TI-Nspire

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

How do you feel about the upcoming TI-Nspire "family"?

Those are some sexy, sexy, calculators: I want one.
35%
I'll stick with my current calculator(s).
47%
I'm lame, so I don't care about calculators.
13%
Otter/Duck
5%

Total votes: 95

Alpha Omicron

TI-Nspire

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:50 am UTC

Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Govalant

Re: TI-Nspire

Postby Govalant » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:56 am UTC

Me too. The intro was great too. They sure know how to sell stuff to me.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

hobbesmaster

Postby hobbesmaster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:52 am UTC

From an engineering student's standpoint, the ti-89 remains the far superior calculator, due to having a much better computer algebra system (TI itself says so).

I look forward to a rebuilt ti-89 around a more modern processor such as an ARM9 (thats what the inspire is based on from what I recall). I mean the 68k in there now is usually fine, but my 89 grinds to a halt when manipulating matrices with complex numbers and in vector calculus (why doesn't AMS have built in fuctions for gradient, curl, divergence and laplacian?).

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 am UTC

I'll stick with my calculator (pictured at left).

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:57 am UTC

I vote for voyager 200+, and since my 89 is now completely shot, I may get one. (they have an internal clock! and color screen!)

jaimeastorga2000

Postby jaimeastorga2000 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:42 am UTC

I'm either getting a TI-Nspire with CAS or a TI-89 (titanium or regular) when I go to college, seeing as how my current TI-84+ is lent from the school.

I am holding out to see what the developments are. I am not in a rush; I don't graduate until next year, and until then, my 84 will serve just fine. XD
"Screw the rules, I have money!" ~ Seto Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

TI-83Plus FTW!

Still have it from grade 10. Ohhh the memories.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Yeah, my 89 is on loan, so I'm thinking of buying an Nspire CAS and then running an 89 emulator.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Sum Ergo Sum

Postby Sum Ergo Sum » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

I was in a focus group for the TI-Nspire. Stick with your TI-89s, everybody. If you don't have one, purchase a TI-89, then stick with it.

I think everyone in the group I was in (it was at a math competition) was annoyed when one of the people in the group noticed you couldn't program with the TI-Nspire keypad, and the presenter replied "well, you're not our target audience."

GBog

Postby GBog » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Bah! Give me simple scientific calculator which supports everything up to hyperbolic functions and complex numbers, Karl Rottmann's Mathematische Formelsammlung and a decent supply of paper, and I don't need your fancy TI-Nspire.

Ok, slightly more seriously: Is the handheld TI-Nspire not programmable? In that case, I'd much rather stick with my TI-83 Plus, or buy a TI-89. Except, of course, the only calculator I'm allowed to bring to exams is HP-30S, and that I less and less frequently do mathematics where calculators are an asset.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

GBog wrote:Karl Rottmann's Mathematische Formelsammlung

What's so good about that one? Couldn't find any previews.

Sum Ergo Sum

Postby Sum Ergo Sum » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

GBog wrote:Ok, slightly more seriously: Is the handheld TI-Nspire not programmable? In that case, I'd much rather stick with my TI-83 Plus, or buy a TI-89. Except, of course, the only calculator I'm allowed to bring to exams is HP-30S, and that I less and less frequently do mathematics where calculators are an asset.

I'm pretty sure, at least in the original, the TI-Nspire only had programming functions with the TI-84 keypad, and I'm not sure about the CAS, though Wikipedia says it also has limited programming capabilities. Either way, I suspect the programming won't be anywhere near as accessible on the TI-Nspire as it was on the 80 series.

Supposedly, they're releasing an OS release to help this, but either way, I think you're better off buying an 89, especially if you're seriously into math- the TI-Nspire seems geared more towards high school students, and I think the CAS still won't be as good as an 89. It's subjective, though, so choose what you want.

C222

Postby C222 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:55 am UTC

I got a ti-89 titanium for this year and i love it. I'm staying with it and all of the apps i upload.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

Solution: I'll buy one each of the Nspire CAS and the 89.
I love TI calculators anyway.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

I have an 89, but use my 83 more often. Not that that's saying much, because physics at my level doesn't involve many numbers :-\

GBog

Postby GBog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:

Well... nothing, really. I'm sure every decent university-level formulae book is equivalent. It's just that Rottmann has been a faithful companion of NUST (Norwegian University of Science and Technology) and NIT (It's predecessor, Norwegian Institute of Technology) students for many years.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

GBog wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:

Well... nothing, really. I'm sure every decent university-level formulae book is equivalent. It's just that Rottmann has been a faithful companion of NUST (Norwegian University of Science and Technology) and NIT (It's predecessor, Norwegian Institute of Technology) students for many years.

Okay, the equivalent book at my university (and I guess in most Swedish unis) would be http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Handb ... 3540655697 . Never really had much use of it though. The tables of integrals and transforms have helped save time during some physics exams.

Unakau

Postby Unakau » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

I think it looks great. I think I'll stick with my TI-89 Titanium until college, though.

pingu

Postby pingu » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:32 am UTC

My maths C teacher was sent one of these to test, and he told me to use it for the term to assess it as to its usefulness for our course. I can imagine one being useful, just for checking certain things...but definitely not for every student. 84s reign supreme in our school.

(I was reviewing it for what we use it for though..keep that in mind)

Unakau

Postby Unakau » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

My math teacher has given me his for the weekend. Does anyone know some cool things that I can try out?

maafy6

Postby maafy6 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

The 89 was nice, especially when I was doing stuff with matrices. As for less powered calculators, I very much preferred the 86 to the 83. Things like the Voyager brick just looked more obnoxious and unnecessary than anything else.

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:I vote for voyager 200+, and since my 89 is now completely shot, I may get one. (they have an internal clock! and color screen!)

You can get colors with a TI 83 as well! There are methods to overload the screen pixels, which give you blue lines :P
There's a chance they won't go away after that though :P

You can also simulate greyscale by flipping pixels on and off fast enough :)

High school was fun :P

ST47

Postby ST47 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:39 am UTC

You know, I was actually looking at these the other day, specifically in comparison to the 89 titanium - I'll be getting a calculator, probably for christmas, and I currently have the 83 plus. I don't really get what this CAS is, but the Nspire CAS supposedly won't be out for another year - I'd rather just get the 89 Titanium, though, yes, the Nspire does look nice, limited programming abilities - I've had my 83 since 8th grade (this is my 4th year) and I've become quite used to my programs - saves a huge amount of time on tests.

Unakau

Postby Unakau » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:20 am UTC

The 89 Titanium is supposed to have a superior CAS to the nspire CAS, anyway. From playing with my teacher's npsire this weekend, I love my 89 more than this, as the simple interface is exactly what I love about TI.

tonya_h

Postby tonya_h » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

TI-Nspire CAS is out now. Google it.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

tonya_h wrote:TI-Nspire CAS is out now.

[citation needed]
tonya_h wrote:Google it.

None of the results tell me that the CAS has been released.

TemperedMartensite

Postby TemperedMartensite » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

None of my classes will allow me to use a programmable calculator anymore. Heck in all of my calculus/diffeq courses I was never allowed to use a calculator period!

So really, this would serve no purpose except to look pretty and use at home. Still...it does look pretty cool....

If it can do a fast fourier transform I'll get it :P

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

I find that I'd rather like a hideous, yet intelligent calculator. Beauty is skin deep. :)

I wish my TI-84 had complex graphing capabilities.

ACF

Postby ACF » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

I have a ti89 titanium. It was mismarked at the store, I'd guess ($100.90 instead of probably $190)--I was fucking psyched. It's fine for me, I probably won't be getting another calculator anytime soon. Pirated Maple 11 is good enough for me! ;-P

[edit:] But I would like to read some sort of independent review of the calculator, preferably by someone who knew their stuff, whose writing was geared towards people who knew their stuff, and didn't work for ti.

[edit again:] Fixed the second there to a their. On any other forum I would have left it, but here I just can't somehow.

jaimeastorga2000

Postby jaimeastorga2000 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
tonya_h wrote:TI-Nspire CAS is out now.

[citation needed]
tonya_h wrote:Google it.

None of the results tell me that the CAS has been released.

I found one in amazon, but it has been offering it for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments ... 588&sr=8-1

Also, my friend Leo had a TI-Nspire with CAS on Friday. He doesn't recommend it, though. XD
"Screw the rules, I have money!" ~ Seto Kaiba, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

More likely to buy a Voyage 200 to go along with my 89 and my 85.

I love my 85 sooooo much. It's been through a lot with me.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Some eBay stores are selling them, apparently.

I'll get one for Newtonmas, I think. I like the TI-89 I have on loan, but I would like more speed and don't mind decreased programming capabilities too much (they say they may add more programming capability in firmware updates).

And they're so pretty.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:08 am UTC

I want one so bad. If anyone knows where in Australia(That isn't online) where I can get one that would be awesome and they'd have my eternal gratitude. I've looked -everywhere- nowhere has them.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Yesila

Postby Yesila » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

I think I'll stick with the good ol' hp48. RPN forever.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

hobbesmaster wrote:From an engineering student's standpoint, the ti-89 remains the far superior calculator, due to having a much better computer algebra system (TI itself says so).

I look forward to a rebuilt ti-89 around a more modern processor such as an ARM9 (thats what the inspire is based on from what I recall). I mean the 68k in there now is usually fine, but my 89 grinds to a halt when manipulating matrices with complex numbers and in vector calculus (why doesn't AMS have built in fuctions for gradient, curl, divergence and laplacian?).

The point isn't that these calculators are useful for engineers or math students - they look like they would be absolutely phenomenal for teaching calculus, precalc, and trig. That's what they are designed for. They may not be the most useful for solving real-world problems, but as teaching tools they may be unbeatable. I'm sure my high school math teachers are excited - they were really into getting a graphing calculator in the hands of all of their students to show graphs and so forth, and this type of thing would take that to the next level.

As someone teaching calculus, I would love for my students to be able to look at a formula for a function and figure out at least the general features of the graph without having to plot a whole bunch of points first, but this is a skill that very few of them possess. If calculators like this would help, I'm all for them.

Unfortunately, your poll doesn't include an option for me. I haven't used a graphing calculator to do anything I couldn't do with a scientific calculator in years, and a new line of calculators won't change that. On the other hand, I'm very excited about the possibilities these calculators open up as teaching tools.

The price is a little scary though - 190$ per at amazon, or 1550$ for a teacher's kit with 10 calculators.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I have my TI-Nspire CAS+ now.

The display and GUI are excellent, pointing is good. Straightforward filesystem, windowing is tolerable. Much quicker than TI-89 Titanium for most things.

The Graphing and Geometry app has interesting controls; very tactile.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:46 am UTC

I got my TI-Nspire CAS today. I think I'm in love. Even my dad who hates math loves it (He doesn't use it though, fuck that).
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

My only issue so far is that it is fairly easy to hang. Maybe I should upgrade the OS.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am UTC

I got mine today. The interface is nice and snappy, the large screen is very nice. The buttons take a little getting used to, but they're tolerable.

But TI really dropped the ball when it comes to programming. Even with the improvements of the latest OS, the programming capabilities of this thing are, well, nonexistant. If you want to do nothing but perform mathematical calculations, it's all right. For anything else it's useless.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Sc4Freak wrote:I got mine today. The interface is nice and snappy, the large screen is very nice. The buttons take a little getting used to, but they're tolerable.

Agreed.

Sc4Freak wrote:If you want to do nothing but perform mathematical calculations, it's all right.

Lucky me.

Return to “Mathematics”