Favorite math software (Numerical, graphical, or CAS)

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What are your favorite or most often used mathematical software packages? Pick up to five.

MATLAB
17%
Mathematica
21%
Maple
15%
Mathcad
2%
Scientific Workplace/Notebook with MuPad Pro
No votes
MuPad Pro
No votes
MuPad Light (Formerly available free version)
1%
Maxima/XMaxima
5%
GNU Octave
5%
Scilab
1%
Other COMMERCIAL
3%
Other FREE
10%
I roll my own...(programming)
13%
No Selection (Just see poll results!)
6%

Total votes: 86

ks_physicist

Favorite math software (Numerical, graphical, or CAS)

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

After answering the poll, maybe comment on what you use the software for. For example, I'm a physics teacher, and have a master's in physics. I learned on MATLAB, but have some experience in Mathematica, Maple, and Mathcad.

I'm now working on using free alternatives, since I can't expect my school to pop several thousand dollars for my lab on the software, when their curriculum does not specifically state "computational physics".

I'm just curious what various people use. (I did search, and saw no previous posts with the top five in them...)

Govalant

Re: Favorite math software (Numerical, graphical, or CAS)

Postby Govalant » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

I use Matlab and programming. I usually program in haskell, but when I get some weird syntax error that I don't feel like fixing I use C.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:22 am UTC

I like using Euler, but only because it is free. It also does some good 3D graphs, but I am currently driving myself up and down my walls trying to graph 3D implicit functions (read Nordstrand's Weird Surface). When I do fractals, I use Ultra-fractal. I have it distributed over all my friends' computers, so when I feel like doing a big render, I steal their clock cycles over the tubes.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Mathematica is what I've got on my computer, and so it's what I'm most used to. There's really no reason beyond that. :-) (I think I originally bought Mathematica because its student version was cheaper than Maple or MATLAB at the place where I bought it.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

llamapalooza
ambiguous antecedents

Postby llamapalooza » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:16 am UTC

I've always enjoyed Apple's Grapher that comes with every Mac. It's got its problems, but what doesn't?

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I've only used maple, so I don't really know the pros and cons of them all. I'm pretty pleased with it, but I still have a few things to figure out about it.

mudge

Postby mudge » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:55 am UTC

[hijack]

I could probably argue that TeX/LaTeX should be included, but I don't really believe it myself; that said, as frustrating as TeXing can be, I am more than a little enamored with how it comes out. Mmmm ... so gorgeous.

[/hijack]
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 am UTC

TeX can't actually /do/ any math, can it? It's just a publishing language.

mudge

Postby mudge » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:TeX can't actually /do/ any math, can it? It's just a publishing language.

[bullshit philosophical argument]

What does it mean to "do" math anyway? .... blah blah blah

[/bullshit philosophical argument]

dp

Postby dp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:40 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:TeX can't actually /do/ any math, can it? It's just a publishing language.

I'm fairly sure you can program in it (if you really really reallly want to) but that is its primary aim

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

TeX is Turing complete so sure it can. It however doesn't have any primitive notion of adding two numbers, so you'll have to do a lot of work by yourself.

mudge

Postby mudge » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:

TeX is Turing complete so sure it can. It however doesn't have any primitive notion of adding two numbers, so you'll have to do a lot of work by yourself.

I think using TeX to write a program to do math would fall under "roll your own"

TemperedMartensite

Postby TemperedMartensite » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Matlab is spectacular if you just want a quick and dirty way to get something done numerically fast without a lot of work.
Maple is amazing if you want to do something symbolically.
Win GSLIB is the only way to go for any geostatistical analysis. Also completely modifiable seeing as you are giving the source files and can modify the par files any way you like it. You can even create your own variogram fitting equations in 3 dimensions is you actually go into the code.
Lastly rolling your own - but 95% of the time, this is impractical when compared to alternatives.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:21 am UTC

mudge wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:

I think using TeX to write a program to do math would fall under WIN

FYP
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cuton

Postby Cuton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

Cplex/AMPL for solving large linear/integer programs. I could use Matlab in my other classes but it's not a necessity...

Cuton

szarka

Postby szarka » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

mudge wrote:I could probably argue that TeX/LaTeX should be included, but I don't really believe it myself; that said, as frustrating as TeXing can be, I am more than a little enamored with how it comes out. Mmmm ... so gorgeous.

Yeah, I wanted to vote for LaTeX. I started using it heavily this year and I still get a warm glow whenever I print out a proof...

niteice

Postby niteice » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Derive, which I believe is the name of the CAS used in the TI-89.

Is it as full-featured as others? No.
Is it as fast as others? No.
Is it as intuitive as others? Probably not.

But I'll be damned if I can find a better system that fits in my pocket.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:51 am UTC

I've used the TI-89 system occasionally, but I got off to a bad start. I remember the first few times I tried to do an integral with it, it choked. So I tried simpler versions, still choked, couldn't figure out why.

So I pretty much quit using it for several years. Recently, a few students were asking me about it, so we did some derivatives with it, and they thought that was cool. Gave it a crack at a few integrals, and it did fine. I can't remember what it was about the older integrals that made them special...so maybe the OS upgrades I have done since it was new have upgraded the symbolic engine.

I have wanted to learn LaTeX for years, but haven't had motivation (i.e. was never required to learn it) and haven't found the right resource to learn it from. I'd like to learn how to use it just to make nice technical documents for my classes.

hobbesmaster

Postby hobbesmaster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:41 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:So I pretty much quit using it for several years. Recently, a few students were asking me about it, so we did some derivatives with it, and they thought that was cool. Gave it a crack at a few integrals, and it did fine. I can't remember what it was about the older integrals that made them special...so maybe the OS upgrades I have done since it was new have upgraded the symbolic engine.

Could have been low batteries - the little BATT light goes on far too late, at least on mine. You have to let it sit if you try and give it something kinda complicated. The processor in there is like a PC from the mid 80s, so don't expect it to be as responsive as whatever you use in your workstation. (I would love a calculator with whats in the iPhone!)

szarka

Postby szarka » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:59 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:I have wanted to learn LaTeX for years, but haven't had motivation (i.e. was never required to learn it) and haven't found the right resource to learn it from. I'd like to learn how to use it just to make nice technical documents for my classes.

The Not So Short Intro to LaTeX is pretty painless. You can read through the important/easy bits in a half hour and be up and running with your first document quickly. Then go back to it to learn the other stuff (like graphics) as you need it, or grab some of the other documentation floating around all over the place.

Other than a brief exposure to raw TeX years ago, I hadn't used it before this semester. I just resolved to write all my proofs in LaTeX this semester and have picked up what I need as I go. There are still plenty of things I need to learn, but my proofs look so much prettier than my classmates'.. ;)

McHell

Postby McHell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

I have actually used it for calculations; not TeX per se but by way of PostScript (through \usepackage{pstricks}) --- you get it to calculate AND nicely typeset the answers and a graph. WIN!

I mostly used Mathematica (*nothing* beats FindInstance of Mathematica 5.0 and higher), but I don't have a licence anymore so I was looking around... I use it for graphs, but also for exploring relations and verifying algebraic manipulations: e.g. if you thinks something is impossible, before you prove it you use FindInstance and there! You're wrong! Instead of hours of failing.

I saw Maxima had the same nicety of Maple, that you can click on a 3d graph and move it around with the mouse as if you grab it with your hand --- in Mathematica that's frustratingly slow as you have to give the exact viewpoint: oftentimes a lot of trial-and-error before you get what you're happy with. I understand their mind in having it 100% reproduceable (but why don't you add a window saying the viewpoint and allow that viewpoint to be optionally added? Everybody wins!).

[So I installed Maxima yesterday on my Ubuntu but then it fails, it complains about LISP pipes that are broken. Thus Synaptic package manager has failed to require the correct Lisp stuff (out of a large heap) to be installed? I'll have to look at it.]

And indeed on Mac OSX, Grapher is an often-overlooked 2/3D graphing app that's really easy, practical and good-looking! Not industrial-strength, but it beats whatever you've ever done with a graphic calculator.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Yes, I do recall a postscript file that is designed to produce various iterations of the branching tree fractal. Called something like treephylum.ps, it uses the printer's processor and postscript language to do all the calculations and then print out a nice graphic.

Return to “Mathematics”