middle of nowhere - aka kansas, round the KCMO side

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

middle of nowhere - aka kansas, round the KCMO side

Postby parkaboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

i cant be the only one? well, actually, i could be the only one. i keep an odd schedule but will have free time til the spring semester starts sooOOooo if theres anybody out there that wants to plan something i suppose this is the thread.

*gets back to assembling tumbleweeds*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

UmbralRaptor

Re: middle of nowhere - aka kansas, round the KCMO side

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:19 am UTC

You might be -- I'm on the KCK side. Eh, close enough...
Why do you assume that I exist?

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:34 am UTC

I'm down I-35 a bit, but family is all in the KC area.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:03 am UTC

i actually live in Merriam, KS so i just use KCMO as a point of reference since i've run into people that dont know there is a KCK. seriously =(

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:52 am UTC

Normally the issues I've had are with explaining that KCMO is bigger than KCK...

Er, where do we want to meet (some coffee house or restaurant on the Plaza? The Kansas City Museum? The Nelson? In front of a fountain? Somewhere else?), and what should we do while we're there?

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

no idea. i'm still not entirely used to this area. i'm going out to Davey's Uptown tonight... its gothy night, but its still a tiny bar so i just wear jeans and whatever. i'm off work tomorrow too... what is there to do 'round here that doesnt cost a whole lot?

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:19 am UTC

What do you like to do?

Have you been to the Plaza? I grew up in KC, and going to the Plaza was a frequent pastime during the holidays. It's become more crowded, but it is still a beautiful place to visit. Bonus points: it's near Westport and the Nelson and the Linda Hall Library of Science and Technology.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 am UTC

i have spent almost zero time downtown due to my weird schedule and general lack of funds. and no one to go with due to Jeffs weird schedule and shared lack of funds. I still dont have many friends here and the few people i have met arent really into ... doing anything. Not particularly interested in art, theater, gardens, science... libraries. So, getting out by myself is always something i have to force myself to do, and i havetn had the motivation yet. I think i'm going to the Plaza on new years day. Plans are not solid, and really revolve around finding a decent sushi place.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:02 am UTC

For sushi/sashimi, may I suggest Kabuki's, in Crown Center. It's downtown, but not all that far from the plaza (driving distance, not walking).

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5828323

I've been going there since the 80's, though I haven't been there for several years. You should see Crown Center, and Union Station (connected by walkways), and Science City too--all part of that 'complex'.

Near the Plaza, the Linda Hall library is...well, if you're a bibliophile, or a researcher, you'll be in love. You will probably ask them for a job.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:26 am UTC

*temples fingers* eeeeexcelleeeeent.

thank you so much. really. the two sushi places we've been have just been... eh. not BAD but not good by a long shot. they didnt make us sick, and while that counts for something, we kept looking. i appreciate the info ^_^

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:37 am UTC

Sigh... I lived 18 years in the KC area, just to go off to college when someone wants to do a meetup there...

Anyway, one of my family's irregular activities was to set up a time to go to the Linda Hall Library and have one of the staff show us the Rare Book Room.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Glad to help. There's really a ton of stuff in the KC area, it's just spread out so much that it's hard to get to it all in a timely fashion.

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Is anyone one else going to be at ConQuest?

(Yay for attempting to reanimate threads)

Return to “XKCD Meetups”