairly lenient with the ruleset here). I'd just re-propose it, but I'm not allowed to do that.

I know that tradition dictates the active players spoiler, but I have never done it personally. I've done my own accounts as they are quite complex, as are yours. Adding income to the players spoiler could be useful. (Can you please calculate your income? I want to know how much my corporation earns me).

@_infina_: There is no current chairman.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Thu May 05, 2011 3:59 am UTC

@John: Nothing can stop you from just remaking the same one but including "I give alexriehl 0.1 internets." near the end. Or better yet, adding a clause that fixes §3.3 to prevent that in the future ;)

Pre-corp income to Tet: 34/3 + 6*sqrt(34) = 46.3
Pre-corp income to Euphony: 2*[ (13/3) + 6*sqrt(13) + (1/2)*(1.065)*(28) ] = 81.8

So that would be 128.1 internets, times 1.3 for my corp plus yours makes 166.5, plus the 25.9 royalties from your city.

You are entitled to 12.8 internets, not subtracted from the above. Why did you divide by 11? Shouldn't it just be 10? You're not doing anything crazy with infinite series, are you? (The corp bonuses don't stack because of exclusiveness of compoundability)

In a similar vein, I noticed a serious exploit in the ruleset. I'm not going to use it because it would be pretty much game-breaking and I think the future chairman would have every right to just take all my money and property away for being such a douche, but I also kind of want to see if Lorenz or alex can find it because it probably wouldn't break the game with them and it would be interesting to have three really rich people.

EDIT: The relevant information for the new chairman is here and here. So we should have a chairman and a manager by the end of year 11.

EDIT 2: @ John: You'll also need to make a road through your shipyard to connect your upper farmland to your city
EDIT 3: I sell rood 41AQ to the Nomic Estate

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 am UTC

I make a motion to define an occupation. After a nomic year passes, the person who updated the map (including space maps) the most times is given the title "Controller of the Map", and is immediately awarded 10 internets. This occupation is renewed every year. John Citizen, Lorenz and ostrichguy will also gain a one-time payment of 0.1 internets from nobody in particular due to Turiski's pedantry. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's second motion to encourage map updates.

@Turiski: No, by toroidiality my land roods are all connected if you include A16 and A17 (which I did).

For the incomes, I just realised that I did it wrong: the total profit should be P=S+0.2*S+0.1*S or P=S*1.3 (where S is the subtotal), due to the fact that all corporations must be worked out last. The royalty will be 0.1*S (I got 11 by dividing the 1.1 from the corporation by the 0.1 payment that I needed to give).

Okay, so monetary amounts again:
Subtotal=216.1
Total=280.9
To Turiski=21.6
From Turiski=12.8

So my total income is 293.7 internets.

By the way, I don't see the loophole, but I won't exploit it if I find it.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Thu May 05, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Although I don't agree that you ever purchased A16 and A17, I see that you don't need a road through your seaport; I thought you were using the fact that the shipping route connected AS41 to AE1, but I see that's not actually necessary.

(The next map update will show that you own A16 and A17)
Last edited by Turiski on Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

skellious

Postby skellious » Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Suddenly, a Skellious appears!

"Hello!"

Hey guys, I thought I might pop back for a while and see how things are getting on, I see we've got some kind of map structure going on again? I'm going to read the current rules and get myself up to date, is that cool with you all?

(also is anyone from the start of this game still left?)
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?

ostrichguy

Postby ostrichguy » Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

I buy 36 roods from the Nomic Estate.
I hereby claim the land located at the rectangle with corners (AB, 13) and (AM,15).

So, apparently while I was gone, making money became easier, and inflation caused what once was a great fortune I had to being relatively nothing.

:D Oh well.
Attachments
map.png

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

skellious wrote:Suddenly, a Skellious appears!

"Hello!"

Hey guys, I thought I might pop back for a while and see how things are getting on, I see we've got some kind of map structure going on again? I'm going to read the current rules and get myself up to date, is that cool with you all?

Yup, a few of us are here.
[EDIT] Mostly just _infina_ and I from the original few. [/EDIT]
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

skellious

Postby skellious » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

alexriehl wrote:

"Hello!"

ah hello *waves* it's going to take me a while to get up to speed with the game, it seems I have some land to claim?
kerfuffleninja wrote: Minutes are the same length in Europe, right?

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

skellious wrote:
alexriehl wrote:

"Hello!"

ah hello *waves* it's going to take me a while to get up to speed with the game, it seems I have some land to claim?

Apparently so, and I have 40 roods to claim myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

I buy 90 roods from the Nomic Estate defined by the rectangle H25-M39.
I convert the entirety of my recently purchased land to factories at a cost of 30 internets.

That leaves me with 9 internets.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Fri May 06, 2011 6:14 am UTC

I like infinia's approach:

I build a road at BA1 and (BA-AX, 2).
I build a road at AQ40 and (AR, 40-41). Together these cost .8 internets

I announce the foundation of Echo in Turiski, located at AY2.
I convert Echo to a Mining Town. These cost 6 internets

I convert the roods located at (BA-BC, 3-7) and (BD 6-7) and (AX-AZ, 7) to farmland.
I convert the roods located at (AX, 8-15) and (AY-BD, 8-16) and (BE-BH, 6-15) to factories.
I convert the roods located at (AB-AR, 6) and (AS-AW, 2-6) and (AX, 2-3) to factories
I convert the roods located at (A-Y, 2-5) to factories.
I convert the roods located at BB49 and (BA, 49-50) and (AR-AZ, 49-51) and (AR-AW, 52-53) to factories.
Together, the conversions cost 104 internets, leaving me with .2 internets.

Today I will provide the map, tomorrow, the income updates, which I will place in the Active Players spoiler. I think I'll format it BASE+CORP (BASE) like Citizen and I did so that no subtracting is involved. The second BASE is the base next year, which should often be different because of the way farms+factories work.

I'd really rather host the image somewhere else to keep the thread relatively friendly to my slower computer, but none of them seem to want to preserve the quality of the 1.6 megabyte image, so I'm just putting it here until I can find somewhere... deviantart would probably take it if we wanted to set up an account.

At least it should be in a
Spoiler:
map[5-6].png
I saved the tiles I used this time for easy access. I haven't added mining towns to all of the players but since if any of you take that image and update it's going to be flat anyway, it really doesn't make that much difference.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Fri May 06, 2011 11:45 am UTC

Turiski wrote:I like infinia's approach:

Spoiler:
I build a road at BA1 and (BA-AX, 2).
I build a road at AQ40 and (AR, 40-41). Together these cost .8 internets

I announce the foundation of Echo in Turiski, located at AY2.
I convert Echo to a Mining Town. These cost 6 internets

I convert the roods located at (BA-BC, 3-7) and (BD 6-7) and (AX-AZ, 7) to farmland.
I convert the roods located at (AX, 8-15) and (AY-BD, 8-16) and (BE-BH, 6-15) to factories.
I convert the roods located at (AB-AR, 6) and (AS-AW, 2-6) and (AX, 2-3) to factories
I convert the roods located at (A-Y, 2-5) to factories.
I convert the roods located at BB49 and (BA, 49-50) and (AR-AZ, 49-51) and (AR-AW, 52-53) to factories.
Together, the conversions cost 104 internets, leaving me with .2 internets.

Today I will provide the map, tomorrow, the income updates, which I will place in the Active Players spoiler. I think I'll format it BASE+CORP (BASE) like Citizen and I did so that no subtracting is involved. The second BASE is the base next year, which should often be different because of the way farms+factories work.

I'd really rather host the image somewhere else to keep the thread relatively friendly to my slower computer, but none of them seem to want to preserve the quality of the 1.6 megabyte image, so I'm just putting it here until I can find somewhere... deviantart would probably take it if we wanted to set up an account.
Spoiler:
At least it should be in a [spoiler]
map[5-6].png
Spoiler:
I saved the tiles I used this time for easy access. I haven't added mining towns to all of the players but since if any of you take that image and update it's going to be flat anyway, it really doesn't make that much difference.

You could try DropBox.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

cyberjacob

Postby cyberjacob » Fri May 06, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

I make a motion to LOIC the computers of all internet users who fail to appreciate the comedy of XKCD. For purposes of voting, this shall be called CyberJacob's motion destroy trolls.

I also claim AF17 through AK23 under the yet-to-post rule

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

cyberjacob wrote:I make a motion to LOIC the computers of all internet users who fail to appreciate the comedy of XKCD. For purposes of voting, this shall be called CyberJacob's motion destroy trolls.

I also claim AF17 through AK23 under the yet-to-post rule

I suggest making a grammatical edit to your motion. Of course, only you can officially update the motion to something like: "I make a motion to LOIC the computers of all internet users who fail to appreciate the comedy of xkcd. For purposes of voting, this shall be called CyberJacob's motion to destroy trolls."
I cast my vote against CyberJacob's motion to destroy trolls. It's malicious, for one thing. Don't fight fire with fire - fight fire with water. So chill.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Fri May 06, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

@CyberJacob:
If we're being strict with the ruleset, that doesn't even count as a motion because it's not bold or italic.
If not, I cast my vote against CyberJacob's motion to destroy trolls for the same reasons as alexriehl. If you weren't a new player, I'd declare it ridiculous. Also, you need to submit an immigration form as per §5.2. Apart from that, welcome to the nomic!

By the way, we still need space maps.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Sat May 07, 2011 4:33 am UTC

First, a retraction. I purchased 14 more tiles of land than my accounts allowed: I retract my conversion of the roods at (49-50, AR-AX); the current map displays factories - they should be empty. This does not change my internet count. I accounted for this in the calculations of income.

Turiski's motion to create year 9/10 has 3 votes in favor, and it passes.
This motion has been approved with 3 votes in favor, 0 against. Turiski shall receive 3 internets for his/her meritous contribution.
Extra internets: +1 to John Citizen, Lorenz, Turiski.
These have already been added below.

Ruleset:
Spoiler:

§2.6: Time Anomalies:

§2.6.1: Year 9/10
Years 9 and 10 will be combined into "Year 9/10" in the following way: The 361st post did not mark the beginning of a new year. Any development areas or farms made before the 361th post will receive incomes after the 400th post; those made after it will receive incomes as usual. Year 9/10 acts as one year for the purposes of produce as well as income from farms and factories, and any bonuses on them. Voting on the Chairman of the Nomic begins instantly after this motion passes, and ends at the mid-point of year 11; their first duty is to announce the results for the Manager of the NCD. At the moment this motion passes, all players with land claims at the moment Infinia's suspension motion was passed are treated as if they just changed the gamestate, for the purposes of inactivity.
(Proposed by Turiski as Turiski's motion to create year 9/10; Approved by Turiski, Lorenz, John Citizen; Opposed by no one)
(Historical note: This motion was passed because several elections were running at the end of year 9 when the Nomic became inactive; this was to enable players to nominate and vote without concerns. If it is at least year 12, all but the first sentence of the rule may be removed (ending with "of a new year"), as well as this sentence.

(In original ruleset)

(In original ruleset)

(In original ruleset)

(new motion text)
"

Produce is produced by farms at a rate of 100 produce/rood of farm per year. To sell the produce, it must be connected to a settlement, city, or Capital City with a market, which can be upgrade from a settlement, city or Capital City at the cost of ¤2. For each farm, the internets earned from selling produce shall be defined by the formula ¤=6*sqrt(x), where x is the number of roods in the farm (rounded to the nearest sub-internet). This shall be multiplied by 2 for capital cities, and by 2/3 for settlements.

A city may contain more than one corporation, but the bonus from each is noncompoundable.

Active Motions
Spoiler:
John Citizen wrote:I make a motion to define an occupation. After a nomic year passes, the person who updated the map (including space maps) the most times is given the title "Controller of the Map", and is immediately awarded 10 internets. This occupation is renewed every year. John Citizen, Lorenz and ostrichguy will also gain a one-time payment of 0.1 internets from nobody in particular due to Turiski's pedantry. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's second motion to encourage map updates.

(Proposed by John Citizen; Approved by John Citizen; Opposed by no one)
Voting closes 9 May, 5:39a

CyberJacob wrote:I make a motion to LOIC the computers of all internet users who fail to appreciate the comedy of XKCD. For purposes of voting, this shall be called CyberJacob's motion destroy trolls.

(Proposed by CyberJacob; Approved by CyberJacob; Opposed by alexriehl, John Citizen; Abstainers were Turiski)
(This motion may not exist)
Voting closes 10 May, 5:42p
Players:
Spoiler:
The Nomic Estate: 196.4 internets, 0 roods on credit, 3740 roods claimed
_infina_: 48 internets, 0 roods on credit, 41 roods claimed
MatteoTom: 24 internets, 0 roods on credit, 10 roods claimed
Thorgold: 15 internets, 0 roods on credit, 42 roods claimed
ostrichguy: 12 internets, 1 rood on credit, 367 roods claimed
John Citizen: 12 internets, 0 roods on credit, 403 roods claimed; Income: 216.1+90.1 (384.1)
alexriehl: 7 internets, 40 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Turiski: 4.1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 411 roods claimed; Income: 213+81.6 (606.1)
Lorenz: 2 internet, 0 roods on credit, 10 roods claimed
HarvesteR: 30 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
coolguy5678: 26 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Krawl: 12 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
theFudge: 10 internets, 9 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
JonR: 7 internets, 15 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
MartinW: 5 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
turret: 5 internets, 20 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Boreeas: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
e^ipi+1=0: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
kerfuffleninja: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Moach: 4 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
NecklaceOfShadow: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
neoliminal: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Quate: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
skellious: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
snowyowl: 4 internets, 10 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Affinity: 3 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
sina wile toki moku: 1 internets, 1 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
Left Justified: 1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed
bkwinner: 0.1 internets, 0 roods on credit, 0 roods claimed

Active Players: 8/26
(No) Map Changes Needed:
Spoiler:
None.
The Map:
Spoiler:
map[5-6].png

Citizen, I would encourage you to look over our numbers a second time. I expected factories to be more profitable, but not -that- much more. Also, I combined the bonus from domestic and foreign corporations because it's just easier that way if multiple cities get involved.
Help for income-checking: The formula I used for my income was [2*( 325*(1/2)*1.3 + (34+33)*1/3 + 6*sqrt(34)+6*sqrt(33) )]; same format for year 9/10 but with 325=33 and 33=13 since I bought 20 farms and 292 factories.
Last edited by Turiski on Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Sat May 07, 2011 4:35 am UTC

In case there might be connectivity concerns, I build a road at AS49. This costs .1 internets and I have .1 internets remaining.

@ CyberJacob: As Citizen said (in more polite words), please read the ruleset more carefully.
I wish to abstain from voting on CyberJacob's motion destroy trolls since it might not exist, as he is not a player yet, and it looks like it will fail anyway.

(I split this post because apparently there's a 60,000 character cap on posts, which means that we should probably put the ruleset up on wikia or some other such site.)

cyberjacob

Postby cyberjacob » Sat May 07, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Turiski wrote:as he is not a player yet, and it looks like it will fail anyway.

I then wish to apply as a player. could you also point out what was wrong with my motion? it was in bold as required.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat May 07, 2011 11:23 am UTC

cyberjacob wrote:
Turiski wrote:as he is not a player yet, and it looks like it will fail anyway.

I then wish to apply as a player. could you also point out what was wrong with my motion? it was in bold as required.

All motions must be in bold AND Italics. Like this!
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Sat May 07, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

@CyberJacob:
the ruleset wrote:§5.2: Immigration Form:

Also, see §3.2.

I personally don't mind if you miss some of the rules, as long as you don't make the same mistake too many times - it seems that the ruleset is nearly 60 000 characters long. Others may not be so lenient, however.

@Turiski:

As you have requested that I do so, I'll calculate away.

Accounts:
Spoiler:
Accounts for Paradox
Roods of factory bought before this year: 6
Roods of factory bought this year: 0
Total factories: 6
Base income from factories = 2*(6/2)*1.15 = 6.9

Roods of farm bought before this year: 18
Roods of farm bought this year: 252
Total roods of farm: 270
Base income from produce = 2*6*sqrt(270) = 197.18012070185980084450912180829 = 197.2 (nearest sub-internet)
Current base income from farms = 2*(18/3) = 12
Next year base income from farms = 2*(270/3) = 180

Total base income (current) = 216.1
Total base income (next) = 384.1

Corp. multiplier for Paradox: 1.3
Corp. royalties to Turiski (current) = 21.6
Corp. royalties to Turiski (next) = 38.4

Accounts for Tet:
Total roods of factory: 0
Base income from factories = 0

Roods of farm bought before this year: 34
Total roods of farm: 34
Base income from produce = 6*sqrt(34) = 34.985711369071802825244917265273 = 35.0 (nearest sub-internet)
Base income from farms = (34/3) = 11.333... = 11.3 (nearest sub-internet)

Total base income = 46.3

Corp. multiplier for Tet: 1.3
Corp. royalties to John Citizen = 4.6

Accounts for Euphony
Roods of factory bought before this year: 13
Roods of factory bought this year: 292
Total roods of factory: 305
Base income from factories (current) = 2*(13/2)*(1+0.15+0.15) = 16.9
Base income from factories (next) = 2*(305/2)*(1+0.15+0.15) = 396.5

Roods of farm bought before this year: 13
Roods of farm bought this year: 23
Total roods of farm: 33
Base income from produce = (2/3)*6*sqrt(33) = 22.978250586152114639402445872876 = 23.0 (nearest sub-internet)
Base income from farms (current) = 2*(13/3) = 6.666... = 6.7 (nearest sub-internet)
Base income from farms (next) = 2*(33/3) = 22

Total base income (current) = 46.6
Total base income (next) = 441.5

Corp. multiplier for Euphony: 1.3
Corp. royalties to John Citizen (for this year) = 4.7
Corp. royalties to John Citizen (from next year) = 44.2

Turiski's base income (current) = 92.9
Turiski's base income (next) = 487.8

My base income is simply that for paradox.

Keep in mind that you do have more roods than me, contributing to your greater income.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Sat May 07, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

@ Citizen: I'm not sure where I got my monster numbers before. I agree almost entirely with your numbers; two objections:
[EDIT: Though I didn't ever resolve the issue, I consent to the amount I was given in page 11, post 2]

Accounts for Tet
I intended to make all of my farms connected to Euphony, however I see I've done a pretty piss-poor job at that, so I'll fix it later in the post. That would double all the income from that section, including the corp bonuses, so that gives 46.3+13.9 additional for me and 0+4.6 more to you.

Accounts for Euphony
Roods of factory bought before this year: 13
There were actually 33 factory roods before, and thus 335 currently. That raises all relevant numbers including the final income by 26+7.8 for me and 0+2.6 for you.

EDIT:
Roods of farm bought this year: 23
Got a little overzealous with the 3s; I only bought 20 farms. This doesn't change any final answers because you knew what you meant so you wrote 33=13+23 which is wrong but it gives the right answers :)

In total that is 72.3+21.7 for me and 0+6.2 for you, for both years, bringing the totals to:
Spoiler:
John Citizen's base income (current) = 216.1
John Citizen's base income (next) = 384.1
Corp. bonuses (current) = 64.8
Corp. bonuses (next) = 112.2

Corp. royalties to Turiski (current) = 21.6
Corp. royalties to Turiski (next) = 38.4

Turiski's base income (current) = 165.2
Turiski's base income (next) = 560.1
Corp. bonuses (current) = 49.5
Corp. bonuses (next) = 168

Corp. royalties to John Citizen (current) = 16.5
Corp. royalties to John Citizen (next) = 56

John Citizen's income statement: 216.1+81.3 (384.1)
Turiski's income statement: 165.2+71.1 (560.1)

To connect my farms in the Tet Metropolitan Area to Euphony, I move my boat from BB55 north 4 and east 1 to BA51 (Euphony). This does not actually change the map, since I had assumed (wrongly) that my boat had sailed there before.

EDIT: Actually it would change the map, but since I'm lazy and don't want to update the position of my boat I move my boat from BA51 west 1 and south 4 to BB55.

I have not changed the statements on the players tab above; I will do so if you approve the corrections.

@ Jacob: Citizen has a point, and I'm sorry for being so blunt.
Last edited by Turiski on Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

John Citizen

Postby John Citizen » Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 am UTC

I think that this is the last post of the year, so I'll use it to make me more money.

I hereby claim the land at BC31-BD40 and BE30-BE36.
I convert the land at BC31-BD40 and BE30-BE36 to farms.

(27 roods)

Cost: 2.7+9=11.7
0.3 internets remaining

From my reading of the ruleset, produce can only be sold once, but this does not apply to other sources of income. Hence:

I make a motion to fix a flaw in the ruleset. Farms and maufacturing areas can only be associated with one city, taken to be the one that would earn the greatest income after all bonuses are added. For purposes of voting, this shall be called John Citizen's motion to limit income from single areas.

Otherwise, people would just surround a manufacuring area or farm with cities.

Return to “Forum Games”