New York area meetup??

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

clintonius

Re: New York area meetup??

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Update: I may or may not actually be able to attend. I have a... thing. Maybe.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Hmm. I'm biased towards the beaches on LI, but that's just because they're easiest for me to get to. I'm fine with heading somewhere else, though, as long as it's semi-accessible by train/bus/walking.
Although it's going to be 4th of July weekend and the beaches will probably be packed.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Do we want to push our beach extravaganza to sometime that's less packed? Like the weekend of the 11th, mayhaps?

Also, LI sounds cool -- I've never been to a beach up there, and I want to see what the hell all the buzz is about.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

I'd be fine with pushing it, I'll probably end up beaching it no matter what this weekend, so it's just a question of where I go and with who.
Jones is close enough for me to bike there (~11 miles there, so about an hour's ride, less if I can convince someone to drop me off @ the start of the bike trail), and it's accessible by LIRR + bus. Long Beach is closer to Penn, but the tickets seem to be more expensive, but that's because the $10 admission fee is included in the purchase price. Looks pretty, but I've never been.
Jones is easier for me to get to and I haven't been in ages. We usually head to the town beaches, since town residents get in free, but they're not accessibly by train or bus, and I don't have access to a car w/ a pass on the weekends.
If someone has a car, though, that opens up a bunch of places not otherwise accessible. And obviously, Jones & Long Beach are still options; I think it's $10 to park @ Jones for the day, but individual admission at Long Beach is still $10/person, I don't know about parking.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I vote that this be the next meetup.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

As promised: Bruno, on Saturday 11th (2007/07/11):

102 North End Ave., New York, NY 10281

Sometime in the evening?
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Any possibility of moving it up to Friday?
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Friday or Saturday works for me.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Not doing anything (or anyone) this weekend, Friday totally works.

Perhaps we should obtain tickets beforehand?

Awesomely.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 am UTC

Count me out on this one... trying to conserve money, plus I don't especially want to see it. This month's movie ticket will be Harry Potter.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Apparently it will be pretty unfunny. But with a couple of beers in me, who knows?

Awesomely.

iniju

Postby iniju » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Greetings, I'm new here.
I'd like to join for the movie if this is still happening. What time?

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

Doodle77 wrote:I vote that this be the next meetup.

That looks awesome. I'm totally convincing my friends to do that with me if you guys don't want to meet up for it.

I want to see that movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 500 Days of Summer?
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Ichsm going to si Bruno ab 20,00 ahren tonicht.

* Time: 8:00pm
* Date: Friday, July 10, 2009
* Regal Battery Park Stadium 11

102 North End Ave.
New York, NY 10281
212-945-4370

Meet in front of the theater?

Awesomely.

iniju

Postby iniju » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Ja, see you there, I'll be carrying a copy of this book

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Es tut mir leid, aber ich kann nicht du Bruno gegangen... and that's about it for the Deutsch I remember.
Just got back from family stuff with my mom, and there's no way for me to get to Battery Park by 8 at this point. Enjoy though!
And I am still very up for doing something involving a beach. And wine and cheese. Or just beer and sandwiches.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm up for picnics! I haven't been to one in a very long time.

apricity

Postby apricity » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

I'll be around for the next 2 weekends, so if there is a beach picnic then I am in! I'm partial to Brighton Beach, but only because it's 15 minutes away from my apartment and only costs one ride on the Q train :mrgreen: But the Long Island beaches are gorgeous so I would be okay with making the trek there instead.

(she/her/hers)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

I'd be fine with Brighton, although like I said, Jones or Moses would be easiest for me to get to. Although if someone has a car, the whole equation changes.
And I'm also around for the next two weekends, so we should totally make this happen.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Well, my vote for beach time is next weekend, since I'll be in NYC then. But, don't let me stop you if this weekend is the one you pick!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

So, early planning post - I am researching a trip to NYC during my Thanksgiving break, which would be Nov. 21-29. My boyfriend and I (he is also an xkcd fan) might not be able to stay the whole week, we are not exactly made of money, but I'm thinking five days minimum sometime during that time period. We'll probably want to hit all the museums, Central Park, and also eat pizza in Brooklyn. I'm also thinking about risking life and limb for the Macy's parade, that would be cool. Anybody want to make this into a meetup? (We will be going whether or not we meet anyone).

The main issue we have right now is parking, unless we go by bus. But if we drive, we'll need to park somewhere for 5-7 days as we plan to travel via Metro for the duration of our stay.

Ideas, suggestions, interest?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

I'd definitely recommend going down by bus, especially if you plan to use the subway the entire time you're going to be there. Especially if you're booking the ticket this far in advance, bus fare for two will probably be much cheaper than parking, unless you happen to find someone with reliable on-street parking in the city/surrounding area. And then you wouldn't have to worry about leaving the car unattended for five days. Of course, if you happen to know someone who say, lives in Queens/Jersey/the Bronx who has a yard/place to park and is close to a subway or bus stop, then all you'd have to worry about was the tolls on the way down. Where are y'all coming from?
I'm currently living with my parents on Long Island, waiting to hear from the Peace Corps, so I don't know if I'll be in NY/the country come November. So I can't offer a place to stay, unless the Corps doesn't work out and I end up with a job/apartment in NYC. In that case, depending on roommate situation, etc, I'd definitely be down for letting you crash on the couch.
Otherwise, if I am in NY, I'd definitely be down for meeting up. And going to museums. Feel free to get me on AIM/gChat/PM or whatever if you have questions, my AIM & gChat are always up. I grew up on LI, my parents are from Brooklyn and I spent a lot of weekends with my Gram in NYC as a kid. And we spent a lot of time in museums.

Also: how does everyone feel about making tentative plans for hitting a beach (any beach?) for next weekend? I'm planning to be in NYC for a concert on the 24th, so I could crash on my Gram's couch and be ready to go early Saturday if we decide to hit Brighton. Or stay two nights and do it Sunday... I'm trying to consolidate my trips into Manhattan, the LIRR prices just went up and now it's $18 RT/off peak. Adds up fast. :?
Also, I don't know how much people like Chinese food, but there is a dumpling house on Eldridge off Canal that serves incredible food at absolutely ridiculous prices. Three people can eat — plus (non-alcoholic) drinks — for <$20 and be full. And have leftovers. So we should totally try to make that an eventual meetup.

apricity

Postby apricity » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:So, early planning post - I am researching a trip to NYC during my Thanksgiving break, which would be Nov. 21-29. My boyfriend and I (he is also an xkcd fan) might not be able to stay the whole week, we are not exactly made of money, but I'm thinking five days minimum sometime during that time period. We'll probably want to hit all the museums, Central Park, and also eat pizza in Brooklyn. I'm also thinking about risking life and limb for the Macy's parade, that would be cool. Anybody want to make this into a meetup? (We will be going whether or not we meet anyone).

The main issue we have right now is parking, unless we go by bus. But if we drive, we'll need to park somewhere for 5-7 days as we plan to travel via Metro for the duration of our stay.

Ideas, suggestions, interest?
Rule #1: Never call the NYC subway the Metro :) It's the subway, or the train.

I agree with semicharmed that the bus would be much easier and cheaper. I can probably offer you a place to stay for part of the time you're here, but I can't make any kind of commitment yet as I don't have a job or a real schedule right now. But if something changes I would still like to have a meetup, as I should be around for at least part of that time! I always go home to RI for Thanksgiving but not for the whole week.
semicharmed wrote:Also: how does everyone feel about making tentative plans for hitting a beach (any beach?) for next weekend? I'm planning to be in NYC for a concert on the 24th, so I could crash on my Gram's couch and be ready to go early Saturday if we decide to hit Brighton. Or stay two nights and do it Sunday... I'm trying to consolidate my trips into Manhattan, the LIRR prices just went up and now it's $18 RT/off peak. Adds up fast. :?
Also, I don't know how much people like Chinese food, but there is a dumpling house on Eldridge off Canal that serves incredible food at absolutely ridiculous prices. Three people can eat — plus (non-alcoholic) drinks — for <$20 and be full. And have leftovers. So we should totally try to make that an eventual meetup.
Beach next weekend sounds good! I believe Clinton told me he and Lazarus are moving on Saturday, so Sunday is probably the best bet. Hendu's bus leaves Sunday evening around 7, so we'd have to leave Long Island by about 4, or Brighton by 5. Would everyone be okay tentatively planning for Brighton on Sunday, pending what the weather does?

Also I love Chinese food so YES to that, eventually.

(she/her/hers)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

I'm in for next Sunday @ Brighton, assuming the weather is nice. Although the way this summer is going, nice means any weather that's not outright rain.

And while I'm staying with my Gram — who offered to pay for a Metrocard+LIRR fare — I'm most likely going to head to the dumpling house, probably the evening of the concert. Which, if anyone is even remotely into ska music, promises to be a ridiculously good time. It's @ the Knitting Factory, tickets are $17, there's going to be an insane number of bands there, and they're going to play until the place shuts down. Usually around 3 a.m.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

YES to beach-going on Sunday! My bus back to Boston boards at 6:30 pm (leaves at 7), so I'll probably want to leave the beach around 3 or 4, to give me time to shower/change/get food/get to the bus. So, I'm thinking get to the beach around 11?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

I will not be attending this Sunday. I'm going to be in the city on Saturday already, and I don't feel like making the trip two times in two days (yes I know, so lazy of me :P). But have fun, guys! :) Although it's going to rain all week, so I don't know how good the weather will be...

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

If it's going to rain all week, I think it makes sense to clear up and be nice for the weekend.

I know, I know, NEW YORK WEATHER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!</morbo>

Boo, no une! Some day I will hang out with you again...

iniju

Postby iniju » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Yes for Sunday at the beach.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with NY, is that Brighton Beach in Brooklyn we are talking about?

apricity

Postby apricity » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Yes! It's the fourth to last stop on the Q train, or the last stop on the B train.

(she/her/hers)

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:Boo, no une! Some day I will hang out with you again...

Some day soon, hopefully! Save me a Cadbury egg. :)

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

Holy crap, I have SO MOTHEREFFIN MANY of those left. I have not been keeping up with eating them, and it's looking like I'll still have some left when we get back to Easter.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

I'm definitely in. I'm actually heading into Brooklyn today to spend some time with my Gram, and I have no guarantee of internet there. But unless I hear otherwise, I'll be at Brighton on Sunday, probably around elevenish. Depends on what time I get up on Sunday, really.
Also, I won't be there if it's raining.

apricity

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Heh, yeah, I don't think any of us would want to be there in the rain. Right now the forecast says scattered thundershowers, which means probably nothing. But I'll keep you posted! Eleven sounds good to me.

(she/her/hers)

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

FUCK YOU, AND YOUR BEACHES, AND YOUR HAPPINESS.

I'm taking a nap.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

apricity

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

But... you're invited too...

(she/her/hers)

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

And... you could nap on the beach...

I promise I won't write anything on you in sunblock if you do

apricity

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Mental note: revoke hendu's sunscreen privileges.

(she/her/hers)

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Lani, Hendu... you guys are gross.

And kind of cute. See you on Sunday!

Awesomely.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

I'm still in, and I just stopped at the Saturday farmer's market up the block from my Gram's. Picked up peaches & nectarines because I love both of those fruits, and because they travel well. Or better than raspberries would.
Also — and this is evidence of how fancy Brooklyn Heights has gotten — the Key Food has a surprisingly large selection of beer. And there's a wine shop up the block. And a fancy cheese shop.
Any requests for what to bring, or should I just pick up something that strikes my fancy?

iniju

Postby iniju » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

The weather looks rather gloomy, with predictions of rain. I don't think I'm going to the beach :(

Return to “XKCD Meetups”