Organizing a LAN party for the FRC competition in Atlanta

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

10nitro

Organizing a LAN party for the FRC competition in Atlanta

Postby 10nitro » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

This won't be a xkcd meetup, per se, but it is xkcd-related, and it is a meetup.

So, I think I've seen some of you with FIRST Robotics Competition banners in your sigs. Are any of you going to the championships in Atlanta?
Some of the teams are missing their prom to go, and for some of them this is a big deal, so they are having a "robo-prom" in Atlanta. Great for anyone who goes, but I have A Better Idea.

[edit:] Slight snobiness aside, any xkcd-ers going that want to hang out and/or play some games? During or not during the prom.
If I'm not to busy trying to figure out what Andrew will undoubtedly do to autonomous, I will probably be playing DOOM with myself.

Anyone want to help organize? Someone who isn't a freshie (like me)?

Details/Things to be determined:
  • To keep with having it the same time as the prom, "7:00pm-11:00pm on Thursday, April 16th." Any other time, if you still want to go to the prom.
  • I imagine enough people will be bringing laptops anyway.
  • I've got DOOM, Unreal Tournament, and Diablo (I'm into the classics). If long installers are an issue, there is a Symantec program (3-letter acronym, can't think what it's called at the moment) that allows you to install an app, but saves all filesystem and reg changes to a file, so you can take it anywhere that has the Symantec app. We could use this to quickly distribute games.
  • I don't know of anywhere where we could have it in downtown Atlanta. I'm sure we could just have a cluster in some free space in the Georgia-Dome, else I'm sure Andrew wouldn't mind "sharing" our hotel room.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Ender

Re: Organizing a LAN party for the FRC competition in Atlanta

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Hey 1712 will be down at atlanta as well.
Everyone from our team is going to the robo-prom and i'm being dragged in duct tape most likely
But if you want to hang out during the competition, there are many xkcd readers on our team that will undoubtably want to hang out
There was a young man from Trinity,
Who solved the square root of infinity.
While counting the digits,
He was seized by the fidgets,
Dropped science, and took up divinity.

serpentwind

Postby serpentwind » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I'm guessing 95% of teams are eating at CNN, if so, I'd love to meet up there.

Anyone got any ideas?
I didn't know about these forums until 1/27/09, but I've been reading for like a year before that. I feel so stupid.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Sorry I haven't gotten back (been busy with the bot...). What is it like inside CNN? Would it be practical to gather there? Or would we be better finding an open spot in the dome? I think I'll play it by ear.

I'll probably be in or near the 1024 pit most of Thursday. Start shouting "Luke".
If not at the pits, I'll be the medium-short programmer in glasses hanging out with the freakishly tall programmer (we shall call him "Andrew")

On Friday I'm sure I'll be sporting some "raptor awareness" stuff.

As for a LAN, most people have 802.11x, right? Or should I bring a switch? I'll go ahead and bring a small switch.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Postby quartrmster007 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:28 am UTC

EDIT: Disregard. Didn't notice it said APRIL 16th. Whoops.
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”