Rockin' in the Bay Area!

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Aleril
Le Rail

Rockin' in the Bay Area!

Postby Aleril » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Seeing as Bay Area meet ups have a tendency of going very well, I have come up with a bunch of cheap, fun rock concerts which XKCD can attend, and will update as sees necessary. Note that all of these concerts are during the weekend, as to be more convenient.

http://www.bottomofthehill.com/calendar.html
http://www.slims-sf.com/
http://www.gamh.com/calendar/

Are 3 great venues with (reletively) cheap prices and pretty good concerts.
Last edited by Aleril on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:14 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

bofthem

Re: Rockin' in the Bay Area!

Postby bofthem » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Three Points!
Visit my site here.
Follow me on twitter here.
I like you.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

I've never understood why California thinks it has the only "Bay Area" (or at least, in my experience, every time somebody says 'the Bay Area' on the internet, they mean CA and assume everyone else knows it).. I live near Tampa Bay, Florida. Or... the Bay Area, as we call it around here (which is what prompted me to read this).

Bays aren't exactly rarities, either.

We need to specify =(.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

xabram

Postby xabram » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I've never understood why California thinks it has the only "Bay Area" (or at least, in my experience, every time somebody says 'the Bay Area' on the internet, they mean CA and assume everyone else knows it).. I live near Tampa Bay, Florida. Or... the Bay Area, as we call it around here (which is what prompted me to read this).

Bays aren't exactly rarities, either.

We need to specify =(.

I believe that's why the term 'Yay Area' originated. However, I could be wrong.

Ragavin

Postby Ragavin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Generally how often are there meet-ups in the San Francisco Bay Area (happy?) I've been reading xkcd for forever but only recently hopped on the forum.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

I just changed the concert listings to just posting 3 great venues in San Fran which XKCD could attend.

cohcamide

Postby cohcamide » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 am UTC

On May 22nd, the Fall of Troy is playing at the Bottom of the Hill. Any one else planning on attending?

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Ragavin wrote:Generally how often are there meet-ups in the San Francisco Bay Area (happy?) I've been reading xkcd for forever but only recently hopped on the forum.

We're new at this, so I don't think a consistent pattern has been established yet. Just keep your eyes open!

I'm not really a rock-concert-goer, but I would like to salute the endeavor and say that I bet if someone proposed a specific plan and maybe sent out some PM's to folks who've posted in SF Bay Area meetup threads, I bet you'd get a group together pretty easily! These things just tend to drag on indefinitely if they're left vague... :wink:
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Elf Power is a great band from the Elephant Six Collective (Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal, Olivia Tremor Control) , and they are playing at the bottom of the hill, anyone interested?

Ragavin

Postby Ragavin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Abney Park is playing at Maker Faire saturday night. Great band. I'll be there. XD

Micron

Postby Micron » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am UTC

I like the idea but I'm afraid I have no idea who the bands mentioned are. I'll have to try to find out more and see if any of them sound appealing.

Micron

Postby Micron » Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Ragavin wrote:Abney Park is playing at Maker Faire saturday night. Great band. I'll be there. XD

Ok, I cannot say "no" to any band with a song about airship pirates. I'll have to see that.

Ragavin

Postby Ragavin » Wed May 07, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

The Abney Park show was so good, despite technical difficulties. The whole Faire was great.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 08, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Micron wrote:I like the idea but I'm afraid I have no idea who the bands mentioned are. I'll have to try to find out more and see if any of them sound appealing.

I usually check their myspaces to see if they are good.

azurelunatic

Postby azurelunatic » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

The Abney Park concert was great, although I attended through sheer coincidence!

Who-all was at the Borderlands signing last night (the 23rd)? I have video of most of it on YouTube (I'm missing the first few seconds, a few seconds about 13 minutes in, the question about whether he reads the comments on the LJ comment feeds (yes) and some of the follow-up there), and the audio is dodgy, but it is preserved for posterity, Ripley the Sphinx cat and all.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”