SOMEONE MUST CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE! [book-launch uab&]

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

um0123

SOMEONE MUST CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE! [book-launch uab&]

Postby um0123 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:59 am UTC

i am outraged at what i saw today on XKCD. I saw the blog entry on his book, which lead into the meetup in san fancisco on the 21st. I immediatley went to purchase tickets when i realized that you must be 21 or older. As a 16 year old, THIS OUTRAGES ME!

I am way smarter than most 21 year olds....(or at least the ones that chose liberal arts.... ). This seriously sucks, why should i be rejected because of my age? my intelligence is surely at the high enough level to interact with people over 21 in a mature way.

Why should my age be a factor when i can interact as an equal to most 21 year olds.

I DEMAND MY REQUEST BE MET.
Last edited by um0123 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

punkymonkey

Re: SOMEONE MUST CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE!

Postby punkymonkey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Buy Tickets for: Geek Reading: xkcd Creator Randall Munroe

Please note that paper tickets will not be issued. Check in at the event using the name registered here. Attendees must be age 21 or over. Email events@eff.org if you have any questions.
... they should really put some kind of contact information on there so that people can ask why there is an age restriction. Oh wait.. they did. I would try shooting them an email to find out why the age was set at 21. Perhaps they are planning on having alcohol available? Who knows.
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

hobointree

Postby hobointree » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 am UTC

While I am not nearly as narcissistic as the creator of the thread I would have to agree on the ridiculousness of the age requirement. With some research I found that the age requirement is there because alcohol is planned for the event. However, is the presence of alcohol really necessary to fully enjoy the presence of Randall Monroe or XKCD? More so, can't they just ID upon purchase of alcohol instead of simply banning everyone under 21? Comment to Randall (on the off chance you actually read this): the event is not going to change the requirement for anything short of you asking them to. A lot of your fans, myself included, are not 21 and would love to see you in person just the same. You do not make many appearances on the west coast so it is not exactly easy to gain access to your events and now on the rare occasion that you are on the same half of the country your event has an age requirement. . . just saying that I never figured restrictions to be your style ;)

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

hobointree wrote:can't they just ID upon purchase of alcohol instead of simply banning everyone under 21?;)

Well yeah, but what's stopping the people who bought it selling it to underage kids?
hobointree wrote:just saying that I never figured restrictions to be your style ;)
Dude's gotta follow the law man.

um0123 wrote:i am outraged at what i saw today on XKCD. I saw the blog entry on his book, which lead into the meetup in san fancisco on the 21st. I immediatley went to purchase tickets when i realized that you must be 21 or older. As a 16 year old, THIS OUTRAGES ME!

I am way smarter than most 21 year olds....(or at least the ones that chose liberal arts.... ). This seriously sucks, why should i be rejected because of my age? i do independent research on QCD and have a full comprehension of special relativity, and a pretty good understanding of General relatibity.

Why should my age be a factor when i can interact as an equal to most 21 year olds.

When you are twenty one, should you ever re-read this, you will understand.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

um0123

Postby um0123 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

hobointree wrote:While I am not nearly as narcissistic as the creator of the thread

i wasnt trying to be narcessistic i was trying to prove that i can interact with older people just as well as they can with each other. And my age shouldnt be a deciding factor.

punkymonkey

Re: SOMEONE MUST CORRECT THIS INJUSTICE! [book-launch uab&]

Postby punkymonkey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

You should try using your logic on a bouncer at a 21+ club. I'm sure if you explain to them that you are smart enough to hold a conversation with 21 year olds and have no intentions of drinking, they'll let you right in!

Elipongo

Postby Elipongo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 am UTC

I didn't notice the twenty-one thing, but I'm annoyed Randall's visiting NYC - the biggest Jewish city in the world- on ROSH HASHANAH!!

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
um0123 wrote:i am outraged at what i saw today on XKCD. I saw the blog entry on his book, which lead into the meetup in san fancisco on the 21st. I immediatley went to purchase tickets when i realized that you must be 21 or older. As a 16 year old, THIS OUTRAGES ME!

I am way smarter than most 21 year olds....(or at least the ones that chose liberal arts.... ). This seriously sucks, why should i be rejected because of my age? i do independent research on QCD and have a full comprehension of special relativity, and a pretty good understanding of General relatibity.

When you are twenty one, should you ever re-read this, you will understand.

Agreed. Also, at least in NYC, most bars/clubs are 21+. And do check IDs.
And it's much easier to host an event that's 21+, with alcohol, than to go through the necessary steps to make sure underage people aren't served at places with general admission. Especially for a small event.

um0123

Postby um0123 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:27 am UTC

just found out the place where its hosted is a bar itself. I dont know if they are serving alcohol, but considering it IS a bar, they probably are.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

um0123 wrote:And my age shouldnt be a deciding factor.
My location shouldn't be a deciding factor as to whether I can attend this, I like xkcd just as much as anyone else and hey, I am kind of a big deal around here and interact with most forumites here as an equal! I shouldn't have to travel to New York just to attend this event! Randall should drop all his plans at the last minute at great personal and professional inconvenience and come host it near ME, dammit! I DEMAND MY REQUESTS BE MET!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

hahaha!! now for you, LE4d.. I believe that demand should be met! ;)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:03 am UTC

um0123 wrote:i was trying to prove that i can interact with older people just as well as they can with each other.

You did a very poor job proving you could interact with adults on their level. Your initial post shows a significant lack of maturity. You might not understand it now, but one day you'll see. There's more to being grown up than how smart you are. For starters, learning some humility and ditching the arrogance that makes you think you're smarter than most people, or judging people by their major. And I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. This is as someone who has also made the mistake of admitting to a room of people that I thought I was the smartest person there (it was a big mistake to admit it, but it was also probably a mistake to think it).

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:30 am UTC

I, too, as a 7nth grader, are annoyed at age restrictions, such as the one on the event at Splash.
Last edited by Raptortech97 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:39 am UTC

7th grader in Calculus? Nice. How old are you?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”