[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

Re: Cambervillain Indecipherable Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:56 am UTC

So... anyone know of any interesting fall/Halloween-ish things happening within the general Boston zone over the next week?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

So... those interested in urban exploration and not totally opposed to reddit might want to check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/BostonSocialClu ... ing_11113/ I'm not going, just spreading the word a little.
Djehutynakht wrote:So... anyone know of any interesting fall/Halloween-ish things happening within the general Boston zone over the next week?
Well, there's all this: http://www.thebostoncalendar.com/events ... =halloween - but I'll let you be the judge of "interesting" :P
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Hm.. the Lizzie Borden thing is mildly interesting (and Free)... who knows.

Hm... should invent something of my own creation. But what....

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:So... anyone know of any interesting fall/Halloween-ish things happening within the general Boston zone over the next week?

If you like spicy food, East Coast Grill in Inman is throwing a "Hell-o-ween" event. (Not sure what their availability is at the moment, but they just started taking reservations on Saturday, so there's a chance.)

Also, there's going to be a Halloween shindig at Royale, if that's your cup of tea.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

My friend's in a radio play company that's doing some Halloween themed performances: http://www.huboftheuniverseproductions. ... notld.html
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:So... those interested in urban exploration and not totally opposed to reddit might want to check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/BostonSocialClu ... ing_11113/ I'm not going, just spreading the word a little.

I am holding out for a similar group that isn't full of redditors. Wandering through abandoned places with unsympathetic douchebags is like a recipe for being killed by some sort of sewer mutant or angry ghost.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Belial wrote:
hendusoone wrote:So... those interested in urban exploration and not totally opposed to reddit might want to check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/BostonSocialClu ... ing_11113/ I'm not going, just spreading the word a little.

I am holding out for a similar group that isn't full of redditors. Wandering through abandoned places with unsympathetic douchebags is like a recipe for being killed by some sort of sewer mutant or angry ghost.

Here here.

They might not all be bad, but... a group must be formed. And we need an exorcist or two.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:17 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:There's a great abandoned nunnery that's extremely easy to get into on the Portsmouth/Middletown line, Isaac Hill, that I explored a few years back with some friends when I still lived on the Island. It's off of West Main just south of West Main pizza, if you were interested in driving up to it to check it out. I can probably get in touch with an old friend to grab and post some of the pictures we took there - we had a few shots of pleasantly creepy dust orbs that entertain most people.
Thanks for the heads up. I meant to check it out then reply, but have been lazy. The pictures would be appreciated.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:
Wednesday wrote:There's a great abandoned nunnery that's extremely easy to get into on the Portsmouth/Middletown line, Isaac Hill, that I explored a few years back with some friends when I still lived on the Island. It's off of West Main just south of West Main pizza, if you were interested in driving up to it to check it out. I can probably get in touch with an old friend to grab and post some of the pictures we took there - we had a few shots of pleasantly creepy dust orbs that entertain most people.
Thanks for the heads up. I meant to check it out then reply, but have been lazy. The pictures would be appreciated.

ooooh that sounds like fun!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Djehutynakht

Re: [US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

I thoroughly enjoy that they put an ice sculpture of a Kraken attacking figure skaters at Frog Pond. That was a touch of brilliance.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Anyone heading to Arisia this weekend? Or to Boskone next month? Or Vericon the month after? I'll be at all three, wondering if I'll run into anyone.

At Arisia I'm doing some shifts in Volunteer Lounge, so if anyone is planning on going, drop by and maybe keep me company? :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:00 am UTC

I just had a random idea that this summer at the Revere Sandcastle Competition an xkcd contingent should get together and recreate the Time Sandcastle in real life.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

That'd be pretty impressive if we could manage it. Not sure how skillful we are as a group in that particular endeavor.

Anyone heading to Boskone this weekend? My a capella group is doing a couple performances there, so I'm expecting to be there for most of Saturday and Sunday.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:48 am UTC

Yeah, I don't know either. We might be able to manage it, with a few practice drills. Or show it to some more sand-savvy people and hope that they're inspired to help out.

I mean, it's a decent kind of cultural event. And with the special sand hauled in for the competition (if we got any) it would probably be easier work.

I'm guessing the whole scaffolding thing would be the biggest difficulty however. Probably would need some kind of permission.

123seven3

Postby 123seven3 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 am UTC

Indeed, that would probably break some kind of safety regulations. That said, I live an hour or two's walk from Boston... I would not be averse to doing something like that. Do you know if you need to sign up for the event, or...? Also important to consider is that the comic was done very well in a two-dimensional medium. I question whether this project could be scaled up to three dimensions. While it's easy to assume there were structures behind what is seen, there is no easy way to tell what they might look like.

Also, I will bring my own bucket if you want. :P

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 am UTC

123seven3 wrote:Indeed, that would probably break some kind of safety regulations. That said, I live an hour or two's walk from Boston... I would not be averse to doing something like that. Do you know if you need to sign up for the event, or...? Also important to consider is that the comic was done very well in a two-dimensional medium. I question whether this project could be scaled up to three dimensions. While it's easy to assume there were structures behind what is seen, there is no easy way to tell what they might look like.

Also, I will bring my own bucket if you want. :P

Heh. If it was to be pursued (I suppose we need to find someone who is both a sandcastle and an xkcd enthusiast) then, yes, I think you need to sign up for it. It's mostly a professional competition/exhibition of sorts (each make their own sculpture and everyone also collaborates on a central, large sculpture that has to do with something community-wise... the Boston Marathon or the Red Sox or etc. along with sponsor logos).

I'd guess a Time project would be excluded by both the large non-sand structure as well as it's size (presuming we built to scale). We could try and persuade them to make it the central sculpture maybe. Or just as a special non-competing addition.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I just had a random idea that this summer at the Revere Sandcastle Competition an xkcd contingent should get together and recreate the Time Sandcastle in real life.

That would be really awesome.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

I'm signed up for the Aug 10th Spartan Race, if anyone is interested in getting muddy, I strongly encourage you to do it!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 am UTC

So, PAX is in a month. I will be driving over from Albany, and would love to hang out with/ meet some more of you folks. I had a great time last year when The_EGE hosted me, and would love to meet more of you.

I know a lot of forumnites choose not to go because of reasons, but I wasn't necessarily thinking of meeting up at the con anyways (because crowds and such). I was already planning on skipping at least one of the evening concerts, and wouldn't be opposed to ducking out in the middle of the day for a couple of hours to grab lunch with people or something.

So that gives us a few possibilities. Anyone interested?

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm signed up for the Aug 10th Spartan Race, if anyone is interested in getting muddy, I strongly encourage you to do it!

My brother has been after me to do one of these races sometime, but I'm recovering from a ruptured achilles, so no races for me this year :(
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:So, PAX is in a month. I will be driving over from Albany, and would love to hang out with/ meet some more of you folks. I had a great time last year when The_EGE hosted me, and would love to meet more of you.

I know a lot of forumnites choose not to go because of reasons, but I wasn't necessarily thinking of meeting up at the con anyways (because crowds and such). I was already planning on skipping at least one of the evening concerts, and wouldn't be opposed to ducking out in the middle of the day for a couple of hours to grab lunch with people or something.

So that gives us a few possibilities. Anyone interested?

This sounds like a pretty neat idea. The BCEC is a pretty reasonable walk to Chinatown, where there are several good options for grabbing lunch or dinner. So the con is 4/11 - 4/13, right?

Hm. I have class on 4/12 from 9 - 4, which pretty much shoots lunch for me, and I have a recording slot on 4/13 from 10 - 3, which ditto. Uh. I could probably grab dinner some night? Otherwise maybe other folks would be able to do lunch.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Game Night at the Asylum!
Fri, March 21, 7pm – 11pm
Monthly on the third Friday
Where
Artisan's Asylum: Social Area

Created by
briancj@g.artisansasylum.com
Description
Come down to the Asylum, and play some games! The Asylum has a number of board games, and players are encouraged to bring their own!

Please consider bringing some snacks and beverage to share as well!

Game Night runs from 7pm to...whenever the games are through!

Your Host:

Brian C. Johnson

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:23 pm UTC

Sprocket, that definitely looks interesting, but it looks logistically difficult. Are there usually a bunch of forum people there, or just a few? I can definitely try to get there, but it will take a little bit of work.
Your post says the third Friday -- has it been moved to the 11th because of PAX this April?

I would also enjoy getting dinner and/or alcohol with people some evening.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 am UTC

That was for yesterday. It was unrelated to the pax business.
Last edited by doogly on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am UTC

Oh, oops.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

A coworker of mine has art in this exhibit, the opening reception of which is this Friday at 6pm. I'm probably going, and thought other folks might be interested as well.

MUJERES: Iron Maidens
ON VIEW: March 21 – April 20, 2014

This exhibition explores the often dual nature of feminine strength in modern society- a hermetic, externalized armor, which betrays a tempestuous interior. Selections of local and international artists working in a variety of media respond to themes and intersections of identity, sexuality and nationality.

Artists: Candace Khaokham, Corazon Higgins, Creighton Baxter, Ivette Salom, Joanna Tam, Shey Rivera Ríos, Migdalia Luz Barens-Vera, Verónica Meloni, and Ximena Izquierdo Ugaz.

OPENING RECEPTION: Friday, March 28, 6-9PM with a live performance by ISLANDS and Creighton Baxter.

LA GALERÍA at Villa Victoria Center for the Arts
85 W. Newton Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 am UTC

Oh that sounds neat. I might be there.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 am UTC

Any Marathon-related things anyone?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

I may head down to the finish line later on, but haven't decided yet (only just got out of bed and need coffee yet, so we'll see if I feel more ready to face tons of people after that).

---

In other news, Will and I a looking for a roommate in Somerville for September.

Our current third roommate is buying a house like some kind of adult or something, and the two of us would like to stay where we are but would need a third roommate to be able to afford that. We're in the Davis Square area, about 20 minutes walking from the station but just a few minutes from 3 or 4 bus routes.

PM for more information.

(If we can't find a third for this place with as few degrees of separation as possible (meaning we don't really want to go on craigslist to find random people), we might be convinced to move if the location and company are to our liking. So also potentially let me know if you're part of a pair of people looking for a place.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri May 30, 2014 1:09 pm UTC

As you all may or may not know, our useless lump of a state legislature has failed to act on raising the minimum wage and instituting earned sick time. That means that if we want a minimum wage that's higher than 8 dollars an hour (not to mention indexing to inflation, earned sick time, a tipped minimum wage that's not laughable, etc.), we have to take matters into our own hands and do it at the ballot box. And in order to get it on the ballot this fall, we need to gather a whole bunch of signatures before the middle of June.

I'm going to be doing a bunch of signature-gathering events for Raise Up Massachusetts in Camberville over the next two weeks. So if you have some spare time and meeting lots of people and supporting an important initiative sounds like fun, then PM me and we'll get those clipboards out.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 am UTC

I'd see if I can do anything, but I've been busy poking the General Court in other places, not to mention Boston's city hall.

(Damn Casinos... SJC better pull through..)
Spoiler:
Long story short, I'm an East Bostonian, and they want to plot a Casino here. In order for a Casino to be allowed, both our neighborhood and the adjacent one (Revere) are supposed to vote in the affirmative. We didn't, they did; The Casino owners went "Welp... we'll build it anyways, and the government has decided "why not".

A ballot measure to ban casinos statewide was struck down by AG Martha Coakley (Governor 2014!) on the grounds that we can't vote to take away their "property" (e.g. Casino bid fees/licenses), and her decision is pending appeal in the state Supreme Court.

Anyways, good luck.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Anyone interested in attending the autoclave Open House on Sunday?

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:09 am UTC

PAX East is in like 3.5 weeks! I will be in the Boston area for the con, and would love to meet up with folks as time permits.
I will be an enforcer (volunteer at the con) and this unfortunately means that I won't know my schedule during con hours until right before the event. I will pick a time once I can to meet up outside of the BCEC, probably at a restaurant or something.
Anyone going to be attending?

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 am UTC

Edit/ update: I will be in Boston early, on Thursday, March 5. I would love to meet up between 4-6:30 near the BCEC, or somewhere else as long as I have time to get to the BCEC by ~6:30 or so. Meeting up during the show is also a possibility, but a little harder to wrangle.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

My schedule changed. I can now meet people between 4-6 PM Thursday (near the BCEC), noon-2 or 3 Monday (anywhere near MBTA)
During the convention I will be working Tabletop Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday afternoons. Find the person with half-purple hair and say hi!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

anyone want to go to OSG Paintball in New Hampshire on 4/26?

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 am UTC

I live in Medford now! I'd love to meet you all sometime!
Starting Tuesday I have no schedule so let me know what works

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

We have been known to have a good picnic from time to time, and it's supposed to be a bit cooler by the end of next week.
---

(he/him/his)

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

I'm into picnic-having.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Return to “XKCD Meetups”