Geohashing Mindmelt

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

MuffledScreams

Geohashing Mindmelt

Postby MuffledScreams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Hi, I am new to this site. I have also been humbled. My mind apparently has been in years of apostrophe from not being stimulated. Will someone please give me the FULL run down on geohashing. I understand what it is, a random sporadically generated adventure. But as to how to navigate it I am a little hazy. I registered with the wiki geohashing link, and can't seem to understand how to operate it. Does it go by the region you are in, or is there any way to ensure that I will get a bunch of different 'local' adventures? I tried to piecemeal the whole thing together but still seem a lil lost.

MiB24601

Re: Geohashing Mindmelt

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

MuffledScreams wrote:Hi, I am new to this site. I have also been humbled. My mind apparently has been in years of apostrophe from not being stimulated.

I think you mean "atrophy." ;) Anyway...

MuffledScreams wrote:Will someone please give me the FULL run down on geohashing. I understand what it is, a random sporadically generated adventure. But as to how to navigate it I am a little hazy. I registered with the wiki geohashing link, and can't seem to understand how to operate it. Does it go by the region you are in, or is there any way to ensure that I will get a bunch of different 'local' adventures? I tried to piecemeal the whole thing together but still seem a lil lost.

The algorithm behind the XKCD geohashing function can be found here: http://xkcd.com/426/
There is also some nice information about it in the original forum thread about that comic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22733

But to answer your specific questions (as that is much simpler than just trying to say everything possible about geohashing), the geohashing map can be set for your specific region, although this won't always give you the location closest to you for a particular day. Getting the location for a day is as simple as clicking around the map. Setting your default region is done by clicking the "Set Default" button on the bottom left box on the geohashing page.

Every Saturday at 4 PM (local time) there is a meet-up at that days location. While the location for weekdays won't appear until after the Dow opens that morning, the "Dow opening" value for Saturdays (as well as Sundays) are based on Friday's Dow opening, so you can plan out your Saturday trip the day before.

I hope this answers most of your questions and if you have any more, just post them.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

MuffledScreams

Postby MuffledScreams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Yep, I did in deed mean atrophy, but think I typed it messed up near 5am and had spell check kick me in the spelling, lol thank you.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:15 am UTC

My uncle / aunt / grand mother / cousins Geo Hash. If you get them to join I will sticky this.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”