Question about differential equations!

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

evinda

Question about differential equations!

Postby evinda » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Hi!! I am looking at some exercises and got stuck at this one:

If the graph of the solution u of the differential equation [math]y''-4y'+29y=0[/math] intersects the graph of the solution v of the differential equation [math]y''+4y'+13y=0[/math] at the point (0,0),find u,v so that: (see attachment)

I found that u=c1*e^(2x)*sin(5x)+c2*e^(2x)*cos(5x) and v=d1*e^(-2x)*sin(3x)+d2*e^(-2x)*cos(3x)

and I thought that u(0)=v(0),because the graphs intersect at the point (0,0) and I got that c2=d2=0.

Is it right so far??And how can I continue?
Attachments
dif.gif
dif.gif (898 Bytes) Viewed 2116 times

flownt

Re: Question about differential equations!

Postby flownt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

You probably made a slight mistake in posing the problem, because as it stands, limx->oo v=0 and limx->oo u=oo which means that automatically limx->oo v4/u=0

You might've swapped the -4y' and 4y' or u and v

evinda

Postby evinda » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

flownt wrote:You probably made a slight mistake in posing the problem, because as it stands, limx->oo v=0 and limx->oo u=oo which means that automatically limx->oo v4/u=0

No,I think that u and v are right..I have checked them again...Maybe,I don't have to find u and v,by solving the differential equations that are given,but with another way?
Because,the exercise asks me to find u and v,so that we have the result from the attachment above :?:

tooyoo

Postby tooyoo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:54 am UTC

evinda wrote:Is it right so far??And how can I continue?

It's what I got. However, something must be wrong, or you need to do something pretty damn fancy. I asked mathematica to compute the limit and didn't get anything sensible.

flownt

Postby flownt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:25 am UTC

I agree that as posed you're heading in the right direction, but independent of the constants, your limit already is 0 instead of 5/6, so the problem as it stands is ill posed.

This does assume real (and not complex) x, but I think that is a safe assumption. Taking the limit x to 0 seems sane, are you sure that is not in fact the question?

Demki

Postby Demki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

flownt wrote:You probably made a slight mistake in posing the problem, because as it stands, limx->oo v=0 and limx->oo u=oo which means that automatically limx->oo v4/u=0

Actually, limx->oo u(x) is undefined because of the sin(x) part, the value of u fluctuates between positive and negative numbers, and sometimes 0. The limit is not defined, even if you move it to the denominator.
(The limit is not positive infinity because for each M>0 there is no N>0 such that for each x>N, u(x)>M. The same applies for negative infinity, just change the '>'s to '<'s.)

You must've copied/read the question wrong, either at the differential equations or at the limit requirement.

Return to “Mathematics”