[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Cambervillain Indecipherable Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby Azrael » Thu May 21, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:
Azrael wrote:I believe I am the oldest somewhat participating Cambervillain at 28.

Depends on your defintion of "somewhat participating" since I have you in the age department.

Really?

HA. We have a new old dude.

amx126

Postby amx126 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Well then, hooray! I do look forward to possibly meeting you all in the future then.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
jtniehof wrote:
Azrael wrote:I believe I am the oldest somewhat participating Cambervillain at 28.

Depends on your defintion of "somewhat participating" since I have you in the age department.

Really?

Az, when is your b'day?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Sun May 24, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I'm not sure I'll be going, but (in case people are interested) Sunday (today as of a few minutes ago) is the second day of the Faneuil Hall Street Performer Festival. They have guest performances 5-6 and 6-7.

Link: http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/e ... nment.html

MD

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun May 24, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

I've been informed that Freezepop is opening for some other bands tonight at Great Scott in Allston. I don't feel like going, but in case anyone else does:

MAP'D
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 28, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:I've been informed that Freezepop is opening for some other bands tonight at Great Scott in Allston. I don't feel like going, but in case anyone else does:

MAP'D

WOuld have gone.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 28, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

Heavy Metal Bee Gees Cover band!!!!! (Harper's Ferry, Saturday, 8pm, $10)

If the description alone does not excite you enough to come out on Saturday, you should check out:

http://www.letsmaketragedyhappen.com/
or
http://www.myspace.com/letsmaketragedyhappen

They are awesome.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

I just got an email notice that Spencer Tunick is looking for volunteers to be a part of his next intallation. Figures, as soon as I move to the wrong side of the country he does on on the East Coast. I know Long Island isn't Camberville, but if you're into this sort of thing, it might be worth the trip!

Take advantage of a unique opportunity to participate in Montauk, NY for an installation
by artist Spencer Tunick.

Installation to take place on Monday, June 22, 2009

You will only be nude for a short period of time and in exchange for taking part,
you will receive an 8x10 inch limited edition photograph of the artwork created by the artist.

We think that this is a great opportunity for a weekend vacation or adventure. Fill up some hotel rooms with friends and stay overnight
on Sunday to make it to the morning installation on Monday! You can even make it back to work on Monday, albeit a little late.
The installation will be finished on Monday morning approximately at 8am.
Hope you can make an extra effort to come out to Long Island, and be a part of Spencer’s artwork.

The making of the work will take place on a Monday morning and if you are coming from New York City,
The best way to make it to the location, on time in the early morning, will be to stay overnight.
Montauk is approximately 3 hours from Manhattan easily accessible by train, bus or car.
The installation location will be on a beach 10 minutes away from the town of Montauk by car.
You will need a car or call for a taxi to access the beach location.
Please Car Pool.

Please only register if you are seriously considering attending.
We need to get an exact count because of limited numbers allotted by the permit.
After you register with your interest in participating, if you are chosen,
you will be notified two weeks before the art installation with further instructions, location and arrival time.
Sometimes emails end up in your junk email box, so check it weekly.
Kindly hold off on booking any hotels until you have been accepted.

To participate/register, email: projects@spencertunick.com
For Subject, use: PARTICIPATE IN MONTAUK, LONG ISLAND FOR AN INSTALLATION BY ARTIST SPENCER TUNICK

There are space limitations on this installation so after you reply that you
would like to attend, if for any reason you don’t get an email back from us,
it’s only because we filled up the maximum space for this location. We will keep your info
on file for future projects where space limitation will most likely be less an issue.

No Cameras,
No Video,
No Video or Photos with Cell Phones.

PARTICIPANTS ONLY.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Spencer Tunick = NUDITY NUDITY NUDITY!

ejegg

Postby ejegg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:
Azrael wrote:
jtniehof wrote:

Really?

Az, when is your b'day?

Gotcha both beat by 2 years. But then again, I'm only somewhat somewhat participating. Hey, I hung out for an hour on pi day! Would be pretty cool to chill again...

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:15 am UTC

ejegg wrote:Gotcha both beat by 2 years. But then again, I'm only somewhat somewhat participating. Hey, I hung out for an hour on pi day! Would be pretty cool to chill again...

Yes, I agree. Speaking of which, is anyone interested in brunch on Sunday? I was thinking, instead of our usual Johnny D's, trying the new Friendly Toast in Kendall Square. I've heard good things. What do people think?

ADXCKGuy wrote:Oh, yes, that reminds me, tickets for And Then There Were None are on sale now! It’s the first 3 Fridays and Saturdays in June at 8 p.m., you can reserve tickets online at Footlight.org or buy at the box office on show nights with a $1 surcharge. First weekend is $2 cheaper. However you buy please mention my name as there are cash prizes for the cast member with the most family and friends in the audience on opening weekend and throughout the run of the show.
It’s a classic murder mystery staged as sort of a live-action supernatural thriller, very horror-film quality to it.

Also, the time for Ethan's play is approaching. I want to see this, and I'm sure others of you do to. I was thinking probably next Saturday (the 13th), but we don't all have to go to the same show, of course.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:
ejegg wrote:Gotcha both beat by 2 years. But then again, I'm only somewhat somewhat participating. Hey, I hung out for an hour on pi day! Would be pretty cool to chill again...

Yes, I agree. Speaking of which, is anyone interested in brunch on Sunday? I was thinking, instead of our usual Johnny D's, trying the new Friendly Toast in Kendall Square. I've heard good things. What do people think?
THERE IS A FRIENDLY TOAST IN KENDALL SQUARE?!?!?!?! I adore the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth NH, so if it's any relation to that one I would say that's an awesome call. Although, brunch on Sunday means I'm out. well, that and toast isn't so friendly to me anymore.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

So I haven't been checking this thread for the past 2 months/7 pages since I switched coasts. I flatter myself that someone may have said something since then that I was expected to have read. If so, ->PM. Too lazy to check back! (Too busy being awesome? Shoveling dirt! Buying $10 skis and $1 running shirts. Not really that busy. Just lazy. No meetups here, ho hum.)
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

I am signing up here for future things, because being naked is fun. So is getting original prints in exchange for spending time naked.
I am often willing to do this exchange. Since he is not in any way creepy with this, I am so down.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

A bit short notice, but the KONE (Kites Over New England) Regional Festival is this Saturday. It's free and open to the public and should be fun.

I'll be going if anyone is interested in meeting up for it. My plan is to take the Rockport line out of North Station at 8:30 to the Lynn station and walk to the beach/fields from there.

Links:
- http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/artic ... town01.txt
- http://www.kone.org/Festivals.html

Zach

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Hey! I miss you all! Just have been so wrapped up in the play, and I was seeing someone for a while, so I knew if I came in here I would just be sad about missing out on all the fun. And the pain... good luck with your surgery, SIS.

Speaking of the play, thanks so much for the plug, sparky, but in case people missed it:
I am in a play that opens tonight!!!!
Tickets are on sale now! First 3 Fridays and Saturdays in June at 8 p.m.( that’s the 5th-20th).
You can reserve tickets online at Footlight.org or buy at the box office on show nights with a $1 surcharge. This weekend is cheaper by $2. However you buy them, please mention my name( there is a Cast/Crew box if you are ordering online) as there is a competition to fill the most seats. I am currently in the lead, but it is being threatened, so help a fellow geek out! ;-)

The show should be awesome, the dress rehearsals looked great! It stars yours truly and an amazing cast in a classic Agatha Christie murder mystery staged as a supernatural thriller - creepy as hell! A segment which may include a clip of me hamming it up is supposed to air tonight on Neighborhood Network News at 5:30, 9:30 and 11:00 and should even appear on http://www.artsboston.org in the near future. :-D

Bakemaster wrote:So I haven't been checking this thread for the past 2 months/7 pages since I switched coasts. I flatter myself that someone may have said something since then that I was expected to have read. If so, ->PM. Too lazy to check back! (Too busy being awesome? Shoveling dirt! Buying $10 skis and $1 running shirts. Not really that busy. Just lazy. No meetups here, ho hum.)
ADXCKGuy wrote:Facebookers, I still refuse to get my own account but please accept the friend requests of Mary’s kitty cat if you haven’t already. He keeps me up to date on your status and all the latest social goings-on( except if you don’t post any. Nougat).
[...]
Finally, I am doing AIDS Walk Boston in June. If anyone wants to donate, walk together, form a team, or just find out more, go ahead and PM me.

Right... That applies to everyone, but let me just highlight that last part especially again for those that are not Bakey as well: I am doing AIDS Walk Boston this Sunday. If anyone can donate just $5, or even $1, PLEASE either look me up at http://www.aidswalkboston.org by my real name if you know it, or PM/AIM/e-mail/call me for my personal fundraising page if you don’t. AAC has been vital in helping several close friends of mine with HIV/AIDS over the years, and I want to give back as much as I can. Every little bit counts.

Love you all, crossing fingers that I can do a Cake Nite again before July. Come to the show and say hi!

voynich

Postby voynich » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Yeah so I am being pushed further and farther out of the city over the years, from cambridge to somerville and malden. But malden sucks for running into interesting people on the street the same way that Can't abridge does so I have to actually seek out fun.So I hear Jhonny Dee's on Sundae? What time? and how will I know you - do I just look for the fnords? And you know I hate the 108 bus.

sm_usagi

Postby sm_usagi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:I am in a play that opens tonight!!!!

Huzzah! I hope it's going well. May I ask what it is called so I can look it up?

I saw 'Romance' at the A.R.T. on Saturday, I enjoyed it, although the political incorrectness did cross the line a few times. :lol:

voynich

Postby voynich » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
Azrael wrote:
jtniehof wrote:

Really?

Az, when is your b'day?

Well I don't know if I count as participating, and I live in Mawlden, but I am way older than 28. So old that I even have vague memories of Nixon being president. But I am told that I look younger, particurlly when I trim my beard.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:52 am UTC

sm_usagi wrote:
ADXCKGuy wrote:I am in a play that opens tonight!!!!

Huzzah! I hope it's going well. May I ask what it is called so I can look it up?

And Then There Were None

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

Second weekend starts tonight! Starring Cheryl Bellows, me, and a fabulous cast of thousands( if by thousands you mean 18 others).
www.footlight.org/tickets

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

I'll be hitting up another kite festival this Saturday.

http://www.seasidekites.com/local-events/info_10.html is the official event page.

If anyone is interested in going or has questions, let me know (reply, PM, IM, email, phone...).

Zach

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

One of the crew found this EdgeBoston review of our show: http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch= ... e&id=91549 - but come judge for yourself! 4 shows left.

Also, this weekend is gay pride. Happy Pride, all. :-)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 am UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:Second weekend starts tonight! Starring Cheryl Bellows, me, and a fabulous cast of thousands( if by thousands you mean 18 others).
http://www.footlight.org/tickets

I went this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can confidently recommend that you all go see it this final weekend. Now where's my check Ethan? j/k

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Well a bit late, but the video finally made it up on ArtsBoston( whose top ten we made earlier this week) and YouTube

Two shows left, tonight and tomorrow! Tickets at http://www.footlight.org! Hope to see you there.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

It is almost that time again, July 4th. I wanted to bring it up because I really enjoyed the way we did it last year and I hope people are up for doing that again. It will be a bit bittersweet without Bakemaster and PictureSarah, but should still be a lot of fun. For those who weren't there we picked a spot on the Cambridge side, right in the median of Memorial Drive right in front of where the fireworks barge is, we got there early, and we camped all all day playing games, eating food, throwing around a frisbee.

dem

Postby dem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 am UTC

I would love to go to the 4th of July meeting, I just arrived to Cambridge for summer university 4 days ago -it is also my first time in the States- and don't really know the area or many people, so I am very much looking forward to meeting you guys. ( You can add me on msn: cannotcare@hotmail.com )

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 am UTC

Spi and I will unfortunately be in another state for the 4th, so no such fun things for us :(
But! soon my foot will be better (like, in a couple weeks) so you should all be seeing alot more of me!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

studyinserendipity wrote: so you should all be seeing alot more of me!

I dare say we should. You are *entirely* too clothed.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Shut up, Nougat.
--

Clothing swap in Union Square on Saturday. Not sure I can go but I've heard good things about them.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:It is almost that time again, July 4th. I wanted to bring it up because I really enjoyed the way we did it last year and I hope people are up for doing that again. It will be a bit bittersweet without Mr. Bakerstein and PictureSarah, but should still be a lot of fun. For those who weren't there we picked a spot on the Cambridge side, right in the median of Memorial Drive right in front of where the fireworks barge is, we got there early, and we camped all all day playing games, eating food, throwing around a frisbee.

I'm in. Last year was awesome. I vote for the same spot. Should we (like last year) create a separate thread for this?

Also, if it's alright with everyone else, I may bring n friends where n is an unsigned 4-bit integer representing the number of other VMware interns interested in tagging along. Some (many?) of them read xkcd, but I don't believe any of them post on the fora.

Zach

ADXCKGuy

Postby ADXCKGuy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

H.E.L.e.N. wrote:Shut up, Nougat.
--

Clothing swap
MissingDividends wrote:I'm in. Last year was awesome. I vote for the same spot. Should we (like last year) create a separate thread for this?
We could revive( and rename) the old one just like in Arkham...

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

MissingDividends wrote:I'm in.

Spoke too soon.

Plans were changed and I'll no longer be in town for the fourth.

Zach

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Memorial Drive between Ames and Wadsworth was where we were last year, right?

I'm planning on going with some number of friends as well, possibly also up to a 4-bit integer.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Memorial Drive between Ames and Wadsworth was where we were last year, right?

I'm planning on going with some number of friends as well, possibly also up to a 4-bit integer.

Yep, that's the spot. I'll be there with an undetermined number of friends. It's good to know at least some people will be there and not be out of town/other plans. When did people want to meet up? Last year a few of us got there at noon, which was really early, but it enabled us to claim a lot of great space and with games and such it was a fun day.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:It's good to know at least some people will be there and not be out of town/other plans.

Very subtle. :lol:

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:21 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:
sparkyb wrote:It's good to know at least some people will be there and not be out of town/other plans.

Very subtle. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

I was talking about more than just you (although some of my other friends that I was referring to are not from the forums)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

I could probably get there between noon and 1pm again. Got some errands to do beforehand, but I'll bring a tarp to claim some space and a book to occupy myself if no one else is there yet.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Ah damn, Greg, you beat me to posting. Well at least that makes it not a double-post. The weather is beautiful (yay, no rain) and so I'll be there at noon with tarps and blankets and games. Everyone is welcome to come and join us at any point. Feel free to bring snacks or drinks or more people if you want. We'll be on Memorial Drive (the Cambridge side of the river) between Ames and Wadsworth.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:33 am UTC

First of all, some of you might be interested in my pictures from July 4th.

Also, I want to encourage everyone to participate in the Banditos Misteriosos 2nd annual Boston scavenger hunt. I would love to get a big team of us (even if I haven't met you yet) rather than just be paired with a bunch of strangers. And it's my birthday! Please post or PM me if you're interested in joining our group.

Edit: It looks like they want people to sign up ahead of time on their website (linked above) and they want a team name if you're already on a team. I suggest us all putting in "Cambervillains" (and make sure to spell it right).

Return to “XKCD Meetups”