[AUS] Sydney: home of the Kurnell Desalination Plant

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

Depends what time, really. For gigs and stuff (post 6pm) you will definitely 100% get carded if you are under 50. Prior to that time about half the people there are underage and ordering drinks. It's the dichotomy of the world we live in. And by "world we live in" I mean "Sydney Uni".

So, yeah. I would guess we'd want to mirror the time and date in the comic, right? So does that mean 2:38pm our time or their time? (note that 2:38pm their time is 4:38am our time)
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:43 pm UTC

Hehehe. Nothing in the world is getting me out of bed and partying at 4:38am. We can just be a little earlier, or something.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Hehehe. Nothing in the world is getting me out of bed and partying at 4:38am. We can just be a little earlier, or something.

Wuuusssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm up for it. Manning would be fine. If this conversation was happening a decade ago I'd be all "century tavern, CENTURY TAVERN", but as its not and that place sucks now, I can only agree with what other people suggest, so long as its not trendy or pricey or some other kind of exclusive.

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:04 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Hehehe. Nothing in the world is getting me out of bed and partying at 4:38am. We can just be a little earlier, or something.

Man I seriously doubt Manning Bar is open a 4:38 anyway. It's a shame it's a Sunday, not a Saturday, we could have gone to Purple Sneakers for the real event.

But yeah, I agree with the no 4:38am thing on a Sunday. Some of us have to go to work/uni on Monday (although if it was uni, I guess you'd already be there.)
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 am UTC

Do some of us? I know it's in the middle of school holidays, and it's in the middle of my midsemester break. Macquarie has two weeks break though, so I don't know where it falls for anyone else.

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

Mac breaks are always at strange times. Um, I have no idea if I have a break there; though technically I don't go to Sydney Uni, I go to JMC Academy. It's a stone's throw, though, so I still end up spending loads of time there.

Anyways, I still have to go to work. There's a serious chance others do too. Anyways I made a facebook event for it. Why? BECAUSE, THAT'S WHY.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 am UTC

Alright. Who works full time, guys?

If enough people work full time we might do it on the Saturday and just be super-early.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:54 am UTC

Awwww that sounds so awesome. Damn it sucks to live in tas atm. Also 23rd is in the middle of school for me so there's absolutely no way I can come.

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Alright. Who works full time, guys?

If enough people work full time we might do it on the Saturday and just be super-early.

Hang on: why? You can't have drinks on a Sunday arvo if you're planning to go to work the next day? I work on Mondays too, so I'm not planning to get rotten or anything. Keep in mind this is at 2:30 in the afternoon.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:59 am UTC

It's at 2:30 in the afternoon in Boston. The idea was to have it as close to the actual time as possible, which for all practical purposes would be Saturday night.

I guess we can make it 2:30 Sunday afternoon if that's better for everyone. I do not really know how much of an everyone there actually is.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 pm UTC

I'm definitely part of the everyone. 2:30pm on the sunday will be easiest for most people methinks and I say we make the place the Manning bar at sydney uni.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

After a brief MSN conference, 2:30pm Sunday it is. It does make a fair amount of sense.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 am UTC

I keep deciding to go, then deciding not to go, then deciding to go and so on and so forth. I've had an offer that I can crash at a friends place in Darlinghurst. Is that anywhere near this shindig?

Either way, it's a lot of flying on a plane, and at least one day of missed work when we are already a person short at the moment.

Hmm.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:30 am UTC

Darlinghurst is inner-city, so it should be good. That's all I've got, I am a western suburbs lady.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:55 am UTC

yeah, i'm not sure we've absolutely settled on a venue, but city is likely, and darlinghurst is right in there, so it shouldn't be a problem.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:34 am UTC

Man, it is even September now. I really need to get off my arse about this and actually try to organise something, hey!

I do not know anything about Manning Bar, being a Macquarie student. I don't see why it would not be open Sunday afternoon, but just in case, are there any other pubs around the city that might be good?

gormster

Postby gormster » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

It's open all weekend.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:20 pm UTC

Excellent. Then Manning it shall be, yeah?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:04 pm UTC

Agreed. I'll be there with bells on, and probably other apparel as well.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

Sounds good. Where is a good spot to meet there?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

Probably the easiest would be the footbridge over city road. Manning is tucked away inside the campus, but the footbridge is a pretty easy to achieve landmark. The best map reference I can give is that its near where Butlin Ave intersects city road.

damienthebloody

Postby damienthebloody » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 am UTC

the footbridge itself will probably be closed. how about the bus stop on city road, beneath the footbridge, in front of the gates themselves?
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:13 am UTC

What's the stop called? i.e., what do I have to tell the nice bus driver to get them to drop me off right there? (Also, which bus?)

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:47 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:the footbridge itself will probably be closed.

wtf? Really? Is it under repair or something like that? Anyway...

If you look here

http://www.sydneybuses.info/regionalmaps.php

then you can see the link for the (pdf of the) Sydney uni map. You want stop F, I believe, though you'd say something like "the wentworth building at sydney uni" I expect. And the buses look like 42[anything] from railway square (which is one of the places that buses leave from near central station, the other being eddy ave. which you don't want).

I'll be getting off the train at redfern and walking though. Its quite close (5 or 10mins I think) and its a much nicer place than people tend to think it is.

gormster

Postby gormster » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:the footbridge itself will probably be closed. how about the bus stop on city road, beneath the footbridge, in front of the gates themselves?

Wait, what? Do you mean the footbridge theatre or the bridge itself? I don't get how a bridge can be closed.

jestingrabbit wrote:And the buses look like 42[anything] from railway square (which is one of the places that buses leave from near central station, the other being eddy ave. which you don't want).

There's a list of buses you can take to Sydney Uni posted all over Railway Square. Everyone? You want the buses going to Sydney Uni via Parramatta Road, NOT City Rd.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:46 am UTC

gormster wrote:There's a list of buses you can take to Sydney Uni posted all over Railway Square. Everyone? You want the buses going to Sydney Uni via Parramatta Road, NOT City Rd.

Why? The place I'm talking about is on City Road, not Parramatta Road. I know there's a footbridge there, but there's also one over City Road, near the Wentworth building, and that's where I'm sugesting we meet.

If people would rather meet at the Parramatta one, that's fine, but we need to make an agreement very soon.

damienthebloody

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:54 am UTC

The footbridge over city road (not the one at the footbridge theatre, that's on parramatta rd) is generally chained off over the weekend, because the wentworth building is closed on weekends. i guess we could still meet on it, though.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:56 am UTC

*blinks*

Guys, I only know Wynyard, so for this I will go where you all tell me to go as long as you tell me where to go in a way where I won't get lost or distressed.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

ok, damien, i'm meeting you somewhere like circular quay at noon and you can get us there, righto?
i don't know syndey, and every time i've tried to find my way around there i've got completely disoriented and lost.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 pm UTC

I know Circular Quay; I can come to Circular Quay too?

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:37 pm UTC

ok, you can also be my native guide.
sweet deal.
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
TMT4L

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Yeah, I can do the other half of the city. :P

Seriously though, I know Wynyard, Circular Quay, the Rocks. I do not know Redfern, Newtown, St James, Museum and everything I know in Central I find by accident.

damienthebloody

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

no worries - i'll meet you guys at the end of the city you know and take you to where you need to be.

gormster

Postby gormster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Ah right, I just assumed the Parra footbridge cos it's closer to Manning.

To anyone worried about getting there:
The city is actually really easy to get around if you just stop and look at the signs. If all you know is Circular Quay or Wynyard, then take a train to Central; avoid the buses if you can.

I'll admit Central Station is a bit of a maze but if you follow the signs for Railway Square (or the Devonshire St Tunnel) then you should be alright.

Once you're at Railway Square, as I said, there is a list of buses going to Sydney Uni. If you take one going via Parramatta Rd, then it's pretty easy to spot where you're getting off (massive footbridge; a couple of stops after Broadway shopping centre.)

Go up the stairs into the uni and continue straight on - in front of you there's a tunnel covered in graffiti. This is the Graffiti Tunnel. Just go straight through it and keep going straight when you get out of it over some more stairs; you will essentially walk straight into Manning.

In other thoughts:
How the hell are we going to recognise each other? I'd say there probably aren't any people at Manning Bar at 2.30 in the afternoon on a Sunday but I would have thought there wouldn't be anyone there at 9.30am on a Monday either and I was wrong about that.

I'm thinking come as your favourite character.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Yeah, one of my biggest fears about rocking up to this thing is getting hopelessly lost in Sydney and having to ask people if they are raptors or know where the xkcd meet is, as I have never been to Sydney. Well, technically I have had a stopover at the airport once, so unless we meet there I'm in new territory.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:26 am UTC

gormster wrote:How the hell are we going to recognise each other? I'd say there probably aren't any people at Manning Bar at 2.30 in the afternoon on a Sunday but I would have thought there wouldn't be anyone there at 9.30am on a Monday either and I was wrong about that.

Hahahaha, I could bring my avatar!

Anyway, ignore most of my ramblings about not knowing Central/Redfern, I just remembered I am taking 'Borg with me and he knows the area pretty well. tarkadal, I am sure someone can meet you and help you if you go to either Central or Circular Quay! I could even help you, in that you can follow me following 'Borg.

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 am UTC

tarkadal wrote:Yeah, one of my biggest fears about rocking up to this thing is getting hopelessly lost in Sydney and having to ask people if they are raptors or know where the xkcd meet is, as I have never been to Sydney. Well, technically I have had a stopover at the airport once, so unless we meet there I'm in new territory.

Shit, man, I only just looked at where you live. Perth?! That's a lot of freaking money just to meet some internet randoms.

Um, so, pretty much all public transport in Sydney ends up either in the city or near a train station or both. Once you're on a train things get much simpler.

Also! Here is an incredibly useful website for getting around in Sydney: http://www.131500.com. It plans your trip for you on public transport.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Shit, man, I only just looked at where you live. Perth?! That's a lot of freaking money just to hang out in a bar.

That's a little more like it, actually. I should check up on what a plane ticket is worth and flight times to see how much I really want to go.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:32 am UTC

well, i think i could probably make a [citation needed] sign to carry around.
or we could all make nametags with something xkcd on them! that would be nifty.
TMT4L

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:51 am UTC

We could all draw a stick figure and... show it to people walking by?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”