Word Crescent

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Word Crescent

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

Reecer6 wrote:According to volume 1 of the handbook

But doesn't V.2 of the handbook overrule volume 1? I thought one was meant to discard all previous volumes of it, and only new ones would take place (BUT, this is only mentioned in V.2, while volume 1 does say that all its rules will carry to future handbooks.)

I guess we need someone to pit in and clarify this, I certainly played this as if it was Mornington Crescent, but had no idea there was Handbook Controversy in this one.

In any case, I'll wait and see what's up with this. If I won the game (according to V.2) then my new word target is Checkmate. If I didn't (according to volume 1) then I'll be stuck in caravan the rest of the game (which is like the Dollis Hill of Word Crescent).

Otherwise, this enters Quantum Phenomena ruling (thecamoninja seems to be an expert on this), which would create a super-position of games, one where I won and a new game started, another where players are still trying to get to Praline, with the players playing both games simultaneously and their first move of the new game having to be a valid move of the old one.

We have to decide on this before they release Word Crescent for Morningtons Handbook V.2.1 Alpha, only god knows what they'll change in there...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Well ordinarily this kind of dispute would be settled by a duel, with Vytron to choose the weapons and location (in this case chair legs in a disused meth lab would be the genteel choice). However, in online discussions this is less practical.

In fact there is no exact precedent for this situation. I would recommend following volume 0, which states:
Volume 0 wrote:Item If a player reaches the goal, not before placing another player in the state known as Jette or Jet, the enjetted is granted the prerogative to [rest of line is unintelligible. Next line continues as:] up to three times. If the enjetted chose to defenes [water damage] and only if he duplicated the glass token* can he [page badly burnt to bottom of paragraph] has been killed.

If the goaling player had preformed a shake or vub action in the last turn, he ["can"; or possibly "cannot"] claim invulnerability to rule 45 or [text that followed resisted printing] with flip words, drug words or "palpitation". The latter is banned if, as the saying goes [The rest of this rule is written in an unknown language]

*Glass tokens are, of course, no longer used.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Otherwise, this enters Quantum Phenomena ruling (thecamoninja seems to be an expert on this), which would create a super-position of games, one where I won and a new game started, another where players are still trying to get to Praline, with the players playing both games simultaneously and their first move of the new game having to be a valid move of the old one.

Please, I'm by no means an expert here, but I suppose my knowledge on the subject surpasses most others, more due to my interest in particle physics than actual superior knowledge of the rules.
The thing about Quantum Phenomenon play is that the books written on it are incredibly rare and remarkably obtuse; I've only ever gotten my hands on one, and that was out of date (from the 90s, I think - it still referred to the top and bottom quarks as "truth and beauty"). Luckily for us, the books aren't necessary. Seeing as quantum physics is such a cutting edge field, the rules are constantly changing with new discoveries as it is, and if one is well enough versed in both the relevant science and gameplay, the rules can be gleaned from simply reading up on peer-reviewed texts in the field of quantum physics itself, without the notoriously-obtuse writers of Crescent rule books getting in the way. I've just book looking over some papers and science news articles, actually, and the discovery of the Higgs Boson was obviously hugely influential on these rules - now that we have evidence of where exactly the weight of words comes from, the use of the connotative play that was originally taken out in, I believe the Word Crescent Standard Handbook Version 1.42.3.15159, has been brought back into use.

As to the question at hand, I believe there is a controversy between the handbooks as to what to do when there is a handbook controversy, but Diaphanous's dueling solution sounds far too much like the Neo CrescentWord rules for my liking (I'm not well acquainted with Volume Zero. I can see where the NCW folks got their inspiration). And besides, that's hella obselete. To solve the issue with a Quantum Phenomenon is an interesting proposition, though: theoretically, in order for it to work, no one would be able to view the thread without it collapsing into a superposition of one game or the other, but I'm not sure if that's exactly how the rules would play out. I think rather what we need to do is get Reecer to edit his post contesting Vytron's winning move, such that the event that would create the superposition cannot be observed, thereby placing the entire thread after that post into the Quantum Phenomena rules that Vytron touched on in the post I quoted.

That would certainly make the game more interesting. There are advantages of QP play, of course, and I mean apart from just freshening the game up with different rules than most of us are used to. For instance, it basically makes cheating impossible: players who use computer programs to generate optimal plays given the game's parameters would need a quantum supercomputer to make those programs work for this game. Ultimately, though, the decision lies with Reecer, and if he decides not to edit his post then I guess we'll just have to keep arguing it out until someone convinces a majority of others (or at least, a majority of dedicated players) one way or the other. Keep in mind, though, that if he does decide to put us into QP play, there's nothing we can do about it. No amount of arguing can change the laws of physics. Or Word Crescent.

I guess I'll send a PM to Reecer to tell him about the situation.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 am UTC

I've decided the best course of action was to edit out my post. I suppose Vytron fought for it really well too. Good game.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Okay so recap (unless I've totally fucked up the QP rules which is possible):
The game now exists in a superposition of the old one, in which Vytron did not win and the target word is still Praline, and a new game, in which Vytron won the last one and set the new target as Checkmate. Therefore, each single word played must be valid as if it were being played in each of these games separately. There are some other rules as well, but those should be pretty easy to work out for yourself if you have a basic working knowledge of Quantum Physics, so there's no point in detailing them here.

And I do believe the last word Vytron played discounting praline would be either shake or milkshake - can someone confirm one way or the other? Does the fusing of Vyt and ron also fuse the milk to the subsequent shake?

Also, Diaphanous should probs edit into the OP that the game currently exists in a quantum superposition, so as not to confuse anyone who joins later on.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:Also, Diaphanous should probs edit into the OP that the game currently exists in a quantum superposition, so as not to confuse anyone who joins later on.

Done

This is interesting, I've never seen a game end/not end like that. Fortunately, the word I was planning still works fairly well to start the second game.

Pralidoxime (spin 1/2)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Thanks guys! Yes, I think this must be unprecedented in any game of Word Crescent before! In Mornignton Crescent when something like this happens, the handbooks are taken into the same priority, causing the player to just get a half-win and a new game to start, but I think the way it happens in Word Crescent is a lot more interesting!

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
Volume 0 wrote:Item If a player reaches the goal, not before placing another player in the state known as Jette or Jet, the enjetted is granted the prerogative to [rest of line is unintelligible. Next line continues as:] up to three times. If the enjetted chose to defenes [water damage] and only if he duplicated the glass token* can he [page badly burnt to bottom of paragraph] has been killed.

If the goaling player had preformed a shake or vub action in the last turn, he ["can"; or possibly "cannot"] claim invulnerability to rule 45 or [text that followed resisted printing] with flip words, drug words or "palpitation". The latter is banned if, as the saying goes [The rest of this rule is written in an unknown language]

*Glass tokens are, of course, no longer used.

That's what happens when they only produce a single Volume and the guy that uploads it treats it that badly!

such that the event that would create the superposition cannot be observed.

Yes, I've also deleted the pertinent part of the volume 0 that was sending me to caravan, so that the other superposition can't be observed (luckily, Google Cache doesn't have it, so people can't observe it now.)

I'm still in Shake with no legal move.
Cheers Marsh'n!

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Joining this game. I mean, two games. I mean, this... thing. And I'll start with philoprogenitive.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Thanks flicky, an exponential word (with 24 characters) means I can leave caravan in the unobservable superposition. I never thought a player would do that.

This allows me to play:

Pentephraxis

Getting into fictional territory.
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Just think - if there were more science to back the theory up, we could have split this thread into two parallel universes. But that would just have been two separate Word Crescent threads, which would have been way more boring than this.

Anyways, I play Stolidity, while simultaneously taking the pitch action, which normally would make it bounce off of Vytron's Pentephraxis, but as that word is fictional (though I believe the correct terminology during QP is theoretical ಠ_ಠ), it passes straight through and instead hits flicky's philoprogenitive with a resounding *bwoyoyoyoyoyoyoing*, yielding me 12 high-energy tokens (remember, philoprogenitive has a multiplicative effect on words used in conjunction with it).
Last edited by thecamoninja on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

If I've done my math right, the two games will merge in 22 turns, leaving a single game with two victory conditions. That is, unless one finishes.
I think established is the best course of action here. While I've basically pulled a Que move in the praline game (opening up the option of 2-syllable words), it causes me to buy an inn in checkmate. 1 Dreber coin a turn, unless inn is landed on, wherein I get a Draper coin, if anyone forets inn moves in QP.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Correct me if I'm right, but can't I play antidisestablishmentarianism now, thus undermining the possibility of winning for the next 5 turns?

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

As you are, in fact, wrong, no correction is warranted.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

I shift by 3 hours (backwards) and play disguize [sic].
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Taking advantage of quantum tunneling, I pass through the Regulation regulation, allowing me to spiral to

Praline

What happens now? :mrgreen:

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 am UTC

thecamoninja wrote:(though I believe the correct terminology during QP is theoretical ಠ_ಠ)

No, no, it's definitively fictional. While theoretical words may be speculated to exist or be purely hypothetical, fictional words exist almost surely* in non-factual works.

*This is related to the convergences of infinity and minus infinity at the other side of the number line, which some people wrongly refer to as "minus zero". The idea being that if the universe didn't exist at all, then words such as Pentephraxis would, by force, exist.

Now, I'm going to theorize about things I can't actually comprehend, and are inconceivable to me, such as, Dr. Diaphanous reaching Praline in a Quantum superposition (and this is exclusively conjectural) that I can't observe, because, as I am from a reality where I reached it first and won, it's impossible to me to make any measures in such a parallel world.

BUT, if it were to happen, surely Dr. Diaphanous's canon would have me still stuck in caravan while the game continued, making me a loser in his universe, and he being the winner from his point of view. I'd wonder if he also would choose the word Checkmate as the word in his new game, so that for everyone else, both universes would be indistinguishable, or if he'd instead choose a radically different word, so that players in the game would have a choice of a winning word from the pair, while I'd try to reach Checkmate first, and he would try to reach his new word first.

While I wouldn't be able to perceive such an outcome, I'm confident I'd be able to deduce it happened by just seeing players make non-nonsensical looking moves that would be optimal to reach a given word.

I'll jump from the abstract to realness with fictitious.

BTW, where is Dr. Diaphanous? He hasn't posted in a while.
Cheers Marsh'n!

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

I will go to double, allowing the next person to post a double word.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

The instance of me that won celebrates, then creates a new game where the target is Checkmating. :twisted:

I play Dephlogisticated

Then use the double to play Out-Herods

The instance of me where Vytron won plays Wheeler-dealers

And uses the double to play Lopado­temacho­selacho­galeo­kranio­leipsano­drim­hypo­trimmato­silphio­parao­melito­katakechy­meno­kichl­epi­kossypho­phatto­perister­alektryon­opte­kephallio­kigklo­peleio­lagoio­siraio­baphe­tragano­pterygon 8-) I use the length-dependent coin spinner on this word.

As per the flagrant rule abuse rule, I played far too many words and I am placed in jail. Worth it!

I use the double to be in gaol. :mrgreen:

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:I play Wheeler-dealers

And use the double to play Lopado­temacho­selacho­galeo­kranio­leipsano­drim­hypo­trimmato­silphio­parao­melito­katakechy­meno­kichl­epi­kossypho­phatto­perister­alektryon­opte­kephallio­kigklo­peleio­lagoio­siraio­baphe­tragano­pterygon 8-) I use the length-dependent coin spinner on this word.

As per the flagrant rule abuse rule, I played far too many words and I am placed in jail. Worth it!

I use the double to be in gaol. :mrgreen:

Huh? I don't see any flagrant rule abuse, unless you did it in some other reality I can't observe...

Anyway, perhaps not optimal, but I have the chance, and I don't know if I'll ever get another:

I play God.

I Smite Dr. Diaphanous.

Yes.

He'll have to decide if he keeps playing as a Zombie, or as a Ghost, or Something Else (really, people usually don't kill others in Word Crescent because the possible actions when one is dead are immense.)
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Ready for my master play?

Using the rules outlined in chapter five ofThe Quick Crescent Game Manual for Casual Play, "Crescent Gaming in Restaurants, Diners, Eateries, Slophouses, Pubs, Inns, and Pinns" I say grace over my meal, then call the waiter over during my turn and ask for the Check, which is a free move, allowing me to subsequently play Mate. This, of course would normally be a totally illegal move, but in combination with Vytron's God play and my say grace action, I am allowed one miracle.

I then expend my 12 high energy tokens to supercollide together the two words check and mate, giving me a single weightier fused word: Checkmate.

I therefore win Vytron's game, and furthermore, as per the Codices Suffixologistas, I will be technically legally able to play checkmating on my next turn, winning the other game as well, unless someone can stop me.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Gah! I'm such a n00b at this game, playing God was a terrible mistake, and it's so obvious now...

Sorry everyone, for having disappoint you.

Congrats on the win thecamoninja!

thecamoninja wrote:I will be technically legally able to play checkmating on my next turn, winning the other game as well, unless someone can stop me.

No idea why would you want to Play Checkmating in your next turn, but as I'm awaiting for your new word to continue the game, I can't stop you.
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Wait, shit, what just happened?
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

You won by playing Checkmate and I'm waiting for your new word to start a new game.

Oh, now I see, if Checkmating was a valid move somehow (only if there's another game running I cannot observe, as God can access all words if and only if someone else just won in another reality), then I'd have gotten there before you?!

God (pun denied), I hate Quantum Phenomena rules, I feel I'm missing something that is happening somewhere else!
Cheers Marsh'n!

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

I think I may have gotten confused. However, I play enluted in the one reality that still has a game, which should activate the brunch house, giving thecamoninja a choice of either "absolutely nothing" or "nothing whatsoever".
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Vytron, I guess I was just confused by your interesting choice of words to italicize and emphasize in that post.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Oh, I see.

flicky1991 wrote:However, I play enluted in the one reality that still has a game

Well, in that case I play from God to Checkmating if there's a reality that still has a game, even if I cannot observe it, just to be safe.
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 am UTC

I think all this confusion is making the quantum waveform unstable. Vytron, let's try to collude to make a major play that will upset it so much as to collapse the superposition. Of course, I don't even know what games are still active and what words we're targeting, but I'mma go ahead and play Osteoporosis and let you guys work it out.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 am UTC

thecamoninja wrote:Of course, I don't even know what games are still active and what words we're targeting

In my reality you won with Checkmate and I'm still waiting for you to send a new target word!

In the mean time, I don't know where I'm going, so I think it's opportune to play Lost.
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:53 am UTC

But in my reality I think you accidentally won a different game by unintentionally playing checkmating, and so you need to pick a new word!
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:But in my reality I think you accidentally won a different game by unintentionally playing checkmating, and so you need to pick a new word!

IF I did that then you wouldn't have been able to observe it!

I have an idea, let's pick a new word together, this should collapse everyone into the same reality, in where everyone has a single game and a single word target which is the same for everyone.

I suggest we do it in the following way (because this is how it'd be done in Mornington Crescent, while Word Crescent has some kind of void in its Quantum Phenomena ruling, causing these confusing events.) You pick 4 different word target candidates, and from these, I pick which one of those would be it.

Also, play would not start from scratch, players would start from the last word they were in past game (I'd start from Lost, you from Osteoporosis, etc.), so that we avoid any possible quantum waveform instability due to Out Of Game Moves.

This means you'd pick 4 words that don't give you or me any advantage from our current position and I'd pick the fairest one (similar to you splitting a cake in two, and me picking one of the halves: You'd like to split them as fair as possible.)

And keep in mind the words other people are in, you'd not want one of them to gain some advantage!
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

As to the observation of the different games, I think that side-effect of the superposition was specific to you due to the unique position you ended/didn't end the game in. I wouldn't surprised if Reecer experienced something similar, because he too was involved in the creation of the uncertainty, but for the rest of us there was nothing in this thread that we couldn't observe (at least, I'd assume so, though I guess there's no way for me to know :shock: )

Okay, here are the choices:

Sterile

Naturalization

Luncheon

Eighty-three
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:(at least, I'd assume so, though I guess there's no way for me to know :shock: )

Indeed. From my recollection it seems you observed a reality where I won while I observed one where you won :o

Anyway, as a lover of math, and because it's the easiest one to analyze as the fairest (Naturalization and Luncheon would take me days to figure out all possible lines and variations, while Sterile is a bit uninspired), I'll pick:

Eighty-three (underlined to avoid any kind of misunderstanding!)

As out target word.

As for my first move, I'll go from Lost to 83, with a long way yo go to the target, alphabetically, but I still think it will be convenient to approach it this way.
Cheers Marsh'n!

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

OK, then I'll slide to slid.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 am UTC

I spend five hundred and ninety-five million tokens and convert their mass into energy. This obliterates the gaol, setting me free (Since I was already dead but I have yet to choose an undead form, this does not affect me!)

I keep playing as Something else and I choose to be one of the wraiths from Good News, Bad News (or do they count as ghosts?)

This of course limits my choice of words (for example I can't play ephemeral or glorious words, but brings certain phasing and obfuscatorianalisticanismic bonuses.

Gumption

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:I keep playing as Something else and I choose to be one of the wraiths from Good News, Bad News (or do they count as ghosts?)

No idea! It's the first time I see someone playing as Something else, and the rulebooks don't mention anything about wraiths, so I guess you get a Free Pass! Rats, I should have never killed you...

Anyway, I divide 83/0 getting to Undefined!
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 am UTC

I invoke the extreme consequences rule to turn Vytron's Undefined into a Black Hole

I then play White Hole, creating a link between our posts: anything that falls in Vytron's Black Hole will come out of my White Hole.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:21 am UTC

WAIT, WHAT? GAAAAAAAAAA
Cheers Marsh'n!

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Ha, Vytron fell into his own black hole an was ejected into my next play! Therefore my word is Vytron!
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Two can play this game!

thecamoninja

:twisted:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Man, White Holes are trippy!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 am UTC

I assume that wraiths get a bonus for Chthonic.

I play Chthonic on a hinge coin, creating a Portal to the Unerworld. I throw it into the black hole.

Return to “Forum Games”