Super Dungeon Rumble-Recruiting for new game

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SuperTD

Super Dungeon Rumble-Recruiting for new game

Postby SuperTD » Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Some of you may remember a couple of years ago Christophoros created a game called Super dungeon Rumble-A player driven roleplaying game where the Super Hero Rumble system is used for combat because it is simple and easy. I've decided to give it another shot and I've had 5 people already say they want to play (One being Christophoros), and will take a sixth. The gist is that it is a standard fantasy D&D game, but the players create the story as they go along. I'm just here to run combat and give things a boost if they start slowing down.

Current players:
Dr Sofianos
Trumpkin
Christophoros
Markstonia
Tommy2995
Nevea

If these players don't confirm soon though I'll give they're spot to anyone else interested. A rules word document is attached. First come first served for the final spot. I'll post a link to the previous thread in case you want to get a feel for how the game ran. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35021&hilit=super+dungeon
Any questions can be directed to me or Christophoros, since he'll actually know the system better than me, since he created it.

And the starting item list. You have 10 gold to spend when purchasing items.
Spoiler:
Amulet of health - Gain 5 energy. - Cost 5
Amulet of natural armour - Gain 5 Damage Reduction - Cost 5
Armour of darkness - Only useable by Thieves - Your sneak attack does an additional 10 unavoidable damage - Cost 5
Armour of hardiness - Ignore the first 20 damage you take in each encounter - Cost 10
Axe of rage - Only useable by barbarians - Gain a +5 damage bonus to two attacks per round - Cost 5
Baliset of inspiration - Only useable by Bards - Your inspirations have a bonus of +5 - Cost 5
Blade of light - Only useable by Paladins - Grants a +10 attack bonus against undead - Cost 5
Blade of flame - Grants a +10 damage bonus to one attack per round - Cost 5
Blade of teaching - Only useable by Fighters - Gain an additional 10*(level)2 experience from each encounter - Cost 5
Bracers of archery - Only useable by Rangers - Gain a +15 attack bonus to one attack per round - Cost 10
Elixir of health - Disappears after use - Regain 15 energy - Cost 2
Gloves of power - Only useable by Monks - Gain either a +5 attack or +10 defence bonus each round - Cost 5
Mace of smiting - Only useable by Clerics - Once per encounter may grant a +25 attack bonus to an evil target. Cost 5.
Rapier - +5 on one flanking attack per round.
Ring of Friend shield - Once per encounter may grant a +30 defence bonus to a target ally - Cost 5
Ring of Ironskin - Once per encounter grants bearer +20 Damage reduction for that round - Cost 5
Ring of Protection - All attacks against the bearer are at -5 - Cost 10
Staff of fire - Only useable by Mages - Once per day may cast burning hands - Cost 5
Scimitar of the forests - Only useable by Druids - Once per day may cast entangle on an opponent when he is hit - Cost 5
Wand of missiles - Only useable by Sorcerers - May cast Magic Missile 5 times. Once all 5 charges have been used, the wand disintegrates. - Cost 5
Attachments
Super Dungeon Rumble SRD v2.doc
(316 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Last edited by SuperTD on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.
nightlina wrote:Damn.. if there was a cannon ball thrown for every time someone was wrong on the internet.. well... I don't think we'd have enough cannon balls!

Christophoros

Re: Super Dungeon Rumble-Now with a new GM.

Postby Christophoros » Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Cruthag Ironbreaker
Dwarven Cleric of Thor

Slow: All attacks against Cruthag are at +5

Magic User: Cruthag is a priest of Thor, and as such can call on His power.
Divine Magic: As Cruthag's prayers are manifestations of Thor's will, he does not need to spend gold on acquiring new prayers.
Healer: Cruthag can spontaneously convert any one of his prayers into the healing prayer of the same level, if one exists.

Prayers:
Virtue - Level 0 - Castable once per encounter - Target may spend an additional 15 energy next round.
Divine Favour - Level 1 - Castable once per day - You recieve +15 to each of your attacks for the rest of the encounter.
Doom - Level 1 - Castable once per day - Target enemy recieves -25 to attacks for the rest of the encounter.

Equipment:
Hammer of smiting - Only useable by Clerics - Once per encounter may grant a +25 attack bonus to an evil target. - Cost 5
Ring of Friend Shield - Once per encounter may grant a +30 defence bonus to target ally. - Cost 5

Energy: 70
"Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake."

"Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement."

Never Forget

Dr sofianos

Postby Dr sofianos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Name: Bromholm
Race: Northlander
Class: Barbarian
Item: Axe of rage - Only useable by barbarians - Gain a +5 damage bonus to two attacks per round - Cost 5
Starting energy: 85
Spoiler:
Bio: Bromholm was a proud and talented member of the great bear clan, a clan of strong and noble barbarians who were at constant war against a nearby half-elf clan.
He was taught the ways of combat by the clan's hero chief, Hussk who was a very famous warrior known for his brute strength and unnatural combat skills.
Four years ago when Bromholm and Hussk finished training in the nearby forests they arrived back at the clan camp only to find a massive force of half-elfs attacking and destroying everything in sight, the two barbarians rushed in and managed to force the half-elf raiders away from the camp but they were too late... the majority of the clan members were slaughtered and the few survivors eventually left the clan and went their separate ways.
Bromholm, now aged 24 has been adventuring by himself for the last 2 years in the hope that he will one day become a hero like Hussk.
Last edited by Dr sofianos on Tue May 10, 2011 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy2995

Postby Tommy2995 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Eaton Fry
Human Fighter

Skills
Warrior: Eaton has trained in the art of war since childhood and thus gains an extra 20 energy.
Defend: Eaton silently challenges a foe to a duel. This forces one opponent to attack only him.

Items
Blade of teaching- Gains an additional 10*(level)2 experience from each encounter - Cost 5
Amulet of natural armour - Gain 5 Damage Reduction - Cost 5

Energy

I hope I got everything right.
I am Dave! Yognaught and I have the balls!

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Seems fine. You can add a backstory to your characters in advance, or you can just develop their personality through play, I don't mind.
nightlina wrote:Damn.. if there was a cannon ball thrown for every time someone was wrong on the internet.. well... I don't think we'd have enough cannon balls!

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 6:14 am UTC

I'd love to play if there's an open spot :) Shall I work on a character?
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Sure, just make up a character and post it. I know markstonia intends to be a ranger, but you could take any other class. Dr Sofianos, could you just edit in your starting energy to your character? You start with 85, due to warrior and northlander bonuses.
Also, I'm interpreting Slow and Raging (Dwarf and Northlander) as the same thing. Any suggestions on a change to either penalty?

markstonia

Re: Super Dungeon Rumble-Signups closed

Postby markstonia » Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 am UTC

Fin Crosswood
Halfling Ranger

Small: Lose 5 energy.
Nimble: Add 10 to your defence
Warrior: Gain 20 energy. For each level that this power improves, gain an additional 5 energy.
Deadeye Shot: You may only attack one target this round. Add +10 to your attack.

Equipment:
Bracers of archery - Only useable by Rangers - Gain a +15 attack bonus to one attack per round - Cost 10

Bio:
Fin was born in Cornwood, and lived there until the great dragon attack. He remembered the mayor Crusty Hairs who had been agreat mayor, if even at times he could be grumpy and nearly always drunk. After the great dragon attack he began hunting Keymanks on the penisular where he learned the ways of a ranger, he has since been travelling around looking for any adventure that would come his way.

Energy
In the end everything boils down to prostitution and drugs

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

That seems fine, just Trumpkin and Nevea to creat characters and then we can roll. Just a note, you can start with weapons and armour without buying them, but they have no effect in combat. So If you bought a sword of teaching you could still say you wore armour just for the roleplaying side. If you bought no special item you just assign your energy normally.
Last edited by SuperTD on Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue May 10, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

SuperTD wrote:Also, I'm interpreting Slow and Raging (Dwarf and Northlander) as the same thing. Any suggestions on a change to either penalty?

Since Defence cannot be negative, they are different. Also, the bonus to attack stacks with multiple attackers, which the bonus defence doesn't. Basically Slow is worse than Raging.

Never Forget

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

I see that defence can't be negative, but I'm not sure I understand the second point. If you declare 60 defence, which is reduced to 55, then all enemies who attack you are at +5 to hit, which is the same as slow. Or is this wrong?

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue May 10, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

I confirm. I'll make my character now.
Washington: You have to be the most immature soldiers I've ever met.
Grif: Your face is immature.
Washington: Shut up!

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

No, if you have 55 defence, and two people each attack you for 30, then you take 5 damage. (30+30=60. 60-55=5)

If you have 60 defence, and two people each attack you for 35, you take 10 damage. (35+35=70. 70-60=10)

Never Forget

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

Ah, Gotcha.

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue May 10, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Name: Dirkstring Theringroid
Race: Half Elf
Class: Thief
Items: Armour of darkness, Rapier
Energy: 60
Bio: Coming from a nomadic family, Dirkstring's life was changed forever when his family was living in the woods. All seemed to be well but then his parents were murdered by a creature known only as "The Conejo". After that day he resolved to take up life as an adventurer where he would embark on quests that would make the world a safer place. Believing a stealthy approach was best against enemies, he decided to pursue the skills of a thief.

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

Nevea Selesnya
Halfling Paladin
Level 1

Statistics:
Defense: +10
Attack: +10 vs. Undead
Energy: 70
Damage Reduction: +5

Traits:
Small: Lose 5 energy
Warrior 1: Gain 20 energy. For each level that this power improves, gain an additional 5 energy.
Nimble: Add 10 to your defense

Skills:
Lay on Hands: Burn X, where X is no greater than your levelx10. Target regains X energy.

Equipment:
[Blade of Light]: Grants a +10 attack bonus against Undead.
[Amulet of Natural Armor]: Gain 5 damage reduction. (Spent 5 energy to convert into gold, per the rules)
[Ring of Ironskin]: Once per encounter grants bearer +20 damage reduction for that round.

Nevea was raised in a proud military city-state. Hardened and spiritual, he has devoted his life to standing up against all evils through whatever means necessary. He is loyal to his party and will give all that he can to ensure their survival, even his own life. With such devotion to his Gods, can death truly be so terrible as long as he has led a righteous life?
Last edited by Nevea on Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Everything seems fine now, so lets begin.

You awake to shouting, and stumble bleary eyed out of your tent to discover the source of the commotion. A soft morning sun shines upon the damp grass, and sparkles off the dew. You can see the remains of the fire from the night before, now a pile of burnt logs next to the river bank. Unfortunately this normally tranquil scene is being rather distubed by the screams of a woman, who seems to be searching desperately for someone-running throught the nearby patch of trees and looking around desperately.
"William! William! Where are you son? William!" Then she hurtles towards the group of you, and started beating furiously on Eaton's chest.
"Where is he? You were meant to be guarding him! How could you let him get taken?" The distraught woman sinks to her knees in front of you, the guards hired to protect her son on his travel to the capital.

The rules for roleplaying are: No controlling other players' characters, and no giving yourself freestuff. Just use common sense with it.

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Quick aside... I've altered my equipment if that is alright!

While Eaton is distracted by the distraught mother, I head over to William's tent to look for clues. I notice first that his gear (sword and shield) are missing, but his pack and bed are still present. It would appear that he headed out earlier with plans to return.

markstonia

Postby markstonia » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Fin looks around to see if he can spot anything, he looks in to the trees and see's something move out of the corner of his eye, but when he looked around again nothing is moving. He begins to head to the edge of the woods and look in to see what he can see.

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

The idea is you write what you do as if it is a story. E.g. Nevea ignored the crying lady, and headed straight for the son's tent. Noticing the presence of his shield and sword, his mind jumped straight to the conclusion that he was intending to return.

Since I'm DM I can write in whatever style I choose of course :D Also, you don't have tto get a response from me to know what's in the woods-you can describe it yourself. It's a player driven game, so YOU control most of the story.

And the new items are fine.

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

I call out to the group, "Looks like he may have gone hunting... or at least got distracted. What say we head out to search for him and leave a guard by the camp with his mother?" I point to a nearby guard and give him his orders. The mother still looks worried, but heads over to Will's tent and slinks inside. I rally on Fin, "His mother seems awfully worried... he's probably just searching for breakfast."

markstonia

Postby markstonia » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

"Maybe, but i'm sure I saw something in the woods, look there!" Fin points to a cluster of small trees about 100 yards away, behind them seems to be some sort of creature, upon listening it appears to be wheezing, as if its out of breath. Fin says to Nevea, "Look can you see it, over there by the Birch trees."

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

"My eyes aren't as trained as yours may be, ranger. Let's head out!" I signal the gang to follow Fin and I.

"Fin, what else can you see?"

markstonia

Postby markstonia » Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

Fin heads over to towards the cluster of trees, instructing everyone to be alert, but to stay back. Fin calls out, "Hello, are you alright?"

The wheezing creature replies in a gruff Dwarvish voice, "Aye i be fine lad, I just been chasing an evil foe thats all."

Fin signals to everyone that it appears to be okay, and begins talking to the dwarf. "So Dwarf why are you out here? And who were you chasing?"
"My name is Orik :wink: . I've been following a band of kobolds through these woods, for several days now, then last night I lost track of them, though this morning i followed them for abit and they seemed to have a boy with them, unfortunatley I couldn't catch them in time, before they dissappeared with not trace."

Tommy2995

Postby Tommy2995 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

"Now now luv", Eaton says to the woman attempting to calm her down, "He can't of gotten far, we'll find 'im, or my name ain't Eaton Fry! Besides, the lads seem to be onto somethin' already." Eaton sets the woman down, offers her some of his water and goes to join Fin and Nevea. "What's goin' on 'ere lads? What ya banterin' about?" Eaton sees the dwarf and says, "Ello. 'How can we 'elp you?"

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Orik replies, "Just need a moment to catch m'breath! You all go on without me, I think the Kobolds are headed further downstream. You'd better hurry, I'm worried tha' boy got in way over 'is head. He had a weapon with 'im but those Kobolds are fiesty little critters, 'specially in a group that size!"

I nod to the gang. "Ready for some action?" I start heading downstream looking for the Kobolds, sword at the ready.

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Try and keep our D&D inside jokes to a minimum since Nevea and Christophoros won't get them :)

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue May 10, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Dirkstring, whilst following Nevea, thought to himself. Right, this paladin seems ready for a frontal charge, hopefully I'll be able to take the kobolds by surprise when they're fighting him and the others. But just as he was thinking this he thought he heard something in a nearby tree. Looking in the direction of the noise he realised he saw a kobold...and it was looking right at him. "Ambush!"

Tommy2995

Postby Tommy2995 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Eaton draws his weapon and takes his position up at the front ready to protect his, as he would put it, "squishy" friends.

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

I hear a scuffle behind me and swing around to spot Dirk eye-to-eye with a Kobold (#1), with 3 more closing in behind him. I rush to his backside and draw my blade! I'll be attacking Kobold #2.

"ON GUARD TEAM!"
Last edited by Nevea on Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Cruthag stumbled through the trees, his vision swaying gently. He felt a rumble deep inside his belly, and raised his tankard once more to his lips. Nothing. Surprised, he looked inside, and to his horror saw the bottom of the flagon staring back at him. Disgusted, he hooked the flagon back on his belt, and stopped briefly to lean against a nearby tree. "Phew, Cruthag me ole mate, What are we doin' here ay? No booze, no wenches, just trees and mud as far as the eye can see. I get the feelin' that blasted elf was havin' me on, sayin' there were skeletons in these woods. I'll teach him. When I find my way back, that is." Taking a step forward, Cruthag slipped and fell, landing with a thump on his back looking up at the trees. The pain was quickly replaced by joy, as up in the tree he could clearly see a skeletal figure holding some sort of bow. It was small, maybe only 3 feet high, but it was definitely a skeleton. Off to one side, he heard a yell, "Ambush!" Evidently someone else had encountered these beasts. Clearing his head, he staggered to his feet, drawing his hammer, and roaring loudly, "Arak Az Thor! Brek, no Kahck Thor!"

Never Forget

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue May 10, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

Nevea, we're allowed to say in general what we're doing, (attacking kobold 2, defending Trumpkin), but can't commit energy until SuperTD begins a combat officially. Also, we need to PM him our moves rather than putting them here in the thread. It makes it much easier for him.

Having GM'd this myself previously, I would recommend (for SuperTD's ease) all move PM's go something like this:

Starting energy :
Defence: (In brackets any bonuses you get to defence)
Attack 1: Target, amount (In brackets any bonuses you get to these attacks)
Attack 2:
Powers Used:
Any other Business:

Never Forget

Nevea

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Christophoros wrote:No, if you have 55 defence, and two people each attack you for 30, then you take 5 damage. (30+30=60. 60-55=5)

If you have 60 defence, and two people each attack you for 35, you take 10 damage. (35+35=70. 70-60=10)

In regards to Damage Reduction: I'm assuming it activates once each round, not stacking per attacker. Is this correct?

So in the first scenario if I had 5 damage reduction (5 DmgRed) I would take 0 dmg total. In the second scenario I would take 5. The alternative if DmgRed stacks is that I would could possibly take zero damage in scenario two by assigning 5 damage from each enemy.

EDIT: Thanks Chris. I edited my post and sent a PM expecting him to declare combat soon. In the PM, should we also address which round we are currently in to avoid confusion with multiple PMs?

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Tue May 10, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Nevea wrote:EDIT: Thanks Chris. I edited my post and sent a PM expecting him to declare combat soon. In the PM, should we also address which round we are currently in to avoid confusion with multiple PMs?

Sorry, yes, I knew I forgot something. I'd include that in the message title. Something like, "Kobolds, Round 1, Cruthag"

Also yes, your assumptions on DR are correct.

Never Forget

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Combat has begun

Yes, please label the round number in the post, as in the previous game there was a moment of confusion over what round moves were for. I was thinking DR affects each attack, otherwise it would have been more worthwhile to stick with the extra 5 energy. So If you are attacked for 20 you take 15, but two lots of 10 deal 5 each. Try to get moves in reasonably fast, I'd like each round to take a day, 2 at most. I assign moves for the kobold before I know what moves you lot do to keep things fair.

The four kobolds spring forward, hopping from foot to foot in glee over the blood that's about to be spilt.
Last edited by SuperTD on Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nevea

Re: Super Dungeon Rumble-Combat Round 1

Postby Nevea » Tue May 10, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Converting 5 energy into 5 gold to pay for 5 DmgRed would still be worth it even if DmgRed doesn't stack because there are multiple rounds. Essentially, I have 5 less energy to begin an encounter, but if the encounter last for 3 rounds, that's potentially 15 damage that I'm reducing. While 5 DmgRed from each hit would be ideal (;P) I think it would be a little OP.

Also, would it be a good idea to have a 'default energy allocation plan' if a group member is absent for a round or encounter? Should 2 days pass without a response from the player the GM can either allocate the energy for him, the player can set up a personal allocation plan, or we can use a standard plan (80% defense, 20% attack, no abilities) that applies to all characters. Thoughts?

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Wed May 11, 2011 6:47 am UTC

If you have 5 more energy to start with in a battle, then each round you could assign that energy to defense, which gives you that 5 DR anyway. You could also assign it to attack, giving you more flexibility. By only blocking 5 a round, doesn't that just limit what you could have used the extra 5 energy for?

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Yes. That's exactly what it does. DR is not as good as energy. Just like a damage bonus is not as good as an attack bonus. That's intentional.

Also, how many kobolds have we got?

Never Forget

SuperTD

Postby SuperTD » Wed May 11, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

You have 5 kobolds attacking you.
Then if energy is better than DR, why burn 5 energy on character creation for DR, if it only affects once per round? The argument that you start with 5 extra energy, but will get more DR over the combat doesn't make sense. That extra 5 energy would also be with you each round. It seems like a worthless item.
Last edited by SuperTD on Wed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Wed May 11, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

DR also applies to powers and things that defence doesn't block. Unless something says, "unavoidable" damage, then DR applies.

Also, does that 4 include my skeletal one?

Never Forget

Return to “Forum Games”