Car Pooling

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

peace

Postby peace » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

muahah i'll be coming from 40 minutes north of boston, anyone around there could join i presume!

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

Some of you might consider flying, depending on where you are. I'm in Pittsburgh and I found that a round trip airplane ticket is $133 and the flight is less than 2 hours each way.

Compare that to driving 500 miles in 10 hours each way and it is worth it (to me).

Of course, I'm ignoring the overhead of getting to and through the airport and the idea of carpooling.
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Some of you might consider flying, depending on where you are. I'm in Pittsburgh and I found that a round trip airplane ticket is $133 and the flight is less than 2 hours each way.

Compare that to driving 500 miles in 10 hours each way and it is worth it (to me).

Of course, I'm ignoring the overhead of getting to and through the airport and the idea of carpooling.
1000 miles = ~30-50 gallons of gas = ~90-150 dollars.

Add in the cost of 20 hours and you've got yourself quite a deal there. And we haven't even touched the cost of putting another 1k miles onto your car.
Last edited by Vaniver on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

OCR

Postby OCR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

To and from the airport is really pretty easy. public transportation is pretty nice in Boston/Cambridge (though not as clean as DC's metro ... oh how I miss you no food on the train policy ... ). You can walk/subway(T) basically anywhere, and only need a cab when the subway(T) shuts down post pub crawl.

If getting around town is a concern fear not! I have a feeling there will be enough Boston natives to help groups of XKCD'ers find the hotel/meeting places.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:31 am UTC

OCR wrote:If getting around town is a concern fear not! I have a feeling there will be enough Boston natives to help groups of XKCD'ers find the hotel/meeting places.

We have a hotel now, officially? Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've been following these threads and I haven't seen actual confirmation.

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Calgary, AB, Canada anybody? Google earth says: 4234km, 1 day 18 hours.

meta

Postby meta » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

hey! I am coming from Kitchener (well, Montréal, but I will be leaving from Kitchener) so carpooling from Waterloo would be absolutely perfect, if you've still got room left. At this point, the only reason I'm not sure I'll be able to make the trip is the cost of travel and accomodations, so carpooling + a possible campout will significantly increase my chances of being able to go.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Hullo meta! Wow, that's awesome that you're coming from Kitchener...I haven't talked to Gordon about the meetup recently, but it looks as though I'll be driving my parents' van ("Hey guys, can I have the van for the weekend as my birthday present?"), so there ought to be plenny good room, yah.

I'll be editing this post (hopefully) with a map of my route, and if anyone is near it, let me know and I can (most likely) swing by and pick you up.

Ooh, I should get my passport renewed too. That could make life easier.

EDITS
Numero un - Waterloo, ON to Cambridge, MA. (It would've been more fun to plan it from Cambridge, ON but that's not *technically* where I live.)

Numero deux - Kingston, ON to Cambridge, MA. Technically, I'll be picking up my vehicle here, so...whaddaya know, it's two hours shorter?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Belial, are you guys going to be coming through cville? I read your post about leaving from Newport News, and said "ohhhhh! yay!" but then realized I'll be in c'ville by then.

so.... headin my way :)?

mrputter

Postby mrputter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:39 am UTC

! wrote:Calgary, AB, Canada anybody?

Yeah, me. But... I'm flying, sorry.

It's probably worth looking into... kayak.com sez you can still find an Air Canada / Northwest flight for $US458 return (including taxes, etc. which, with the high $Cdn these days, is still probably under $C500). Which is not much worse than what I paid a couple months ago...

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Anyone from the Lancaster/Lebanon/Hershey area going?
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

floyd4one

Postby floyd4one » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 am UTC

anyone coming from or near by to ann arbor/detroit?

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 am UTC

Nurr...okay, so apparently the car I *would* have gotten to drive is slowly breaking down into a million little pieces.
So. For people who were planning to come with me? Sorry.
AMTRAK apparently goes near there, though. *ponders*

Or, if I can find a big enough group, we could rent a vehicle.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

Amtrak goes to South Station in Boston, which is also a subway stop on the red line which goes straight to Davis Square (5 minute walk from meetup site).
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:51 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Anyone from the Lancaster/Lebanon/Hershey area going?

I'll be in Lancaster at the time of the meeting, but A) money is still a factor on whether or not I'm going and B) no way my 17 year old car is making that drive.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

meta

Postby meta » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

Aw. Thanks anyway! In that case...I may just take a bus Montréal-Boston, unless I find other Montréalers willing to carpool. (Anyone?)

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

Wait! Wait! If you're still going to be in Kitchener, there are a number of us who will be needing to get there.

Solution: Rent a van. I checked prices, and it'll be about $200 if we leave Friday afternoon, and return Monday morning. Split that 5 or 6 ways, and you're talking well manageable, and less than a train fo' sho'. Plus--ROAD TRIP! Yes?

It would be great if you were >21...

EDIT: Quick, Ren, start a Southern Ontario Pool thread.

meta

Postby meta » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

I had started thinking that just getting to Kitchener from Montréal would be kind of an (expensive) ordeal; student train tickets run ~$200, and then there's still the drive down to Cambridge. BUT WHOA. I just found $10 bus tix, Montréal-Toronto. Plan Southern Ontario is back in action!

I liked this plan from the start because I like the idea of road tripping with xkcdians. Alas, I am 19 and don't drive; I'm dependent on your mercy and automotive skills. Um...I'll bring mix CDs, and muffins?

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:Anyone from the Lancaster/Lebanon/Hershey area going?

I'll be in Lancaster at the time of the meeting, but A) money is still a factor on whether or not I'm going and B) no way my 17 year old car is making that drive.

I have a car... its the costs/timing that would be an issue. and finding out if i have marching band that day.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

Is anyone coming up from NE North Carolina or SE Virginia? I've never driven farther up I-95 than DC, and going through all that traffic scares me a little. Plus, I'm a little iffy about my car... and the structural integrity thereof. Belial and I would be more than happy to pay for gas and I could do part of the driving.

Or, if there's enough people in the area, renting a car or van is a possibility. Anyone?
You don't make them touch!

Steve

Postby Steve » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

ehiunno wrote:Belial, are you guys going to be coming through cville? I read your post about leaving from Newport News, and said "ohhhhh! yay!" but then realized I'll be in c'ville by then.

Not belial, but me and a friend will be heading out from C'ville, I plan on going up 81 and through CT on 84 to stop for some damn good food from my parents on the way however. Anyone else coming from the central VA area, or along the way of I-81/I-84 and need a ride?
John Hancock

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

ehiunno wrote:Belial, are you guys going to be coming through cville? I read your post about leaving from Newport News, and said "ohhhhh! yay!" but then realized I'll be in c'ville by then.

We could definitely come that way. We're actually looking to avoid driving our car, though, if possible, because the transmission just got replaced and we're a bit leery.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SLatios

Postby SLatios » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:29 am UTC

i'm gonna be coming from UMass Lowell, about 40 minutes away. if no one is passing by there, i can take the commuter rail to west medford and then i would be about 7 minutes drive away. i was wondering if anyone could zip by and pick me up, otherwise, i could walk 35 minutes to park.

datavortex

Postby datavortex » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:41 am UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Is anybody coming through South Carolina??? Specifically Greenville. I'll have some gas money!

I believe we'll have room....

3 of us are driving up from Atlanta in a Ford Explorer. Unless another local friend wants to grab the fourth seat, I'm pretty sure we'll have to drive through Greenville on I-85....

Please email me (datavortex@datavortex.net).

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

Is anyone coming from Florida? Hopefully passing through Orlando or the Tampa Bay area?

I kinda doubt it, but it's worth a try.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

butternut

traveling from Vermont

Postby butternut » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Hey yall,

I'm coming from southeastern Vermont, though haven't sorted out a route yet. Probably just straight across Rte 2 (EDIT) and park at Alewife station, then stroll to the park.
(thanks Davis Sq Rocks)

Anyone need a ride, or already coming from around here?
Last edited by butternut on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Route 2 ends at Alewife station, which has a big parking garage. You can walk to the meeting point from this garage; no need to actually get on the subway. See the 'Directions' sticky thread for more info.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

for people who've never driven in boston before, i recommend parking someplace you know how to leave from and taking the public transportation. the train (T) is only 2 bucks.

i will be leaving from the hartford, CT area, although i don't know which day. i can only assume i am staying at meaux's place.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Ren, if your route takes you through buffalo I can meet you there and chip in my fifth or sixth. I'm 19, I drive, but would sort of prefer not to, especially with a van.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

kamickalo

Postby kamickalo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm sure this will be absolutely fantastic. When I first found the hidden message, I thought that maybe one or two others had noticed, and maybe I would meet them there... oh, how wrong I was.

At any rate, I'll be driving there myself (about 45 min away), but my mom (being the mom she is), suggested I find a person or a few people there who I could meet up with, so in the case that I magically disappear, somebody can say "Oh yeah, I saw him over there about half an hour ago", or "Oh yeah, he was flying a kite and fighting velociraptors over by the centrifuge".

Does anyone want to exchange contact information? Preferrably somebody around my age (17), but anybody would be fine, really.

kamickalo

Postby kamickalo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

My apologies for the double post, but I couldn't find an edit button.

Anyone in the Lowell area would also be very convenient.

I'm guessing you didn't look that hard. I assure you, it's there.

It totally wasn't there before. Maybe it's my midnight clock insanity.
Last edited by kamickalo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

I'm driving up day of from Rhode Island if anyone wants a ride. Reserve your seat now since I can only take three passengers and two of them have little leg room.

mendenbar

Postby mendenbar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:53 am UTC

I noticed that that other car from Maine is full, but I'm also looking to go to boston. Im in Portland, and Ill probably take the Amtrak if I cant get a carpool.

Let me know =)

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:16 am UTC

Room for one, preferably 21+ going from Virginia along this route, starting in Harrisonburg...

http://tinyurl.com/yo52n7

(81North to 84, then 90 into Bostonish).

Someone mentioned a $4 all day parking garage, does anyone have the address/LATLONG for it?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am UTC

AbNo wrote:Someone mentioned a $4 all day parking garage, does anyone have the address/LATLONG for it?

That would be the Alewife T Station, see the How to Get There / Directions thread for all sorts of useful local info. Short directions though are I-95 in the Boston Metro area to rte-2 East, Follow signs for Alewife T station.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

Also, Google Maps understands "Alewife Station, Boston" as a destination.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Alewife garage is now $5. Once you park there, do not get on the subway. Just walk to the meeting point.

pandapandapie

Postby pandapandapie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

I'm planning on taking a plane to Boston but can only do so if someone can let me carpool with them around the city (aka to and from the airport, a place to sleep (I'm fine with floors), and the park). If anyone is able and willing, please get back to me as soon as possible. Otherwise, I won't be able to go.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

pandapandapie wrote:can only do so if someone can let me carpool with them around the city

What's wrong with public transportation? From what I hear, Boston's is pretty great.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”