[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Re: Cambervillain Perpetual Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Cake Night: because it makes you a better person.*

*As Meaux is posting this instead of being AT cake night, clearly she is the worst person ever.

I'm sorry. Sundays are often bad for me.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Yay for random mountain climbing( pix soon I hope?) and Cake Pie Night!
It was nice to see some of you again from the 4th and meet new people. Friends of the ones who aren’t here, get them to join!

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Once I got home I nearly passed out from the tired, so I am also a bad person for not going to cake night, and a doubly bad person for not putting the hiking pictures up yet.

I should have them up tomorrow, if I don't forget.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Cake Night: because it makes you a better person.*
*As Meaux is posting this instead of being AT cake night, clearly she is the worst person ever.
I'm sorry. Sundays are often bad for me.
I will go to cake night, when I can get Skippy to come to Cake Night again...or when Meaux goes. We got back, I met Beth's new cat, that took up some time, and then we showered (yes, together, it was hot...are you happy? Good, cuz I'm lying to you.) We were hungry and didn't really feel up to JP, so we got Tibetan food and I showed her some Northern Exposure (no, it's a TV show) and Samurai Champloo.
ADXCKGuy wrote:Yay for random mountain climbing( pix soon I hope?) and Cake Pie Night!
It was nice to see some of you again from the 4th and meet new people. Friends of the ones who aren’t here, get them to join!
(is you pronounce the X as and S it could be Aids Sick guy..and that would be screwed up...) I LOVE Jay and all those other folks as well (the ex, his friend Dana, Slick Harry Jive, Milk Skippy, Rusty Trombone, and Justin the Newburryportian of mighty proportions)...but I don't really need these worlds coliding QUITE that hard. I'm really glad when my people get along so well with other people that are also mine... I barely know Dana and Milk Skippy isn't quite mine, but the rest of them are definitely mine. You'll see them again I'm sure, they don't need to be here though. I keep Jay informed on events, but I don't want my ex taking over my social life and appearing at more events than my boyfriend...that's just not kosher. Beth can join the fora though.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:We were hungry and didn't really feel up to JP

I suspect a cake night explosion when it moves to Camberville proper. I can only hope that the kitchen there is a bit bigger...

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:Yay for random mountain climbing( pix soon I hope?) and Cake Pie Night!
(is you pronounce the X as and S it could be Aids Sick guy..and that would be screwed up...)
Still wrong( for now, hopefully forever) but it is the kind of nasty joke I would make about the whole thing. My friends who are certainly do. For the record, the A is the word a( the indefinite article).
Sprocket wrote:I LOVE Jay and all those other folks as well (the ex, his friend Dana, Slick Harry Jive, Milk Skippy, Rusty Trombone, and Justin the Newburryportian of mighty proportions)...but I don't really need these worlds coliding QUITE that hard. I'm really glad when my people get along so well with other people that are also mine... I barely know Dana and Milk Skippy isn't quite mine, but the rest of them are definitely mine. You'll see them again I'm sure, they don't need to be here though. I keep Jay informed on events, but I don't want my ex taking over my social life and appearing at more events than my boyfriend...that's just not kosher. Beth can join the fora though.
LOL, we need their input, though... I didn’t mean they should join just to post in this thread and come to every meetup ever, I meant fun people always add to fun fora, especially the ones you know offline.
Plus, make your boyfriend come more. OK, that was so not supposed to be dirty, but I’m not changing it.

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Anyone wants to go see Walli-e?
I'm in the mood for some movie time, but it'd have to be after Wednesday.
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

LilPixie wrote:Anyone wants to go see Walli-e?

Wall-e is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. If I wasn't heading out of town for the weekend on Wednesday, I'd think about tagging along.

-MD

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Sunday afternoon perhaps.

ejegg

Postby ejegg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 am UTC

I am very much down for seeing Wall-E - as was somebody or other (PictureSarah perhaps?) when I mentioned it pre-fireworks. I can make it to any show after 7 this week or sometime on the weekend. Here's a daunting list of cinemas and showtimes for Thursday: http://www.google.com/movies?hl=en&near=cambridge+ma&sort=1&mid=732a6b3516a279a5&date=3 As much as I'd enjoy a drive-in, methinks Mendon is a bit far. Does the mob prefer any particular cinema? Revere's Showcase Cinemas @ 7:20? Boston Common Loews @ 8:05? Alewife's gritty Entertainment Cinemas at at 7:30?
Does this post make my ego look big?

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:29 am UTC

ejegg wrote:I am very much down for seeing Wall-E - as was somebody or other (PictureSarah perhaps?) when I mentioned it pre-fireworks. I can make it to any show after 7 this week or sometime on the weekend. Here's a daunting list of cinemas and showtimes for Thursday: http://www.google.com/movies?hl=en&near=cambridge+ma&sort=1&mid=732a6b3516a279a5&date=3 As much as I'd enjoy a drive-in, methinks Mendon is a bit far. Does the mob prefer any particular cinema? Revere's Showcase Cinemas @ 7:20? Boston Common Loews @ 8:05? Alewife's gritty Entertainment Cinemas at at 7:30?
I can’t go Thursday, so if that’s when you end up going, have fun. PictureSarah is going away for a while on Sunday, so it would have to be prior to that if she’s going. I would suppose bakemaster will accompany if she does, yes/no? Where are you, oh master of delicious pie?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I was thinking of maybe trying to organize something on Saturday before I go, since I'm going to be gone from July 13-August 22. A movie would be fine. I have also been hankering for some delicious noodles such as can be found at the Porter Exchange or Wagamama.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:12 am UTC

I could do Wall-E. And ESPECIALLY Wagamama.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Wall-E and Wagamama, VERY YES. I can't do Thursday, but Friday or Saturday would be peachy.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

ejegg

Postby ejegg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Rawkin - let's do a Saturday Wag & Wall. Any time works for me - were folks thinking of meeting at a lunchly time, or something more supperific?

For your future consideration, consider this: the Brattle Theater is having a Dr. Who special event a month from now. Three nights of various Doctors (Fri-Sun Aug 8-10), Sunday's written by Douglas Adams. Best of all? Free! We just need to RSVP at http://www.brattlefilm.org/brattlefilm/movie_detail/080808.html. I'm down for at least Friday & Sunday

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:08 am UTC

ejegg wrote:Rawkin - let's do a Saturday Wag & Wall. Any time works for me - were folks thinking of meeting at a lunchly time, or something more supperific?

For your future consideration, consider this: the Brattle Theater is having a Dr. Who special event a month from now. Three nights of various Doctors (Fri-Sun Aug 8-10), Sunday's written by Douglas Adams. Best of all? Free! We just need to RSVP at http://www.brattlefilm.org/brattlefilm/movie_detail/080808.html. I'm down for at least Friday & Sunday
Erm, I could shuffle and go for some robonoodle action on Saturday... and with a month advance notice, I could do all 3 nights of Who - never seen any of the older stuff, would be very cool. Although, would that be last Cake Night of the summer? Or will bakey already be gone/too busy?

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Bakey will be in California with me from August 6-16, so I don't think he'll be around for Dr. Who.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Bakey will be in California with me from August 6-16, so I don't think he'll be around for Dr. Who.
Oh, well, that works out then, doesn’t it?( Except for you and the Pieman, if you wanted to see the marathon. But you’re cuter than any of the old Doctor anyway, so I doubt he’ll feel like he’s missing much.) So no schedule conflicts. Although, that could mean we’ll on converge on the theatre as a substitute and crowd out everyone else. :-P

Sooo... I’ll echo Elliott, have we a time in mind for Saturday moviefooding?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Mm, been hearing so many good things about Wall-E. I'd be very in favour of that. And no idea what this other a-laden idea is that's being tossed around, but y'know, I'm sure I can trust you folks. Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Mm, been hearing so many good things about Wall-E. I'd be very in favour of that. And no idea what this other a-laden idea is that's being tossed around, but y'know, I'm sure I can trust you folks. Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust.

Wagamama? It's an asian noodle house kind of place. I was pretty surprised to see the one in Harvard Square since I've only been to it before in London. I just looked it up and indeed it is a British chain. All over the UK, a few scattered around Europe and Australia, but Harvard Square is the only one in the US.

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 am UTC

sparkyb wrote:
Sandry wrote:Mm, been hearing so many good things about Wall-E. I'd be very in favour of that. And no idea what this other a-laden idea is that's being tossed around, but y'know, I'm sure I can trust you folks. Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust.

Wagamama? It's an asian noodle house kind of place. I was pretty surprised to see the one in Harvard Square since I've only been to it before in London. I just looked it up and indeed it is a British chain. All over the UK, a few scattered around Europe and Australia, but Harvard Square is the only one in the US.

No it isn't, there is another one in Quincy market.

But more importantly, when and where on Saturday?
I vote for the Boston Lowell since it's pretty close to the Wagamama in Quincy Market, and we can have some sun-fun at Park Street. Maybe a "Bye-Bye" (party? freesbe event? random event? running-towards-picsar-and-jumping-on-her-frail-body-to-show-our-deep-love-for-her-precense event? Blank?) for Picsar?
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

Various flickr sets:

The 4th: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28372656@N08/sets/72157606048100336/
Random hiking: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28372656@N08/sets/72157606051729573/

PictureSarah wrote:I was thinking of maybe trying to organize something on Saturday before I go, since I'm going to be gone from July 13-August 22. A movie would be fine. I have also been hankering for some delicious noodles such as can be found at the Porter Exchange or Wagamama.

Probably won't be around for that- parents are in town this weekend. Have a good time in CA!
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

LilPixie wrote:Anyone wants to go see Walli-e?

I'm down for Thursday. Damn I guess you're all doing Saturday...I'll be in Philly and I do want to see it :-(
ADXCKGuy wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:Bakey will be in California with me from August 6-16, so I don't think he'll be around for Dr. Who.
Oh, well, that works out then, doesn’t it?( Except for you and the Pieman, if you wanted to see the marathon. But you’re cuter than any of the old Doctor anyway, so I doubt he’ll feel like he’s missing much.) So no schedule conflicts. Although, that could mean we’ll on converge on the theatre as a substitute and crowd out everyone else. :-P
What's this about Dr. Who? I've never seen the new one. I'd like to. :-D

The only other thing I can figure out is "A dick sick guy" and that's not very interesting.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

If anyone has Magic cards, bring a deck or two.

*twitch twitch*

I need a fix.

>_o
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

What time Saturday! I am all excited!
EXCITED!!!!!!
And I would play magic if someone had an extra deck. I may have gotten rid of all of mine when I stopped dating that guy who ran a magic card store...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Shall we meet at the Boston Common Loews at 2:45ish in order to make the 3:05 showing of Wall-E, and then afterwards we will mosey down to the Quincy Market Wagamama?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

The Can Kickers are playing tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 9th- BOSTON, MA @ Titus Sparrow Park on West Newton Street
between Columbus and Huntington Aves. 6:30-8 PM Free, All Ages

They are friends of Skippy, I will thus be there.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Time for a MegaPost™!
LilPixie wrote:
sparkyb wrote:

No it isn't, there is another one in Quincy market.
Blah, beat me to it... :-P Sandry, check out http://www.Wagamama.us.
LilPixie wrote:But more importantly, when and where on Saturday?
I vote for the Boston Lowell since it's pretty close to the Wagamama in Quincy Market, and we can have some sun-fun at Park Street.
Lowell→Loews or..? Sun-fun is good. But we’ll leave it up to the goodbye-girl I guess. I already gave her a perfectly good hug buh-bye, but now I’m potentially seeing her again before she goes? Gah, I always jump the gun.
Thanks Phil(?), very nice! Sexylonerjustin shot is nicely framed. Only wish there were more pix of everything. *coughhenducough* Did you and smooth/creamy Skippy really take pictures of each other taking pictures? LOL
Have fun with your folks.
Sprocket wrote:What's this about Dr. Who? I've never seen the new one. I'd like to. :-D
You should. The newest Doctor is a very hot geek. Bet he loves xkcd.
sophyturtle wrote:What time Saturday! I am all excited!
EXCITED!!!!!!
And I would play magic if someone had an extra deck.
Ditto! Although, it’s been so long, I would probably have to read up on the new rules... which I will only bother doing if I know there will be an extra deck to play.
PictureSarah wrote:Shall we meet at the Boston Common Loews at 2:45ish in order to make the 3:05 showing of Wall-E, and then afterwards we will mosey down to the Quincy Market Wagamama?
...What does everyone think of this? Hmmm... OK, I second. If someone thirds or fourths this, I will move my shift for the weekend, and probably buy my tickets online so as not to leave it up to chance with downtown Boston’s Saturday matinee movie crowd.

Sprocket wrote:The Can Kickers are playing tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 9th- BOSTON, MA @ Titus Sparrow Park on West Newton Street
between Columbus and Huntington Aves. 6:30-8 PM Free, All Ages

They are friends of Skippy, I will thus be there.
Sounds like fun! I might come, depends on a boy.

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Saturday at the posted time is great.

Pictures from the 4th
Pictures from the hike

ejegg

Postby ejegg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 am UTC

2:45 @ Boston Common works for me. Also, the Can Kickers are astonishingly fantabulous, if you dig backwoods punk jug bands. They have more energy than any band I've ever seen, and Doug often smashes his washboard at the end of the show (my sis worked w/him at Pinewoods a couple summers & I caught a few shows). I'll try to make it tomorrow - should catch at least half the show.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 am UTC

I have -- more than enough Magic cards to make decks for the entire Cambervillain crew.

Alas that movie-seeing (I am SO JEALOUS I am totally dying to see Wall-E, by the way!) is -- not really something I can do, so I shall be absent Saturday.

*grumbles about the lack of closed-captioning... pretty much everywhere*
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:08 am UTC

You could always join us for post-movie noodling!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:18 am UTC

natraj wrote:I have -- more than enough Magic cards to make decks for the entire Cambervillain crew.

Alas that movie-seeing (I am SO JEALOUS I am totally dying to see Wall-E, by the way!) is -- not really something I can do, so I shall be absent Saturday.

*grumbles about the lack of closed-captioning... pretty much everywhere*

Dang. Once again I am reminded of how limiting certain things are which I take for granted, like movie theaters. Stupid movies! I could kidnap a translator for you and make them stand at the front of the theater with a flashlight pointed at them so you can see. I'm sure we could get through the whole movie without being arrested for kidnapping...
Wait wait, we'll just use our **misogyny not found** on said translator! THIS PLAN CAN ONLY WORK SMASHINGLY.

...is Ryan North projecting into my brain again? That last bit felt like T-Rex said it.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:05 am UTC

natraj wrote:I have -- more than enough Magic cards to make decks for the entire Cambervillain crew.

I'll have my own spares, but I still second the motion for you to join in the noodling.

And you and me should check out each other's "collections" sometime. Once I get mine "organized," which will probably be "after" the movie and noodles, sadly. Also, these "quotes" are "useless" and I'm including them to be "funny."

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Aforementioned boy has just been and gone... I feel less than well...
hendusoone wrote:Saturday at the posted time is great.

Pictures from the 4th
Pictures from the hike
Yay memories! I even look slightly less-than-horrible in a few of the Mt. Major ones.
natraj wrote:*grumbles about the lack of closed-captioning... pretty much everywhere*
Did I miss something? Are you deaf?
Meaux_Pas wrote:Dang. Once again I am reminded of how limiting certain things are which I take for granted, like movie theaters. Stupid movies! I could kidnap a translator for you and make them stand at the front of the theater with a flashlight pointed at them so you can see. I'm sure we could get through the whole movie without being arrested for kidnapping...
Er, my ex might do it, if I can locate him. That prospect is a bit iffy though, and I don’t suppose we could really pull it off without disturbing other people and getting kicked out.
:-( I would always like to meet more people, damn the lack of accessibility. Actually, I’m surprised they don’t have a MoPix system or something at that cinema, AMC is usually good about those things, I guess they were sued a few years back... I will contact them about it tomorrow and find out why a big, central cinema in a major city wouldn’t have accessible facilities.

EDIT: According to web research, they ARE equipped with some sort of accessibility system in theater #4, and captioning exists for WALL-e. Maybe we could pressure the theater manager( or just ask nicely) and get that showing of WALL-e in that theater? It seems like a long shot, but a long shot is better than none. Their phone # is 617 423-5801, I will try to make contact tomorrow and find out more.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:50 am UTC

natraj wrote:*grumbles about the lack of closed-captioning... pretty much everywhere*

speaking of which, if you don't mind I'd like to ask you something. When I was in London, late at night several of the TV stations would show movies with someone standing in front signing. I'd never seen anything like that before and was wondering if that was somehow preferable to closed-captions. It seemed more distracting to me, but it's not for me.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:

I'll have my own spares, but I still second the motion for you to join in the noodling.

And you and me should check out each other's "collections" sometime. Once I get mine "organized," which will probably be "after" the movie and noodles, sadly. Also, these "quotes" are "useless" and I'm including them to be "funny."

My "collection" is "mostly" "organized", but then I "gave up" somewhere during the last "color".

Okay, enough "quotes". I am totally "lost" as to where I should "use" them.

BUT. Maybe noodles. I shall have to see what my Saturday looks like.

ADXCKGuy wrote:
Did I miss something? Are you deaf?

Sorry! -- I know the majority of regulars in this thread by now so I assume knowledge that not everyone has :D Yes. I am.

Okay, no, actually on a technicality I'm not -- um. But I am so very HOH that without hearing aids, functionally, yes. I am not sure if I can say 'legally deaf' like people say legally blind. HM.

Anyway but the short answer is yes! If you talk to me, I won't hear you. There.

ADXCKGuy wrote:Actually, I’m surprised they don’t have a MoPix system or something at that cinema, AMC is usually good about those things, I guess they were sued a few years back... I will contact them about it tomorrow and find out why a big, central cinema in a major city wouldn’t have accessible facilities.

EDIT: According to web research, they ARE equipped with some sort of accessibility system in theater #4, and captioning exists for WALL-e. Maybe we could pressure the theater manager( or just ask nicely) and get that showing of WALL-e in that theater? It seems like a long shot, but a long shot is better than none. Their phone # is 617 423-5801, I will try to make contact tomorrow and find out more.

Well -- I don't know. A lot of large theatres are equipped to do CC, but they just -- don't. It is frustrating. Boston is way totally worse about it than Chicago and New York, too.

Sometimes I contact theatres to pester them but mostly I just... don't go to movies! Plus, the past three times I have been to a movie in the theatre (which is over a span of... um... a few years!) each time something went wrong with the captioning and I missed half the movie anyway. I think they just don't care all that much about making sure it is accessible/that the accessibility stuff actually works.

ETA:
sparkyb wrote:speaking of which, if you don't mind I'd like to ask you something. When I was in London, late at night several of the TV stations would show movies with someone standing in front signing. I'd never seen anything like that before and was wondering if that was somehow preferable to closed-captions. It seemed more distracting to me, but it's not for me.

I MIND TERRIBLY I can no longer hang out with you after this outrage.

-coughs- Okay. Seriously though -- hm. I sort've prefer captions, but when I go see Broadway shows my friend that I go with makes sure there'll be a 'terp there for me, and -- well, you know, it'd be hard to caption live theatre. It is maybe more distracting at first, but you get used to it and then don't even really think about it.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:19 am UTC

natraj wrote:I MIND TERRIBLY I can no longer hang out with you after this outrage.

ha ha, that was short-lived.

natraj wrote:-coughs- Okay. Seriously though -- hm. I sort've prefer captions, but when I go see Broadway shows my friend that I go with makes sure there'll be a 'terp there for me, and -- well, you know, it'd be hard to caption live theatre. It is maybe more distracting at first, but you get used to it and then don't even really think about it.

I didn't mean to offend or anything (and I'm pretty sure that I didn't actually). I don't have anything against it. At first I thought it was really cool that such a thing existed because I'd never seen anything like it on TV before. But then I realized that it seemed like a lot of trouble to go to when a solution to that problem already exists (closed-captions), so I just wasn't sure if there was some added benefit I was missing. However, it was far from the most puzzling thing for me about British TV.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:I didn't mean to offend or anything (and I'm pretty sure that I didn't actually).

Hee. No, you didn't. I am actually pretty hard to offend.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

My roommate saw it and said there was not much in the way of dialog beyond one little robots saying the other robot's name in a cute manor. Or at least she said that is what the first half of the film is.
And I will call to check for captioning too. My guess, if we can get everyone going to call they will do it and you can join us for the movie which would be rad cause then you would definitely go to noodles and I would get to meet you!
WEEE
I have not done that yet, and am excited at the prospect.

And it would make sense to get tickets online right? I mean, I am not really, what's the word... organized?, but I can try.

Edit:
hmmm
They said ti is Get Smart on the #4 this Saturday. And the guy said they would not change it. I feel somehow defeated...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”