Who is bringing instruments to play?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Who is bringing instruments to play?

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

There are a good number of musicians on this forum, and hopefully many of them are coming to the meetup. If you are a musician, and you're coming (or are already here), and you'd be interested in playing music together, say so!

I've noticed an overabundance of reeds and would enjoy writing some chamber music 'specially for XKCD if there will be players to play it.

I am a jazz clarinetist, by the way, with exponentially decreasing skill in some other instruments (sax, piano, trumpet, and lots of etc.).
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

I was thinking xkcd should make a band, it would be so cool, *thumb to forehead* - "Bags, being Rodee!"
=]

Urbal T

Postby Urbal T » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

This is an amazing idea. I have a bass guitar, which may or may not work. My amp is shitty and small, but I think it sort-of works. Pending all of this, my ability may or may not be up to par. Also, I may or may not be bringing an oboeist.

But I am definitely ready to geek out about music with some fellow xkcders!
Fnord is evaporated herbal tea without the herbs.

OCR

Postby OCR » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

I sold my cello a few years ago when I decided I wasn't going to pursue it as a major/career, so I don't have any interesting instruments to bring to said event. I can bring an acoustic guitar along though.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

In b4 Hedgeclippers
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

I could bring my bagpipes, but I'm sure there's some sort of noise ordinance or something.
Never tell me the odds - Han Solo

OCR

Postby OCR » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

there are people who play a mean bagpipe on the charles all the time, but its on the wrong side of the charles. The dirtier more Boston-like bank of the charles.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

I could bring my oboe or my guitar.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:43 am UTC

I don't know where this would go down. Acoustic instrument stuff could theoretically be done in the park at the meetup, but anything requiring power would obviously need a location with those magic wall hole things.

I should also mention that, for people with musical skill but no ability to bring their instruments, I have:
- an Alesis QS8.2 88-key weighted synth
- a djembe
- a crappy trumpet and Bach 7C mouthpiece
- a half-decent tenor sax with a HORRIBLE mouthpiece and no reeds
- misc other stuff (spring drum, ocarina, etc.)
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:18 am UTC

Ren wrote:I could bring my oboe or my guitar.

We all know what you are going to bring and it doesn't sport any springs

*shakes fist*

(I mean how lame would it be if the forums most awesomest Oboe player brought her guitarr. That's like Gretsky sporting his new football.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

!

Postby ! » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:40 am UTC

If I managed to come, I have skills in bass and acoustic guitar. I own an acoustic which could be brought. I have skills on trumpet, but the muscles faded from my 20 months of braces. I'm working on getting them back though... so I could bring trumpet of guitar *if* I came.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:

If you are insinuating that I should bring my oboe, it has springs. Lots of them.

Ren is confused.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

Ren wrote:
fjafjan wrote:

If you are insinuating that I should bring my oboe, it has springs. Lots of them.

Ren is confused.
I think his finger migrated from the 't' key to the 'p' key without him noticing.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Alioth

Postby Alioth » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

I'm bringing my voice.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Ren wrote:
fjafjan wrote:

Ren is confused.
I think his finger migrated from the 't' key to the 'p' key without him noticing.

My fingers can be very naughty like that...
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Dea Mariella

intrigued...

Postby Dea Mariella » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm UTC

So, I'm intrigued, I'm spellbound. How does one become the forum's most talented oboist? What kind do you play? How long have you played? ...I find this mind-boggling since all of the oboists I know [mostly my studio members] would not be able to read xkcd and get the jokes.

...hi! Nice to meet a fellow oboist that can!

Dea-chan
"without the nuts, the world would be an awfully plain candy bar"
-Kate Dieterle

Elcynae

Postby Elcynae » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Now the question... do I bring my clarinet, which I played very well a few years ago, but am a little scared to try right now, or some instrument that I never played as well but which won't make me feel bad if I'm not as good as I wish...

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

The trouble with brining a trombone is that it is quite large, and rather hard to carry on a bike. If this were just a single location sort of thing, and not an open-ended sort of all-weekend experience as it appears a number of us are making it, a trombone could work wonderfully. So, my trombone will remain at home.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

Your open-ended sort of all-weekend experience won't be full if you have no big uncomfortable things to carry with you wherever you go.
From Russia with math.

plunkettt

Postby plunkettt » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I should also mention that, for people with musical skill but no ability to bring their instruments, I have:
- an Alesis QS8.2 88-key weighted synth
- a djembe
- a crappy trumpet and Bach 7C mouthpiece
- a half-decent tenor sax with a HORRIBLE mouthpiece and no reeds
- misc other stuff (spring drum, ocarina, etc.)

bring your djembe, i'll find you

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

EstLladon wrote:Your open-ended sort of all-weekend experience won't be full if you have no big uncomfortable things to carry with you wherever you go.

Already got one of those. It's called my bike.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:05 am UTC

There is no need to bring my djembe, for it lives here with me in Davis Square. Ha-HA!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:10 am UTC

So, question, are we actually bringing and playing instruments? And when would we jam?

I'm not bringing my oboe across the border unless we are *sure* something's going to happen.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Methinks this weekend we should set up some kind of schedule of major activities like Museum of Science and musical jam. I could see musical jam happening shortly after meetup time, in Danehey park.

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

I would love to have a musical jam. I can bring a bowed psaltery, and I can pretty much sing in tune. I have a K2000VP but there's no way I'm bringing that on the T (it's hard enough to get down the stairs of my building). If someone wants to stop by MIT with plenty of cargo space and bring it, I would be cool with that. I could also bring an acoustic guitar, but I don't think there will be any particular shortage of guitars, and mine isn't special.

I can pretty much play any instrument that does not require stretching fingers in a non-piano-like way or breath. This includes accordion, harp, drums, piano, violin? (haven't tried), cello (tried last week), bass, bowed psaltery, zithers, vibraphone, and more, but *not* guitar chords, winds, or brass.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

I'm assuming that it's strictly unplugged (some parks do have outlets but I'm guessing this isn't the case)?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:11 am UTC

I'm not aware of the situation in Danehey but I haven't seen a park around here that's wired so I assume not. Also, amps and speakers make everything more complicated.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:31 am UTC

NOTE: I am not bringing my oboe. It would be complicated, and it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

However, I can play guitar and hit a drum and stuff, so I'm still up for jammin' after the meetup if someone can provide me with an instrument.

joeneedstogrowup

Postby joeneedstogrowup » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:40 am UTC

I'll be making a pit stop in NYC's Chinatown on the way, so maybe I'll find some cheap little store with kazoos - in which case I will buy several and distribute them to interested parties.

Because kazoos freakin' rock and you know it.
Lotta sad Joes out there. Stalin killed people to ease his mind, Smith married a buncha girls, and Comeau draws a webcomic.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”