Can someone write me an algorithm?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Punkroc

Can someone write me an algorithm?

Postby Punkroc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 am UTC

I'm not good at math. I was lazy in high school and did the bare minimum to pass algebra II and then proceeded to go to an art school for a year (where I took no academics) and then drop that to become a medic in the military. I have a friend who was joking about creating an algorithm for The First Thing People Usually Notice About Me. It was a section on a dating site he was on. I've always thought it would be funny to write an actual algorithm for that and I went through every xkcd but couldn't find something similar to it. Anyone want to help me out?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Can someone write me an algorithm?

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

What is "The First Thing People Usually Notice About Me", and what is it that you need help with developing?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

A friend of mine is a web developer, and will periodically discuss programming woes as he's figuring things out. We have a running joke wherein I say "Just make a button that does that". You know, a button, to do the thing you want to do. How hard can it be?

By joke I mean 'makes him want to stab me'.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Punkroc

Postby Punkroc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Oh god. I was so drunk when I wrote this.
My friend and I were discussing his online dating life. There is a section on his profile called "The first thing people usually notice about me". People usually put something along the lines of "My eyes" "My hair" "My voice" ect. He was joking last night about writing a funny algorithm, much like some of the stuff on xkcd. I guess I thought it would be a good idea to post here and ask someone to write one for me. Haha.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

I'm still not clear on what the algorithm should take as inputs and outputs. Are you asking for it to output a trait that people notice first? Based on what information? If you want an algorithm that just spits out a random body part based on no input at all, just list the parts and pick one of them with the rolls of a couple dice (depending on how many parts you're listing).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Punkroc

Postby Punkroc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Hmm. Output would be what people noticed first. It could also be a personality trait. What if the first thing you noticed about someone was how nice they were? Or how helpful they were?

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Tada:

Code: Select all

import body, mind, random
thingsPeopleMightNotice = body.getBodyParts() + mind.getPersonalityTraits()
print random.choice(thingsPeopleMightNotice)

I'll show myself out now.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

fishfry

Postby fishfry » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:A friend of mine is a web developer, and will periodically discuss programming woes as he's figuring things out. We have a running joke wherein I say "Just make a button that does that". You know, a button, to do the thing you want to do. How hard can it be?

Back in the day we used to call that a DWIM function -- "Do what I mean." Of course that's a joke based on the fact that in programming you have to be insanely specific and literal to get the computer to do what you want.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:37 am UTC

I think OKCupid used to (or possibly still do) have stats on that sort of thing that basically amounted to looking through all the users entries for that section (or a similar one) looking for certain keywords/phrases. If you had access to that sort of data I'm sure someone could do that sort of thing.

If instead you mean what the first thing people notice about you specificly is, you could perhaps set up some sort of eye tracking camera to wear and see where people first look, but the answer you'd most commonly get would probably be "My eye tracking set up that allows me to determine what people first notice about me".

Return to “Mathematics”