The Northwest AMERICANADA Meetup

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Re: The Northwest AMERICANADA Meetup

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:Just saying I live in the good zone, and Seatle sounds good for meetups.
Summer 2009?

I'm planning on doing a west-coast trip in Summer '09, so Vancouver/Seattle/Portland would all be pretty good locations for me.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

millinao

Postby millinao » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

By Seattle you mean Portland, right?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Summer is a really long time from now. But I guess that's the earliest anyone wants to meet...? Ah well.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I'd still be up for meeting up with someone in Calgary for a pint, if there's anyone that wants to. As far as mass-meetups go, I won't be able to attend an out-of-Calgary meet until the summer.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Except for some of December, I'm in Portland until mid-June.

0x783czar

Postby 0x783czar » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

I'm up for one. Seattle works great for me but then... I can head up to Vancouver BC too. So.. does anyone have an idea when we'll be doing this exactly?

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:42 am UTC

A 2011 meet in Vancouver? I'd be game to try to make it.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:2011 Bump!

You missed the 2010 meetup in Seattle this past June :P

I'd be up for another Seattle meetup in 2011! :D (in fact, those of us who initiated all that planing have already been discussing making it an annual huge meetup)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:36 am UTC

I was unemployed and nearly homeless. 2010 was not my year.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Ah. Well maybe 2011 will be?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Fine! Be that way!

I didn't wanna meet any of you people anyways...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:53 am UTC

Oi hey, I'm all up ins a 2011 thingamabish, as long as it doesn't collide with my early-August jamfest time. No funds left for 2010 but if I work hard and save my waterfowl, I should be able to swing something somewhere for a couple of days.

Spoiler:
quack.jpg
quack.jpg (28.48 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

Hey, so I'm thinking of turning up in this very Americanada* region between 8 December 2010 and 24 January 2011. If possible, can there be a (potentially smaller) meetup during this time? My knowledge and planning on the area is very limited, so I'd also like to steal this thread to have someone teach me the following:
  • How much money would I need to have in order to survive this time? I actually don't have too much.
  • Is there any chance of people putting me up a couple of nights? kellsbells has already offered for a while, but she has a flatmate that I don't want to have all feasting up on my corpse, after she kills me for spending too much time there.
  • What totally awesome stuff should I be doing?

Quick responses would be pretty wicked as I'm (theoretically) going to book very soon.

*Er, flying into Vancouver, then south to Seattle, then potentially further south.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:How much money would I need to have in order to survive this time? I actually don't have too much.

How much is that? Hostel accommodation is around $35 a night, which usually includes a bagel or something for breakfast, and they tend of offer affordable dinner ($4-$6). Liquor store liquor is cheap, so if you find a hostel that allows its consumption in the common room you can generally have a good time meeting strange new people (far too many of them will be Australian, however) and doing free or cheap activities (which will be listed on the hostel message boards) for around $50 a day. That doesn't, of course, include catching buses or trains from city to city, and going out drinking will be as expensive as going out here (find college hangouts on the right nights for cheap beer but remember you'll be blowing more on gratuities). You could easily end up spending much more than that, but that's from my experiences travelling a couple of years ago, so hope that is helpful to you.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:How much money would I need to have in order to survive this time? I actually don't have too much.

How much is that?
Current financial projections indicate that I will have about $3200 to spend while I'm over there, after I've bought all my necessary travel stuff, insurance, clothes, etc. If I'm using your estimate of $50 a day, given I'm over for 48 days, that's $2400. Which means I have $800 to blow on doing crazy things. Not to mention I can lessen my expenditure on accommodation via kellsbells' couch. Looks like I may actually be able to afford it?

I doubt I'll drink overly much - I'm under 21 and the novelty's worn off from Australia.

Thanks!

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

Yeah, that should work then. But $50 is very much a lower bound, I guess, and some expenses will surprise you, considering the way tax isn't always figured into the advertised price. You could definitely pull it off with that budget with the way the exchange rates are looking. But in hostels you will have to put up with shit like people fucking in a six-bedroom dorm and crappy showers etc. etc.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

I will be in vancouver around Dec 13th, but it will also be my wife's 31st birthday, and I think if I bail on her to go to a meetup I will have to extract a very large garden gnome from myself. However, January might be a possibility! I will try to earn some "time off for good behaviour" credits before then.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Things to do:
- Go to Skyhigh
- See the ocean
- Whalewatch
- Go to the Vancouver aquarium and if you can do the overnight sleep next to the beluga whales - it is amazing, last time I went I played tag with them. (Seriously, especially this one, I think her name was Sally or something silly common like that, I could chase her all the way down the wall of viewing windows, she'd turn around and chase me back the other way...it was fun!)
- Mutliple Cupcake Royale visits
- Try to get out towards the mountains if you can
- Hike up mt raineer
- See Mt St Helens
- Try and get out to the rainforest - it's not tropical obviously, but it's still very pretty

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

Sungura, I'm guessing you went to Mt St Helens in the summer? It isn't nearly as awesome in the wintertime. The observatory at Johnston Ridge* is only open in the summer, and the roads are often blocked by snow anyhow. That and it's often really foggy. While I agree that it is awesome and well worth going to, it's pretty much a waste in January.

(Also, if you are there in the summer, go to Ape Caves as well)

*This is a visitor center and accompanying set of hiking trails about 5 mi from the mountain, looking straight into the crater. You have not "done Mt St Helens" unless you go here.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Sungura, I'm guessing you went to Mt St Helens in the summer? It isn't nearly as awesome in the wintertime. The observatory at Johnston Ridge* is only open in the summer, and the roads are often blocked by snow anyhow. That and it's often really foggy. While I agree that it is awesome and well worth going to, it's pretty much a waste in January.

(Also, if you are there in the summer, go to Ape Caves as well)

*This is a visitor center and accompanying set of hiking trails about 5 mi from the mountain, looking straight into the crater. You have not "done Mt St Helens" unless you go here.
Oh, yeah. Like, when I was nine years old. I don't remember much other than it was awesome. When we went again when I was...14? it was a cloudy day and not that awesome.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Never fear, I'll be tour-guiding MaJ's activities while he's in the Seattle area. Multiple visits to Cupcake Royale, Sky High, and the rest of Seattle's wonders are assured. I'm mostly just worried about where he'll stay if I'm otherwise obligated or my roommate gets too irritated at me having a foreign dude crashing for weeks.
Sungura wrote:- Hike up mt raineer
We are not nearly badass enough to attempt this. People use Rainier as practice for Everest. And it's December.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:I'm mostly just worried about where he'll stay if I'm otherwise obligated or my roommate gets too irritated at me having a foreign dude crashing for weeks.

My friend Luke once had a housemate who announced, about a week before the arrival, that her Danish friend would be staying with them for a while. Then, a week later, she moved out and kinda dropped off everyone's radar (mental health problems, I think. I never really found out because she never confided in me), so there was this Danish guy no one knew living with them. But he was a really awesome guy and it worked out really well.

So, maj, be an awesome foreigner and everything will work out well. Generally you're not going to annoy housemates if you a) clean up your dishes, & b) regularly restock the toilet paper. I've found this combination generally endears you to the people you're imposing on.
this isn't my cow

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:02 am UTC

I wish Alaska wasn't so far north. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:
We are not nearly badass enough to attempt this. People use Rainier as practice for Everest. And it's December.

They use it for that because it's high and snowy, not because it's hard. If the weather holds and nothing goes wrong, it's a pretty straightforward snow hike -- one with several thousand feet of elevation gain, but still just a snow hike.

It being December, the weather won't hold and things will go wrong.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Never fear, I'll be tour-guiding MaJ's activities while he's in the Seattle area. Multiple visits to Cupcake Royale, Sky High, and the rest of Seattle's wonders are assured. I'm mostly just worried about where he'll stay if I'm otherwise obligated or my roommate gets too irritated at me having a foreign dude crashing for weeks.
I have totally badass hiking skills! I just don't have totally badass anti-cold skills, so Mt Rainier may be a problem. I very very much want to be doing the beluga thing. And Cupcake Royale, of course.

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
kellsbells wrote:I'm mostly just worried about where he'll stay if I'm otherwise obligated or my roommate gets too irritated at me having a foreign dude crashing for weeks.
So, maj, be an awesome foreigner and everything will work out well. Generally you're not going to annoy housemates if you a) clean up your dishes, & b) regularly restock the toilet paper. I've found this combination generally endears you to the people you're imposing on.
It's okay, I'm the cleanest imposer!

I... tend to impose on one of two randomly-selected friends in a uni village every Monday. I've not yet been yelled at.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Yeah you have to do the beluga thing. http://www.vanaqua.org/visit_us/sleepovers.html
You have to email them for information. I think when we last did it...oh....8 years ago, it was like $250/person. BUT SO WORTH IT. You get there the day before can see the aquarium (it's huge, lots to see) and then you get to pick what you want to learn more about and go behind the scenes (I picked the whales, of course, but you can pick from a few exhibits) and then there is usually some sort of craft thing (I made a pillowcase it was most cool) and then it's time to sleep like around midnight, but I think I was up until 2am playing tag haha. That is, if they run it the same way. And then you have until like noon the next day before you have to leave the park. It's very awesome. If you don't do that, you totally want to do this: http://www.visitvanaqua.org/animal-enco ... -encounter it's most fun. The dolphin encounter is more fun than the beluga encounter, the belugas are kinda lazy haha the dolphins are more chattery and playful. Sadly though, I don't think they have their orcas anymore. I remember those from when I was nine and we went. Fina and Bijosa were their names. I think they moved them to one of the sea worlds though because they didn't have enough tank space for them if I remember right. Why on earth can I remember animal names from...uh...15 years ago and I can't remember people's names I met yesterday? ha. OH and say hi to Whitewings (one of their pacific whitesided dolphins) if you see him. He was the most fun, I think he liked me ^.^

(I've always been a dolphin and whale fan...when I was little I only wanted to be a dolphin trainer. I'd still love to do that, actually.)

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

Sky high was fun, but I almost broke my leg landing sideways. It hurt for a week. :/

Anyhoo, The beach was fun. I suggest (for Seattle) gasworks park with some sort of selection of outdoor games, such as tag, duck duck goose, and perhaps a boombox.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am UTC

hack124x768 wrote:Sky high was fun, but I almost broke my leg landing sideways. It hurt for a week. :/

Anyhoo, The beach was fun. I suggest (for Seattle) gasworks park with some sort of selection of outdoor games, such as tag, duck duck goose, and perhaps a boombox.

And hillrolling.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Sooooo..... I suggest some Sunday for another meetup.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 am UTC

So that post a bit back about MaJ comin' all up to the Americas in December? Totally happening. MARK YOUR CALENDARS, PEOPLE. We have to make whatever meetup we throw together look almost as cool as an Australian one. And we'll even have an Australian, so it'll be international and stuff. Winter meetup suggestions, go!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:So that post a bit back about MaJ comin' all up to the Americas in December? Totally happening. MARK YOUR CALENDARS, PEOPLE. We have to make whatever meetup we throw together look almost as cool as an Australian one. And we'll even have an Australian, so it'll be international and stuff. Winter meetup suggestions, go!

I shall reiterate how pissed I am that Alaska is so fucking far north.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 am UTC

I suggest we sit inside while complaining about too much rain and how the sun sets at 5 pm. It's all I've been doing lately, and I can vouch for its entertainment value.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Man, that's all I've been doing too. And now we can even complain about the high winds and possibility of snow on the horizon. Just add coffee (or, as your Location suggests, PBR) and it sounds like an Event Worth Attending. Or what passes for one in Seattle.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:Man, that's all I've been doing too. And now we can even complain about the high winds and possibility of snow on the horizon. Just add coffee (or, as your Location suggests, PBR) and it sounds like an Event Worth Attending. Or what passes for one in Seattle.
I have encountered snow but one time. This is adventure-y enough for me!

Also if this isn't as cool as a Sydney meetup I will be totally disappointed and stuff. You know how it is.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”