[US] Washington xkDC

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

[US] Washington xkDC

Postby Qaanol » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

I just moved to Washington, DC, a couple months ago, and I’d like to meet the other xkcders in the area. If you are around the MD/DC/VA region and want to attend and/or know of a good location, please let me know.

I’m pretty sure there are at least a few of us in the vicinity, and I’d like to have this meetup in the next few weeks, perhaps late March or early April.

Can you make it?
wee free kings

Snark

Re: xkDC 2013: Washington DC meetup

Postby Snark » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

I'm at this board game shop fairly often if anyone is interested in meeting there. Thursday nights mostly though there are other events I attend.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

All right, I live up in Fort Totten myself. I think there are a few other xkcd forumites in the area, no?
wee free kings

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I'm not there, but I want to visit DC, I've never been. Maybe when I finally do people will want to hang out. I think I missed the cherry blossoms *again* (cause I can't get down there within the next week and a half). I keep meaning to go down for it.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC

I live about halfway between DC and Baltimore. That said, my life has a way of getting fairly busy. I'm certainly pro-meetup if possible, though.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

I'm in D.C. - and cherry blossoms are great right now because of the hot weather the last few days.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

siiiigh maybe next weekend the 20ths. Maybe I can get down there then...
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Next weekend works for me. Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st. How about everyone else? Ideas for places/activities?
wee free kings

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Having not heard from anyone, last weekend clearly didn’t come together.

So…let’s aim for sometime in May?

Send me a PM with your phone number if you’re interested, and we can hash out details.
wee free kings

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Did anything ever happen with this? If not, let's make it happen. The weather's been so awesome lately, we should do something outside.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

For sure. Let me know if you've got something planned, and I'll try to squeeze it in.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Nothing has come together yet, but I am still game for a meet-up. I’m going out of town for the first two weeks of August, but if we do something in July I’ll be here.

What sort of outdoors thing do you have in mind? There does not seem to be much hiking here, but there is the National Mall with lots of events. I think there is at least one series of free outdoor concerts going on.

I have a feeling that, being as this is DC, and we being from the xkcd forums, there is a rather high likelihood that anything we decided to do would end up involving a not-insignificant amount of political discussion, so that is something to consider.
wee free kings

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Alright, let's try kicking this thing off.

I propose, Sunday, 7pm, Nov 3rd @ the B-dubs in college park(10240 Baltimore Avenue College Park, MD).

I'm thinking that should be sufficiently late in the day/enough notice to not interfere with most schedules, conveniently close to DC for our several members there, and being on the beltway, fairly easily accessible to those not in DC as well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Alright, let's try kicking this thing off.

I propose, Sunday, 7pm, Nov 3rd @ the B-dubs in college park(10240 Baltimore Avenue College Park, MD).

I'm thinking that should be sufficiently late in the day/enough notice to not interfere with most schedules, conveniently close to DC for our several members there, and being on the beltway, fairly easily accessible to those not in DC as well. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Works for me.
wee free kings

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Meetup's today, for anyone considering going. I'll try to pop in a bit early to grab a table, and I'll bring with a small XKCD related sign for easier finding the table. Cya all there!

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Crap crap crap I am the worst.

I was coming back from a trip, planning to go to the meetup on my way through, but I was about a half hour behind schedule. Then when I got south of Baltimore I opened my phone to check how to get to the BWW, and just as I searched, the phone died.

Okay, no problem, I was prepared, I had my backup battery pack with me, so I plugged it in and…nothing. The battery pack lit up as full, but the phone didn’t react. I waited a bit and tried powering on the phone. It lit up and booted, slowly. Then just as it got to the lock screen, it immediately powered down again. Great.

So I kept on 295, took an exit that said “Greenbelt”, and cruised around trying to find the metro. No dice. I went by a little mall that had no BWW, and after a while I stopped and asked directions at a gas station. The people there didn’t know, but one of them looked it up on his phone, which was very slow. Eventually it came to light that I was on the far side of Greenbelt from where I needed to be, about 20 minutes away, and it was already 8pm. So I just came home, and now I’m posting about it.

I hope others were able to make it and meet up.
wee free kings

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Oh, no biggie, I've been there before. Once things start going wrong, they tend to cascade. At any rate, I still got a fine meal, and it was a bit noisy anyway...apparently it was some kind of football night. I suppose that's a downside of not knowing sports...don't know when to avoid them.

Another meetup attempt in the future is always a possibility, of course.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”