Fantasy Countries

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

orangedragonfire

Re: Fantasy Countries

Postby orangedragonfire » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

Things for people to do! Yay!

Ahem. First off, welcome to everybody who is new (that means Queen Arasene (we now have both a Queen and a King) and Custard). I love your countries, and am exited to see where you'll take things.

That being said, there are a few issues that need to be worked out/taken care of or otherwise dealt with.

@KingTip:
- edit the description of your country; there is still mention of internet, miniaturization and various countries from our world. Those need to be removed. See this post for details.
- post a description of the elves in a separate post. This is for the links on the second page, so that all descriptions are easily accessible (as other people are allowed to have your race in their country, you can't have the race description on the post belonging to the country)

@turkbaris:
- edit the description of your country; add that you had colonies to your history. Also add the player form to the same post.

@Custard:
- post a description of the rats in a separate post. This is for the links on the second page, so that all descriptions are easily accessible (as other people are allowed to have your race in their country, you can't have the race description on the post belonging to the country)
- logistical issues with your country: diplomates would stop coming there after the first twenty had all disappeared. So you can't have continuous arrivals. Also, most player countries at least won't be sending you diplomates; at least not yet, and they won't have in the past. Tricily, Natechi, Decede, Turkerya and Havender won't be able to reach you because you're too far away; while Tarus and Cyrris have been isolated for quite a while. In conclusion, I recommend having a stable population of the races you want to have there. For that you'd have to have a lot more of them, which shouldn't really be a problem, as the islands are quite big.
- You need some way to both know what is going on in the entire world (to know when someone becomes too powerful) and to get there somehow. Yet your race has no magic. For this, I recommend using your God, who should have no problem seeing the entire world, or to send a few chosen rats to a place to spread a disease. At which point you need to make sure your God doesn't become owerpowered; the easiest way is to say that (s)he live in the upper or lower planes and can therefore only weakly interact with the normal plane unless there are lots of sacrifices to him/her.

@Queeny:
- Teleportation is very, very powerful. Be careful how you use this. Note that Tarus pretty much does have unlimited teleportation of devils (at least they seem to be able to pop up anywhere in the world), but it takes a lot of power (through sacrifice), they can't stay for long in this world (at least without more power spent), and they don't have very much power in this world (again, unless someone gives them the power)
The point is that you seem to be able to teleport a full army of powerful necromancers into my capital city without warning. This, obviously, worries me. Main point: If you have something very powerful, make sure you have aspects that tone it down, so that it doesn't become overpower.

@Vieto:
- Feel free to use the dwarves if the other players agree.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

I shall add restraining effects to my teleportation immediately. You want me to do it here or in my country description?
It's Magic. I ain't gonna explain shit.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 am UTC

Race: Nover
Appearance: Large about the Shoulder height of the average human Rats. Brown fur normally though the preists of pluage have red die striping there fur The preists are never seen by the public unless drawing the lottery. Ones born with grey fur (1 in 5 ish) are raised in the military and guard as they grow to almost a haed taller than the humans and deveolop powerful muscles.
Advantages: Highly intelligent for the brown rats though the grey are very stupid. all are quite fast and agile. ver Clever on the brown variety. allmembers of the race are highly resistent to magic not jsut magic directly but things born of magic (such as a counjered fire ball would ouly singe there fur not incinerate them)
Disadvantages: The grey rats are SOOOOOO stupid. the brown are very weak but fast.
Magic: All members of the rase are incredibly resistant to magic.
Lifecycle: 2 Genders male female. mateing is regulated via the the preists. organised they do not pair for life or even breifly. both genders are equal in all regard.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Thanks for the advice do you want me to edit the full description and re upload it or just make a smaller one with the changes?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 am UTC

As the ships retreated a figure sprung up in the water besides the Queen’s ship, swimming with webbed hands and feet and keeping pace alongside. It hailed the ship in a surprisingly clear voice. “Permission to come aboard?”

Queen Lindsay was surprised by the voice coming from beside the ship. Looking overboard, she saw a webbed creature alongside her ship. Her guard had their guns trained on the creature, only awaiting her word. "very well, but only for a brief while." Lindsay had little patience for lesser races. Once it was on board, she continued. "Creature of the sea, why do you wish to speak with me?"

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:56 am UTC

Race: Wood Elves
Appearance: Tall and pale
Advantages: Technology,
Disadvantages: Magic
Magic: Fire, Water, and some dabal in the art of Lighting, like the first King Tip.
Lifecycle: same genders, still has live birth, but elves are eternal. However, at the age of 60, they must be sacrificed to the Grand Council of Elves.
Anything else: Nothing
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

Queen Arasene wrote:I shall add restraining effects to my teleportation immediately. You want me to do it here or in my country description?

That is up to you.

Also, point of interest - Custard, did you really mean Collation, or rather Coalition?

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

Magic: Teleportation
The teleportation problem has been consistent for a long, long time. How do you move over large spaces instantly?
Eventually, a bright apprentice mage figured out a concept that showed promise. The idea behind this system was very simple; You want to move something (a spell, or, in the case of teleportation, yourself) past an obstacle (Case of Teleportation, large mass of space.). Therefore, the idea is to move whatever you want past said obstacle beyond the boundary of the world, reappearing where you want it to. Obviously, you need another plane to do this, even if you only appear there for a fraction of a second. The master mages loved the idea, and soon found a suitable plane to teleport through. A teleportation anchor was set up, to ensure a permanent connection between the prime plane and the one used for teleportation.

TL;DR: You move to another plane, and back to this one, appearing anywhere you want when returning.

The great weakness of this is that to teleport somewhere, you need to have a very accurate knowledge of the place. Within Decede, there are a number of spots that are well known, and therefore easy to teleport to. Outside of the country, the necromancers do not know much.
Skilled necromancers may focus at large occurrences of death, such as battlefields or graveyards to and teleport in their direction. This comes at the risk of appearing anywhere within their aimed area, say, either standing normally on the ground, stuck partially in a gravestone or seventeen feet under the earth.

TL;DR: You can teleport anywhere, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, you will appear anywhere. Even if it's inside a mountain.

In short, you have to have a secured area to teleport to, but it's a great way to escape if in trouble. I'm also thinking of limiting it in terms of power or/and time.
- - - - -
By the by, the link to Decede links to the wrong post.
- - - - -
Perecio looked upon the table before him, and the dark shapes sitting around it. He took a deep breath and began.
"You must wonder why I called you together on this day. Allow me to explain." His eyes burned into theirs as he slowly rose from his high chair. "We have stayed out of contact for too long. Malum Aeterna is silent, and the younger ones are acting up. It is time, Brothers and Sisters of Blight. We must set out once more, to see what the world has come to. Even if it should cost us our lives. We, the highest councilors of the great Dedede are the only ones who can represent us worthily to whomever we will meet.
Nex,
Umbra,
Cruor,
Fumus,
Glacies,
Lues.
Leave as soon as you can, whatever way you prefer. I will stay behind, gathering your reports and calming the population."

The others nodded understandingly, though, he noticed, not happy about the way he commanded them around. A small smile went lost in his eternally frozen grin. One after the other, they stood and left silently, calling their guardians and slaves to prepare for the journey into the unknown.

turkbaris13

Postby turkbaris13 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

Country
Name: Turkerya
Race(s): There are humans, Turla elves
Capital City: Anca
Flag: your flag:
Government: It is constitutional monarchy and it ruled by a king and councils of elders and other councils etc. Slavery is allowed but a different way, if you fight in a battle and your side won against enemy country you can take prisinors as slaves or sell them(like ancient greek times) althought you cannot do anything that will hurt your slave thanks to human rights law you can only use slave as working, helping tutoring, training etc. and after 1 month slave will be free and go to jail or capital punishment since they are enemy of your country, but if they agree to stay you will have to pay your slave. Humans are more considered "Holy or special than elves and spellcasters since the king is a human and he believes that humans are the race that has most difficult life than other races so they got rewarded and get more money from government, but all the things they used are equal.
Population: Medium population(don't know the limit but I know it cannot be more than 1 million since there are lots of wars in those time) an avarge family has 3 child (so population increases normaly)
Religion: Turle Religion, so basicly is there is 1 God nothing but one God and created everything has no gender or picture of it, if you worship it God likes you more but you don't have to, and has all the holy books etc. , but if I can use a real religion it would be Islam but since you said make it up I made up :p
Technology: Focusing to find Gun Powder Technology, also has good tecnology in health by mixing technology and magic to create medicines
Magic: Magic is a big part of Turkerya in military, technology, and religion, spellcasters use magic but they have to categories either spellcaster or necromancer. Spellcasters mostly work in hospitals as master doctors and in army as medics. Necromancers are mostly used in religion ceremonies for praying at dead people and if they are expert(some of them) they can summon dead people to life as non spirit formed controled by necromancer, but they don't use it to revive back a king or any civilians just used in battles. And in relgion in the Turle holy books it says that "People are the most holy race we can see but magicans are not holy as humans" but it says also that they are angles in Earth that needs to do right things for humans.
History: Before Turkerya created it was ruling by a king and its family than a good expert general named Barbaros and army decide to join him and ask people to join them and big fights started but at the end General Barbaros wins the civil war and decides to not be a dictator since people helped him so he decide to create a fair monarchy sytem. Also Turkerya focused on finding new lands to rule and find some islands in the middle of the world.
Location: West part of the map near east coast(I will show in the map it won't make sence if I say it ). Also some colonies in the middle of the map
Geography: Southern part is hot place it snows in winters but not alot but in summers a really hot place it has some mountains and forests but good thing is really nice beaches and some relics and few rivers and some lakes, Northern part is colder than South it snows alot in winters but it is not really cold(not like Siberia normal cold) it has forests, little relics, rivers, and some lakes, has mountains and forests it is it is not hot in summers but you will see sun in every season even its not really hot.
Anything else: People loves their country and united in a good way, for shorts its a patriotic country

Race: Turla Elves
Appearance: Looks same as humans even there ears is same as humans
Advantages: They are really smarter than humans and little faster than them.
Disadvantages: Not strong as humans.
Magic: If they they are magican(which is about 40% of them are) they can heal any wounds that people or Turla Elves has, and only the expert magicans can talk with animals, dragons etc. and even make them do what the magican says.
Lifecycle: It tooks 6 months for a female Turla Elve to have a baby and the rest are same as humans.
Last edited by turkbaris13 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

... I just meant editing your post, but I guess reposting works, too.

sco

Postby sco » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

Woah, lots has been happening. Firstly, welcome new victims, may you bathe in Ulinder's eternal hell-fire. But seriously, welcome aboard, always glad to have more people playing.

orangedragonfire wrote: Ah, yes, but I haven't added expansions yet. I only updated Turkerya's starting position (we discussed that a while back... page 2 or 3? Anyway, extended mainland + new colonies), and added New Willville.

I thought it best to wait with adding expansions to the map until we have finished introductions. If people want, though, we could start now.

I think we’re almost at the point where we can start adding expansions but it might be worth waiting a little bit longer.

orangedragonfire wrote: Sirilly Icewatcher once more looked at the sealed letter in her hands. She still couldn't decide whether or not to send it. On one hand, it was really useful information, so it would make her go up in the ranks of Ulinder's followers. Being useful was the easiest way to avoid getting cast aside if you were a servant. On the other hand... well, it was really useful information. Ulinder might actually be able to do harm with this. While she technically had prayed for it all her life, Sirilly wasn't sure how she'd actually feel about a Cyrris ruled by Ulinder. Without this information, that probably wouldn't happen; or at least not in a very long time.

She stared at the letter trying to figure out the answer. Eventually she sighed, and summoned a devil. She handed him the letter, ordering the devil to deliver it directly to Ulinder. It was a gamble, sure. But the gain was surely worth the risk.

(summoning a devil does require a sacrifice or a good deal of power, although summoning a weak one for but a few moments might be able to only be an animal or something) For a moment the devil vanishes then reappears, a new letter in its hands. It hands it to Sirilly then vanishes again. The letter reads:
Your information is well received, as is your ambition and cunning in the organisation of my followers in Cyris. I can see that the ambition of your kinsmen shall be our greatest source of influence in this realm. I feel that it would be prudent to pursue methods that are more uncommon until we become more entrenched and, as such, I am interested in this senate of yours. Use your connections, find their weak links, find their vices, their secrets. Relay me any other information on specific people that may prove useful and keep me apprised of the state of my other worshippers. You are fortunate, but do not dream that you are irreplaceable if such becomes necessary.

Vieto wrote: As the ship put into port, a band played the Natechi anthem proudly, ending as the ship ported, and the ramp separating the ship from land had been lowered. A crowd had been gathered, with a few choice individuals among them, as well as some of his guard. The Emperor, in his most formal attire, stood facing the ship, and two beings, dressed formally themselves (on Captain Phincho's advice, he gathered. He decided that Captain Phincho had other skills beyond captaining a ship, which he kept stored for later) and they stood in front of him. He extended his hand. "Welcome, friends. I am Emperor Montizech, and this is Natechi City, crowned jewel of the Natechi Empire. Our people call them selves the Terrinech and the Feheron. And I ask you the same questions. What may I call you? Where do you represent? And what do you call your people and kind?" As he finished, he kept a dignified smile upon himself. He was going to have Foreign Minister Anzeri Durech give them a tour of the city while he dealt with the crisis that had recently appropriated itself, and then talk with the emissaries over wine that evening.

They bow low. “We are called Azel and Belae, and we come to you from the land of Tarus. Our people have a name for ourselves but it would not be pronounceable in your tongue. We are called Imps by the other peoples of Tarus, as many races inhabit that land. We thank you for welcoming us to your great city and hope that our two nations shall one day soon know each other as friends.” (we can keep doing the ritual greeting but if you’d like to skip to that evening I think they’ve done all that they need to for the public bit.)

Vieto wrote:Queen Lindsay was surprised by the voice coming from beside the ship. Looking overboard, she saw a webbed creature alongside her ship. Her guard had their guns trained on the creature, only awaiting her word. "very well, but only for a brief while." Lindsay had little patience for lesser races. Once it was on board, she continued. "Creature of the sea, why do you wish to speak with me?"

The creature shifts as it exits the water, growing to the size of a human and it’s skin shifting to a more normal colour. It bows formally, “you seem to have great power in these ships, and a willingness to use that power. Such power interests me, and those I serve, and I come to offer aid on their behalf. Are you interested?”

A priest on Tarus sits, deep in meditation, seeking with his mind. Suddenly his eyes fly open and he runs from his place. “High Priest, High Priest!” The High Priest turns from his work, recognising the man whom he had set to seeking out any trace of Neylorn, “what is it?”
“I’ve found it, a place full of powerful necromantic magic, far to the south and west.” The priests eyes are rolling wildly.
The High Priest’s face tightens, “did you sense his influence? Did you feel the touch of Neylorn?”
“No, I did not sense him, but he may still be there, still hold sway.”
“I will send word to Lord Ulinder, but we must investigate this, determine whether or not there is a threat there.” He turns back to the sacrificial circles and calls for a number of slaves, killing them and summoning a devil, which he sends off in the direction of the energy. After a time the devil approaches the island, visible and holding a physical form. It comes down to land and enter the city on foot. (figured you might want to intercept him Queeny, but it’s up to you. If you don’t he’ll simply walk up to the palace/grand temple/necropolis and ask to speak with their leader.)

(custard, you said that your ‘god’ was a demon prince so I’m assuming he lives on the lower planes. If not then ignore this) A devil approaches Epidermus, Lord of Plague, and bows. “Lord Epidermus, I come representing Lord Ulinder, High Lord of the Lower Plane. He bade me seek out those others who were awake and request that they meet with him. He asks that you come to his citadel within the Heart of Darkness, at your earliest convenience.”

Turkbaris, just a reminder that the orc pirates have, through a little manipulation, decided to amass a force to attack your colonies from the south, this should be dealt with soonish.

By the time Martheus returns to his study the devil has managed to possess the magic crystal, entering into it. As Martheus enters it is clear that something is wrong. “My lord,” the voice issues from the crystal, “whatever is the matter, has something gone unfavourably for you?”

For the record I’m happy for Vieto to change to dwarves but I did like the concept of the Terrinech so I’d like them to be in the world somewhere, so maybe leave them on the races list for now.

Alright, that’s it for now, if I’ve missed anything that I need to respond to let me know but I think I got it all.

turkbaris13

Postby turkbaris13 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

The pirates can block the ports but cannot invade the South colony since they made up with only navy but since Turkeryan navy is all around the colonies they will have hard time to do anything harmfull.
"Turkeryan troops had succefully found the hidden base that the rebel leader lives in, the troops found out that most of the rebel camps are located in unreactive volcanoes or mountains. The rebel leader S.F. Lomenos had captured by the troops and going to the Capital city Anca. S.F. Lomenos will be hanged after the police will have information about him and the OSS information."
Said the Ministry of Security of Turkerya Mr. Bargosa
"Mean while in the Northern border of Turkerya a man who said that he was a prophet is start telling the people about the religion that he is telling "Unitism" that there is one God who created everything and he is telling more and more words as the man goes to the Southern Turkerya. So far he already got 2 thousand people's attention and more and more people are joining at him. There is even rumors about him that he can do magics that no one ever seen and some people said that he can split the soil or split the seas. As this tention grows on more people will go against our religion which is Turle. The king Ali Barbosa is scaring that the country will be in a big revolution soon. Because of this tention we decide to send more priests to Northern Turkerya so that people will know the true religion"
Said the Ministry of Religion Ahmet Kuş

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

Map

Added Decede and The Collation.
Last edited by orangedragonfire on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

turkbaris13

Postby turkbaris13 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

turkbaris13

Postby turkbaris13 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:Map

You should look at the maps that done before you edit the map you agaian forgot to put the territory of my in Northern lands

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

Alright, a large chunk of my post was just deleted, again. Ah, unhappy me. In order so that I have something to post right now, I'm giving you the first part. The second part hopefully comes later today.

Please keep in mind that the conversation between King Marcus and the Cultists is happening the day before the Cyrrian Ambassador's arrival in Scargo. I just decided to no longer put it off.

King Marcus paused and thought for a moment. He remained largely expressionless--spending your childhood as a prince attending formal events is good training for that--but the talisman around his neck continued to glow; not so much of an angry glow, so much, but more of a very interested or even excited one. He thought about the options. Was he really considering, even unofficially, making the Secret Guard's primary group of interest an informant of the state? Dear Sasan! Either Ulmati would think him a genius or think him a fool! But the possibilities and the potentials, they were tempting. Of course, all of their information probably couldn't be taken for granted as definately true, and it was perhaps true that they would funnel the information the other way (although, if they had no access to anything secret, what did it matter?). And he also had to consider who they he was dealing with. They were suspected, secretly, of murder; he would get around to making sure that got taken care of in due time when evidence was found. It was also possible they were already guilty of crimes against the state, though in the world of intelligence, he understood, that was not necessarily something you sought immeditate retribution for, but rather kept in your back pocket to use later. He was sure they were trying to entice him, especially with such obvious references to the Cyrrians. He'd play along for now. But he should probably make sure to confer with Ulmati.

Marcus drew a notepad and pencil out of his robes. He hoped the magic would work properly; this only worked naturally for Djinn who were close, although magicians had found ways to extend it with artificial magic such as he was using now to apply it to others. In any case Ulmati was in for a suprise. Perhaps the Ulindians as well. He jotted down a message on the paper, tore it out of the pad, folded it neatly, and swallowed it whole. The reaction was what he expected.

"Don't mind me gentlemen," Marcus replied. "Now, back to business. What you tell me is very interesting. We are indeed beginning to branch out into the world outside of our borders more. Any information or advice you could give us in regards to our travels or to foreign peoples and kingdoms would indeed be quite helpful. It is very obvious that you are a truly widespread and knowledgeable people. Would you mind giving me a small demonstration of your knowledge? An example of what would be to come if we were to look to you regularly in the future for any information of the lands beyond the trees and seas?"

Captain Cordelia Fargrim sat on the porch of the November Inn, located in a small borrough just slightly southeast of Scargo, shining her helmet just as the sun rose in the east, signalling the beginning of the day when they would shortly head into Scargo with the Cyrrian Ambassador. Not that it needed shining. It already shone brilliantly; when they had arrived at the Inn yesterday they were greeted by a large contingent to prepare them for today's events; among this contingent was a tream from the Tricilian Border Guard which had brought new ceremonial uniforms for all of them. The Cyrrians had their own clothing; they weren't quite exactly the same as humans and dressed in a different fashion. The Dragoneering Corps had even sent a new uniform for Winterbalm, as well for his trusted dragon Nestor. In fact, they had sent a quite large contingent of the Corps dragon veterinarians, which also doubled as dragon groomers, to deal with Nestor. It was quite a site to see them try to submit the dragon to a cleaning, but after he was properly fed and coaxed she could see that his blue and greenish scales really did shine, as well as the ceremonial armor they had brought. His owner didn't look that bad either after a bath and change of uniform.

For herself, she had a letter. It had arrived later that day; direct from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Apparently her sister had recieved a suprise honor earlier that day. Countess. Their mother would love that. She felt a small unconcious pang of jealousy. Lady Fargrim had always been loving and caring with both of her daughters, but Cordelia had always felt that she liked her older daughter better. Not so much because of any failing on her own part, but more because their mother, a very proper and aristocratic, although warm, woman, preferred the nature of Minerva's accomplishments to her own. She herself was a Border Guard captain, out in the wilderness, far from the cities-- on the fringe of society in her mothers eyes. Minerva however... one of the top students in her University class, personal friend of the King, rising through the ranks quickly to become the youngest Minister of Foreign Affairs the nation had ever seen; the quiet reserved studious nature of her older daughter was just more compatible wih her than that of the wilder more adventurous spirit of the younger. Cordelia guessed they would be spending time together, mother and daughters, while she was back in Scargo; at least, they would whenever her sister was not busy, as she indicated she would probably be very much with the new arrival. And she could only imagine Lady Fargrim going on and on with praise for her sister's new nobility--now putting her in a rank even above their mother.

She smiled to herself though as she put away her helmet. Minerva was going to dread this. Although she wasn't afraid to take charge, as she would have to being one of the most prominent in today's ceremony, she really did not like being the apex of attention--or praise. Calling her "Contessa" would be a new way to tease her sister. it's probably why King Marcus didn't make the ceremony public. And their mother's praise, dear Sasan, it was going to be worse on her sister than it would be on her. And if Lady Fargrim got away with throwing a celebration... she felt a bit bad for her sister. Although they were very different and often far apart, they did have their bonding. They were sisters after all. It would be good to see her again. And as Cordelia stood up, she smiled again. Their mother would have to be proud of her too today. After all, she was, as ranking officer, going to be the one personally walking by and presenting the Ambassador to her sister and the King.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

In the evening, they met again. "What are your plans, then? Obviously, he was impatient.

"You are impatient, we understand. But you know as well as we do that such a journey cannot be undertaken so easily."
"I just hate wasting my time, even when there is so much of it. Enough silly talk; what are your plans?"
The large world map unrolled on the grand table. Perecio read it carefully, noting the points and dates written in spidery writing all across it.
"Let us see what we know.
The most recent discovery is that a God of Death along with a following of necromancers reside duly north. Umbra, I am assuming you were preparing for this particular place."
Perecino's bony fingers moved eastward and| southward until he found a shimmering rune.
"An interesting case of partly naturalistic necromancy, not too long ago. It interests me what could have happened. Cruor, I ask you to investigate." The red-clad lich nodded as he was addressed. Perecino returned his attention to the map, watching aptly.
"This place appears to have necromancers on its own, too. Besides that, it appears to be the place where the world's original teleport anchor was located. Certainly worthy of investigation. Fumus, you will go here, as the anchor was linked to one of the infernal planes. No discussion."
He waves his hand over the rest of the map.
"The rest of the world, we do not know much about. Nex, Lues. I ask you to search for the best signs you find of newer countries."
As they nod, the last Lich raises his hand.
"Glacies, I did not forget you. But upon watching the atmosphere within in capital, I find it to be more secure if more than one of us remains to extend a watchful eye."
"Your decisions are followed because they are wise. Remember you do not have control of us."
"I remember it every time I enter this chamber, dear. Now let us explore the world, to see what it has gotten to.
They gather before the great window at the end of the hall as it slowly opens, revealing a great view of the never-sleeping town they rule over.

And so, it begins . . . .

- - - -
For whoever doesn't bother to read all that, this is a list of who will be going where;
Nex - Graveyard (Probably in Cyrris)
Umbra - Havender
Cruor - Tricily
Fumus - Tarus
Lues - Graveyard (New Willwille, if there is one there.)
Glacies - Nowhere
- - - - -

Umbra set off the same day, traveling by foot.
Cruor departed two days after the meeting, traveling on a turtle.
Fumus went by the fastest water animal he could find, departing only hours after Cruor.
Lues locked himself up in his lodging for almost a month before he set out, by one of the fifteen boats the country had.
Nex located her target a mere week after the meeting and took a grand farewell before leaving on a skeletal horror designed for this purpose.

- - - - -
Sco, are you all right if the Teleport Anchor in my teleportation lore used to be in Tarus? That would make an ideal explanation for how you got a rift to the lower planes in the first place.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Race: Skeletal Horror
Appearance: There is no limit to how these can look. Generally they will be a mix of zombie and skeleton, and almost without exception they are a sight to behold and fear.
Advantages: Extremely scary (most). Unquestioning loyalty, technical immortality. Various tactical combat advantages, such as spikes or venom (varies)
Disadvantages: Weak to crushing blows, chance of crumbling in sunlight. Weak to holiness, lack of any thinking process. Need to be close to whoever created them, or they will go dormant.
Magic: No Magic, with exceptions. Only three recorded horrors have been able to use elemental magic.
Lifecycle: A skeletal horror is one of necromancy's finest achievements; the creation of a completely new creature from existing corpses. They cannot leave the necromancer who created them, as they draw their power from him. This proximity is an advantage, as the necromancer may easily create a new beast from the remains if the horror should be defeated.
Anything else: These things are really, really scary. If you see one on a dark night, you'll probably have nightmares for decades. They can have a multitude of abilities, depending on what they were created for and from. Some recorded treats have been;
-Ability to breathe fire
-Flight
-Spikes everywhere
-Size: 300 feet long
-Slight magic power
-Incredible stink of decay

Skeletal horrors are one-of-a-kind monsters, I will describe every one that comes up in detail.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 pm UTC

A turtle? That is interesting? Just a normal turtle? Is it a fast turtle? A swimming turtle?

In any case, let me know when you arrive at my borders, and whether that be by land or by sea (if by land you will be stopped at whatever part of the land border you come upon first, if by sea you will be halted at the Strait of Quaz).

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

Obviously, no mortal turtle would ever agree to carry an undead creature of such might. It's reanimated. And of course, it swims. Most turtles living in the sea do :P It does have the advantage that it doesn't need sleep or rest, olus it knows exactly were it wants to go. So it would be faster than most ordinary turtles.
It should arrive within, say, two or three months since it set out. Buut since I do not intend to bother writing seven posts with "He continued traveling on his turtle", I guess we can skip ahead where he arrives at your interception. Ahem. I have no idea where the Strait of Quaz is, but I'll be assuming it's that thin, thin inlet between your two countrysides. (Makes sense, since a stretch of sea should make the one man pretty invisible)

- - - -
Cruor watched the horizon warily from his position, upright on the not-quite-alive turtle that had been his sole companion for months. Over there must be the land I am to explore. A friendly approach should be the best. Raising his hands, flesh returned to his body, making him look mostly like an ordinary human, excepting the weird and mystical robes. This precaution taken, he settled down on the turtle once more and told it to approach the thin channel in the distance. If there was anyone there, he would be discovered.
- - - -
In other news, the Lich race has gotten updates.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Sco Said: A devil approaches Epidermus, Lord of Plague, and bows. “Lord Epidermus, I come representing Lord Ulinder, High Lord of the Lower Plane. He bade me seek out those others who were awake and request that they meet with him. He asks that you come to his citadel within the Heart of Darkness, at your earliest convenience.”

Epirermus raises he great bulk from his throne and bends down the the same height as the devil. "The essence of my world is balance and truth in all things, if a LORD of the lower planes wishes speak with me it would be my honor to take council with him, but he must do so on truly equal ground. If Lord Ulinder wishes speak with me he best remember that while i did not betray him like the scum who though the lower scales our of balance he should remember that i am not his dog. Though i do wish to see the scales of our beloved pit restored to balance, But until then he is but a Lord and must maintain what balance we have left.'

Odf yes i did mean Collation not coalition thanks for the help!

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:52 am UTC

Queen Arasene wrote: Obviously, no mortal turtle would ever agree to carry an undead creature of such might. It's reanimated. And of course, it swims. Most turtles living in the sea do :P It does have the advantage that it doesn't need sleep or rest, olus it knows exactly were it wants to go. So it would be faster than most ordinary turtles.
It should arrive within, say, two or three months since it set out. Buut since I do not intend to bother writing seven posts with "He continued traveling on his turtle", I guess we can skip ahead where he arrives at your interception. Ahem. I have no idea where the Strait of Quaz is, but I'll be assuming it's that thin, thin inlet between your two countrysides. (Makes sense, since a stretch of sea should make the one man pretty invisible)

- - - -
Cruor watched the horizon warily from his position, upright on the not-quite-alive turtle that had been his sole companion for months. Over there must be the land I am to explore. A friendly approach should be the best. Raising his hands, flesh returned to his body, making him look mostly like an ordinary human, excepting the weird and mystical robes. This precaution taken, he settled down on the turtle once more and told it to approach the thin channel in the distance. If there was anyone there, he would be discovered.
- - - -

Who exactly is Cruor? Is he one of your Necromancers? A "Lich"? Or... I'm just not quite sure, is all.

Edit: Okay, yes, Lich. I just noticed in your post. Carry on.

Anyways, yes, the Strait of Quaz is what I call that little strait between my nation and its northern colonies (ODF hasn't labelled such geographic features on the main map), but since there is a rather sizeable naval contingent and building project there which monitors the strait, that is most likely where he'd be met. I doubt you've bothered to read my post about the man in charge of the Strait, but I'm going to love writing his reaction to having a man arrive on turtleback. Anyways... yes. I'll probably try to get to his meeting tomorrow. I really must get ODF's ambassador into my capital first. It's been too long.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 am UTC

Night Elf burying traditions are not quite usual. There are large graveyards under Htaed - is was a flying city, so there was not really a place to bury them up there. So instead, they were carefully lowered - just dumping them tended to make a mess, which was horrible to clean up - and then left to various coroners, who had to follow the ancient and sacred rites. These rites are set by the Night Elves, and carried out by gnome coroners. A troll works there too, digging and filling holes.

The gnome - he was pretty sure his name was something along the lines of Jim - he was also pretty sure he was a he - looked at the strange creature that had appeared in the grave after he had dumped the corpse there. Jim tried to figure out what he'd done wrong. As far as he could remember, he'd done everything according to protocol. First, he'd stabbed the sorry bastard of a Night Elf in the heart and slashed her throat, to make sure she was really dead. Then he had dragged her corpse to the hole, and kicked her in with the traditional words of "Good Riddance!". That was it, end of protocol, and then then unshapely bony thing had risen from the grave, which was certainly not protocol, and thus had to be a result of the frequent and various use of mushrooms that Jim had smoked the last half hour.

"Ha!", Jim told Nex and the bonehorror that the necromancer was riding on, "You're not... not... the thing you do when you're there... uhm... real! That's it, you're not! You're just a... plumment? peachment? applement? otherfruitment? ... whatever, a part of my iminimganinationtion! And of that purple mushroom. Which I smoked, but it's totally cool. Cause I know you're not here, so I'll just ignore you! What do you think about that, hey?"

--

Tystan looked at the city before them, and felt his mood lighten significantly. This was a city that could be worked with; it seemed big enough. There pretty much had to be some kind of underground society here, selling and buying illegal things... here he could get his dragon eggs. At least if he couldn't convince the king to give him some legally... patience, he reminded himself. Patience to deal with things carefully. Start by establishing good relations before moving into sensitive issues.

His inner doubt and ambition was carefully hidden, barely a frown played over the sincere-looking smile on his face at his thoughts. But the smile became real when he considered that establishing good relations should be extremely easy; oh yes. He'd just have to get through this meeting and arrange for a certain someone to visit Tricily. There was no way the people of this city wouldn't melt at her charm. And, even better, there was no way they could find even the smallest lie in her charming, funny and friendly nature, because it wasn't a mask like his - for her it was all real. Oh, yes, Tricily wouldn't have a choice but to fall heads over heals in love with Princess Ayrlaine.

--

Martheus temporarily blocked a few of the spells on the crystal, rendering it inert and thus expelling devil. The Highmaster was Magic stared at his favorite research subject ever, before he sighed, and cancelled the spell that kept the devil from leaving the prime plane.

"As you may have noticed.", he said dryly, "You are now able to leave whenever you so desire. I do not have an imprint of your soul, so I wouldn't be able to summon you specifically. Do you understand?"

Sure, Ulinder had technically allowed him to keep the devil, but he had still taken it unjustified. Well, maybe. According to Sirilly. But, the woman did seem to know a lot about their God, so... she was probably right. And that meant that Martheus had to release the devil. He prided himself in following the rules, and when you became aware of being in possession of something that you got unlawfully, you were supposed to give it back.

He turned away from the devil, not waiting for an answer, not wanting to see it when it disappeared back to where it had come from.

--

sco wrote:(summoning a devil does require a sacrifice or a good deal of power, although summoning a weak one for but a few moments might be able to only be an animal or something)

Depending on how rigorous the requirements for a sacrifice are, they could have been arranged. If it just has to be people killed in Ulinder's name, that's easy. There should be at least ten trained assassins in the Ulinder cult. They'll just do their normal jobs, but dedicate the kills to Ulinder.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 am UTC

Sherri was walking along the great graveyard. she was looking for her mother and father. suddenly, she saw a strange figure in a odd robe. very small, she thought, at least for a Wood Elf. Sherri was 8' 5". this figure was maybe 7' 4", and very white in color. almost bone-ish. It walked along, looking at each gravestone. It stopped and laughed at one, but then continued. as she approached, it must have heard her because It looked at her. This part was strange for Sherri, it turned from white to tan, like the humans she has heard of, and then grew to about 8' 6". Impossible, she thought, only Tip's family can practice magic. She herself had only practiced the art of camouflaging. In fact she was already camouflaged when she entered the Great Graveyard.
It must have heard her. She threw off her camouflage and walked towards it. " Do you know of a civilization around here?" it said. Sherri was surprised that it would just come right out with talking to her. She pursed her lips and said, "Do you know that your not use magic in this 'civilization'?"

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

King Tip hated the letter in his hand.
" Dear Beloved King Tip,
It pains me to tell you this in a letter, but you can be legally overthrown. it says in our constitution that we must be on good terms with foriegn countries, unless they declare war on us. Since you falsely thought hat Cyrris murdered your ex-wife, Johnny Foreman has been working on a plan to overthrow you. He succeeded. he pulled enough strings and looked over the constitution to figure out that you would need to send explorers to every corner of the earth and find every nation out there andbe on good terms with them. if you fail to do this, the Foreman line will become Royal and be able to practice witchcraft. the Tip line will be neither. I hope you succeed on your journey.

Sincerely,
Minister Brent
"

"Gorb! Henry!" He called for his two best explorers. " Gorb go to the far south west. I will go near North west, we have explored to the north before. Hernry go to the far north west."

Gorb to Decede, and Cyrris. King Tip to the Collation, and turkian colonies. Henry to Turkia, Natachi and that gray nation up there.

sorry if country spelled wrong!
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 am UTC

King Tip also to Tarus and Gorb to Tricilly

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

MilitaryGradeCustard

Postby MilitaryGradeCustard » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 am UTC

I have noticed most other players have some quite identifiable charaters so am writing up some posts for interactive purposes.

Epidermus: Lord of plauge and master of the ballance
Apperance: Large Bloated and pustulant beast with great stag horns from which hang hundreds of brass scales each witht he name of a god, deamon princ, country or any other forc3e in the worls. and rther then see the ballance he feels the shifts on his horns. Instead of eyes he has billions of flys bussing in and out of his eye sockets. When not on the lower plane you may speak to him via taking a set of brass scales, Putting one vial of your own blood on one side and requesting an audience (verbaly) at which point flys will land on the other side of the scale until it is balanced. your blood will vanish and you will have 10 minutes to speak for every vial you put in (lord epidermus keeps the blood for purposes unknown. and will if occasion is given provide it to the nover) Please not that nobody in the world at large is aware of epidermuses conevtion to the coalition or even the nover themselves.
Personality: a bit sassy, strong arguments for truth and fairness. will always give in return equal to what is given.

Mayor Jade:
Race: Wood elf.
Apperacne: by all standards an averge hgihgh average looking wood elf. a bit piot bellied
Personality: VERY freinds, As he is infected with the universal contaigen he has no concept of violince or conflict. And generaly is a realy nice guy and exelent host.

The High Preist Of Pestilence:
Aperacne, a Nover with compleatly red fur bling and having stag horns grow back out of his head. he wears grey robes and leans on a staff capped with a pair of scales.
Personality: He is the channal of epidermus on this world. he is epidermus in voice and mind.
(note does not venture into the world regularly)

The Black Rat: the only Nover who is not part fo the grey army or Priesthood. He is the messenger fo the under empire, not apearing under the name of the coalition. he is sent via the reverse summon technique to spread plague or deliver messages (but never in person as epidermis and the nover must never be connected in public eyes.) This is farily easy as the rat is half lauge deamon. his preferred method of delivering messages is the find a victim (animal or other race) and infect them with a deadly toxin that while it will kill them will do so slowly and initially start with blind moater functions. allowing him to point it in the right direction. and get the timing right so it will walk/fly so on right up to the person who shall reserve the message bearing it in there hands (commonly scales if epidermus wishers to speak to them directly, could just be a parchment) and then drop dead. He also uses this method for warring. His apperance is unkown.
Last edited by MilitaryGradeCustard on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am UTC

((Sco, good point. I think I'll use both Dwarves and Terrinech then. Two xenophobic races, mixed together, tolerating the other because of mutual benefits, trying to integrate a third. If thats not a powderkeg, what is?))

Foreign Minister Anzeri Durech liked reading. He read his fair share of adventures, war novels, and plays, but what really interested him was histories. He had been reading up on bits and pieces of Natechi history, and he only really began confident to write a comprehensive version himself. So he had woken up early this morning to begin typing. He had also received a message that he was going to have to tour some emissaries around, so he typed what he could before he left.

---
A Brief History of the Natechi Empire

The Terrinech and the Dwarves were not always united, in fact, their union is fairly recent. The mountains originally belonged to small warring bands of Terrinech, who made homes of stone on the faces of mountains, and fought each other with obsidian weapons. They each had a small priest class and a larger warrior class, passed on by birth to the extent that the 2 classes had genetic differences. They would contest over land and sacrificed their enemies to their gods for favour. The Dwarves, conversely, appear to have come from a specific and lost mountain hall, which we think was deep in the mountains west of the province of Chuito. Not much is known of the halls, except legends of a vast underground city, with gardens, waterfalls, gold, and various exotic metals stonger than bronze, lost in translation. Some legends say they had a type of iron armour, stronger than bronze, though we know that iron is inferior to bronze and is brittle and rare. Others speak of a blue metal known as mithral, which was said to be lighter than pumice and stronger than rune-blessed bronze. We suspect this may have actually have been an alloy of native aluminum, and the claims were likely overstated. They had many gods of their own, long forgotten, but we now suspect the modern pantheon was something of a mixture of the 2 groups of races, so it is not simple to seperate Terrinech and Dwarf mythology. For reasons unknown, there was a mass emigration from the mountainhall, we suspect there was a disaster of sorts. The legends speak of digging too deep and lessons of Dwarven greed, but we think it was perhaps a disaster of volcanic origins, which are not unheard of in Natechia.
The fleeing Dwarves soon found themselves in the valleys and plateaus of the mountains, which were populated with the Terrinech clans.

The tensions between the Terrinech and Dwarves were high initially. The dwarven settlers built stone cities where they could, and took over a few Terrinech cites, and visa versa. In a few places, they learned to co-exist, in others, they fought until one side was dead. In the end, there were six principalities, each with great stone cities, and scattered regions of Terrinech tribes. The principalities of Laeszin, Haynco, and Fjanetch all made Dwarf kingdoms, the Principalities of Sulphia, Natechia and Chquito each made peace with the Terrinech, and they managed to coexist, in seperate cities. Each of the Principalities were bitter rivals with each other, but slowly they began to forget their old gods, even the Terrinechs. This went on for generations until one of the Terrinech chiefs in the Natechi principality, the grandfather of the current Emperor Montizech, realized that with Dwarven technology, his people might live longer, and that the 2 races were not all that different. Through some careful manipulations and some infighting in the dwarven city, he managed to become the ruler of the principality. His first act of uniting the distrustful races was to unite them to build a great city, Natechi City, in a defensible and unique peninsula with three mountains on it, enlisting workers from both races and planned with features from both types of architecture. He also had some foresight, knowing that neither race would truly accept the other with absolute leadership over the other, and set up a representation based council with various minister positions, while giving himself many ways to be secretly in control. To the people, he would be a figurehead with ceremonial power, but in reality, he decided all important happenings, known to the foreign minister, the minister of military, the minister of guilds, the chairman, and few others, including the new minister of arcane sciences.

The principality became an empire after the invasion of Chquito, which was annexed and given representation and self governing rights. This was followed by conquering Sulphia, but before any further expansion, Emperor Natech was assassinated by a Dwarf in a failed attempt to eliminate a potential monarchy. This failed when his son, Emperor Quetzech, took the throne. His reign focused on consolidation and incorporating Terrinech tribes, but that was halted by the Fjanetch, who had discovered steam power. The war was bloody, but after years of huge losses, the clever Emperor led his armies to victory when they exploited flaws and weaknesses in Fjanetch battle plans, and so the Natechi Empire had four provinces.

With new steam weapons, Quetzech sought to conquer Leaszin, to the north. The Dwarven fortresses failed to yield, however, and the war was stopped when his son, Emperor Montizech, secretly murdered his father fifty years ago.

Fourty years ago, rail was discovered, and a race began to rail the land. Steam engines also became better, and soon the first Natechi navy, composed of inefficient steam engines on shoddy ships, made the sea. It was soon discovered that another power, the Feheron, were in the deserts to the west, with several colonies. The first Natechi traders, confused as pirates, were burnt by magic at sea, and so a 25 year war began. During that time, rune magic and electricity were discovered. As the war raged, colonies were set up to mine a newly usable material; aluminum, and when the Feherons were defeated, they too begun the integration process.
---
The minister finished his summary, knowing he would never be allowed to publish it. The terrinech then went on his way to meet the Emperor, and this new race.

((My next post will get to back to Tarus stuff))

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:30 am UTC

sco wrote:p

Vieto wrote: As the ship put into port, a band played the Natechi anthem proudly, ending as the ship ported, and the ramp separating the ship from land had been lowered. A crowd had been gathered, with a few choice individuals among them, as well as some of his guard. The Emperor, in his most formal attire, stood facing the ship, and two beings, dressed formally themselves (on Captain Phincho's advice, he gathered. He decided that Captain Phincho had other skills beyond captaining a ship, which he kept stored for later) and they stood in front of him. He extended his hand. "Welcome, friends. I am Emperor Montizech, and this is Natechi City, crowned jewel of the Natechi Empire. Our people call them selves the Terrinech and the Feheron. And I ask you the same questions. What may I call you? Where do you represent? And what do you call your people and kind?" As he finished, he kept a dignified smile upon himself. He was going to have Foreign Minister Anzeri Durech give them a tour of the city while he dealt with the crisis that had recently appropriated itself, and then talk with the emissaries over wine that evening.

They bow low. “We are called Azel and Belae, and we come to you from the land of Tarus. Our people have a name for ourselves but it would not be pronounceable in your tongue. We are called Imps by the other peoples of Tarus, as many races inhabit that land. We thank you for welcoming us to your great city and hope that our two nations shall one day soon know each other as friends.” (we can keep doing the ritual greeting but if you’d like to skip to that evening I think they’ve done all that they need to for the public bit.)

((ok, I'll skip the tour))
Later that evening, Emperor Montizech and his dwarven minister of war, his terrinech minister of foreign affairs, and his feheron minister of the arcane sat across from his guests in a comfortable room, his look serious.

"Welcome Azel and Balae, and thank you for sitting through the boring works of making three highly disagreeable races feel relatively at ease with your presence. Now, I would like to get serious. From what little we know of you, you have something of a different magical presence here, and that presence does seem to be dropping at a surprising rate, and our best estimates are that you have two days until that runs out, with unknown consequences, so we will not keep you too long, unless you wish to stay and that has harmless effects. I hope you are not offended if I were to suggest that it does not take much guesswork, even amongst the least religious amongst us, though my arcane minister gives me her strongest warnings, that you are a demon of some sorts. What that means, I suspect I will find out shortly."

"Your first question was why we were watching you, or rather, the aurora. That answer is simple. In recent times, a wisp of unknown magic started to appear over our waters, and it creates an aurora, visible just off of the coast from our capital, but clearer near our easternmost mining colonies. We were simply doing the logical thing with an unknown potential threat; studying it. You say you come from under it, so it may put me at ease if you were to explain what it is, exactly."

"Now, aside from that, what would you like to talk about? I may suggest we set up embassies and some initial trade routes, as my people seek exotic wares, luxuries, medicines, resources, and novelties, while we have many things that we might be willing to trade. Or is there something else?"

sco wrote:
Vieto wrote:Queen Lindsay was surprised by the voice coming from beside the ship. Looking overboard, she saw a webbed creature alongside her ship. Her guard had their guns trained on the creature, only awaiting her word. "very well, but only for a brief while." Lindsay had little patience for lesser races. Once it was on board, she continued. "Creature of the sea, why do you wish to speak with me?"

The creature shifts as it exits the water, growing to the size of a human and it’s skin shifting to a more normal colour. It bows formally, “you seem to have great power in these ships, and a willingness to use that power. Such power interests me, and those I serve, and I come to offer aid on their behalf. Are you interested?”

"Power is something I do seek, as I would love nothing less than to eradicate the manipulative Terrinech demons or the dirty sand elves and their tricks, as well as ruling over the great dwarven houses. However, you have the look of a demon, and we have old stories of demons and their ilk. I may make a compromise here, but I am ill reasoned to see why I should trust you, or what power you do have, and I fear to hear the price of that power."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:24 am UTC

ODF, your burial rites are amazing.

By the way, for everyone else, this is pretty much just me being a crazy writer and trying to get a feel of my city descriptively. I don't think I can, for the life of me, post one of these every single time I get an ambassador. Cyrris was the first one to reach me (outside of my immediate neighbors) and was known about several days in advanced, which is why they wanted to and were able to put on such a celebration. In the future I will either elude to such a celebration (maybe smaller) without writing out the entire post, or your ambassador will be recieved more quietly with a welcoming ceremony in the square. Besides, I suspect the rest of you will be arriving by boat.

Scargo was not a city contained within walls; at one point it had been significantly walled, but with the almost virtual assurance that barbarians could no longer reach the capital, it had spilled over these defenses, until now only parts of walls remained throughout the city; historic ruins or decorative markers. It wasn't a metropolis with a clear cut border; city and then wilderness, but instead as you got farther and farther away from the center it became less and less dense until finally it just stopped being city. However, the city did have one way to distinguish itself as a definite area. The 11 Gates of Scargo were the ceremonial entrances to the city "proper". Originally only three had existed, but over time as the city advanced and expanded, more were built. Some stood out for their fantastical decorations and artwork; others simply from the pure power they conveyed for being there from the beginning; their old stones and masonry standing over all travellers like immortal sentinels for centuries. They were named as follows: Wiern, Scalla, Scargo, Sasan, Gordon, Cara, Sea (which was a true sea gate built in the harbor), Senatorial, Judicial, People's and Marcus (the last gate was always renamed in honor of the new King; in general it was just called "King's Gate").

The caravan of Cyrrians, as well as the Border Patrolees, Captain Fargrim, Lieutenant Seold, Officer Soor, Officer Panholm and Cadet Rilli and, of course, their dragoneer, Captain Arturio Winterbalm (with his dragon Nestor), as well as a few others who'd been sent to meet them the day before, stood before Wiern Gate, which stood high and towering, with two walls flanking either side. The walls had been covered with brilliant mosaics, the glazed tiles depicting either the vibrant and intrictate patterns traditional to the Wiern region or scenes from their myth and history. Brilliant flags flew from the ramparts and banners hung proudly; the physical gate itself had been cleaned and now stood imposingly shut. Normally, the gate was almost constantly left open, but had been kept shut the night before for a ceremonial opening to mark their entrance. Soldiers lined the ramparts standing a ceremonial guard; their expressions were unable to be seen from so far below but Captain Fargrim guessed they were watching the caravan with interest.

The parade had, unofficially, already started. Word was released in the normal newsletters and the everyday social grapevine that an Ambassador was coming, and an official announcement in the area told people a parade would be held to welcome him; as much to give the people some excitement as to show off the city a little bit. Although the official festivities would begin beyond the gate, people had gathered in places along their route from the Inn to see the entourage for themselves. Arturio lead the way, riding Nestor on foot who, once and a while, released a short stream of fire to entertain some children watching along the roadside. Following them was the Cyrrian Entourage, with the border patrol agents flanking on either side. Captain Fargrim stood next to Tystan himself (I don't know what he plans on doing; walking or riding, paying attention to the crowd or just focusing on getting to the end or what have you). And following up behind them were a few others who had been sent to them; once inside some others will follow along.

When they reached the gate, they stopped. Captain Fargrim stepped away from the Ambassador temporarily and walked up next to Winterbalm and Nestor. She had been instructed in the ceremonial preceedings for requesting the gate be opened.

"Who goes there?" the Captain of the Guard shouted from the ramparts. Spells had been cast on the gates so that even with the great distance everyone around could hear them perfectly. "You have reached the Gate of Wiern, entrance to the fair City of Scargo, Capital of the Great Kingdom of Tricily. State your business".

Cordelia Fargrim took a step forward and replied, "Hail! In the name of the King, the Senate and the People of Tricily, my name is Captain Cordelia Fargrim of the Border Patrol Guard summoned back to the city by order of my commanders and of the King, his majesty Marcus III of the House of Perdix. I bring with me the Chief Ambassador to Tricily from Cyrris, the Lord Tystan Sunshower. He has been sent by his King and Country to parlay with the Senate and his Majesty, and to serve as the representative of his fair people to our nation. I bid you open the gates and allow us entrance".

"Foreigners," the guard called down, this time directly addressing Tystan. "Do you so swear that you enter our city with peaceful purpose to abide by our law and represent your King and Country to those who preserve that law and speak for our people?"

"I do sir," Tystan called up as he had been told. (Whether this is true or not I do not know as I do not control Tystan, but these are the ceremonial words).

"Travellers, and my fellow Guardsmen, on behalf of the King, the Senate and the People I do so welcome you to the great City of Scargo. May your stay be peaceful and enjoyable and may the kindness and prosperity of its citizens be conveyed unto you". He turned inwards and shouted down. "Open the Gates!"

Chains rattled and bolts turned. Slowly but surely the great gates of Wiern creaked open, revealing the swept stones of the Avenue Wiern. Lining up along it were houses and buildings and parks and markets. Also lining up along the streets, with guards keeping them from spilling over, were crowds of people, eager at the very least to have something to celebrate and have a fun time of.

The caravan progressed down the Avenue on the prescribed path; Cordelia remaining in place until Tystan had reached the spot where she stood, at which time she rejoined him. Their procession would take them through the streets, some residential, some business and otherwise, until they reached Laurean Square, where the Ambassador would be recieved in front of the Sigurian Building, which was the building in which the Senate convened and had their chambers. Along the way they would pass both normal everyday crowds and, in addition, festivities; decorations, performers, musicians, military displays and the like.

The crowds gathering on the streets had plenty to entertain them; besides just the excitement of seeing these people from a strange foreign land there was also the celebrations at large. There were street vendors, selling toys, knick-knacks and all sorts of food. There were performers, both those there officially for the event and those who flocked to the crowds to earn their keep. There were soldiers in bright uniforms and decorations and magical charms and friends to talk to and music of all sorts and sounds.

Even to the Border Guards, who had seen celebrations in Scargo before, thought it was pretty impressive. Immediately upon entering the gates they were greeted with a ceremonial color guard. Soldiers flanked the initial part of the way dressed smartly in uniforms and with glittering swords, halberds, pikes and armor. There were officers on beautifully groomed horses. Every so often two dragoons flanked the streets, their dragons letting out streams of dazzlingly colored fire to form an arch under which the procession would pass. When he reached a pair Nestor would join in, and Arturio would exchange waves with his fellow dragooneers. There were fantastical decorations; charmed with enchantments, floating or spiralling or casting bright lights. Acrobats did fantastical maneuvers atop whirlwinds so it was as if they performed in mid-air; bursts of colored fire, bright flashing streamers and other such decorations injected into the whirlwinds to spiral around in their confines. Other dragons performed aerial feats overhead along with djinn on whirlwind. Musicians at various intervals played music of every type, traditional and foreign, formal and excitatory; deep moans and high shrills, strums from strings, beats from percussions, soundings from woodwinds, brass and the strangest and most delightful notes from strange and foreign instrumentals. Smells of all sorts also permeated the atmosphere; smoke from the firing of guns, all sorts of savory and delicious smells from the foods being sold and in general just sweet smells otherwise; a charm set by the event organizers, perhaps.

As they went through the city, Captain Fargrim would explain some of these things to Tystan, as well as the other border guards with other Cyrrians (although all still under Captain Fargrim's orders to be cautious against revealing anything that they wouldn't learn publically from their stay in the city anyways). She would point out the sounds and the smells and the sights and identify them as best she could. The different architectures and fashions. Often when they came upon significant sites she would identify them too. Sakura Park, home to acres of cherry blossom trees, at the center of which on a small simple pedestal was a lifesize stone statue of the great Commander Johann Sakura, who had disappeared shortly after his last return to Scargo from battle and whose spirit was said to watch over the park; due to this legend the park was often considered one of the safest places in the city. There was the Grand Postal Transitorium; headquarters of the Royal Tricilian Postal Service and the largest post office in the nation; it was a circular white stone building with tall green windows, designed to promote the most efficient transit of post and parcel in and out of the building; even on that day various couriers could be seen going in and out of the many doors of the building. There was the Library of King Quazores IV, an amazing example of middle-dynastic architecture, a sturdy and ancient stone building with intricate carvings, columns, archways and courtyards, housing many of the nation's old manuscripts and tomes and whose sub-sub-basement was said to hold the tomb of the King himself. The South Scargo Botanical Garden, which in addition to the wonderous array of plants growing outside in intricate displays of natural beauty also included a great giant glass and wrought-iron greenhouse. Entangled within a cluster of vines near the front was a sign etched in stone of which Tystan happened to catch one word-- Jail. When asked about it, Captain Fargrim replied that the Botanical Gardens had once been the site of a prison which had since moved farther away from the city center. She failed to mention that it had in fact the building itself which had once been the prison.

Soon the procession had made its way to Sasanian Circle, one of the most significant and important locations in the entire city. It was also, in a large sense, a sacred site as well. For although the buildings around the circle were all very much important or otherwise significant, it was, in fact, what was in the center of the circle that not only gave it its name but also made this site one of the most important in the country. For in the center of Sasanian Circle stood a giant, towering state of the Great Sasan herself, Empress of Tricily, djinn of all djinn, leader of the Sea Peoples, Captain of the Crimson Fleet and Founder of the Nation; and, to many people in Tricily, a goddess. The statue of Sasan dominated the circle; its maker was a man who was truly a master of his craft. The statue faced inland; behind it the Sjavar Way extended from the circle all the way to the shore of the sea, with a clearing of buildings on either side, so when looking at the statue the sea always formed a canvas behind her, a reminder from whence she had come to form a new nation. It towered over anyone who stood under it in the circle. This was no statue of a smiling benevolent goddess either. Although good, the earliest manuscripts indicated that the founder was a serious and imposing figure, and the statue, tall and dark (although brilliantly illuminated at night), with a dignified and towering pose, radiated nothing short of an imposing, powerful and wise presence upon all who looked upon it.

The procession stopped momentarily in front of the statue in respect before continuing on its way. While they circled around the statue, to continue along the path to lead them to Laurean Square, Captain Fargrim imparted some knowledge of Sasan to the Cyrrian Ambassador. She had arrived there as Captain of the Sea People, the Crimson Fleet, and united her people with the two tribes already living near these shores to form the Kingdom of Tricily (see my history in my application.. it's spoilered). She was proclaimed Empress--the only one to ever recieve this title, alongside the first King and Queen, Gordon of Scalla and Cara of Wiern, on whom the actual burden of running the kingdom lay, with its leaders turning to the Empress for advice, guidance or aid. Over time she appeared less and less often, until eventually she had disappeared altogether. Since then she had been revered in Tricilian culture. "Sasanism", as this system of philosophy and religion was called, was not so much one strict embodiment of beliefs so much as it was a compendium of many different levels of thought compiled under one umbrella. Some revered her only as a great historical figure and respected founder, and as a great leader and philosophical thinker whose teachings formed the foundations of the Kingdom itself. Others got more reverent, viewing her as an extremely powerful figure, great spirit or demigoddess; others revered her as a goddess. Those in the "innermost" circle of Sasanism (not to be confused with the most devout-- because someone subscribing to the innermost circle could barely follow their religion while someone belonging to an outer circle could follow that level very deeply) worshipped Sasan as the Supreme Being, and as a result were often seen as a bit more fanatical than other levels.

She directed Tystan's attention to a building across the circle directly in front of the statue. That, she explained, was the Grand Temple of Sasan, the largest and most significant building of Sasanism, the center for all of its followers. It was an amazing building, due to both the beauty of its architecture and its sheer size. It was massive, with soaring towers, giant archways, intricate carvings and sculptures, columns and pillars like giants, large torches and cauldrons which burned even now in the day, and numerous large windows, many with beautiful stained glass. Bells in two of the frontmost towers let out a chorus of rings in celebration of the occasion. Tystan could see both towers had embedded into their sides clock faces. One tower actually seemed to tell the time, while, on the other, was some strange configuration he could not seem to figure out. Around the front of the temple were a multitude of spectators. On the front steps of the temple were a multitude of people who from their dress Tystan guessed were priests, monks and other officials of the Temple.

After proceeding down a few more streets, with more crowds, more demonstrations and more sites of Scargo they finally reached their destination; Laurean Square. Laurean Square was a large square (well, more like a rectangle) around which many of the important government buildings and monuments in Scargo were located. The procession had arrived near the beginning of the square. At the far end of the square was the Sigurian Building, on the other side of which there was a small cliff overlooking a beach on the seashore. This building was designed so that it looked somewhat palacial, but with a clear sense that it was a building of representatives, of the Senate. Due to it's width and length, it didn't look to be very high, although it was taller than the other buildings around the square. It's four corners were slighly raised a story or two higher and protruding so as to resemble short towers. In the center of the roof from atop the stone arose a large dome of glass, atop of which was perched a stone dragon, it's tail snaking down to the base of the dome, its wings folded, and its head raised vertically to the heaven, letting out a constant stream of bright fire (which changed color depending on occasion and condition). Smaller versions of this dome existed on each of the four corner towers, atop of which rested four griffins, their beaks likewise facing inwards and upwards towards the dragon and letting out similar columns of fire (this not anatomically accurate for a griffin, but it was accepted on artistic merit). These beaks were only lit when the Senate was in session, or, like now, for a special occasion. The dragon's flame on the other hand, was constant and eternal. Much of the back of the building, which the onlookers could not currently see, was also glass, allowing Senators to look out over the cliff and beach and onto the sea. The whole building was raised and flanking either side of the steps were two majestic fountains (This building was partially inspired by the German Bundestag, if anyone wants a visual)

Along the sides of the square existed other buildings of similar architecture, all impressive and unique, but none quite as grand as the Sigurian Building. They were the offices of various ministries, agencies, bureaus or other important buildings such as the Senatorial and Royal Archives. There were also monuments, fountains and plantings. In the center of the square, at the near end to the procession, was a large semi-forested area with trees and bushes and vines and plants and stone sculptures contained within black iron fencing; Tricily Memorial Park and Garden. In somewhat of a stark contrast, the other side of the square, between the Memorial Park and the Sigurian Building, was a large empty space paved flat with stones; an area in which to hold events and parades and other public celebrations. Today was such an occasion. The square was filled with crowds, ceremonial military units, and two bands. The center of the square had been cleared in a wide path. Until now performers had been entertaining the people, but they moved to the sides as the procession made its way around the Memorial Gardens and down the center towards the base of the Sigurian Building, where on the wide middle step leading up to its entrance a stage had been made. Atop this stage now, and to its sides, stood prominent dignitaries; King Marcus, his wife, Queen Isabel, their three children, Princes Antonis and Charles and Princess Anita, the King elder Paolo II, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Countess Minerva Fargrim, several other ministers, a few generals, the Grand Magistrarium and the other Magistrates, the two Tribunes-General and the rest of the Senate, the members of the High Court, the Dukes of Scalla and Wiern and various other nobles, notables and dignitaries.

Arturio continued to lead the way in the procession. He gave a mischevious wink at the older prince, smiling on seeing his old friend back in the city again. Without warning to anyone but the event planners, Nestor spread his wings and took off right over the stage of dignitaries, circling the Sigurian Building and landing on its roof, perching himself on the ledge above the entrance with a shot of fire. The crowd applauded.

Then of course, began the speeches. The King didn't want to make it too long. So first there were a few warm-up speeches by lower dignitaries. Then the Grand Magistrarium (the leader of the Senate as well as it's central 'steering' committee) spoke some words about the nation. Next, there was the official presenting of the Ambassador to the Foreign Minister, which, being a ceremony conducted between two sisters, was a very interesting one to watch. After this spoke Countess Fargrim who, despite her preference against public speaking, was still able to give a well-written and cordial speech about the opportunities of connections between the nations; the benefits of mutual friendship, learning, trading and dealing, and other such things. She also gave the introduction for the King, who likewise gave a rousing speech. (Tystan himself was invited to speak if he wished to publically address the people, King, Senate, etc. on behalf of Cyrris. He was asked this in advance. If you want to, ODF, you may post such a speech. If you don't, it's simply just written out of the ceremony). The crowd could put up with a good speech or two, but only for so long, and, being on their feet, the ceremony took its due course and ended accordingly. People then went their ways to continue on their own personal days of celebration at the local pub or park or, if they wished, to simply just go home. The higher dignitaries, along with the border patrolmen, then hosted the Cyrrians for a reception feast.

The feast was a time to relax. Friend talked to friend. Sister talked to sister (and mother). Dragoon told wild stories to Prince. King talked to... well.. everyone. Everyone tried to introduce themselves to the Ambassador. There were toasts and stories and idle chit chat. Tystan had been told that that night he and his entourage would be accomodated in the Clockmaker Hotel not far from there (so named because, although now considerably luxurious, it was founded by a humble clockmaker) for the night and until Embassy arrgangements were made. In the morning he would meet with the Minister of Foreign Affairs and perhaps the Foreign Advisor. Later that day he'd have a personal audience with the King. Eventually he'd be called by the Senate, who would have to conduct a hearing in order to formally confirm his reception as an Ambassador,though nobody was quite sure when this would happen. The politiking would lie ahead. For now, he had made it.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

KingTip wrote:Sherri pursed her lips and said, "Do you know that your not use magic in this 'civilization'?"

Umbra looked down slightly, meeting the eyes of the strange creature before him. Albeit her appearance had been sudden, his face remained frozen in the slight smile it had held for the past seven decades. Unfamiliar with the flesh he had so recently replaced onto his body, he managed to put up a look of sincere surprise, even though it was too late for real surprise. "Magic is forbidden here? Fascinating. However, I notice that you use magic yourself. From this I deduce that you either are a rogue or a highly ranked member of the community, for whom an exception applies." He savored the slightly lost look of the elf while she made sense of his words and strange accent.
"Taking this into account, I would be greatly pleasured if you were to accompany me to whomever leads your country."

(Assuming you meant "You're not to use")
- - - - -

orangedragonfire wrote:"Ha!", Jim told Nex and the bonehorror that the necromancer was riding on, "You're not... not... the thing you do when you're there... uhm... real! That's it, you're not! You're just a... plumment? peachment? applement? otherfruitment? ... whatever, a part of my iminimganinationtion! And of that purple mushroom. Which I smoked, but it's totally cool. Cause I know you're not here, so I'll just ignore you! What do you think about that, hey?"

Nex tapped her foot on the ground impatiently. She had been watching this fool of a humanoid smoke a variety of mushrooms that is very seldom found in one place during the last half hour, and it was starting to get boring. Although she had spotted a few brands that she'd like to investigate further, even one that might eat through bones . .
Maybe, she thought to herself, Maybe it would have been better to land on the flying islands first. At least the people there appear to be decently clad - even though the only one I've seen from there is dead. A hard head she had, too. Sighing, she bent down to pick up the gnome who had now procured a set of strange, turquoise mushrooms that looked remarkably like skulls and who was far too wasted to resist.
"All right, kiddo. Enough mushrooms for one day."
She carefully removed the pipe from his shivering hands and started to shake him gently.
"I'm getting impatient. If you really want to find out whether the teeth of my little ride here," she indicated the Skeletal Horror, which grinned and showed three-inch razor-sharp teeth, with a nod, "are an illusion or not, you're free to do so. Otherwise, you could take me to your leaders." And I hope they have less mushrooms to smoke. The very real threat in her glowing, deep purple eyes might actually be enough to set the parts of the gnome's brain that aren't completely dazed to finding out that maybe, if these things aren't illusions after all, it might be a smart idea to begin thinking of self-preservation.

- - - - -
@Djehutynakht; You might have noticed that all the emissaries I sent out are lichs. Therefore, it should be easy to draw the conclusion that Cruor, too, is one.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

"Taking this into account, I would be greatly pleasured if you were to accompany me to whomever leads your country."

Sherri paused for a moment, then continued,"I am the Queen, so I am part of the ranks that can use magic. I am also one of the 2 people who lead this country." She looked closer and saw nothing different from a regular being, but she did sense something. Maybe it was just that necromancy going to her head. She had taken necromancy for the first week of being queen. She got off of it because she thought it was too dang scary. But still she felt like she could sense something..." Now, Would you like to talk to me, or the high ruler King Tip, my husband?"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This wasn't happening. Greg had not intended for this to happen. Heck, he was only 11! Now everyone was burning down the royal capital with the whole royal family inside. Catapults have just arrived, too. Now who would lead their empire? I would probably be sacrificed when I tell them it's all my fault. He started think of what to say,

" I'm, S-Sorry, I just threw a rock!

No....

"I did it!"

Nope...

" I swear on the Council's heart I didn't do it!"

Oooh, that one was good, No he would have to tell the truth.

He had gone to school, just normal, wasn't any special occasion. when he arrived in history, Mrs. Henswick asked them what they thought of the protest. BIG mistake. Greg said he was fine with them, even on the castle's side. every broke out in a fight, he tried to throw a rock at a bully, he ducked and it hit the teacher. She fell unconscious, and out the window. Everyone got really mad, so they went out ant started throwing things at the castle, he wasn't sure why. But alas, adults joined in and now the castle was falling...

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

KingTip wrote:"Now, Would you like to talk to me, or the high ruler King Tip, my husband?"

"The Queen herself? That is a surprise. Why, I would be delighted to speak to both of you. Mayhaps, in a more comfortable environment? Graveyards are not necessarily the best choice for political discussions." The tall figure smiled invitingly. "If you would lead the way"

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

((I've noticed that no undead emissary was sent my way. Oddly enough, that sounds about right))

It was a dwarven tradition, to the extent that it merited its own guild, the Crypt Carver's guild. When a dwarf died, he was to be sealed in a large, granite casket, and sealed in a hand-carved granite tomb. The family would have a week to carve out his or her story, and some words of fairwell, along with a traditional send-off blessing, before the tomb was sealed forever, never to be opened again. The family would then bicker over who got the deceased Dwarve's possessions, which could take months in a larger dwarven family.

Conversely, the Terrinech never cared much for their dead. It would have been up to their priest class to care at all, and in the tribal days bodies were eaten or burned, or their bones turned to weapons. Even now, the bodies are burned, and their ashes are used as fertilizer, their bones sometimes turned into ceremonial weapons. Important figures might bewritten down, but few care much for the men behind their legacies. They treated the living differently, if course, but once you died, you ceased to be important.

The Feheron would leave their dead to the elements, or at least move them from their cities for the sake of hygiene. Many Feheron get lost in the deserts, or eaten by wild animals, and it has become part of their traditions that their dead return to the cycle of life, returning their borrowed magic to the land that bested them. Families would mourn with their communities, while worshiping their gods, knowing that the dead's magic lingered and watched, ever present.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

"The Queen herself? That is a surprise. Why, I would be delighted to speak to both of you. Mayhaps, in a more comfortable environment? Graveyards are not necessarily the best choice for political discussions." The tall figure smiled invitingly. "If you would lead the way"

"Political, eh? Yes I would be glad to take you to our fine castle in our capital." Sherri paused for a moment. "And welcome to New Willville!"
"Here we are, the capital- Wil-" Her mouth gaped open. The castle was in ruins. "Come quickly!" As Sherri and the Being ran, "Do you know any healing spells?" Sherri couldn't believe herself. She asked a foreigner to use magic. It had to be done, She was sure the Grand Council would forgive her.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Gorb had just reached the gates of Cyrris. There were no guards, so he walked on in. he asked a few local villagers where he could find the King, but only one replied: "Where are you from, and why do you wish to speak with the leader?" " I come in peace from New Willville, I wish for no harm."

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

sco

Postby sco » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

turkbaris13 wrote:The pirates can block the ports but cannot invade the South colony since they made up with only navy but since Turkeryan navy is all around the colonies they will have hard time to do anything harmfull.

The pirates are a full orcish war party, massed from a number of islands and they could land and do some serious damage if they get past your ships. This is a much larger attack than a random raid.

Djehutynakht wrote: King Marcus paused and thought for a moment. He remained largely expressionless--spending your childhood as a prince attending formal events is good training for that--but the talisman around his neck continued to glow; not so much of an angry glow, so much, but more of a very interested or even excited one. He thought about the options. Was he really considering, even unofficially, making the Secret Guard's primary group of interest an informant of the state? Dear Sasan! Either Ulmati would think him a genius or think him a fool! But the possibilities and the potentials, they were tempting. Of course, all of their information probably couldn't be taken for granted as definately true, and it was perhaps true that they would funnel the information the other way (although, if they had no access to anything secret, what did it matter?). And he also had to consider who they he was dealing with. They were suspected, secretly, of murder; he would get around to making sure that got taken care of in due time when evidence was found. It was also possible they were already guilty of crimes against the state, though in the world of intelligence, he understood, that was not necessarily something you sought immeditate retribution for, but rather kept in your back pocket to use later. He was sure they were trying to entice him, especially with such obvious references to the Cyrrians. He'd play along for now. But he should probably make sure to confer with Ulmati.

Marcus drew a notepad and pencil out of his robes. He hoped the magic would work properly; this only worked naturally for Djinn who were close, although magicians had found ways to extend it with artificial magic such as he was using now to apply it to others. In any case Ulmati was in for a suprise. Perhaps the Ulindians as well. He jotted down a message on the paper, tore it out of the pad, folded it neatly, and swallowed it whole. The reaction was what he expected.

"Don't mind me gentlemen," Marcus replied. "Now, back to business. What you tell me is very interesting. We are indeed beginning to branch out into the world outside of our borders more. Any information or advice you could give us in regards to our travels or to foreign peoples and kingdoms would indeed be quite helpful. It is very obvious that you are a truly widespread and knowledgeable people. Would you mind giving me a small demonstration of your knowledge? An example of what would be to come if we were to look to you regularly in the future for any information of the lands beyond the trees and seas?"

“If we knew which nations, if any, you have made contact with then we could tell you information that you would find most useful, but to begin with we would warn against exploring the temples and tombs in the lands to the east, there is a great danger there that must not be awakened. We understand that you do not trust us but this is of the utmost importance, the power that may emerge from that place would spell death and destruction for many peoples.”

Queen Arasene wrote: Umbra set off the same day, traveling by foot.
Cruor departed two days after the meeting, traveling on a turtle.
Fumus went by the fastest water animal he could find, departing only hours after Cruor.
Lues locked himself up in his lodging for almost a month before he set out, by one of the fifteen boats the country had.
Nex located her target a mere week after the meeting and took a grand farewell before leaving on a skeletal horror designed for this purpose.

- - - - -
Sco, are you all right if the Teleport Anchor in my teleportation lore used to be in Tarus? That would make an ideal explanation for how you got a rift to the lower planes in the first place.

No problem with having the teleport anchor here, I assume that means you travel through the lower plane briefly to teleport?
The bedraggled lich pulls himself from the roiling seas surrounding Tarus. A priest stands a short way away, watching him. “It seems like you made it out alive, more or less. What is your business on our island, and do you serve Neylorn?” Through all this the priest smiles but there is a hint around his eyes that the wrong answer would mean death. (just out of interest, how long does a lich die for? Does it immediately reappear or does it take time? Also, does it reassemble near it’s phylactery, where it died or somewhere else?)

orangedragonfire wrote: Martheus temporarily blocked a few of the spells on the crystal, rendering it inert and thus expelling devil. The Highmaster was Magic stared at his favorite research subject ever, before he sighed, and cancelled the spell that kept the devil from leaving the prime plane.

"As you may have noticed.", he said dryly, "You are now able to leave whenever you so desire. I do not have an imprint of your soul, so I wouldn't be able to summon you specifically. Do you understand?"

Sure, Ulinder had technically allowed him to keep the devil, but he had still taken it unjustified. Well, maybe. According to Sirilly. But, the woman did seem to know a lot about their God, so... she was probably right. And that meant that Martheus had to release the devil. He prided himself in following the rules, and when you became aware of being in possession of something that you got unlawfully, you were supposed to give it back.

He turned away from the devil, not waiting for an answer, not wanting to see it when it disappeared back to where it had come from.

To Martheus’s surprise the dvil did not vanish but rather laughed as the mage turned his back, “oh, I understand.” Another laugh, “so the young mage got scolded? And so now you’re sending me back?” it pauses for a moment, looking mock thoughtful, “that doesn’t sound like something my lord would order, so you’re merely giving up are you? And here I was thinking that I saw so much promise in you, so much ambition. It seems that they’re just giving away Highmaster of Magic positions around here. Perhaps I’ll be able to find someone else who’s interested… that Sirily seemed promising, no magic, of course, but plenty of ambition. High merchant must be more difficult to attain than Highmaster of magic I suppose.”

orangedragonfire wrote: Depending on how rigorous the requirements for a sacrifice are, they could have been arranged. If it just has to be people killed in Ulinder's name, that's easy. There should be at least ten trained assassins in the Ulinder cult. They'll just do their normal jobs, but dedicate the kills to Ulinder.

Yeah, that should work, so long as their souls are made as offerings then it should be ok, so long as the kills were relatively recent.
Vieto wrote: ((ok, I'll skip the tour))
Later that evening, Emperor Montizech and his dwarven minister of war, his terrinech minister of foreign affairs, and his feheron minister of the arcane sat across from his guests in a comfortable room, his look serious.

"Welcome Azel and Balae, and thank you for sitting through the boring works of making three highly disagreeable races feel relatively at ease with your presence. Now, I would like to get serious. From what little we know of you, you have something of a different magical presence here, and that presence does seem to be dropping at a surprising rate, and our best estimates are that you have two days until that runs out, with unknown consequences, so we will not keep you too long, unless you wish to stay and that has harmless effects. I hope you are not offended if I were to suggest that it does not take much guesswork, even amongst the least religious amongst us, though my arcane minister gives me her strongest warnings, that you are a demon of some sorts. What that means, I suspect I will find out shortly."

"Your first question was why we were watching you, or rather, the aurora. That answer is simple. In recent times, a wisp of unknown magic started to appear over our waters, and it creates an aurora, visible just off of the coast from our capital, but clearer near our easternmost mining colonies. We were simply doing the logical thing with an unknown potential threat; studying it. You say you come from under it, so it may put me at ease if you were to explain what it is, exactly."

"Now, aside from that, what would you like to talk about? I may suggest we set up embassies and some initial trade routes, as my people seek exotic wares, luxuries, medicines, resources, and novelties, while we have many things that we might be willing to trade. Or is there something else?"

((If you want to write out the tour that’s fine, or even just the highlights, I just figured it might keep things moving a little quicker))
The devils shudder a little at being called demons, “if it would please your highness we are sometimes known as devils, amongst some people, but demons we are not. To clarify, demons are loud, uncivilised, mad creatures, barely sentient rarely very intelligent. Such creatures and distinctions are unlikely to be known to you but are of some importance to our people. As to the Aurora, it is magic that slips through during our magic works, and lingers around our lands. It has some effects upon those within but is not dangerous from the outside and will remain localised around the islands. Finally, we would be most honoured to be allowed to set up an embassy in your fair land and would welcome the presence of an embassy from Natechia in Tarus. We also have much to trade, as many wonders are created as a side-effect of the magics of the aurora, not to mention the work of our own craftsmen. We also noticed on our journey here that your technology is very impressive but that your proficiency with magic seems to be somewhat lacking. It seems that a trade, not only in goods but in knowledge, may be in order.

Vieto wrote: sco wrote:

"Power is something I do seek, as I would love nothing less than to eradicate the manipulative Terrinech demons or the dirty sand elves and their tricks, as well as ruling over the great dwarven houses. However, you have the look of a demon, and we have old stories of demons and their ilk. I may make a compromise here, but I am ill reasoned to see why I should trust you, or what power you do have, and I fear to hear the price of that power."

“my ilk is devils, although the distinction seems to have become lost with time. You have no reason to trust me, but merely hear what I have to say. The power you seek is yours for the taking, and all we ask in return is for any prisoners that you may take, and for one of your magnificent ships. The secrets of summoning even the most powerful demons are surprisingly simple, requiring only a willing heart and a steadfast will, along with a fitting tribute, of course. Do we have a deal?”

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 am UTC

sco wrote:No problem with having the teleport anchor here, I assume that means you travel through the lower plane briefly to teleport?
The bedraggled lich pulls himself from the roiling seas surrounding Tarus. A priest stands a short way away, watching him. “It seems like you made it out alive, more or less. What is your business on our island, and do you serve Neylorn?” Through all this the priest smiles but there is a hint around his eyes that the wrong answer would mean death. (just out of interest, how long does a lich die for? Does it immediately reappear or does it take time? Also, does it reassemble near it’s phylactery, where it died or somewhere else?)

Yes, that means that for a very, very, very tiny fraction of a second, a necromancer teleporting will pass through the lower planes.
A lich who "dies" does not die; his physical incarnation, the bone form he has taken, is destroyed. The lich's soul will return to his phylactery, severely weakened. Most likely it will take him a decade before he is able to reclaim a body.

Fumus slowly rises from the ground, several cracked bones repairing themselves slowly under his torn robes as he stand to his full height of 7'2". "I cannot recall serving a Neylorn. Why don't you tell me more about him?" He meets the priest's eyes with his own set of sockets preaching a long way that their owner is
1) not afraid of death because he knows a lot more about it than you do
2) slightly doubting you alone will be able to pull it off and
3) very, very dangerous himself.
- - - - - - -

KingTip wrote:"Political, eh? Yes I would be glad to take you to our fine castle in our capital." Sherri paused for a moment. "And welcome to New Willville!"
"Here we are, the capital- Wil-" Her mouth gaped open. The castle was in ruins. "Come quickly!" As Sherri and the Being ran, "Do you know any healing spells?" Sherri couldn't believe herself. She asked a foreigner to use magic. It had to be done, She was sure the Grand Council would forgive her.

Umbra never ran. It was an essential rule he followed. Instead, his long stride carried him effortlessly beside the wood elf as she ran to the smoking remains of what could have been a castle. It was still smoking, a sign that the change had been recent. Of course, the complete surprise of the Queen -if it really was her- was another good clue.
"I fear I am not very advanced within healing, although I can mend bones like few." New Willville. I must remember that.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Queen Arasene Wrote:
Umbra never ran. It was an essential rule he followed. Instead, his long stride carried him effortlessly beside the wood elf as she ran to the smoking remains of what could have been a castle. It was still smoking, a sign that the change had been recent. Of course, the complete surprise of the Queen -if it really was her- was another good clue.
"I fear I am not very advanced within healing, although I can mend bones like few." New Willville. I must remember that.

"Mended bones are better than broken ones. Perhaps the doctor is already inside..." She was trying to calm herself down, when she saw Lauren. Well, at least the body of Lauren. She saw Tipper and Tip holding each other. She ran towards them, "Who got the sacrifice liquid?" "Who is that?!" Tipper asked. "He's here to speak with me and your father, but Tip, who?" "We don't know, but I am ready to talk. Military? No, you re no elf. Political, are you a foreigner?"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

King Tip was surprised with the visitor. But not with the sacrifice of his daughter. He knew it would come someday with the protests. And he knew it could be any one of them. He was sad, but he had been prepared. "We have a seprate building for meetings, right this way, I'm sorry I don't think I caught your name."
As they walked, he took in the damage, there was no upper floor, (the royal family had the B1 floor, for this reason)and everything else was at least smoking. some fabrics were still on fire.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 am UTC

ODF, I recently noticed an error on the front page. On the Country post, you have me listed as 'Djehutynakht", which is my screenname, not my country name. My country name is Tricily.

sco wrote:“If we knew which nations, if any, you have made contact with then we could tell you information that you would find most useful, but to begin with we would warn against exploring the temples and tombs in the lands to the east, there is a great danger there that must not be awakened. We understand that you do not trust us but this is of the utmost importance, the power that may emerge from that place would spell death and destruction for many peoples.”

King Marcus thought for a second. "The East?" he frowned with difficulty for a moment. "The East is a very big place. I'm wondering if you could be a bit more specific? How east? We know of some places beyond our Eastern Border, although I do admit only for so far. A lot of this area, so far as we know, is either deserted or filled with other tribes, some of which we do admit are barbaric or savage. Is this the East you speak of, or is there some place beyond?

As you probably know from the public announcements, the Cyrrian Ambassador is due to arrive tomorrow. I know, for instance, that he comes from a Kingdom to the East. A Kingdom which we hope to establish relations with--even with the wild lands existing in between. Is this the evil land you speak of, or is it even beyond that? And in any case, what can you tell us about Cyrris? I may ask you for information regarding people we are coming into contact with, although if anything pops up on it's own-- a land beyond the sea or foreign tribes or such, be sure to let me know".

Alfred Hindelbras, chief engineer and co-director of the Quaz Fortification Project, once more sat in his office on the southern peak of the Strait, looking over more plans for proposed designs when suddenly two workmen burst into his office.

"Sir, you need to come down to the Strait!" the first one explained, catching his breath. Hindelbras sighed, put down the plans and looked at them sternly.

"Is this another one of those mermaid tales again? Because if it is, by Sasan I swear I'll--"

"No sir, no, it's not that. It's something else. It's a man!"

Hindelbras was beginning to get annoyed. "A man? Alone? Is he shipwrecked and afloat? Is he dead? What kind of man?"

"No sir, he's alive and afloat. He's coming through the Strait as we speak."

Hindelbras was now considerably annoyed. Even though there were Customs officials and Naval officers, for whatever reason they always seemed to come to him for whatever reason. And this. This was especially trivial. One-manned ships, while rare, were not unheard of passing through the Strait for trade, and usually only required the work of a customs officer. "A man is sailing through the Strait alone? What significance does this have? What in your right minds made you think that this was important enough to come shouting to me for!?"

The second man spoke up after having caught his breath as well. "Well sir, he's not coming in on a ship. The man's riding a giant turtle!"

"A giant what?!"

"A giant turtle sir. Right through the strait. He looks unusual too. Not like he's from around these parts".

They must be seeing things. "Nonsense," Hindelbras said, brushing past them and walking outside. "Just some more of your crazy sea-tales, like those mermaid stories you've all been making up". Yet when he, taking out his spyglass and looking down into the Strait--there he saw it, plain as day. A strange looking man riding through the Strait on a giant sea turtle as if nothing was amiss. He had to look again to make sure it was real.

"What in the world..." he figured this was worth looking into himself; however, he should probably get those whose duties were to actually handle some cases to take a look too. "Men," he said to the two workmen, who had followed him out there. "Quick, someone signal that man to land. Have him pull up next to the building dock. If he doesn't play along we'll have to talk to the navy. Speaking of which, someone go fetch High Admiral Horatio Black, and someone else the Chief Customs Officer. I don't know what in the world this is, but I intend to find out".

Feel free to introduce yourself in the next post, as if all of the above had already been completed. That is, unless you are trying to break through the Strait.

Queen Arasene

Postby Queen Arasene » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Alfred Hindelbras, chief engineer and co-director of the Quaz Fortification Project, once more sat in his office on the southern peak of the Strait, looking over more plans for proposed designs when suddenly two workmen burst into his office.

"Sir, you need to come down to the Strait!" the first one explained, catching his breath. Hindelbras sighed, put down the plans and looked at them sternly.

"Is this another one of those mermaid tales again? Because if it is, by Sasan I swear I'll--"

"No sir, no, it's not that. It's something else. It's a man!"

Hindelbras was beginning to get annoyed. "A man? Alone? Is he shipwrecked and afloat? Is he dead? What kind of man?"

"No sir, he's alive and afloat. He's coming through the Strait as we speak."

Hindelbras was now considerably annoyed. Even though there were Customs officials and Naval officers, for whatever reason they always seemed to come to him for whatever reason. And this. This was especially trivial. One-manned ships, while rare, were not unheard of passing through the Strait for trade, and usually only required the work of a customs officer. "A man is sailing through the Strait alone? What significance does this have? What in your right minds made you think that this was important enough to come shouting to me for!?"

The second man spoke up after having caught his breath as well. "Well sir, he's not coming in on a ship. The man's riding a giant turtle!"

"A giant what?!"

"A giant turtle sir. Right through the strait. He looks unusual too. Not like he's from around these parts".

They must be seeing things. "Nonsense," Hindelbras said, brushing past them and walking outside. "Just some more of your crazy sea-tales, like those mermaid stories you've all been making up". Yet when he, taking out his spyglass and looking down into the Strait--there he saw it, plain as day. A strange looking man riding through the Strait on a giant sea turtle as if nothing was amiss. He had to look again to make sure it was real.

"What in the world..." he figured this was worth looking into himself; however, he should probably get those whose duties were to actually handle some cases to take a look too. "Men," he said to the two workmen, who had followed him out there. "Quick, someone signal that man to land. Have him pull up next to the building dock. If he doesn't play along we'll have to talk to the navy. Speaking of which, someone go fetch High Admiral Horatio Black, and someone else the Chief Customs Officer. I don't know what in the world this is, but I intend to find out".

Cruor put a hand to his eyes, shading them so he could see more clearly what a show the men on the docks were putting up. It certainly seemed to involve a lot of running around screaming and waving flags in different colors. He assumed rightfully that they must be celebrating a national holiday, until one man came with a large sign saying "DOCK HERE" in albeit somewhat strange letters. [i]Oh, so that's what they want,[/i] he thought to himself. Slowly, his turtle turned to the assigned landing place. When he came closer, standing regally on his mount, he could see a number of men running to the dock. Ah, the welcome committee is approaching. As his turtle glided to a stop, he stepped off it onto the pier without missing a beat. A friendly smile crept onto his face as he faced the Admiral, Customs Officer and Chief Engineer Hindelbras.
"Good Day, Gentlemen. To whom do I owe the pleasure?" And Cruor bent into a bow that should be reserved for ballet dancers.

- - - - - - - -
KingTip wrote:"Military? No, you're no elf. Political, are you a foreigner?"

"Sacrifice liquid?" Umbra murmured. These people are not only strange, they appear to have their own form of necromancy. And they change the subject very fast.
"Political, " He answered, forcing his stiff muscles into a low bow, a very impressive sight with his tall shape and swirling robes. "I have traveled a long way to meet and hopefully befriend you. Although it strikes me that this may not be the entirely appropriate time, what with your castle in ruins and a number of injured spread out around the remains. Allow me to offer any help I can, before we discuss such trivial matters as politics."

Return to “Forum Games”