[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Re: Cambervillain Perpetual Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:in case anyone joins us unexpectedly( yay!) or drops out unexpectedly( aww :-().

The former is infinitely more likely, given past experience.
Sounds good to me. :-)
Oh, on DS, is there anything you like to play multiplayer? I will most likely have mine and will bring specific games for matches if suggestions are provided( including my own copy of Tetris this time, hendu! I’ve been practicing. ;-))

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

TIN PIN SLAMMER KAHSD;FLHASD;LKJFH
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Ok,
tickets bought, will love to see everyone tomorrow.
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I'm going to buy my ticket online tonight (assuming I can do so). This turned out to be much more of a to-do than I anticipated. I might wear lipstick or something.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Well jeez, if you're going to raise the bar that high I'm going to have to ... lemme see here ... um ... wear clean underoos?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Clean underoos? Aw crap. I guess this means you probably expect me to shower. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Clean underoos? Aw crap. I guess this means you probably expect me to shower. :P

That's undercrackers!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:21 am UTC

I will also be there. I will show up early-ish to get my ticket ahead of time, and then hang out with Nougat or read in the park or something.

ADXCKGuy wrote:The theater: You can cuss them out for greedmongering at 617 423-5801. If they tell you it’s corporate and not up to them, tell them that’s bullshit, because I called Andra at corporate and she said they refused to change when she contacted them.

Yeah! Let's stick it to the Man!

And then pay fairly large amounts of money to see a movie in the Man's theater, anyway...

In the future, perhaps we could pick a movie people don't want to see *quite* so much, so that perhaps we'd be willing to boycott (and tell the theater we've got a large number of people doing so) if they're unwilling to change. Because they've got no real incentive to change as it stands right now, when they only lose one person's business and gain quite a few extra seats to charge for by keeping things as they are.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:06 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I will also be there. I will show up early-ish to get my ticket ahead of time, and then hang out with Nougat or read in the park or something.

ADXCKGuy wrote:The theater: You can cuss them out for greedmongering at 617 423-5801. If they tell you it’s corporate and not up to them, tell them that’s bullshit, because I called Andra at corporate and she said they refused to change when she contacted them.

Yeah! Let's stick it to the Man!

And then pay fairly large amounts of money to see a movie in the Man's theater, anyway...
Yes, I doubt this was lost on any of us. I dismissed the thought of a boycott out of hand, though, since the excursion aroused great excitement and has become a sort of going-away party for PictureSarah. If there had been a little more time maybe we could have moved it, but this all came together quite fast - which I suspect is the norm for this group, though I don’t have enough experience with you to say for sure.
gmalivuk wrote:In the future, perhaps we could pick a movie people don't want to see *quite* so much, so that perhaps we'd be willing to boycott (and tell the theater we've got a large number of people doing so) if they're unwilling to change. Because they've got no real incentive to change as it stands right now, when they only lose one person's business and gain quite a few extra seats to charge for by keeping things as they are.
The sad thing is, if were a slightly less popular picture, they would likely have no problem moving it for us - especially after this Andra person contacted them on our behalf.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:The sad thing is, if were a slightly less popular picture, they would likely have no problem moving it for us - especially after this Andra person contacted them on our behalf.

I think that is part of what bugs me the most. The whole, 'no we can't change it because this movie is awesome and everyone wants to see it' thing. Yes! It is awesome! This means Deaf people will want to see it too. We like awesome movies just like everyone else! :(
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

natraj wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:The sad thing is, if were a slightly less popular picture, they would likely have no problem moving it for us - especially after this Andra person contacted them on our behalf.

I think that is part of what bugs me the most. The whole, 'no we can't change it because this movie is awesome and everyone wants to see it' thing. Yes! It is awesome! This means Deaf people will want to see it too. We like awesome movies just like everyone else! :(
Exactly. Why is the system installed in the small theater? If the point is to make films accessible, shouldn’t all films be accessible to everyone on their opening weekends and while they are still hot?

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:
Thanks Phil(?), very nice! Sexylonerjustin shot is nicely framed. Only wish there were more pix of everything. *coughhenducough* Did you and smooth/creamy Skippy really take pictures of each other taking pictures? LOL
Have fun with your folks.

You are indeed correct on the nameage. Thanks for the framing complement- I sometimes get obsessed about it when I take pictures. And yes, taking pictures of people taking pictures is a theme of mine. I don't know if the reverse shot was taken in that particular instance though.

natraj wrote:

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I could see captioning making a difference for less popular movies- people might choose another movie or not go if they don't care too much about seeing a film. If they're going to a movie just to see one particular movie, though, one that they came specifically to see and for which there may be limited seats available, they probably won't care. It's not even like they have to read the captions, like in a foreign film.
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Boxcar Aldous Huxley wrote:
natraj wrote:

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I could see captioning making a difference for less popular movies- people might choose another movie or not go if they don't care too much about seeing a film. If they're going to a movie just to see one particular movie, though, one that they came specifically to see and for which there may be limited seats available, they probably won't care. It's not even like they have to read the captions, like in a foreign film.
Actually, with the MoPix system and Rear Window captioning, the captions are projected to a mini-screen directly in front of the deaf person. The other moviegoers wouldn’t even see them, just like the descriptive audio for blind folks is directed through headphones that only they wear.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I just finished all the pre-wedding craft projects that can be done before thursday or so and I'm thoroughly enjoying not having to be somewhere or do something. So I'm going to go sit on my back porch with a book and a beer for like ... ever. Have fun at the movie, kidderoos.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:45 am UTC

Indeed we did. Just sorry I did not get to meet you or natraj. Nice to see/meet everyone else, though!

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 am UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:Indeed we did. Just sorry I did not get to meet you or natraj. Nice to see/meet everyone else, though!

Maybe next time! I was going to come for noodling but I'm sliiightly broke at the moment due to my friend Catherine abruptly deciding to get cancer last week. :(
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Oh no! That’s a low blow.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 am UTC

Zero and I are going to be at TGA tomorrow (err, today) if anyone wants to join us. $26 for 10 hours of all the video games you can play (noon to 10 pm and we'll be there ALL DAY).

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:studyinserendipity( think I met you, but I cannot remember who you are?)( eating babies)

I was the blonde girl at cake night, who couldn't eat the pie and did happy dances occasionally. If you're more of a location person, I was primarily sitting/standing across the table from you :)

Hope you all had a good time yesterday!!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Ah, OK, now I gotcha. :-)

Yes, yesterday was lovely, we amused ourselves and each other very well for about 6 hours. Movietime, noodletime, pastrytime, parktime, yay! I think some even went for extra innings in Nougatville.
How were the babies? :-p

I understand several people are at the beach today, but I am too tired to make my way up there - and, since first meeting some Cambervillain-type people last Friday, I spent 3 of 9 days primarily hanging out in xkcdland. I think for day 10, Cake Night will be enough. I love you all, but, overwhelming!

Meantime, even though I lack the wherewithal to get myself there, wherever there is, what is TGA?

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, Happy Threadiversary! This big ol’ meetup thread has existed for exactly a year( and one second. Darn! So close!), which I guess makes 13:00 tomorrow the anniversary of that brunch.

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Good to hear the Saturday events went well. Hope cake night was good too.
Anyone feel like rock climbing ever? I usually go to MetroRock (http://www.metrorock.com/) (near Wellington Station) Tuesdays and Thursday evenings. An outdoor bouldering session is not out of the question, either, although I may need to secure a crash pad for that.

Happy Threadiversary!
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:38 am UTC

I've been meaning to check out metrorock for a while. I used to go gym-climbing every week while in college, but have since stopped (it's no longer free). I've only been climbing outdoors a couple times, though... I don't have my own ropes or shoes. Lack of equipment really limits such things.

If you want to pick a specific date for MetroRock, I'll totally be there. I can't do Tuesday or Thursday this week, though. How are they for belay tests?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

ejegg

Postby ejegg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Pics from the water feature near Mike's Pastries (don't call it a fountain): http://ejegg.com/piccy-wiccys.

Missed another cake night - got a frantic call & had to take mom to hosp with what turned out to be kidney stones (much pain, little danger). She's feeling much better now. Hope to attend a cake night (or pie-throwing night) soon.

Boxcar Aldous Huxley wrote:Anyone feel like rock climbing ever?

Wow - had no idea there were climbing walls that close to my place, and it's been way too long. I most definitely want to go some evening soon & will post again soon as I figure out when's best.

Did anybody RSVP for the free Dr. Who shows at the Brattle Aug 8-10? I claimed me + 1 would be at all of them. Dunno if there are still tix, but the RSVP link's still live here: http://www.brattlefilm.org/brattlefilm/movie_detail/080808.html
Does this post make my ego look big?

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 am UTC

I want to get into climbing, especially since Metrorock is like 2 blocks from me, but my bank account will not allow it right now.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

I short-sold rock climbing in Azrael's Great Divestment of Expensive, Dangerous Hobbies of `03 along with paintball, traffic frogger and crack.

Being dropped didn't help.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:Zero and I are going to be at TGA tomorrow (err, today) if anyone wants to join us. $26 for 10 hours of all the video games you can play (noon to 10 pm and we'll be there ALL DAY).

Sorry, what? Where? Huh?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
parkaboy wrote:Zero and I are going to be at TGA tomorrow (err, today) if anyone wants to join us. $26 for 10 hours of all the video games you can play (noon to 10 pm and we'll be there ALL DAY).

Sorry, what? Where? Huh?
I did a little googling after no one answered me. I believe they went to Tokyo Game Action.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC

^

Correct.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Boxcar Aldous Huxley wrote:Good to hear the Saturday events went well. Hope cake night was good too.
Anyone feel like rock climbing ever? I usually go to MetroRock (http://www.metrorock.com/) (near Wellington Station) Tuesdays and Thursday evenings. An outdoor bouldering session is not out of the question, either, although I may need to secure a crash pad for that.

Happy Threadiversary!

I just got back from there (my roommate climbs). I'd definitely be up for climbing some time.

hendusoone wrote:How are they for belay tests?

Mine consisted of:
- Put on harness
- Tie in for climbing
- Belay a friend (with one unannounced fall)

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Ah, very good. I'll just have to freshen up on my knots, then. That will take all of one minute.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:29 am UTC

Hi other Boston folks. I'll be checking in to stalk you all occasionally, and maybe come out for in-person stalking <3

(Anyone want to see Batman?)
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Boxcar Aldous Huxley wrote:Good to hear the Saturday events went well. Hope cake night was good too.

Anything wrong with outdoor toproping? I don't like gyms enough to shell out the bucks. There's an AMC group every Wednesday evening at the Quarries, and Tuesdays at Hammond...I get to one or the other fairly regularly. I might do a Saturday at the Quarries at some point, just to have a larger block of time.

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Freezepop wrote:Friday, July 18 - ArtBeat, 7 Hills Park, Davis Square in Somerville. We're on around 8 p.m. More details TBA. Free and all-ages!
I'll be there. Anyone else in?

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:Anything wrong with outdoor toproping?

My only issue would be lack of gear.

hendusoone wrote:
Freezepop wrote:Friday, July 18 - ArtBeat, 7 Hills Park, Davis Square in Somerville. We're on around 8 p.m. More details TBA. Free and all-ages!

I'm in.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

MissingDividends wrote:I'm in.

BRING MAGIC CARDS.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

IN b4 DARK RITUAL
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Only because you won the coin toss and stuck me with first draw.

spi

Postby spi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:

ooo thanks for mentioning that hendu. I remember getting the email from them and wanting to go. Now that I am reminded I will be sure to show up. Freezepop is a cool band. :)
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:
MissingDividends wrote:I'm in.

BRING MAGIC CARDS.

How will we make sure we aren't skew?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”