Question about T^2 and Q Residuals...

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

dangdongho1

Question about T^2 and Q Residuals...

Postby dangdongho1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 am UTC

What a doozy, right? :)

First, let me say, I am by no means a chemometrician. I'm a Chemist by schooling and trade, but I'm having some difficulty coming up with a "real-world" explaination for what Q Residuals and T^2 actually "tell you" about a sample set.

My predicament:

I've collected 5 spectra of 3 different liquers (Cointreau, Southern Comfort and Knob Creek) and put them through the Eigenvector Solo ringer. After minimal pre-processing (only doing Mean Centering), if I plot Q Residuals (y-axis) versus T^2 (x-axis) I get the below:

What "real-world" statement can I say about the liquors, based on the plot? Is it correct to say that there is little separation within the model (the T^2 is practically the same for all 3)? Can I say that because there is separation across Q (the y-axis), I can tell the 3 liquors apart from one another?

At the end of the day, what is T^2 and Q actually telling me about this particular group of samples? Thanks for any help!

Eebster the Great

Re: Question about T^2 and Q Residuals...

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:55 am UTC

Can I ask what study requires you to compare triple sec, bourbon, and bourbon-based liqueur? The premise is more exciting to me than the statistics.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Re: Question about T^2 and Q Residuals...

Postby doogly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Return to “Mathematics”