Seattle area!

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Seattle area!

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 am UTC

I won't be at UW till the Spring quarter, unfortunately... Now I'm just taking classes at North Seattle Community College. Partly because it's cheap, partly because I can walk there, and partly because I just moved here a few months ago.

I'm not really complaining though, since the teachers are surprisingly good for a community college.

Essah

Postby Essah » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:41 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I won't be at UW till the Spring quarter, unfortunately... Now I'm just taking classes at North Seattle Community College. Partly because it's cheap, partly because I can walk there, and partly because I just moved here a few months ago.

I'm not really complaining though, since the teachers are surprisingly good for a community college.

I had lessons at NSCC for 3 weeks in October...
short term international student program.

go for the Wraps in the cantine. by far the best they offer.
Give my Regards to Zach and Taha.... okay nevermind :wink:

bloatyspizzahog

Postby bloatyspizzahog » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

so when is the next seattle meet up? are we waiting for fairer weather? i dont really feel the need to wait for some big event in seattle so if anyone wants to post a suggestion for somewhere and sometime in the next few weeks or months to to get things started that would be cool. if not then i'll at least be at hempfest if anyone wants to meet up there.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 am UTC

It pretty much happens whenever somebody nags us into starting it, or we have exciting xkcd visitors from out of town. I think things have been quieter lately due to many of the more active members such as suffer-cait, CVSoul, and myself being in school and busy and whatnot. But yeah, hit up the thread and we can probably pull something together quick enough.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

I would be up for a meet up, though I am on a tight budget, so can't do anything too fancy. I am on the east side of the Lake ( MS country )
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:16 am UTC

we're all pretty much on a tight budget i believe. also, if you want a meet up, you'll get one if you plan one. otherwise, kells is most capable of planning one, and she is always too busy to.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 am UTC

I've lived here almost six months and haven't met any of you people.

Oops.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I've lived here almost six months and haven't met any of you people.

Oops.

Maybe we have been avoiding you on purpose?

Though, I was just throwing my hat out there, letting anyone know that there is a person that would show up. The best I could organize anything would be get a rough head count and on Y day, meet at X bar ( or restaurant / Coffee shop / some place ).
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 am UTC

Maybe we could do a monthly thing? I've been meeting with friends every other weekend for a Tetris LAN party and that's worked pretty well.

bloatyspizzahog

Postby bloatyspizzahog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

ok, so for for schedulings sake are we more weekend people or is midweek more likely?
are mornings good or would afternoon/evening be more convenient?
i think it would be much easier to get this out of the way first before we start throwing out random dates and times.

(also i'm not exactly drowning in money) i dont think we need anything too extravagant.

i've had plenty of good times just bumming around seattle
uugghhh, i eat too many pizza

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:22 am UTC

bloatyspizzahog wrote:ok, so for for schedulings sake are we more weekend people or is midweek more likely?
are mornings good or would afternoon/evening be more convenient?
i think it would be much easier to get this out of the way first before we start throwing out random dates and times.

(also i'm not exactly drowning in money) i dont think we need anything too extravagant.

i've had plenty of good times just bumming around seattle

Day : Either weekend or midweek work for me, I am sitting on 1 class and just prepping/looking for a post graduation job.
Time : I prefer Afternoon or Evening, since I can't wake up early :(

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 am UTC

I'm usually free on monday-thursday after 3-ish and weekends.

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 am UTC

Hey, I'm only 300 miles away from there! I'd be down for meeting new folks next time I cross the mountains.

Hopefully within the next month or so, that's when I'm already planning on visiting some friends and family that-a-ways.

It'll probably be over a weekend, and I don't have a schedule or anything since it's essentially a mini-vacation.

Ideas?

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am UTC

i am in school approximately every week day at varying times and i work mon, thurs, fri nights from 9pm-230am otherwise i am free

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm gonna be in Seattle from may 4th to may 11th, and while a meet up would be supercool, I was also posting in this thread to see what's good to do. I'm 18 and I'll be staying in Issaquah if that helps at all. I've got time to travel pretty much anywhere in the Seattle area, though I will be using public transport.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 am UTC

Public transport in Issaquah is going to be...fun.
To get to Seattle, you would have to go to the Park&Ride in the Highlands, and they leave at specific times.
And come back at specific times.

(If you want, I could post a link with times, if that would help)

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am UTC

That would be great. I'm actually staying in the highlands, and buses are cool. I don't really mind waiting around for one, that's not an issue for me at all. (unless it's something ridiculous like once every 2 hours, once every hour is fine.)

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:14 am UTC

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/sc ... 18_0_.html (Metro Buses)
http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Soun ... eekday.xml (Sound Transit)

You know, it's better than I remember. Huh.
I don't know the difference between the two, sorry. But it seems like better times are available for Sound Transit.
The King County website should have information about more specifics and such. Not sure about Sound Transit.

Also, since you're near Issaquah...this restraurant is supposed to have good food.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Thanks for that, It's good to know about the restaurant too, I'll be staying with an uncle, so I'm sure I can get him to pay.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 am UTC

Chandani wrote:http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/schedules/s218_0_.html (Metro Buses)
http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Soun ... eekday.xml (Sound Transit)

You know, it's better than I remember. Huh.
I don't know the difference between the two, sorry. But it seems like better times are available for Sound Transit.
The King County website should have information about more specifics and such. Not sure about Sound Transit.

Also, since you're near Issaquah...this restraurant is supposed to have good food.

Two different bus services. Sound Transit is a joint transit service for the whole Puget Sound area, focusing mostly on longer distance commuter-type stuff. King County Metro focuses more on local, frequent routes. I just checked the route maps for those two links, and both buses take basically the same route. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got some sort of code-sharing type thing going on; the two agencies tend to work quite closely together.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:50 am UTC

Mumpy: If you're looking to get into Seattle from the Issaquah Highlands, I'd highly recommend the Sound Transit 554. It's a much nicer and faster bus than the equivalent Metro. If you're looking to head to North Seattle/U-District from the same location, the 556 is the best option. Both of these buses also stop in the downtown Issaquah transit center as well, if that ends up being more convenient. (I'm currently Issaquah-based as well, so feel free to hit me up for any public transit or other Issaquah-type questions).

Re: me setting up meetups, it's possible I'm best-equipped to do it by virtue of personally knowing cait, cvsoul, and zorlin (and phantmshadow that one time). However, negotiating all of our particularly busy schedules is a formidable task.

Nonetheless I'd love to get everyone together again sometime, and meet all these new people! Magnanimous, in particular, has been just out of my radar for months. :wink: If any of you are UW people, I'm on campus all the time, so that would be a very easy meetup to accomplish. We don't need to drop tons of money on activities, either. The Huge Ass-Meetup last June went swimmingly without too much money spent.

I'm not sure who all is available/interested, so I'm not going to plan anything independently just yet. But are you guys interested and available? Because if so, I can try to pull something together. Lemme know and stuff.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:Huge Ass-Meetup last June

She's not joking, either.
Spoiler:
assmeetup1.jpg
assmeetup1.jpg (122.36 KiB) Viewed 11496 times

assmeetup2.png
assmeetup2.png (195.63 KiB) Viewed 11496 times

assmeetup3.jpg

assmeetup4.jpg
assmeetup4.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 11496 times
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am UTC

TIR (today I remember) there is actually a photo on the internet of me grabbing Zeroignite's butt.

8)

Life Chris

Postby Life Chris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

I'm erm... new to the community to say the least (this post is not even going to get posted till I get my first one approved lol), but um I'll be in the Seattle area for about a week for my spring break starting on March 12 and ending on March 19th or so. I grew up in Washington but I've been away for a while now. Currently going to school in New York. Wondering if anyone would want to meet up or something :3

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

We could have a Pi day meetup (though maybe not on the 14th since that's a Monday) and I could bake my famous pi-cake...

It's not really famous. But it is good.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:TIR (today I remember) there is actually a photo on the internet of me grabbing Zeroignite's butt.

8)
There is also that photo of us kissing somewhere... 8)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 am UTC

Could be produced if requested (and approved by all kissers involved).
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 am UTC

i'm on break pi day. that whole week is spring break, but i go out of state thursday night.

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 am UTC

Anyone going to linuxfest in april?
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

Mighty Flaming Frying Pan

Postby Mighty Flaming Frying Pan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Wow, I hate missing things like this. >.<
I'm up for a meetup sometime, since I live in Seattle. U-district is preferred, although I can bus/bike around the region too.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 am UTC

So, posting to push for a meet while I'm at your fair shores. I am there (here?) from the fourth untill the eleventh of may, and you all seem like nice people to jam around with (I promise I'm nicer than posts make me seem, too). I mean, no pressure, but if you need an excuse to meet, then I'll happily be the speck of dirt that the beautiful raindrop of a meet uses to form.

Also, Thanks Kells! Sorry about not saying it earlier but I read your offer/advice at the time, thought "Well that's nice of her" and promptly ticked the To Do box of say thanks in my head... Sorry about that.

leonard3314
Location: i think its called "Seattle"....something like that

Postby leonard3314 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:57 am UTC

Hey so i'm a new forumite, but a long time reader. i live in the U-district of seattle and would love to meet up with anyone who would like to. If there isn't a big Seattle meet-up planned i say let us do this. and have fun. and stuff.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Super thread bump tiem.

This is kind of short notice, but who's going to be around on Sunday afternoon? Mumpy has a layover downtown from about 2:30 to 4, and we're thinking of getting lunch or something at Pike Place.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Fri May 13, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I might be able to show up on Sunday. I live on the other side of the Lake, so I would be driving... so, has the toll on the 520 started already or not?

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am UTC

I should probably say that my train leaves at 4, so I want to be king street at 3.45 latest (ideally on the train at that point). This is gonna be a pretty fleeting/random/visit.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sat May 14, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:I should probably say that my train leaves at 4, so I want to be king street at 3.45 latest (ideally on the train at that point). This is gonna be a pretty fleeting/random/visit.

Its not like I live real far... its like 20 minutes across the bridge driving. Its not like I am going an hour just to meet Mumpy ( Though, you can think that if you want :) ). I am more debating how bad parking is going to be there on Sunday.

*edit*
If your station is where Google maps shows. It is right near Elysian Fields, a local brewery. They do have a regular kitchen/restaurant part, so minors are allowed. Though, I have no clue if any games are going on, to make it busy as hell.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 14, 2011 2:35 am UTC

So ~2:40 to 3:30, then? That's a decent meetup, I guess. :P

Apparently the 5 bus stops a few blocks from Qwest field, so it'd shouldn't be too bad of a walk for me. YMMV? Elysian Fields sounds good though; my dad has been there a few times for drinks.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sun May 15, 2011 3:21 am UTC

i will keep it in mind. someone should PM me their number. i have Rammstein to go to that night though

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Gah . . you got tickets there .... jealous :( . I didn't feel like going alone, and I know none of my friends like that/could afford it.

Also, yeah, I am sitting at a 90% chance of showing up as well. I am driving, so . . if someone happens to need a ride, let me know asap.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sun May 15, 2011 4:37 am UTC

I've PM'd mine to Mag as well, so sure.

Sweet, so, for tommorrow.

I'm white, six ft, and have light brown hair. I'm gonna be wearing a redish/greyish shirt and black coat & jeans. Also a big blue/black rucksack (+a smaller black one too). My real name's Ruori (rory), and I'll get to Elysian fields Asap, but prolly not for a little while (Yay! Immigration & Customs! My Favourite).

Return to “XKCD Meetups”