[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Re: Cambervillain Perpetual Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:We just got in from the beach fire. I can’t imagine being awake by then, but, who knows? If I am, I may go. If not, I’ll potentially be at Cake Night. Or Shakespeare. Or both simultaneously until I am observed being at one, at which point I’ll be not at the other... passing out now.

Cakespeare!
LOL I might die of ecstasy if there were both.
Last edited by ADXCKGuy on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Either way I'll be there with a brand spanking new haircut wearing this shirt in the middle of the square (sitting on the greenhouse for the undead) at quarter of 3.

Damn. If I'd bothered catching up on this thread when I first got online today, instead of just now, I'd've gone to that. Oh well. Next weekend will be less crowded, anyway, right?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Awww always check the thread! LOL I just woke up when I made my previous post and it is happening right now, out there in Cambervillain land.
I have a story to tell you. Hmmm... and As You Like It isn’t exactly my favorite Shakespeare comedy... The director is good, though... but Cake Night is close. Then again, there’s a concert right near my house that sounds interesting. ARGH STUPID DECISIONS.( It’s even worse the second Saturday in August.)

Holy crap sudden storm just flooded my street up past the siewalks. And I live on a hill! I assume this is a quick one and the weather will improve by tonight...

EDIT: how did that get blown up from size 50 to 150?
Last edited by ADXCKGuy on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:
Sandry wrote:Why're you always trying to get me thrown in jail? Does the answer involve x-10 cameras and prison buttsex?

Prison buttsex? No.

Oh, well I'm glad we've got that cleared up.

Sudden thunderstorm appears to be over now, but was awesome. :D

That said, I doubt I'm going to either cake night or Shakespeare, as another friend talked about Shakespeare next weekend, and also I hate you all. Erm, I mean, I still have a houseguest over.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:I doubt I'm going to either cake night or Shakespeare, as another friend talked about Shakespeare next weekend, and also I hate you all. Erm, I mean, I still have a houseguest over.
What kind of guest doesn’t like geeks with cake?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:
Sandry wrote:I doubt I'm going to either cake night or Shakespeare, as another friend talked about Shakespeare next weekend, and also I hate you all. Erm, I mean, I still have a houseguest over.
What kind of guest doesn’t like geeks with cake?

The type who brought ice cream and hot fudge which we are trying to finish?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:42 am UTC

So, who wants to see Batman now that the opening weekend rush is done? =P
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

OH SURE! You jerks all go to Shakespeare WITHOUT ME this weekend. I see how it is. I can do anything but Wednesday. :-)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:OH SURE! You jerks all go to Shakespeare WITHOUT ME this weekend. I see how it is. I can do anything but Wednesday. :-)

I don't know how many people actually ended up going to Shakespeare, but a lot of us at cake last night (who didn't go, obviously) were talking about going sometime this week. I'm pretty sure next Saturday was selected.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:29 am UTC

My roommates are waiting for The Dark Night in IMAX. And I will probably go with them. It was amazingly good.

I am down for Saturday night Shakespearierre.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

spi

Postby spi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:25 am UTC

sparkyb wrote:
Sprocket wrote:OH SURE! You jerks all go to Shakespeare WITHOUT ME this weekend. I see how it is. I can do anything but Wednesday. :-)

I don't know how many people actually ended up going to Shakespeare, but a lot of us at cake last night (who didn't go, obviously) were talking about going sometime this week. I'm pretty sure next Saturday was selected.

Yeah afaik it was just studyinserendipity and I from xkcd land. I am leaving for vacation on Wednesday and wanted to see it before I left as I won't be back before the run finishes.

It is a fine production with singing! :)
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:37 am UTC

spi wrote:

YES! The music is awesome!!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 am UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:So, who wants to see Batman now that the opening weekend rush is done? =P

I'd like to go see Batman at some point.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:18 am UTC

spi wrote:
sparkyb wrote:

Yeah afaik it was just studyinserendipity and I from xkcd land. I am leaving for vacation on Wednesday and wanted to see it before I left as I won't be back before the run finishes.

I stopped by before heading to Cake, but I couldn’t find you. I didn’t particularly care for what I saw of the acting, it felt like they were playing the dialogue too superficially.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Ok, I need to see all the old skool cambervillains STAT! I miss y'all!
Can we do shakespeare this week, DURING the week? Tomorrow or Thursday or Friday.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:I stopped by before heading to Cake, but I couldn’t find you. I didn’t particularly care for what I saw of the acting, it felt like they were playing the dialogue too superficially.

D'oh, we are sorry to have missed you. I was trying to keep an eye out for people, but 'twas tricky. I was also a bit concerned with the acting, but it actually toned down later in the play for the most part. Or maybe the story was enough to let me see past it. Whatever it was, I didn't think the acting got in the way of the overall show as it continued, though the beginning felt kinda 'flashy'.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

have a tendency to just plain like the fact that people are doing Shakespeare I think. But I have seen productions of things I didn't like. I saw an AWFUL production of Love's Labours Lost, and I really did not like the movie version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. ..That title looks unusual and specifically not Shakespearean to me at the moment. Modern I'd call it. Op, it's over, looks normal again now. Anyway, the Michelle Pfifer, Stanley Tucci, Christian Bale, That sexy gay guy who was in a lot of stuff back then, Kevin Kline, skinny crazy lawyer actress, version from the late 90's was well intentioned and pretty enough and all, but it was guilty of my favorite thing to hate productions of comedys over - They did not acknowledge the actual JOKES that were WRITTEN IN to the DAMN SCRIPT! And instead threw in a bunch of really un-funny slap stick, an un-funny errection joke, and various other unfunny side bits. Then I stabbed a guy.

I really wish Kenneth Braughnah wasn't such a yutz, because his Much Ado is just plain AMAZING. What no one realized in the version of Love's Labour's Lost I saw was that one of the male characters was essentially Benedict all over again, with a few differences, and again failed to bring out his humor. ::sigh:: I should read some shakespeare again, I haven't in years, and since reading Julius Ceaser in college and realising how entertaining it was I had renewed faith that I will actually enjoy most of Shakespeares plays.

Anyway, this will be the second time I've seen As You Like it, or will it be the third... I'd like to do it soon so as to make sure it happens. All those in favor of seeing it tonight? Thursday Night? Friday night?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

I would be all kinds of down for some middleoftheweek Shakespeare action. So long as I know ahead of time, any day should theoretically work for me.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Jay, Doria, Skippy and I are going Friday night to Shakespeare at 8PM.

Also, tomorrow at 8PM Dark KNight at Boston Common for those who haven't yet done that. Buy your tickets in advance.

Also, X-files starts July 25th. I know we have X-files geeks in da house.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Also, X-files starts July 25th. I know we have X-files geeks in da house.
Yes, which is FridayThat’s what I was thinking of doing Friday night, since there were already many people having Shakespeare plans on Saturday( at least, that was what we said at Cake Night). Although, Doctor Who is starting to wind up for the year too. I need TiVo. :-|

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Jay, Doria, Skippy and I are going Friday night to Shakespeare at 8PM.

Also, tomorrow at 8PM Dark KNight at Boston Common for those who haven't yet done that. Buy your tickets in advance.

Also, X-files starts July 25th. I know we have X-files geeks in da house.

You know, I love the X-Files and everything, but I...I'm so not excited about that movie.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Who'd be up for batmanning this weekend? Since you jerks mindlessly following Skippy's desire to be going in the middle of the week have kindly picked a time when I work.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Who'd be up for batmanning this weekend? Since you jerks going in the middle of the week have kindly picked a time when I work.

I'm in.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Who'd be up for batmanning this weekend? Since you jerks going in the middle of the week have kindly picked a time when I work.
Skippy wanted to go in the middle of the week. Not my fault.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

I fixed my post. Better now? :-)
---

(he/him/his)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Also, X-files starts July 25th. I know we have X-files geeks in da house.
Yes, which is FridayThat’s what I was thinking of doing Friday night, since there were already many people having Shakespeare plans on Saturday( at least, that was what we said at Cake Night). Although, Doctor Who is starting to wind up for the year too. I need TiVo. :-|
I was seriously considering going to the midnight x-files after shakespeare.

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Who'd be up for batmanning this weekend? Since you jerks mindlessly following Skippy's desire to be going in the middle of the week have kindly picked a time when I work.
I was just thinking about that last night, actually. Sorry... :-(
Sprocket wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:
Yes, which is Friday. That’s what I was thinking of doing Friday night, since there were already many people having Shakespeare plans on Saturday( at least, that was what we said at Cake Night). Although, Doctor Who is starting to wind up for the year too. I need TiVo. :-|
I was seriously considering going to the midnight x-files after shakespeare.
Hmm... I could stay home for my shows and still go X-Geek after... that might work. And that is after you get off work, gmal, so if you’re into that sort of thing you could come too. We promise not to talk about Batman.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Hey, I'm still going to go see The Dark Knight in IMAX, and I bet a lot of you folks will want to see it a second time on the huuuge screen too. We can do that one when Greg's free. The only IMAX that I'm sure it's playing at is Jordan's in Reading and Natick.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Hey, I'm still going to go see The Dark Knight in IMAX, and I bet a lot of you folks will want to see it a second time on the huuuge screen too. We can do that one when Greg's free. The only IMAX that I'm sure it's playing at is Jordan's in Reading and Natick.

I'm down for that, provided there is transportation.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Same here.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 am UTC

unfortunately I'm all scheduled up for this week/weekend :( but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the works in the coming weeks, so I'm sure I'll be hanging out with everyone again soon!

she/her/hers

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 am UTC

Yeah, I could go for that again on the BIIIIIIIG screen, but also need transport, most likely. Or can provide transport via zipcar if people chip in, but that does get expensive, specially for a long-ass time like that fim takes.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Ok ok, I give in. Dark Knight in IMAX, I'll drive. Sounds fun.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Dibs on a spot in sparky's car. (I assume it is a dibs thing.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

pxocean

Postby pxocean » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:05 am UTC

When would the IMAX show be happening?
- - Whi10y - -

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Re: Cambervillain Unstoppable Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

A note on the IMAX: it's pretty sold out. It looks like you can't get anything (online, at least) in the evenings for at least a week. The only available times are the weekday matinees and the 10:00 AM showings (Which is why I'm going at 4 to Natick today) (That time is sold out as well).

... So if I'm a Warner Brothers executive, when do I start rolling around in giant piles of money?
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Assuming it hasn't yet happened, I'd also be up for a trip to an IMAX.

MD

(And who changed the thread name? It seems to have screwed up my reply notification, although this reply will likely fix it as I have that nifty box checked)

pxocean

Postby pxocean » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Should we go next week, then?
- - Whi10y - -

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

At this rate it looks like it'll take a month.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:At this rate it looks like it'll take a month.

Solution: Democracy.

Everyone who wants to go, vote, and whichever has the most votes by tomorrow is the winning time slot.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”