[UK] Oxford, Home of Dreaming Spires & Better than Cambridge

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

[UK] Oxford, Home of Dreaming Spires & Better than Cambridge

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

[UK] Oxford - Home of Dreaming Spires, Books and Really, Really Smart People - This should have been the title (kudos to thecommabandit), but it was a bit long (didn't fit).

So, over in the to Those Who Are About to Apply (to UCAS) We Salute YOu! thread we've been thinking about doing an Oxford meet-up during the interviews. As these are spread out over a coupe weeks, it would be good to have a couple. We were thinking that a good place would be

George and Danver Icecream Cafe
94 St. Aldates
Oxford, OX1 1BT
01865 245952‎
gdcafe.com

So, anyone already at Oxford, or who live near so could come anyway would be welcome too.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Gowerly
Toad

Re: UK Oxford, Home of Dreaming Spires, Books & Smart People

Postby Gowerly » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:13 am UTC

I live in Leamington, which is a couple of train stops away. If it's on a friday, or weekend, I could totally stop and say hi. I used to go to Oxford (Corpus Christi, yay!), and I've missed G&D's.

fuschia

Re: UK Oxford, Home of Dreaming Spires, Books & Smart People

Postby fuschia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I will be in Oxford, doing some extreme finals procrastination, til the 20th of December (sob) so if anyone is coming up for interviews and wants to meet up for icecream, let me know the when and the where. I can't promise not to rant about how much Oxford sucks. But that could be comforting, if your interviews went badly..? :wink:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Re: [UK] Oxford, Home of Dreaming Spires & Better than Cambridge

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Thanks, I won't know the exact date of my interviews until sometime next week or early the week after. (BMAT results don't come out until 1 Dec.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Hey guys, I am at Balliol college currently but our term finishes before interviews start. However, I will be going home to Wokingham which is pretty close by, so if a meetup does happen I would def pop back for a day :)

Any plans for the rest of the day? Do not, whatever you do, attempt to sit in your room reading! x

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

clearbright wrote:Any plans for the rest of the day? Do not, whatever you do, attempt to sit in your room reading! x

This is what I'm always tempted to do, hence the planning of a meetup. Still waiting to find out if I even have an interview :roll:
GNU Terry Pratchett

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

I have an interview. But I'm not a science person, so my interview is 8th and 9th and maybe 10th. But I'll be travelling down on the 7th.

Anyone else around these dates, or am I destined to be lonely? =P

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

I'll be here - also I might actually understand things that you say, if you aren't a science student! (My brain has been addled by the arts). :D

You might need to wait til you get here before arranging a meet-up, because you obviously don't want it to clash with your interviews, and you might want to go to the evening events they put on in most colleges. Let me know, anyway. Getting online can be tricky in some colleges (you won't usually get internet access in your rooms during interviews, and sometimes they keep you out of the library too) ...hmmm. I can PM you my number if you like. Any more arts students?

(Oh, by the way, check your interview times on the noticeboard as soon as you arrive: I had one an hour after I got to college, which I very nearly missed...)

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Which college are you at? I've not actually looked at the one I applied to (I originally looked at Physics and Philosophy and now it's Philosophy and Theology)

And what sort of evening events do they usually have on?
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

I won't be coming. Got my rejection letter today =(

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Awwwwwwwww *hugs* How long do you have to wait for other unis?
GNU Terry Pratchett

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

:( Aww, Bad luck. *hug* Try not to let it get you down - they somehow manage to turn away loads of people who are perfectly academically capable of 'Oxbridge', and still let in a good proportion who really aren't - it's not a perfect system by a long way. (My dad's a Cambridge tutor/interviewer, and I'm an Oxford undergrad, so I've experienced both sides to an extent...they do try to get the right people, but...they often fail.)

So...have you heard yet, Angua? Haven't been to G&Ds for sooo long...need...frozen...bovine...excretion...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I did get an interview, but they still haven't given me the exact date. Meetup here I come :) (It will probably be on either the 14th or the 15th)

edit: Which brilliant mod changed this thread's title to better than Cambridge at the end? I thought I was going crazy, had to go back the the UCAS thread to make sure that it had another title before. I'm glad that we have something to oppse Cambridge's better than Oxford thread.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:25 am UTC

Assuming I get the invitation (unjinx!), is the meetup place going to be one, where the starter/first course isn't bread with bread, and the side dish isn't chips?

Last time I went to England, their cuisine drove me mad.

Mad!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC

It's an ice-cream cafe.

I just got my email through with the date. I'll be there on the 15/16. So, now all we need is to start organising how and when we'll meet.
GNU Terry Pratchett

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:00 am UTC

I'm going down today for an interview tomorrow (I know there's no meetups I just wanted to say =P)

So I'll be back to scare you all with horror stories soon *evil grin*
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

Lots of luck *hugs*

If you guys are interested on a meet-up on the 15th (a week tomorrow), at the above mentioned G&D's, do we PM each other with contact details or what? What time would be best for you guys? I've never done one of these before so I don't really know how they work.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

I might be able to pop down late afternoon on the 15th. It's about 40 minutes by train from Leam to Oxford.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Cool, do you want me to pm you my cell mobile number? In England over two years and still using Americanisms :P. If you wanted to, I could probably meet you at the station if necessary, or at the cafe itself (don't know how busy either will be).
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

It's been over a day, so double posting.

Beyondweird, how did your interview go? What did you do? Was it nerve-wracking?
GNU Terry Pratchett

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

It was alright. Went down Sunday, slept that night and was given details of the next days interviews. ALL mine were in one day so I had a 10am Theology/General, 11am Philosophy Test, 2.20pm Philosophy, and 6pm Theology.

It was mainly okay, but the Philosophy threw me completely and I went to pieces. Not so good. But everyone came out upset from that one, so I think it was the interview itself rather than me.

Then I had to stay till 4.30 Tuesday. But got no other interviews, so hung round in the JCR (TV + PK Dick for amusement) and then went home.

Not so bad, although I was sharing a room. I just wish there'd been some science/maths people down, the arts subjects kids don't seem to take to me in my leather trenchcoat, docs and eyeliner. But there were some nice people :)

So yeah, overall - it's more surreal than nervewracking. If you get nice questions, its wonderful, if you get thrown, its horrid. But all in all, not too bad. And I should know by Christmas (what a great present when I get rejected)

And if all else fails - I have an offer from York so there I shall go :)

Good luck to everyone whose are coming up by the way :)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Well, I was reading through previous applicants experiences (for medicine for me) that my college gets everyone who gets and interview to write. Most of them seem to find it surreal and lots of hard things that throw them and still got in, so there's still hope :) I hope that I know by Christmas as well, that would be great to have off my mind, though terrible if I don't get in.

To the rest of you guys in this thread, do you still want to have a meetup? Or has it just fizzled out (it's cool if you've changed your minds, just want to know as I like to know what I'm doing in advance).
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Well, I was reading through previous applicants experiences (for medicine for me) that my college gets everyone who gets and interview to write. Most of them seem to find it surreal and lots of hard things that throw them and still got in, so there's still hope :) I hope that I know by Christmas as well, that would be great to have off my mind, though terrible if I don't get in.

Remembered to listen to the PodOxford interview(s)?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Wait, what? Link please.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Well, I'm at work until gone 6, so I doubt I can make it down today :(

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Well, I'm back, it was pretty scary there. At St. Edmund Hall we all ended up just staying in and watching telly, but got to talk to people so that was good :).
GNU Terry Pratchett

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I've just started getting replies back from several of my friends who applied to Oxford...and it's been utterly unpredictable as far as I could tell in terms of which of them got in. Don't let it get you down, whatever result you get: if you didn't get in, there's often a better experience beyond Oxford, and if you did, celebrate in your own way :D x

aliosha

[UK] Oxford

Postby aliosha » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Heya! Anyone interested in a meetup in Oxford? I imagine it's a geeky enough place for a few xkcders to reside there. I'm thinking a saturday afternoon/evening/night sometime in the next month or so.

Gowerly
Toad

Re: [UK] Oxford

Postby Gowerly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Sounds doable. It's down the tracks from me, so I can do an afternoon/evening.

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Hmm, possibly.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Sounds like a great idea! Evenings are doable for me, even more so if there are lifts available. Saturday afternoon would be easiest.

(There have to be some people who live in Oxfordshire who aren't completely crazy....)

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Hyphe wrote:There have to be some people who live in Oxfordshire who aren't completely crazy....)

Heh, good luck finding them :)

Would be good to have a meet here though.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

I'll be up for one!
GNU Terry Pratchett

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

How about: 10th of October, 2pm by the station.
Last edited by Incompetent on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Incompetent's suggestion of 2pm on Saturday 10th at the station is fine by me.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

Hmm, it looks like not many people can make it. Maybe some other day?

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

I'm also in Oxford, and would be up for xkcd style fun.
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:58 am UTC

So is anyone interested in meeting up during the interviews this year? They're on from the 14th - 16th (for me - Computer Science) :D
I'm definitely up for icecream/freaking out with anyone from here :)
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:21 am UTC

Curse my first-year-ness, I shall not be here over the interview period. I will tell you that any meetup that occurs should include G&Ds, for sheer awesomeness!

Where've you applied to, just so I can judge you on it :P

Return to “XKCD Meetups”