Rhode Island

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Rhode Island

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

I noticed at least five Rhode Islanders attended a geohash event so that means parka and I are not alone in this state.

Therefore, any xkcd'ers in RI feel like hanging out this weekend?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Re: Rhode Island

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

If some Boston folk feel like going and wouldn't mind chipping in for gas, I'm game for driving (it's cheaper than the train). I've never been to Rhode Island... and this could be a good chance!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:If some Boston folk feel like going and wouldn't mind chipping in for gas, I'm game for driving (it's cheaper than the train). I've never been to Rhode Island... and this could be a good chance!

Nougat = in.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

This weekend!?
But, I turn 25 this weekend... there is music and dancing...
How about in July? I would totally go in July...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

I have many prior commitments this weekend, including but not limited to Sophy's party and a roommate-related extravaganza.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

What he said.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Err, scratch that.... with the NYC thing coming up next weekend, I really don't have enough money to do RI this weekend. Thank you, large bill that I forgot about until five minutes ago. :cry:
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I just realized that I've had semi-plans to go to Boston this weekend anyway, so meh. I just kinda didn't want to leave the state this weekend for once.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

*shrugs* doesn't matter to me, really. I'll probably be at work for most of the visit anyway, just give me enough time to clean the place first.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

I'm busy this weekend, but keep us updated on future RI plans. Least I can do is visit you guys for a change.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 am UTC

So did you guys ever actually get something together?
Boston here... Doesn’t one of the commuter rail lines run to Providence? So I don’t think driving is actually cheaper with the current cost of gas, unless you have a great car.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

The Black Ships Festival, which highlights Japanese culture, is in Newport, RI July 17-20. Saturday, the 19th, includes an anime festival at 7:30. There's usually a sumo demonstration. This might be a good time/place for an RI meetup.
Last edited by Isaac Hill on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

If anyone's interested, the RCS/RI (Retrocomputing Society of Rhode Island) is going to be firing up our VAX-11/750 at our open house this month.

Saturday, July 19th.
Noon - 5:00.
Atlantic Mills, left tower, fourth floor
118 Manton Ave.
Providence

Our web site is sort of between designs, but there's a few nice pictures from our collection:

http://www.rcsri.org

Part of the goal for this open house is to generate some RSX-11 disk packs for next month's open house, which is going to be focused on our PDP-11s.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

There are 2 interesting meetup ideas for this Saturday. Is anyone interested in either of them?
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Yusuke

Postby Yusuke » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

I feel bad that I went to that first geohash and haven't been since, but it's not terribly easy for me to get around in general for various reasons.
Colonel Alloy wrote:If life was a disease, it'd be sexually transmitted, with a 100% mortality rate.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

School is fast approaching. If we want to do anything in RI, or if you people want to come hang out at our place, I suggest its done fairly soon. Otherwise the chance of catching us when we don't have homework or when we're awake lessens significantly.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

TDuck

Postby TDuck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Northeast Rhode Islander here - been checking the map occassionally for a doable geohash :)

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:31 am UTC

The OP, shieldforyoureyes and I all suggested things that happened within a week or two, and nobody would/could make it. Would more advance notice, maybe a month or so, be better?

parkaboy wrote:School is fast approaching. If we want to do anything in RI, or if you people want to come hang out at our place, I suggest its done fairly soon. Otherwise the chance of catching us when we don't have homework or when we're awake lessens significantly.

If you have time restrictions and can coordinate multiple people, it may be best for you to suggest an idea that works for all of you. I have a 9-5 (well, 8-4:30), so my weekends are mostly free.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:13 am UTC

So I want to start a D&D campaign -- Looking for 1-3 players for D&D 3.5 in West Warwick. Meeting approximately 1.5 times a month (variable depending on schedules), some time Friday night, Saturday evening/night, or Sunday. Haven't picked out a set time yet. If you're interested please tell me what times would be good for you and what you'd be interested in doing.

I'm guessing it'll be a more lighthearted kick-in-the-door playstyle with humorous roleplaying. (The campaign world I've got brewing is moderately ridiculous.) I'm also guessing optimization level 2-3 (if you're familiar with that metric).

PM me if you're interested!

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Providence, attended one of the successful geohashes. Game for a meetup, perhaps meet up for a game?

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Yay for replies! We're shooting for about 2pm next sunday, but its still flexible-ish. Thats just hte best time for us to host something. And I'll make a cake or something.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Mmmm...cake

Just to clarify, are Zerosum and parkaboy talking about the same thing, a meetup in West Warwick @ 2pm this Sunday? If so, is it going to be the D&D campaign Zerosum mentioned? I've never played before, may be running late, and wouldn't want everyone else to be interrupted to explain basic game fundamentals, like "What the hell is going on?" to me.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I haven't played D&D in a VERY long time, so count me as a noob as well. No worries, but I think we (yes, its the same meet-up, we live together) have estimated about 6 people, if everyone shows up. Thats a substantial group, but doable. This sunday will most likely be character creation and setup, as well as a casual "hi, nice to meet you" kind of thing. We also have a few video games and stuff for anyone who wants to just come hang out (PS2 I'm afraid... BUT WE HAVE KATAMARI!). Zero doesn't get on the fora much anymore, so feel free to PM me if you need an address. Uhm. I don't really know the area yet so directions aren't really feasible at this point. But an address, I can do.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Yes, parkaboy and I are talking about the same thing.

Here's the deal with D&D:
  1. I'm starting a D&D campaign, first session is on Sunday the 21st at 2 PM.
    • I'm only doing setting setup, going over house rules, character building and party building.
    • Sessions should be about 6 hours normally about twice a month, depending on schedules.
  2. For the first session anyone who wants to come can. You can join the group or just hang out. We will be monopolizing the only table in the house though and the house can only fit about 12 people comfortably.
  3. Don't worry about experience levels; some complete newbs have professed interest. Just bring an imagination if you want to play.
  4. If you really really want to play then that's fine; I'll figure it out. Remember that more people means coordination becomes harder.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

I just read up on D&D on Wikipedia, and it's not for me. My attention span for a board game isn't much longer than a round of Clue. Have you heard from other non-D&D people who want to just hang out? If so, it still sounds like a fun afternoon. If not, I'd feel kind of awkward watching other people play a game.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Its... not a board game? But it does require some patience. With character creation, there's always down time and I manage to pop into hostess mode, so if you just come to hang out that's perfectly cool. And, as I said, there are always video games.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Some of the pictures on Wikipedia showed people using figures on grids, so I figured it was board game like. I was thinking either that, or those old text based computer games: "You are in the antechamber. You see a candlestick. Exits are North and South." Is that closer?

Anyway, PM me the address and I'll be there. My parents are visiting this weekend. They usually leave around 1pm Sunday; if not, I may be a little late.

If anyone in RI is looking for something to do Friday evening, there's the Pawtucket Film Festival. It's actually all week, but they have a live band each night, and one of my favorite bands (Fluttr Effect) is playing Friday. Their style is prog rock, with a cello instead of a bass, and a MIDI marimba instead of keyboards. It's $10, includes 2 short films, 1 feature, the band, food, drink and a T-shirt.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Yusuke

Postby Yusuke » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Bah, I wish I could attend. I'll be in West Warwick this weekend, but I think I'll be leaving beforehand.
Colonel Alloy wrote:If life was a disease, it'd be sexually transmitted, with a 100% mortality rate.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Some of the pictures on Wikipedia showed people using figures on grids, so I figured it was board game like. I was thinking either that, or those old text based computer games: "You are in the antechamber. You see a candlestick. Exits are North and South." Is that closer?

Anyway, PM me the address and I'll be there. My parents are visiting this weekend. They usually leave around 1pm Sunday; if not, I may be a little late.

If anyone in RI is looking for something to do Friday evening, there's the Pawtucket Film Festival. It's actually all week, but they have a live band each night, and one of my favorite bands (Fluttr Effect) is playing Friday. Their style is prog rock, with a cello instead of a bass, and a MIDI marimba instead of keyboards. It's $10, includes 2 short films, 1 feature, the band, food, drink and a T-shirt.

PM to be sent shortly, and this event sounds pretty sweet. I'm interested in going, I'll see whats on Zero's schedule too.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:43 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:...this event sounds pretty sweet. I'm interested in going, I'll see whats on Zero's schedule too.

Anyone going to the Friday Film Festival who wants to hang out: I'll be the 6'4" lanky guy with long hair and glasses.

Also, I got the address in the PM and should be all set with directions. See you Sunday (or Friday).
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on RPGs. I had a, ehm, "bad experience" in high school. I know, I know, -4 to nerd chic.

Now if we could arrange a sweet game of Apples to Apples, I'll bake the cookies.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Well, you're still invited to just come hang out and play games of other sorts. Maybe we can get a game of Skitgubbe running on the side...

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:34 am UTC

WOOHOO! only, you'll have to teach me again because its weird. Awesome and weird.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Oh, Rhode Islanders. Such a sad bunch. :twisted:
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Oh, almightyze. Such a dick.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Leaf & I will be attending this, should others be interested in joining us:

This Halloween, come down to the Steel Yard in Providence for another molten metal spectacular! The gates open at 6:00 on October 31st at the Steel Yard, and admission is $5. Activities from 6pm - 7pm will include a ceramic bowl sale by our Ceramics Cooperative, bike art and costume building with Recycle-A-Bike, and a pumpkin flinging trebuchet. Proceeds from the bowl sale will benefit the Ceramics Department and resident artists. Hot cider and snacks will be available by donation.

The Iron Guild's casting performance will start promptly at 7pm. The first Guild performance at the Steel Yard brought us a glowing skull with iron wings. Last year, they unveiled the giant flaming heart and poured molten iron into pumpkins. This year...zombies, brains, and candy.

Stick around after the pour for music from local Providence band Tides.

More info:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/10/the_steel_yards_2008_hall.html
http://babel.massart.edu/ironguild/events/events.html
http://thesteelyard.blogspot.com/2008/10/iron-pour-2008.html

Anyone know of a cheap but non-sketchy hotel/motel nearish to RI? I'm not sure I want to drive home that night.

EDIT:
Pic from a previous pour:
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Yusuke

Postby Yusuke » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Anyone interested in a geohash on Sunday? It looks to be just on the edge of a building in a parking lot less than a mile south of Slater Park. Still looking into what the building is, but a meeting at the spot and a reconvening in the park sounds like a good idea.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Sunday at the park(ing lot) sounds fun, though I've forgotten the specifics of geohashing and don't own a GPS device. Can you post an address so I can look up directions? Also, what time?
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Awright Rhode Island, let's get our rears in gear. I say we all meet up soon in Providence when it's not snowing and play some FOURSQUARE!

Not. Even. Joking.

Yusuke

Postby Yusuke » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

I'm heading to the geohash point in a few. Not sure how close I'll be able to get though.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”