Nomic 16.0

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Nomic 16.0

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

Anybody for a nice game of Nomic? Starting rules adapted from Nomic 15.0.

This is a game of Nomic, and the starting rules are as follows:

§001:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.

§002:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to promote ahammel to the cerimonial position of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as ahammel's motion to grant himself a meaningless title."

§003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of ahammel's motion to grant himself a meaningless title.".

§004:
If at any point there are three votes from three different players in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes from three different players against a motion, the motion fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Snark

Re: Nomic 16.0

Postby Snark » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

I make a motion to have this motion passed. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snark's motion to pass a self-referencing motion.

Do I need to vote in favor of my own motion? Or is it implied?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 am UTC

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYES! I always wanted to play Nomic.

I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to pass a self-referencing motion.

I make a motion to add the following rule: At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted or refused. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as orangedragonfire's motion to stop motion spamming.

shirosuzume

Postby shirosuzume » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:06 am UTC

nifty :)

I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to stop motion spamming.

I make a motion to add the following rule: In order to make a motion, a player must vote on at least one other motion that is as of that moment undecided. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as shirosuzume's motion to require a vote when making a motion.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 am UTC

But then... if all current motions have been accepted/refused, how could anyone make a new motion? There would be no motions to vote on, and without voting you wouldn't be allowed to make a new motion... it's an evil circle. Therefore:

I cast my vote against shirosuzume's motion to require a vote when making a motion.

shirosuzume

Postby shirosuzume » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:23 am UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:But then... if all current motions have been accepted/refused, how could anyone make a new motion? There would be no motions to vote on, and without voting you wouldn't be allowed to make a new motion... it's an evil circle.

I see your point, but if every motion needs at least three (and could have as many as five) votes before it is passed or defeated, you could then theoretically create five new motions for each rule that was voted to completion.

Still, if a group of people got together and each of them voted on all of the motions currently open without creating any new ones, you could theoretically shut down the game, so it's probably not a good idea. What I was trying to avoid was having a situation of 100 open motions, new ones always getting created, and nobody voting on old ones. I wonder if there's a good way to do that.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 am UTC

I like orangedragonfire's logic so:

I cast my vote against shirosuzume's motion to require a vote when making a motion.

Also, I will cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to stop motion spamming IF I am assured that one is allowed to withdraw one's motion. Otherwise I may make a motion and be trapped with that defunct motion if people ignore it.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:35 am UTC

I make a motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least one week. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as JesseScottOwen's motion to make a new rule for the heck of it.
Last edited by JesseScottOwen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

I'm giving up smiling for Lent. Not really.

shirosuzume

Postby shirosuzume » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Snark wrote:Also, I will cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to stop motion spamming IF I am assured that one is allowed to withdraw one's motion.

So... make a motion that says just that :) as his motion hasn't passed yet, you can have more than one motion open.

*EDIT: It appears my motion has failed. Okie. I need some lobbyists ;).

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:56 am UTC

Overview (status as of this post)

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:
Any player may set forth a motion to take some official action. Official actions include, but are not limited to, amendment of or additions of rules.

§002:
All official motions must be in bold and italics and begin with "I make a motion to..." Additionally, official motions must end with "For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as [username]'s motion to...", followed by a summary of the motion's actions, with "[username]" replaced by the motion-maker's username. For example, one could say "I make a motion to promote ahammel to the cerimonial position of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as ahammel's motion to grant himself a meaningless title."

§003:
To vote in favor of or against a motion, one must declare one's vote by saying "I cast my vote [in favor of/against] [motion-maker]'s motion to [motion summary]." For example, one could say "I cast my vote in favor of ahammel's motion to grant himself a meaningless title.".

§004:
If at any point there are three votes from three different players in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes from three different players against a motion, the motion fails. If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails.

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion #1 Snark's motion to pass a self-referencing motion
Motion to have this motion passed.
Votes: 3 for (orangedragonfire, shirosuzume, JesseScottOwen), 0 against
Motion accepted

Motion #2 orangedragonfire's motion to stop motion spamming
Motion to add the following rule: At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted or refused.
Votes: 2 for (shirosuzume, JesseScottOwen), 0 against

Motion #3 shirosuzume's motion to require a vote when making a motion
Motion to add the following rule: In order to make a motion, a player must vote on at least one other motion that is as of that moment undecided.
Votes: 0 for, 3 against (orangedragonfire, Snark, JesseScottOwen)
Motion refused

Motion #4 JesseScottOwen's motion to make a new rule for the heck of it
Motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least one week.
Votes: 0 for, 0 against

Active Motions
Spoiler:
Motion to add the following rule: At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted or refused.
Votes: 2 for (shirosuzume, JesseScottOwen), 0 against

Motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least one week.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:29 am UTC

I make a motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:52 am UTC

I make a motion to add the following rule: Any player may at any point retract their active motion. §005 shall be edited to say "accepted, refused or retracted" instead of "accepted or refused" For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as orangedragonfire's motion of motion retraction.

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:

§005:
At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted or refused.

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion accepted

Votes: 3 for (shirosuzume, JesseScottOwen, matt96), 0 against
Motion accepted (added to rules as §005)

Motion to add the following rule: In order to make a motion, a player must vote on at least one other motion that is as of that moment undecided.
Motion refused

Motion #5 Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time
Motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days.

Motion #6 orangedragonfire's motion of motion retraction
Motion to add the following rule: Any player may at any point retract their active motion. §005 shall be edited to say "accepted, refused or retracted" instead of "accepted or refused".

Active Motions
Spoiler:

Motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days.

Motion to add the following rule: Any player may at any point retract their active motion. §005 shall be edited to say "accepted, refused or retracted" instead of "accepted or refused".
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:02 am UTC

I make a motion to allow anyone (not just the motion creator) to amend the rule set once a motion is passed. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule.

More specifically, I'd like this part of §004: "If the motion passes, and requires that the rules be amended, the motion-maker must do this as soon as possible, and post the revised ruleset. If the motion-maker fails to do this within 48 hours of the motion's passage, the motion's state is changed, and it fails." to be changed to "If the motion passes, someone should amend the rules as soon as possible."

I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion of motion retraction.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 am UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule.

I'm not sure about the other two motions still active... since they're basically saying the same thing, only with different time periods. Not sure which one is more sensible, or if we should have one at all. (for now, of course, it doesn't make any difference. But do imagine it possible that veto rights are introduced at some point, enabling people to stop motions even after they passed.)

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:11 am UTC

I cast my vote against Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule
However, I would vote in favor if it was to allow anyone to propose an alternate version, where whichever version is passed first is the one added to the rules.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:11 am UTC

matt96 wrote:

I make a motion to add the following rule: After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time.

My rule originally said three days. I hate myself.

I cast my vote in favor of Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time.

Hope this clears things up.
"And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 am UTC

matt96 wrote:I cast my vote against Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule
However, I would vote in favor if it was to allow anyone to propose an alternate version, where whichever version is passed first is the one added to the rules.

I'm having a hard time understanding what these means, matt96.

My rule is to allow whomever happens to be online to go ahead and post a recently passed motion in the rules instead of giving the original motion creator 48 hours to return to the thread and do it themselves.

What you said seems to apply best to your and JesseScottOwen's similar minimum time rules currently on the table, and I don't understand how it relates to my rule in the least.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule
I cast my vote in favor of Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time

I make a motion to add the following rule: Motion must be numbered at the end of a motion, instead of summarized. For example, This notion should become "Tim's motion #1" instead of"Tim's motion to make motions numbered". For the purpose of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Tim's motion to make motions numbered.
An alteration of rule #002, making stuff easier to type :D

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
matt96 wrote:I cast my vote against Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule

I'm having a hard time understanding what these means, matt96.

My rule is to allow whomever happens to be online to go ahead and post a recently passed motion in the rules instead of giving the original motion creator 48 hours to return to the thread and do it themselves.

What you said seems to apply best to your and JesseScottOwen's similar minimum time rules currently on the table, and I don't understand how it relates to my rule in the least.

Oops, I misread your rule I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

I cast my vote against Tim's motion to make motions numbered.
Just use copy-paste, so you don't have to type the entire summary. I think the summaries are good, so that you know at once what players are referring to when voting, instead of having to look it up.

I make a motion to add the following rule: All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate. Should a nickname receive three votes against, the player has to pick a new nickname. For the purpose of voting, this motion shall be referred to as orangedragonfire's motion to create nicknames.

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:
If at any point there are three votes from three different players in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes from three different players against a motion, the motion fails. If the motion passes, someone should amend the ruleset as soon as possible.

§005:
At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted, refused or retracted.

§006:
Any player may at any point retract their active motion.

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion accepted

Motion refused

Votes: 2 for (JesseScottOwen, t1mm01994), 0 against

Votes: 3 for (Snark, matt96, t1mm01994), 0 against
Motion accepted

Motion #7 Snark's motion to remove a pointless rule
Motion to allow anyone (not just the motion creator) to amend the rule set once a motion is passed.
Votes: 3 for (orangedragonfire, t1mm01994, matt96), 0 against
Motion accepted

Motion #8 Tim's motion to make motions numbered
Motion to add the following rule: Motion must be numbered at the end of a motion, instead of summarized. For example, This notion should become "Tim's motion #1" instead of"Tim's motion to make motions numbered".
Votes: 0 for, 1 against (orangedragonfire)

Motion #9 orangedragonfire's motion to create nicknames
Motion to add the following rule: All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate.

Active Motions
Spoiler:

Motion to add the following rule: Motion must be numbered at the end of a motion, instead of summarized. For example, This notion should become "Tim's motion #1" instead of"Tim's motion to make motions numbered".

Motion to add the following rule: All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Hey orangedragonfire! I love the summaries you've been doing, but I have a slight correction I'd like you to make: My motion was passed when matt96 switched his vote.

I'd rather not redo the whole thing again right after you did, so do you mind editing?

I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to create nicknames.

I am currently neutral on the motions of t1mm, matt96, and JesseScottOwen.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to create nicknames.

I retract my (JesseScottOwen's) motion to make a new rule for the heck of it.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

I know, I noticed the mistake right after I posted. It should be fixed now.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

I make a motion to add an arbitrary point system to this game. If a person gets their motion passed, they get 2 points. If it fails, they lose 1 point. If you break a rule, you lose a point. Players may give their points, or any integer subset of their points, to another player. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snark's motion to add a plot to this game.

Edit: Negative points revert to zero. Players may not give more points than they currently have.
Last edited by Snark on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

I make a motion to add the following rule: If someone plays a King, or uses a word starting with "k", the next poster must preface their post with, "All hail Chairman Mao." For the purpose of voting, this motion shall be referred to as JesseScottOwen's motion to give due respect to the Chairman.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor orangedragonfire's motion to create nicknames.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

I pick the nickname Fiery.

I cast my vote against JesseScottOwen's motion to give due respect to the Chairman.
Mixing Mao and Nomic... yeah, is as bad as driving and deriving drunk at the same time.

I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to add a plot to this game.

I make a motion to give the following powers to the person holding the title of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic:
1) The ability to veto the last motion that has been passed.
2) The privilege to doublepost in this thread.
3) Permission to have two active motions at once.
4) The right to brag about this title.
Note that in order for someone to hold this title, there must first be a rule stating that it is given to someone. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as orangedragonfire's motion to mess with the first post.

(basically, the first post claims the title of Grand High Poobah of Nomic is meaningless. Let's prove it wrong, and honor this most prestigious title.)

Players
Spoiler:
(Only those with nicknames are listed)
orangedragonfire "Fiery"

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:
If at any point there are three votes from three different players in favor of a motion, the motion passes and is acted upon. If at any point there are three votes from three different players against a motion, the motion fails. If the motion passes, someone should amend the ruleset as soon as possible.

§005:
At any time each player can only have one active motion. Before a player can make a new motion, his/her last motion must have been either accepted, refused or retracted.

§006:

§007:
All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate. Should a nickname receive three votes against, the player has to pick a new nickname.

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion accepted

Motion refused

Motion retracted

Motion accepted

Motion to allow anyone (not just the motion creator) to amend the rule set once a motion is passed.
Motion accepted

Votes: 0 for, 2 against (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen)

Motion to add the following rule: All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate. Should a nickname receive three votes against, the player has to pick a new nickname.
Votes: 3 for (Snark, JesseScottOwen, matt96), 0 against
Motion accepted

Motion #10 Snark's motion to add a plot to this game
Motion to add an arbitrary point system to this game. If a person gets their motion passed, they get 2 points. If it fails, they lose 1 point. If you break a rule, you lose a point. Players may give their points, or any integer subset of their points, to another player. Negative points revert to zero. Players may not give more points than they currently have.
Votes: 1 for (orangedragonfire), 0 against

Motion #11 JesseScottOwen's motion to give due respect to the Chairman
Motion to add the following rule: If someone plays a King, or uses a word starting with "k", the next poster must preface their post with, "All hail Chairman Mao."

Motion #12 orangedragonfire's motion to mess with the first post
Motion to give the following powers to the person holding the title of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic:
Note that in order for someone to hold this title, there must first be a rule stating that it is given to someone.

Active Motions
Spoiler:

Votes: 0 for, 2 against (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen)

Motion to add an arbitrary point system to this game. If a person gets their motion passed, they get 2 points. If it fails, they lose 1 point. If you break a rule, you lose a point. Players may give their points, or any integer subset of their points, to another player. Negative points revert to zero. Players may not give more points than they currently have.
Votes: 1 for (orangedragonfire), 0 against

Motion to add the following rule: If someone plays a King, or uses a word starting with "k", the next poster must preface their post with, "All hail Chairman Mao."

Motion to give the following powers to the person holding the title of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic:
Note that in order for someone to hold this title, there must first be a rule stating that it is given to someone.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

I pick the nickname QQQVAR
I used a string generator from RANDOM.ORG
I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to mess with the first post.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

I pick the nickname Godwin.

I cast my vote in favor of Fiery's motion to mess with the first post.

I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to add a plot to this game.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

I choose the nickname Snarky.

I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to mess with the first post.

I cast my vote in favor of Matt96's motion to set a reasonable minimum rule time.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Jeez, I'm away for two days and all of the sudden people are playing and stuff.

I pick the nickname Alex, since that is my name.

I cast my vote against Tim's motion to make motions numbered. Motion fails.
I cast my vote in favor of Snark's motion to add a plot to this game. Motion passes.
I cast my vote against JesseScottOwen's motion to give due respect to the Chairman.
I cast my vote in favor of orangedragonfire's motion to mess with the first post

I make a motion to ammend the rule set to include the following rule:

§008 One player will have the position of arbiter. Any other player may request clarification on any of the rules by posting "I request clarification on rule [rule number]...", followed by a brief description of the ambiguity. The arbiter will have the ability to amend the rule set to remove the ambiguity. The decisions of the arbiter may be overturned only by passing a motion to amend the rule set.

In the event that this motion passes an arbiter will be selected by the following procedure: any player may nominate any other player (including himself or herself) for the position by posting "I nominate [nickname] for the position of arbiter." Any player aside from the nominator may second the nomination by posting "I second the nomination of [nickname] for the position of arbiter. Once a player has been nominated and seconded by two different players, he or she must accept the positon by posting "I accept the position or arbiter". The first player to do so becomes the arbiter.

For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be refered to as Alex's motion to create the position of arbiter.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Alex's motion to create the position of arbiter.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

I make a motion to elect myself Grand High Poobah of the Nomic. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Snark's motion to have a political campaign.

I vote in favor of Alex's motion to create the position of arbiter.

Players
Spoiler:
Username Nickname Points
orangedragonfire "Fiery" 0
matt96 "QQQVAR" 0
JesseScottOwen "Godwin" 0
Snark "Snarky" 0
ahammel "Alex" 0

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:

§005:

§006:

§007:
All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate. Should a nickname receive three votes against, the player has to pick a new nickname.

§008:
The person holding the title of Grand High Poobah of the Nomic has:
*Note that in order for someone to hold this title, there must first be a rule stating that it is given to someone.

§009:
After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days.

§010: Each player may gain or lose points in the following manner. Players start with zero points. If a person gets their motion passed, they get 2 points. If it fails, they lose 1 point. If you break a rule, you lose 1 point. Players may give their points, or any integer subset of their points, to another player. Negative points revert to zero. Players may not give more points than they currently have.

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion accepted

Motion refused

Motion retracted

Votes: 3 for (JesseScottOwen, t1mm01994, Snark), 0 against
Motion accepted (added to rules as §009)

Motion accepted (added to rules as §006)

Motion accepted (rule §005 updated)

Votes: 0 for, 3 against (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen, Snark)
Motion refused

Motion to add the following rule: All players must pick a nickname. They are not allowed to vote or make motions until such time as they have chosen one. Nicknames cannot be more than six letters long. A nickname is officially chosen by writing "I pick the nickname [nickname]". Other players may cast votes against nicknames if they deem them inappropriate. Should a nickname receive three votes against, the player has to pick a new nickname.
Motion accepted (added to rules as §007)

Votes: 3 for (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen, ahammel), 0 against
Motion accepted (added to rules as §010)

Votes: 0 for, 3 against (orangedragonfire, ahammel, matt96)
Motion refused

Votes: 3 for (matt96, JesseScottOwen, Snark), 0 against
Motion accepted (added to rules as §008)

Motion #13 Alex's (ahammel's) motion to create the position of arbiter.
Motion to amend the rule set to include the following rule: One player will have the position of arbiter. Any other player may request clarification on any of the rules by posting "I request clarification on rule [rule number]...", followed by a brief description of the ambiguity. The arbiter will have the ability to amend the rule set to remove the ambiguity. The decisions of the arbiter may be overturned only by passing a motion to amend the rule set. In the event that this motion passes, an arbiter will be selected by the following procedure: any player may nominate any other player (including himself or herself) for the position by posting "I nominate [nickname] for the position of arbiter." Any player aside from the nominator may second the nomination by posting "I second the nomination of [nickname] for the position of arbiter. Once a player has been nominated and seconded by two different players, he or she must accept the positon by posting "I accept the position or arbiter". The first player to do so becomes the arbiter.
Votes: 2 for (matt96, Snark), 0 against

Motion #14 Snark's motion to have a political campaign.
Motion to elect Snark as Grand High Poobah of the Nomic.

Active Motions
Spoiler:
Motion #13 Alex's (ahammel's) motion to create the position of arbiter.
Motion to ammend the rule set to include the following rule: One player will have the position of arbiter. Any other player may request clarification on any of the rules by posting "I request clarification on rule [rule number]...", followed by a brief description of the ambiguity. The arbiter will have the ability to amend the rule set to remove the ambiguity. The decisions of the arbiter may be overturned only by passing a motion to amend the rule set. In the event that this motion passes, an arbiter will be selected by the following procedure: any player may nominate any other player (including himself or herself) for the position by posting "I nominate [nickname] for the position of arbiter." Any player aside from the nominator may second the nomination by posting "I second the nomination of [nickname] for the position of arbiter. Once a player has been nominated and seconded by two different players, he or she must accept the positon by posting "I accept the position or arbiter". The first player to do so becomes the arbiter.
Votes: 2 for (matt96, Snark), 0 against

Motion #14 Snark's motion to have a political campaign.
Motion to elect Snark as Grand High Poobah of the Nomic.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

/EDIT: can anyone confirm whether the overview is correct?

I cast my vote in favor of Alex's motion to create the position of arbiter. Motion passes. Alex gains 2 points.

I cast my vote against Snark's motion to have a political campaign.

I make a motion to give 5 points to Alex. After all, he made the game, so he deserves it. For the purposes of voting, this motion shall be refered to as Fiery's motion to reward the creator of the game.

Players
Spoiler:
Username Nickname Points
ahammel "Alex" 2
orangedragonfire "Fiery" 0
matt96 "QQQVAR" 0
JesseScottOwen "Godwin" 0
Snark "Snarky" 0

Current Ruleset
Spoiler:
§001:

§002:

§003:

§004:

§005:

§006:

§007:

§008:
One player will have the position of arbiter. Any other player may request clarification on any of the rules by posting "I request clarification on rule [rule number]...", followed by a brief description of the ambiguity. The arbiter will have the ability to amend the rule set to remove the ambiguity. The decisions of the arbiter may be overturned only by passing a motion to amend the rule set.
In the event that this motion passes an arbiter will be selected by the following procedure: any player may nominate any other player (including himself or herself) for the position by posting "I nominate [nickname] for the position of arbiter." Any player aside from the nominator may second the nomination by posting "I second the nomination of [nickname] for the position of arbiter. Once a player has been nominated and seconded by two different players, he or she must accept the positon by posting "I accept the position or arbiter". The first player to do so becomes the arbiter.

§009:
After a new rule is passed, it must remain in effect for at least three days.

§010: Each player may gain or lose points in the following manner. Players start with zero points. If a person gets their motion passed, they get 2 points. If it fails, they lose 1 point. If you break a rule, you lose 1 point. Players may give their points, or any integer subset of their points, to another player. Negative points revert to zero. Players may not give more points than they currently have.

---

Titles
Grand High Poobah of the Nomic:

All Motions
Spoiler:
Motion accepted

Motion refused

Motion retracted

Votes: 3 for (JesseScottOwen, t1mm01994, Snark), 0 against
Motion accepted (added to rules as §009)

Motion accepted (added to rules as §006)

Motion accepted

Votes: 0 for, 4 against (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen, Snark, ahammel)
Motion refused

Motion accepted (added to rules as §007)

Votes: 3 for (orangedragonfire, JesseScottOwen, ahammel), 0 against
Motion passes (added to rules as §010)

Votes: 0 for, 3 against (orangedragonfire, ahammel, matt96)
Motion refused

Votes: 4 for (matt96, JesseScottOwen, Snark, ahammel), 0 against
Motion passed

Motion #13 Alex's motion to create the position of arbiter
Motion to ammend the rule set to include the following rule:
§008 One player will have the position of arbiter. Any other player may request clarification on any of the rules by posting "I request clarification on rule [rule number]...", followed by a brief description of the ambiguity. The arbiter will have the ability to amend the rule set to remove the ambiguity. The decisions of the arbiter may be overturned only by passing a motion to amend the rule set.
Votes: 3 for (matt96, Snark, orangedragonfire), 0 against
Motion passed (§008 is amended according to this motion)

Motion #14 Snark's motion to have a political campaign
Motion to elect Snark Grand High Poobah of the Nomic.

Motion # 15 Fiery's motion to reward the creator of the game
Motion to give 5 points to Alex. After all, he made the game, so he deserves it.

Active Motions
Spoiler:
Motion #14 Snark's motion to have a political campaign
Motion to elect Snark Grand High Poobah of the Nomic.

Motion # 15 Fiery's motion to reward the creator of the game
Motion to give 5 points to Alex. After all, he made the game, so he deserves it.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

Fiery, you have both 1 point and 5 points to Alex listed.

And under "All motions" some say they were incorporated as rule x, when they actually were put in as rule y.

Other than that, the overview is great.

I cast my vote in favor of Fiery's motion to reward the creator of the game.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Fixed those things you said.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Fiery's motion to reward the creator of the game.

I make a motion to add the following rule: You must refer to players by their nickname. Failure to do so is penalized the same way breaking any rule is. For the purpose of voting, this motion shall be referred to as Godwin's motion to justify the existence of nicknames.

JesseScottOwen

Postby JesseScottOwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

By the way, I'm allowed to double post. No rule prohibits this. Does this make me the Grand Poobah? All hail Grand Poobah Godwin!

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

I cast my vote in favor of Godwin's motion to justify the existence of nicknames.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

*walks up to raised platform, turns to address the masses*

Ahem.

My fellow Nomicans, I had a vision when I created the nicknames. A vision of freedom of expression. Freeing people from having to use long complicated names, yet having them retain the possibility to do so. For after all, there are situations when a nickname just doesn't seem serious enough. And for a time, the freedom I envisioned was found in this game. But now I see that that same freedom is threatened, by a cruel, oppressive motion. A motion aimed at enslaving people, making them pay for even a slight expression of creative freedom by using the name of someone.

*single tear rolls down cheek*

Yet there is still hope; the motion has not yet passed. So I call to you, people of Nomic: Join me! This is discrimination against our original names! I say we cannot let this stand! Let names and nicknames stand, side by side... as equals.

Thank you.

Return to “Forum Games”