List of calculated decimal coordinates?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Ericles

List of calculated decimal coordinates?

Postby Ericles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Hey hashers!
I'm looking for a list of the calculated decimal coordinates since the original comic was posted. I could use some of the tools on the web to calculate them one day at a time but that will get very tedious quick.
What I'm hoping for is that a daily geohash fell within a certain park located near the center of my graticule. I'm trying to get Geohashers & Geocachers together and publish an official Geocaching.com event but I need a predetermined location where we'll initially meet before calculating the current day's location and carpooling to the official xkcd meetup. We'll shoot for one of the Saturday meetups. I'll probably wait until daylight savings kicks in again so we have an extra hour to hang out once we get there... where ever there may be. :)

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Re: List of calculated decimal coordinates?

Postby hendusoone » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

The geohashing wiki would probably be the most likely place you'll find it. If they don't have a list for your graticule, there is an easy-to-use calculator to make everything a bit less tedious. http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Ericles

Re: List of calculated decimal coordinates?

Postby Ericles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to get very far with the wiki, but it did get me started and in the spirit of xkcd this led to calculations, formulas, new software tools & something like 8 hours of work. It also produced just what I needed! Random lessons learned:
It's hard to learn how to do something yourself when deg2rad and geo::hash do everything for you in the sample code snippets.
Open Office Calc has an MD5 built in function.
You can get up to 200 opening DJIA lines at a time from Google.
Manually converting decimal hex is a pain to the 16th power.
A missing ">" will torpedo your GPX file.
CSV, TXT, GPX file uploads are forbidden here.
This entire exercise could have been done in one line of Perl. 8)

In the spirit of sharing, I've attached the fruits of the labors in CSV & GPX formats. The CSV is just the decimal degrees minus the graticule. The GPX is specifically for N40, W074 (but can easily be changed with a global find/replace). Enjoy!
Attachments
geohashes.zip
List of all geohash locations (through 2005-05-26), minus the graticule, in CSV format plus a GPX of all locations within N40, W074.
(30.67 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Return to “XKCD Meetups”