[US] Los Angeles area

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

[US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

hello everybody!

any angeles locals around here?
Image

User avatar
Entropy
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles area meetup

Postby Entropy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 am UTC

I am in Irvine.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles area meetup

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

well alrighty, we have our very first contestant!

i do alot of work in irvine actually, a few of our clients are out there. heck of a drive.

any other takers?
Image

iarehaik
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles area meetup

Postby iarehaik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Let's do this. I'm in.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles area meetup

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

we might not be the biggest meetup, but we can certainly get down.

im actually a little surprised, LA is a large, densely populated area, i was expecting more people.
Image

ricketybridge
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles area meetup

Postby ricketybridge » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 am UTC

I'm in LA! :3

EAR47
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby EAR47 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

I'm in LA too. If you haven't done it yet then I'm in.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

has not happened actually, due to busy schedules and low headcount.

i guess we could do it sometime in the coming year eh?
Image

ricketybridge
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby ricketybridge » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

Yes, that would be most good. Most good indeed.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

huzzah!
Image

User avatar
Negrebskoh
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Negrebskoh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

I may, ah, try to move the US - and one of the big cities in CA in particular - after I finish my degree in the Netherlands.

So, uhm, hang around for a few years, and I just might come to your next meetup. :D

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

would be glad to have ya.

though the meetup keeps getting pushed off cuz, uh, theres like three of us here.
Image

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Moving to the area in a couple of months, most likely. Although I still have to find some way to exist out there; lived in the Midwest all my life, and I'm a little worried about culture (not to mention sticker) shock.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:42 pm UTC

the culture here is not terrible. being america - america move, it won't be a huge shock.

there are some thigns to worry about, of course. areas to stay out of because of crimes/racial discrimination, the terrible freeway system, and terrible public transport. but the good outweighs the bad i think. sometimes you will travel through and find an area you have never seen before, and it will be marvelous. like the first time i saw venice beach. amazing!


edit: I know we do not have many members here, but whos up for a teensy gathering to welcome wibbly wobbly to the neighborhood?
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 am UTC

I'd go.
But; That may be the Kiss of Death upon your gathering.

I hope it goes well.

WibblyWobbly?
Spoiler:
Why would a person move to LA?
With the whole world to choose from, why choose there?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby WibblyWobbly » Mon May 05, 2014 1:09 am UTC

addams wrote:I'd go.
But; That may be the Kiss of Death upon your gathering.

I hope it goes well.

WibblyWobbly?
Spoiler:
Why would a person move to LA?
With the whole world to choose from, why choose there?


Well, it was to be for a job, but it looks like I won't be taking that job after all. Instead, moving across the state, not the nation. I really would have liked the LA job, too; the group I was going to work with is doing some fascinating research on some really huge problems. But the logistics would not agree.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
addams wrote:I'd go.
But; That may be the Kiss of Death upon your gathering.

I hope it goes well.

WibblyWobbly?
Spoiler:
Why would a person move to LA?
With the whole world to choose from, why choose there?


Well, it was to be for a job, but it looks like I won't be taking that job after all. Instead, moving across the state, not the nation. I really would have liked the LA job, too; the group I was going to work with is doing some fascinating research on some really huge problems. But the logistics would not agree.

oh. I am sorry.

Hey! You got a job in your field!
See? 20 years of school pays off.
(that's meant to be funny.)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 pm UTC

addams wrote:I'd go.
[/spoiler]

Hooray!

I am not sure if it is a "gathering" so much as a feeble attempt to get the 3-4 people in this area together.
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Tue May 06, 2014 5:47 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
addams wrote:I'd go.
[/spoiler]

Hooray!

I am not sure if it is a "gathering" so much as a feeble attempt to get the 3-4 people in this area together.

Does that area include Big Sur?
How about Cambria?

South? How far?
Santa Barbara?

South? Even More?
Where is the Getty?
http://www.getty.edu

Have you ever been to it?
I'd like to go.

Even if I don't go,
You people can.

Those big art galleries prevent awkward silences.
No. Maybe they produce awkward silences.

When in a gallery we can blame the art.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue May 06, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
addams wrote:I'd go.
[/spoiler]

Hooray!

I am not sure if it is a "gathering" so much as a feeble attempt to get the 3-4 people in this area together.

Does that area include Big Sur?
How about Cambria?

South? How far?
Santa Barbara?

South? Even More?
Where is the Getty?
http://www.getty.edu

Have you ever been to it?
I'd like to go.

Even if I don't go,
You people can.

Those big art galleries prevent awkward silences.
No. Maybe they produce awkward silences.

When in a gallery we can blame the art.

I have been, but not in a long time.

That could be a potentially wonderful idea.
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
addams wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
addams wrote:I'd go.
[/spoiler]

Hooray!

I am not sure if it is a "gathering" so much as a feeble attempt to get the 3-4 people in this area together.

Does that area include Big Sur?
How about Cambria?

South? How far?
Santa Barbara?

South? Even More?
Where is the Getty?
http://www.getty.edu

Have you ever been to it?
I'd like to go.

Even if I don't go,
You people can.

Those big art galleries prevent awkward silences.
No. Maybe they produce awkward silences.

When in a gallery we can blame the art.

I have been, but not in a long time.

That could be a potentially wonderful idea.

Yes. Maybe.
The worse thing that can happen is someone sees the Getty all by themselves.

I am tired of taking art seriously.
It would be fun to quietly heckle the art.

It's stupid to stand in the back mumbling insults at a piece of art work.
Discretely sharing ideas and impressions with companions is different.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri May 09, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

addams wrote:Yes. Maybe.
The worse thing that can happen is someone sees the Getty all by themselves.

I am tired of taking art seriously.
It would be fun to quietly heckle the art.

It's stupid to stand in the back mumbling insults at a piece of art work.
Discretely sharing ideas and impressions with companions is different.

Yes! this is fun.
Image

jawnathin
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 am UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby jawnathin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:29 am UTC

Just discovered this exists (thanks Reddit!).

I'm down to join up!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 am UTC

jawnathin wrote:Just discovered this exists (thanks Reddit!).

I'm down to join up!

Tom dropped out.
That leaves you and I. (and, George)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beV8zhbIr4U
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Tom is back in!
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:09 am UTC

What the Hell?
You were Gone like the Wind.

All security and looking into the future.
Now, Here you are. Hi!

LA Area?
You guys want to go for a drive?

I'm a bit Up the Coast.
To be fair, It is prettier Here, than it is There.

How's your Truck, Tom?
I know a Truck is serious.

But; Other people's car problems are funny, if no one gets hurt.
I know what it is like in the Driver's Seat.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:36 am UTC

Wait, I live in LA now!
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5508
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Thesh » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 am UTC

If anyone wants to go hiking sometime when it's a bit cooler, I'm up for it.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby addams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 am UTC

Yes.
When it is cooler.

If I can anchor things down.
If; Only if...
If, I can.

Then; When the West Winds Blow,
I would blow into LA.

When the West Winds stop,
I will go where they came from.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:If anyone wants to go hiking sometime when it's a bit cooler, I'm up for it.

hiking is objectively wonderful.

my favorite trails on a weekend (when im not going on an all out backpack trip) are usually in PV. gonna try some over near the whittier area probably soon (my GF lives around there so its perfect)
Image

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: [US] Los Angeles area

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:41 am UTC

i forgot to check in here. i'm here right now. i leave the 31st. wanna meet up? TGB? addams? also, wanna come to my burfday party on friday?
ImageImageImageImageImage


Return to “XKCD Meetups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests