We Sent apocralypse to Boston! (Tank is a sad panda)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Who should be in Boston?

Mighty Jalapeno
27%
Ren
23%
bookishbunny
13%
Tankengine
10%
apocralypse
27%

Total votes: 92

solarchem

We Sent apocralypse to Boston! (Tank is a sad panda)

Postby solarchem » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

Here are my 5 finalists based on...well, I'm not entirely sure. Basically they either offered me beer or food. But you can go back to the original contest thread and see for yourself. Or just ignore all that and vote for the person you like the most.
We'll run this thing for two weeks, which should still give me a couple weeks to make the arrangements for the winner. I think I have to book 30 days out or they gouge me for more miles.

Mighty Jalapeno
apocralypse
Ren
TheTankengine
bookishbunny
Never tell me the odds - Han Solo

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

still working on those cranes. until then, enjoy a video of my friend Jimmy. (i'm not continuing the bribery or entertainment for the contests sake, i just wanted an excuse to post this video. ITS SO COOL!)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... ID=4528657

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

I'm just curious to see how the Ontarian vote pans out. Will they vote for their own in Ren, or will they sabotage her in hopes of making her drive the rest of them?

!

Postby ! » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:I'm just curious to see how the Ontarian vote pans out. Will they vote for their own in Ren, or will they sabotage her in hopes of making her drive the rest of them?

Thing is though, if Ren doesn't win, she will still be there, just with a bit less cash. If MJ doesn't win, well, then there won't be an MJ.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

The same goes for bookish and aparkralypse, doesn't it?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

I still really, REALLY can't believe I'm winning.

Really.

If I can't come, do I concede it to whoever comes in second?

EDIT: And there you have it. I won't be able to fly out of the country until October. I humbly accede my votes to.... well, whoever, I guess. Thank you for actually considering me, though!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Is it a passport issue? Because again, I don't know how it works in Canada, but here if you can show that you have plane tickets purchased, you can sometimes get a little extra rush put on your papers. If it's a passport issue.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Passports don't take anywhere *near* as long to get in Canada as they do in the States. It shouldn't be an issue.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:06 am UTC

10 weeks, according to the website, plus I still need to wait for a birth certificate before I can get the passport.

I'd love to come, SERIOUSLY, but this is short notice, my wife will be seven and change months pregnant, and I'll have to pay off the vacation I just took.

However, I have a plan.... can someone who trusts me enough to send me air-miles send me a mailing address, so I can send along something in my stead? I would like it to make an appearance at the meetup, even if I can't.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:20 am UTC

If the package has holes in it, it's probably a raptor. Call the bomb squad.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Also, the fact that Tankengine has no votes restores my faith in democracy.

If I print out a full-sized photo-paper poster of myself and mail it to someone, can you unroll it, paste it to some backing, and take pictures of me at the get-together? My printer at work can print 42"x150" photo-quality images.

!

Postby ! » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:05 am UTC

Belial wrote:The same goes for bookish and aparkralypse, doesn't it?

Sort of, but their efforts put forth in the other thread make me wonder why they even made the poll. Maybe solarchem's personal preference? But I don't think they deserve a win. It's between Ren and MJ in my books.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:31 am UTC

wait a second... if ren wins the trip, arent we going to be missing a LOT of other ontarians?

anyway i voted for MJ. i'm stuck in "really want to go but probably cant anyway" unless i could get away with tellingmy boss "going to Boston, brb lol".

i dont think it would work.

*edit* then again i dont plan on working here forever... *gets back to folding*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

!

Postby ! » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:49 am UTC

apocralypse wrote:wait a second... if ren wins the trip, arent we going to be missing a LOT of other Canadians?

fixed. if their plans work out, I'll be flying from Alberta to join them.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 am UTC

And meta's coming from Montreal. So really, just the one Ontarian right now, unless jgcrawfo or Devilsaur want to come.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:10 weeks, according to the website, plus I still need to wait for a birth certificate before I can get the passport.

I'd love to come, SERIOUSLY, but this is short notice, my wife will be seven and change months pregnant, and I'll have to pay off the vacation I just took.

However, I have a plan.... can someone who trusts me enough to send me air-miles send me a mailing address, so I can send along something in my stead? I would like it to make an appearance at the meetup, even if I can't.

So let me get this straight. You want me to walk around Boston carrying a life size cut out of some random Canadian?
I've got no problem with giving you an address, but make sure you've thought this through first. I can almost guarantee that there will be multiple photos of 'you' in compromising positions throughout Boston.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

Hey! Further reasons to vote for Ren!

You can use air miles on car rentals.
Therefore: if I win, I shall put them towards renting a car.

OCR

Postby OCR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:So let me get this straight. You want me to walk around Boston carrying a life size cut out of some random Canadian?
I've got no problem with giving you an address, but make sure you've thought this through first. I can almost guarantee that there will be multiple photos of 'you' in compromising positions throughout Boston.

this is full of so much win it hurts.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

! wrote:

Sort of, but their efforts put forth in the other thread make me wonder why they even made the poll. Maybe solarchem's personal preference? But I don't think they deserve a win. It's between Ren and MJ in my books.

One of them can't go even if he wins, and one of them will be there whether she wins or not, so....yeah. So neither of them register on my vote-o-scope. Sorry Ren and MJ

They/them

OCR

Postby OCR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

the 'lushbunny' wanted to do a pub crawl that may or may not be filled with mom jokes. It was hard not to vote for that kind of stance, despite there being no bunny artwork involved in her application.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:So let me get this straight. You want me to walk around Boston carrying a life size cut out of some random Canadian?

Well, who hasn't wanted a picture of their likeness giving George Washington's horse head?

... or the bronze flower guy right outside Davis T stop. Convenient AND creepy.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

GOod point. Nevermind.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
! wrote:

One of them can't go even if he wins, and one of them will be there whether she wins or not, so....yeah. So neither of them register on my vote-o-scope. Sorry Ren and MJ

*smiiiiiiiiiiile*

*grimace*

*smile*

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Why don't I have any votes?

You guys totally suck.

Perhaps if I tell the story and show pictures of my GIANTFUCKINGBRUISE on my leg I will get e-points. This is soon to come.

EDIT:Man, I don't even have 1 vote! Obviously rigged.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Why don't I have any votes?

If you combine Belial's vote-o-scope exclusions with the fact that you're not female, you might be on to something.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:

If you combine Belial's vote-o-scope exclusions with the fact that you're not female, you might be on to something.

AND you suck. Lest ye forget.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

You guys totally suck.

Perhaps if I tell the story and show pictures of my GIANTFUCKINGBRUISE on my leg I will get e-points. This is soon to come.

EDIT:Man, I don't even have 1 vote! Obviously rigged.

:(

*hugs*

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

Yay, Ren is teh winnar!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

HAH!

Tank now has one vote.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Happy! Happy!! Happy!!!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

... who voted for me again?!? Now we're tied. STOP IT.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Should i vote for myself or someone else?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Happy! Happy!! Happy!!!

One small catch. I'm not exactly sure how to transfer miles, or how long it would take. Sometimes what seems like a simple administrative task requiring only a couple keystrokes is transformed by the airlines into a test worthy of Hercules requiring several weeks and multiple bitchy phone calls. Not to mention the fact that if you're not old enough to rent a car having the miles wouldn't help you.

So, assuming you hold on for the win I think you'll be flying. Which is good for you, bad for your fellow Ontarians.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Goddamn.
Oh well. There's always a slim chance something could be worked out.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

My miles are with the StarAlliance network. I don't any function on their site or of my primary carrier that allows me to just send miles somewhere. I can book flights in anyone's name, but that's about it.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

Damn it, I really like most of those people...I can't vote on one!

Ok, Tankengine Ren Bookish and Mighty. Appeal to me. Tell me why I should vote for you.

No offense apocralypse, but I haven't had any lengthy exchanges with you, and Tankengine might take me out in a proverbial row boat and shoot me, cutting my ties with the family if I don't vote for him.

[edit] I may have to vote for Tank, only because he is a Mod, and thus should be there. Belial should also be there, but I think he's just going to come. plus, mighty's got kids to feed and can't be running off to Boston.

Maybe I should base it on whose most likely to help geeks get laid.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

I have a broken heart. Getting out of this town, even for a few days, would help me sooooooooo much! [/pity play]

I've also got the crane thing (hey, it was my idea!). I can't juggle fire or bring a giant hamster ball, but I'll bring a couple of jokes, which I will tell badly but with great theatrics!

Also, if you send me a monologue, I will perform it for the group (if you send it to me in time).

I didn't vote because I'm a candidate (which I still can't believe!). Good luck to all!!!

Edit: Oh. I didn't see it had already been chosen! :(

Congrats, Ren!
Last edited by bookishbunny on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

I may have to vote for Tank, only because he is a Mod, and thus should be there. Belial should also be there, but I think he's just going to come.

Indeed. I already planned to come, and I already had a way to get there, so I didn't enter.

They/them

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Where does it say Ren's been chosen?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

I saw where MJ said so, she was "Happy!" and then solarchem was talking about logistics, then there's the GIGAMOUS lead.

On second review, I may have jumped to a conclusion. :oops:
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”