[US] 2017 Solar Eclipse, Aug 21st, Western Kentucky

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

[US] 2017 Solar Eclipse, Aug 21st, Western Kentucky

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:30 am UTC

A website for what I'm talking about.

Any of you people going? Because I'll be in one of the towns that should have a good view, given that it's 20ish minutes NW of the prime viewing spot. Which is someone's farm.

Also, if you're just now hearing about this and want to go.... Good luck? I hear most of the motels in the area are booked.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

steonic

Re: [US] 2017 Solar Eclipse, Aug 21st, Western Kentucky

Postby steonic » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

I will be going, since I grew up in the area. I will probably stay with some friends or camp out somewhere nearby.

It's not really necessary to be in the exact best spot. Totality lasts within 2 seconds of Greatest Duration over a span of ~700 miles or ~1100 km if you are on the direct path of the shadow.
Nasa has a google map where you can check this out.

mathmannix

Re: [US] 2017 Solar Eclipse, Aug 21st, Western Kentucky

Postby mathmannix » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

Yeah, while the Point of Greatest Eclipse is in western Kentucky, the total eclipse is in a band that goes through 12 states from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic. Including such large cities as Salem OR, Lincoln NE, Kansas City MO, Nashville TN, and Charleston SC. I doubt all their hotels will be filled up, but even if they are, it's a short drive from the other large cities of Portland OR, Boise ID, Omaha NE, St Louis MO, Knoxville and Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA, and Charlotte NC. I'll probably try to stay in a hotel (or maybe with relatives) two hours or so away from the total eclipse. Even on the outside of the total band (over 50 miles wide), the total eclipse lasts a minute or so.

Oh, and the maximum total eclipse is in Carbondale, Illinois - which just so happens to also be on the center path of the longer April 2024 total eclipse!

Here's a map:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”