[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Re: Cambervillain Unstoppable Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby Sandry » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
sm_usagi wrote:It was nice to meet so many people at brunch today. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Further to the LHC discussion, there's a rap up on digg which is hilarious, check it out.

It was wonderful to meet you, I hope we see you again!

I support this idea and/or candidate.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:
sm_usagi wrote:It was nice to meet so many people at brunch today. Thanks for the welcome guys!
It was wonderful to meet you, I hope we see you again!
I support this idea and/or candidate.

Candidate for what? Best accent in the thread? Second!

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:14 am UTC

It was awesome meeting all you guys today!

And yes, sm_usagi's accent wins the thread.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

monkey

Postby monkey » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Thanks all for attending Cake night hosted by us out in Brighton. I know it was a bit of a trek and the pecan pie was a little dissapointing, but we hope you all had a wonderful evening of it. Sorry that some of us dissappeared into our rooms but some had sleep to be had, others work to be done. Regardless, we're all happy you came :D

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:00 am UTC

It was a great night, booze was good and the whole roomie thing with my friend was freaky.

Instead of bobcat, package contained fun. Would buy again.

cb

Postby cb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:32 am UTC

Indeed, thanks for hosting cake night and let me know if any of you want to carpool out to future festivities.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

For everyone's information:

September 14: Cake Night is in JP, because it's Dana's birthday. I'll check with her if I can post her address here, otherwise PM me for it.
September 21: Cake Night is in Somerville, at the Hive, which is where I live (with Belial and Girl and Meaux and Helen and Will).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:For everyone's information:

September 14: Cake Night is in JP, because it's Dana's birthday. I'll check with her if I can post her address here, otherwise PM me for it.
September 21: Cake Night is in Somerville, at the Hive, which is where I live (with Belial and Girl and Meaux and Helen and Will).

I will miss both of these. Darn it, the one time it will be close enough for me to walk. You'll just have to do it at the Hive again some time when I'm back.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Well they're all close enough to walk, if you give yourself enough time. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Like El Salvador.

One of these days I will hold Cake at Skippy's, and it will be of the birthday variety. Unless we can get my karaoke dream going. Then you will all come and you better make arses of yerselves on that stage, DANCE, MONKIES!
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

monkey wrote:Thanks all for attending Cake night hosted by us out in Brighton. I know it was a bit of a trek and the pecan pie was a little dissapointing, but we hope you all had a wonderful evening of it. Sorry that some of us dissappeared into our rooms but some had sleep to be had, others work to be done. Regardless, we're all happy you came :D
Is this the house, the cat, or an individual?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Occupation is listed as science teacher, which suggests it's neither the whole house nor the cat.
---

(he/him/his)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Cat's need science teachers...

gmalivuk wrote:There'll still be people going to dim sum. Everyone will be fine.

Some for dim sum and some for some brunch.
That's what I said "Dim Sum for Some!"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:For everyone's information:

I might even be home! Maybe!

(I think that weekend I plan to be at the Big E.) I could be wrong.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Don't forget to read my signature! It's very important and you should all come!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Cake Night is in JP this week!

268 Chestnut Ave #2
Jamaica Plain, MA

You have to go up the side stairs (to the right of the main door). There will be birthday cheesecake involved, since it's Dana's birthday (and her apartment).

PM me for my or her phone number, if you get lost or whatever.
---

(he/him/his)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Improv show is only $5 and it's tonight!

This is the FIRST time Improv Boston is allowing the level 3 class to do a show (and it may be the last!) COME see the spectacle!

(I'm worse than 'Spore' in the Harvard square T-station)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

So, video project stuff. Here's who has expressed interest, and in what capacity (where known):

CatProximity (Director, Camera)
Bakemaster (Sound and/or second Camera)
PictureSarah (Lighting and/or DP)
EsotericWombat
natraj
studyinserendipity
ADXCKGuy (Talent)
EstLladon (Eccentric Foreign Producer)

I would like to have a pre-production meeting with anyone who's serious about their involvement. This is just an initial planning meeting, and the most important crew position we still need is Location Scout. This wouldn't be a big job, but it would be your responsibility and require a bit of independent work.

I'll be there, Cat will be there, and anyone who wants to be involved in choosing a good comic to use, coming up with a concept, or writing an actual script are welcome to come. It's also fine if anyone wants to only be involved in the production stage of things where actual shooting is going on, as talent or a production assistant or crew. I wanted to do this meeting this coming weekend, but my plans just got shot to hell by unexpected housing issues so next week during the week or next weekend are what I'm looking at now.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So, video project stuff.

I'm game to help in some capacity, but nothing so serious that is more work than fun. Definitely not on camera. Something technical, probably (I'm pretty capable in that area). Also I offer any equipment I may have that needs to be borrowed. But I'm not available until after I get back from Taiwan on Sept 23ish.

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I'm back (to this thread anyway), and I bring tidings of beer! There's an local beer tasting this Saturday at the Muddy Charles Pub- http://bostonlocalvores.org/blog/?p=114. I thought it sounded interesting.

I'm interested in the video thing, at least in the pre-production portion.
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:

I'm game to help in some capacity, but nothing so serious that is more work than fun. Definitely not on camera. Something technical, probably (I'm pretty capable in that area). Also I offer any equipment I may have that needs to be borrowed. But I'm not available until after I get back from Taiwan on Sept 23ish.

If there is too much fun involved it won't be any good.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

There are some things that are work and fun at the same time, and having them be more work doesn't make them less fun. I think film and video shoots are a good example of that sort of thing. Pre- and post-production are actually the least fun, for me, because all the action happens during a condensed period of production, when (in a professional situation) you'll be working 10 to 12 to who knows how many hour days, but you're doing a lot of amazing stuff.

Anyway, I think by organizing this similarly to a professional project, we can still be easygoing and have fun while laying a framework for possibly continuing to do video projects and improving.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 am UTC

As per my usual offer: Tools, Truck and TD services when and if you need them.

spi

Postby spi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:03 am UTC

I would be interested in video fun. I have no experience in such a thing so I will just have to show up to the meeting and see what interests me.

Wikipedia founder JIMMY WALES
with journalist Christopher Lydon
Free Speech, Free Minds, Free Markets:
Competition and Collaboration

Thursday, September 11
6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
C. Walsh Theatre, Suffolk University
Free and open to the public

http://www.fordhallforum.org/

I am going to that tomorrow as Jimmy Wales usually has good things to say, if anyone else is interested let me know.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Improv show is only $5 and it's tonight!
Massive house-cleaning and more in-home flooding( in that order, and the reverse) kept me busy, hope you had a good time.

I would like to have a pre-production meeting with anyone who's serious about their involvement. This is just an initial planning meeting, and the most important crew position we still need is Location Scout. This wouldn't be a big job, but it would be your responsibility and require a bit of independent work.

I'll be there, Cat will be there, and anyone who wants to be involved in choosing a good comic to use, coming up with a concept, or writing an actual script are welcome to come. It's also fine if anyone wants to only be involved in the production stage of things where actual shooting is going on, as talent or a production assistant or crew. I wanted to do this meeting this coming weekend, but my plans just got shot to hell by unexpected housing issues so next week during the week or next weekend are what I'm looking at now.
I’ll be happy to show up for the meeting, offering services as a writer or at least just getting a good sense of the production background.
Bakemaster wrote:There are some things that are work and fun at the same time, and having them be more work doesn't make them less fun. I think film and video shoots are a good example of that sort of thing.
Art in general is a good example of that sort of thing.
spi wrote:I am going to that tomorrow as Jimmy Wales usually has good things to say, if anyone else is interested let me know.
That is indeed interesting. I have more shit to deal with still, but circumstances permitting I would like to see that...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

I'm looking at apartments with Sarah tonight so can't go to wiki thing. Improv was hysterical. You should all go in the future.
Azrael wrote:As per my usual offer: Tools, Truck and TD services when and if you need them.

Touchdown services?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Theater director, if I'm not mistaken.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I rather liked the image of Azrael driving up in a truck, jumping out all in football pads, and running down the street to catch a random football that was thrown from nowhere. Then he would do an inappropriate victory dance. It's not banned in my imagination!

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Theater director, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, I think it is Technical Director. Basically a set construction manager. At least that's what it was when I did a year of it as my major.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Well, I don't anticipate us needing to build any fancy sets or accoutrements, but who knows? Azrael is TD. Make it so, #1.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

I want to do things (RE: movie). I don't know what those things are yet, but I can be useful somehow! Preferably not on camera.

My entire film experience consists of "Enter the Squirrel," a spy/action short film my friends and I made for a class in high school. I was assistant director/cameraman/location scout (in my hometown, so it was easy)/editor/actor.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

We're only going to be using one camera, so we only really need one cameraperson at a time. So, Cat plus a backup if she wants to act as well. I've been certified with the SCAT equipment and feel comfortable as a cameraman but I can't do camera and sound at once, so we need a backup who is not me for one or the other.

Wombat, you're tall and have some knowledge of audio recording, right? Boom operator/backup mixer? When not acting?

Azrael and sparky, you may fight over the gaffer and key grip positions. However, I reserve the right to have Azrael credited "creatively".

Hanners, Huxley, hendu, hatraj, Helen, Hell's Own Belial: If you'd just like to lend a hand with shooting, you are Production Assistants. If you want to be Azrael or sparky's bitch, you may claim the ever-entertaining title of Best Boy. And there's always need for people in front of the camera.
Last edited by Bakemaster on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Hanners, Huxley, hendu, hatraj: If you'd just like to lend a hand with shooting, you are Production Assistants.

Request for inclusion into the above idea somehow. (I am interested in the project, and...neglected to post so. Whoops.)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

I am also interested, though I have little idea as to what the project is exactly. I'm always good for some film.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cb

Postby cb » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I'm also up for a production. I have both theatre tech experience (lights and sound, although I prefer sound) and have been in and around TV production for 5+ years, mainly studio and post-production stuff though..

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

If this filming craziness is happening at a time when I'm available, I would be glad to lend a hand in any way that is needed.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I'll gladly be anyone's bitch because I'm good at following directions and have no idea what I'm doing behind/around a camera. I have more acting cred, though it's musical in nature. So if we need a song and dance number....
HOWEVER! I can only offer my services provided nothing happens the weekend of Nov. 14, when I will be a swollen, drugged-up, wisdom-toothless mess.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Okay, excellent. Having so many people interested is both good and bad. It is good for obvious reasons; it is potentially bad for individuals (not me, ha ha) because it means I'm just going to pick a halfway reasonable time to schedule things happening, and whoever can show up will show up.

Sarah and I have probably nailed down an apartment tonight by enormous good luck, so once I reconnoiter with Cat (ze Supreme Direktor of ze whole sing), I will post when this first pre-production meeting vill be. I mean will be.

Helen, Belial: You have been added to the H-Bombs.

cb, telecontar: I don't know how to make your names cleverly into H names, so use your himaginations.

Scaredcrow

Postby Scaredcrow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Bakey, I can help with sound if needed. Also, we could easily write and record a score for the intro and credits if you'd like. I may work on that.
jmrz wrote:You totally know she's a keeper when she offers to bail you out of jail.

sophyturtle wrote:ice cream sandwiches = happiness wrapped in paper

Nougat says: "scaredcrow: we need more men"

sm_usagi

Postby sm_usagi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Would my accent be too distracting on camera? I'd love to get involved but I (like SIS) only have musical acting experience.

We could turn it into a sing-along blog style thing if we have people writing scores and people willing to sing! :P :lol:

Return to “XKCD Meetups”