Bay Area Meetups

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Bay Area Meetups

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:21 pm UTC

Shro wrote:So I live in the Bay Area now! Oakland to be precise. Super close to a BART stop, so maybe let's find a coffee shop or something that works for people because I don't really need an event as an excuse to meet up, just having a conversation with interesting people is good enough for me, and I would love to tap your knowledge about this area, since we moved here less than a month ago. Hit me up y'all!

Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm right between the Fruitvale and Merritt BART stations.

If you would like to know places and things to see/eat at/shop at/etc. Shoot me a message, or we can have coffee, or whatever.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:24 am UTC

Shro wrote:So I live in the Bay Area now! Oakland to be precise. Super close to a BART stop,

regardless of any meetups, you should know that http://www.iamrudy.com/ is awesome and has a 19th st BART location
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

I live in Reno, and occasionally make the drive to Sacramento and beyond. Not sure when my next trip will be, but I'll post it here when I know. That restaurant looks amazing! And I'm always up for meeting fellow xkcdians!! :D

Dunning–Kruger wrote:"The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:18 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Shro wrote:So I live in the Bay Area now! Oakland to be precise. Super close to a BART stop,

regardless of any meetups, you should know that http://www.iamrudy.com/ is awesome and has a 19th st BART location

We went there for brunch on a Saturday! Greasy and carby and the perfect diner fare. We've also hit up Xolo and Belly, which are also excellent. There's also an Off The Grid food truck stop here on Thursday evenings. Jacque works in SF in the South Beach area, and we've also checked out a bit of the Mission District. It's been a very fun place to explore so far!

freezeblade wrote:If you would like to know places and things to see/eat at/shop at/etc. Shoot me a message, or we can have coffee, or whatever.

You are very close by! I will have to take you up on your offer of coffee sometime, there is a Terra Mia close by that makes some yummy horchata lattes. Although I end up calling them horchata lattas by mistake, but then kind of morphed to on purpose.

I do have a question about desi grocery places around here. Where's a girl gotta go to find some raw turmeric around here? Also some idli batter. I found a Korean grocery store close by, which is great for a ton of stuff... I made tom ka gai for the first time here. I also tried an international store downtown, but it seemed more geared towards West Indian/Carribean sort of stuff, although it seems like the place that would try to source some ingredients for me if I started getting it regularly.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:38 am UTC

Shro wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

We went there for brunch on a Saturday! Greasy and carby and the perfect diner fare. We've also hit up Xolo and Belly, which are also excellent. There's also an Off The Grid food truck stop here on Thursday evenings. Jacque works in SF in the South Beach area, and we've also checked out a bit of the Mission District. It's been a very fun place to explore so far!

freezeblade wrote:If you would like to know places and things to see/eat at/shop at/etc. Shoot me a message, or we can have coffee, or whatever.

You are very close by! I will have to take you up on your offer of coffee sometime, there is a Terra Mia close by that makes some yummy horchata lattes. Although I end up calling them horchata lattas by mistake, but then kind of morphed to on purpose.

I do have a question about desi grocery places around here. Where's a girl gotta go to find some raw turmeric around here? Also some idli batter. I found a Korean grocery store close by, which is great for a ton of stuff... I made tom ka gai for the first time here. I also tried an international store downtown, but it seemed more geared towards West Indian/Carribean sort of stuff, although it seems like the place that would try to source some ingredients for me if I started getting it regularly.

So I can't help much with indian groceries specifically, but Berkeley Bowl is pretty awesome all around (and I know they've had raw turmeric).
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:So I can't help much with indian groceries specifically, but Berkeley Bowl is pretty awesome all around (and I know they've had raw turmeric).

I've seen them have both red and white raw turmeric!
Not to mention being my source for galengal, and young hawaiian ginger.

Other restarunts to check out, if you two liked xolo:

Tamerindo, The Chop Bar, Nido, Forge, The Boot and Shoe service.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

We can also be at Bay Area meetups provided that they A) happen on weekends and B) are toddler-friendly or we have enough notice to arrange for a babysitter. :)
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:So I can't help much with indian groceries specifically, but Berkeley Bowl is pretty awesome all around (and I know they've had raw turmeric).

I've seen them have both red and white raw turmeric!
Not to mention being my source for galengal, and young hawaiian ginger.

Berkeley Bowl was indeed fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation Aaeriele and Freezeblade! It was SO CROWDED on Saturday when we went though. Their organic produce section is amazing, and everything tastes fantastic. I'm going to have to use actual galangal for my thai dishes instead of the regular ginger I've been subbing.

I'm also looking for lady docs and a dentist. We've already found a vet, I've gotten a hair stylist I quite like (although she's moving to LA in a month, which is a total bummer, I JUST found her, and I like her!!).

PictureSarah wrote:We can also be at Bay Area meetups provided that they A) happen on weekends and B) are toddler-friendly or we have enough notice to arrange for a babysitter. :)
I would also like an even where I can bring the dog-beast.
We should all meet up for a hike in one of theEast Bay Regional Parks. Jacque and I went to Redwood Regional Park with Bo and it was just so much fun. Ideally in this type of way, with frequent stops and snacking and secret alcohols. We'd also love to make trips out to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. So many beautiful things outside!
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

Meir woods is also worth a trip, wonderful redwoods.

I just got back from camping on the top of mt. Tam. Also quite wonderful.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:12 am UTC

Big fan of Tilden park up behind Berkeley, and a friend recommends Mount Diablo. But really we're game for whatever if the scheduling works. Much more willing to make the day trip now that Leo's a little older.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:37 am UTC

Shro wrote:I do have a question about desi grocery places around here. Where's a girl gotta go to find some raw turmeric around here? Also some idli batter. I found a Korean grocery store close by, which is great for a ton of stuff... I made tom ka gai for the first time here. I also tried an international store downtown, but it seemed more geared towards West Indian/Carribean sort of stuff, although it seems like the place that would try to source some ingredients for me if I started getting it regularly.

I haven't looked for raw turmeric specifically, but there are a bunch of well-stocked Indian grocery stores in the San Ramon/Pleasanton area. And in Fremont, I think, though it's been a while since I was in those parts. There are also some smaller Indian groceries scattered around SF.

lowtheredie

Postby lowtheredie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am UTC

So that's one vote for the 15th. I have no objection. Does that sound like a good day to anyone else? If it is we can start talking time/place.
Thanks , :)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 pm UTC

15th (evening) I'll be in SF, a friend is spinning at the makeout room.
The rest of the weekend is pretty booked for me, unfortunately.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”