[UK] Anyone around Reading?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

eightysevendegrees

[UK] Anyone around Reading?

Postby eightysevendegrees » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 am UTC

Is there anyone here who lives in or around Reading?

I moved here in September and still barely know anyone outside of work, which means my weekends are filled with internet, boredom, internet, housework and more internet. It might be nice to have some human contact with people I don't see in the office all the rest of the week.

Any takers? I promise I'm not an axe-wielding megalomaniac. Well, I certainly don't use an axe.

The_Beige_Volvo

Re: [UK] Anyone around Reading?

Postby The_Beige_Volvo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Well I'm from Reading, not that I'm too pleased about that to be honest! I'll be back in town from across the pond for a bit either side of Christmas if you fancy a meet up? I'm not so much of an axe-wielder as an axe-grinder...

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

This is a massively unhelpful post (as i've moved to Edinburgh, not Reading), but this..

eightysevendegrees wrote:I moved here in September and still barely know anyone outside of work, which means my weekends are filled with internet, boredom, internet, housework and more internet. It might be nice to have some human contact with people I don't see in the office all the rest of the week.

...is pretty much my life. And I've only managed to get the internet in my flat last week.
i dare you to take me on...

The_Beige_Volvo

Postby The_Beige_Volvo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:58 am UTC

tin wrote:This is a massively unhelpful post (as i've moved to Edinburgh, not Reading), but this..

eightysevendegrees wrote:I moved here in September and still barely know anyone outside of work, which means my weekends are filled with internet, boredom, internet, housework and more internet. It might be nice to have some human contact with people I don't see in the office all the rest of the week.

...is pretty much my life. And I've only managed to get the internet in my flat last week.

Aye, I found the same after moving out to the US of A, except replace office with lab. I live in geek-central though, so you'd think I would find loads of like-minded people all working for google or design studios or even other labs, but...ugh, eharmony here I come!

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

eightysevendegrees wrote:Is there anyone here who lives in or around Reading?

I moved here in September and still barely know anyone outside of work, which means my weekends are filled with internet, boredom, internet, housework and more internet. It might be nice to have some human contact with people I don't see in the office all the rest of the week.

Any takers? I promise I'm not an axe-wielding megalomaniac. Well, I certainly don't use an axe.

Haha, I live in Reading, but you already know me... I'm guessing who you are purely from your avatar.

jshailes

Postby jshailes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

eightysevendegrees wrote:Is there anyone here who lives in or around Reading?

There seems to be a lot of us all in 1 boat. I've just moved down to Maidenhead, so not too far from you in Reading. Should hook up n go for a beer one night if you fancy it?

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Same - Wokingham. Recently moved here, wondering how I'll meet people my own (university student) age. What're you guys doing then in terms of work? x

eightysevendegrees

Postby eightysevendegrees » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 am UTC

I'm only just out of university, so I shouldn't be too old for you clearbright. :)

I've gone back to my parents' place for the Christmas period, but I'll be back in Reading from the 1st. Is anyone around on the first weekend of the new year? The 3rd or 4th of January.

And, dangerous, how could I forget someone who tries to install software on a block of cheese?

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

Yeah I'm just out of uni too..

eightysevendegrees wrote:And, dangerous, how could I forget someone who tries to install software on a block of cheese?

that was an awesome night, cheese needs an embedded operating system ;)

EDIT:
I won't be around for a few weekends, but I can do some school nights :D

The_Beige_Volvo

Postby The_Beige_Volvo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:41 am UTC

ugh actually I was pretty manic around Christmas and spent most of the time in Scotland (brr), so now I'm back in California. I might be back in a few weeks though...

Beige

P.S. I work in a university - does that count? :)

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

The_Beige_Volvo wrote:ugh actually I was pretty manic around Christmas and spent most of the time in Scotland (brr), so now I'm back in California. I might be back in a few weeks though...

Beige

P.S. I work in a university - does that count? :)

Quite a difference in temperature there unless you mean here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=California,+Great+Yarmouth,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&cd=6&geocode=Fc66IwMd-EUaAA&split=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&ll=52.673129,1.722515&spn=0.009927,0.01678&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Return to “XKCD Meetups”